You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
West Virginia (WVSOM) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013
Started by JamesLMT
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
On interview day Angie said 200 will matriculate of 400 they interview.
Are you sure they only interview 400? How many of these do they accept? What is the avg gpa and MCAT of the class usually?
Are you sure they only interview 400? How many of these do they accept? What is the avg gpa and MCAT of the class usually?
Whoops I meant 600, they accept 400, my bad!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Whoops I meant 600, they accept 400, my bad!
That sounds more like what i ve heard too. do you know roughly how many students have accepted and paid their deposits for the fall?
That sounds more like what i ve heard too. do you know roughly how many students have accepted and paid their deposits for the fall?
I have absolutely no idea. I'm not sure if they would release that info.
I have absolutely no idea. I'm not sure if they would release that info.
Alright, well i ll remain optimistic that by my interview date I will have the opportunity to take one of the remaining spots.
Alright, well i ll remain optimistic that by my interview date I will have the opportunity to take one of the remaining spots.
You could try calling and asking if the interview is for waitlist or for open spots. I'm sure there's still seats available! Good luck!
You could try calling and asking if the interview is for waitlist or for open spots. I'm sure there's still seats available! Good luck!
I believe WVSOM is on spring break right now.
I believe WVSOM is on spring break right now.
Yeah they are. But you can leave a message. They are very good at getting back to you.
Anyone want to try and make me feel better about the OOS tuition? Seems way too high compared to other similar schools.
Sure, the cost of living is way cheaper than most other schools, so I feel like it more or less balances out to be very similar to most other schools
So I was accepted recently, and am thinking about housing options for next year. Any advice on where to get started? Any places where I can get more info? I'm exploring the options.
The student login portal has a link to some housing options, they mostly looked like house rentals and craigslist has some listings under WV in "southern WV" I think, there are a few options that I thought would work, like eastern WV but not much came up. Also some local realtor websites have some good information - though I don't have the links up right now, my wife has them saved somewhere and I can pm them to you if you like.
So I was accepted recently, and am thinking about housing options for next year. Any advice on where to get started? Any places where I can get more info? I'm exploring the options.
Join the facebook group. I'm assuming you're a guy (but that may be dangerous) and I know there are 2 or 3 different all-guy houses looking for another roommate right now.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
On the portal our decision stated: Accept with Contingency.
Has anyone received that? Do you know what the decision may be contingent on?
Look at the checklist to see if you are missing something.
So excited to interview here on April 12th! Any tips from those acccepted?
So excited to interview here on April 12th! Any tips from those acccepted?
Be yourself. Pretty relaxed.
On the portal our decision stated: Accept with Contingency.
Has anyone received that? Do you know what the decision may be contingent on?
When did you interview?
Stay calm and don't psych yourself out. WVSOM was my first interview and they made it extremely easy and try to get you to be yourself/calm. They never asked me a overly difficult question (as many have stated before)So excited to interview here on April 12th! Any tips from those acccepted?
So excited to interview here on April 12th! Any tips from those acccepted?
This interview was so laid back! Everyone was extremely friendly. The questions are not hard if you answer them honestly and from the heart. I was interviewed by three people. You may want to think about why you want to choose WVSOM specifically as opposed to other schools. I got that question and I answered very truthfully. I don't remember the exact things I said, but I mentioned the fact that as soon as I walked onto campus I felt right at home and comfortable. I talked about how the surrounding environment matched exactly what I was looking for from a medical school because having places to hike and explore will keep me sane and allow me to have a release from stress. This answer isn't a cookie-cutter answer, but it's 100% honest and they told me how much they appreciated that. So, bottom line, be yourself. This interview is so stress-free that you will easily be able to speak to your interviewers as if they were just regular people who aren't about to decide your fate in life lol. Good luck!
Thank you all for the quick response! I'll try to stay calm and be myself 🙂 I agree with being completely honest because it is a process for them to see if I am a good match for their program. I have been very transparent in past interviews, but this process has really made me learn to talk about myself and I usually don't do that. I'll keep y'all posted.
Has anyone from the group who interviewed on 3/13 heard anything back yet? This suspense is killing me!
I interviewed the week before you and got a letter in the mail almost 2 weeks later. Try to do something to take your mind off it! The portal wasn't updated for me until after I received the envelope.
Anyone want to throw in their 2 cents as to why wvsom? Having a tough time deciding my fate.
I interviewed the week before you and got a letter in the mail almost 2 weeks later. Try to do something to take your mind off it! The portal wasn't updated for me until after I received the envelope.
Anyone want to throw in their 2 cents as to why wvsom? Having a tough time deciding my fate.
The 50k tuition is the only thing holding me back. If it was 40k like others, then it would be sealed.
I interviewed the week before you and got a letter in the mail almost 2 weeks later. Try to do something to take your mind off it! The portal wasn't updated for me until after I received the envelope.
Anyone want to throw in their 2 cents as to why wvsom? Having a tough time deciding my fate.
This school is a perfect fit for me, regardless of the price tag, tight knit community, focus on rural medicine, education that is well rounded, and robots! 😀
So, I mentioned earlier that I have an interview at WVSOM April 12th, and now I just got an invite to interview on April 12th for KYCOM. I have to make a decision soon. Anyone that has interviewed both places, I would really appreciate some advice. Please let me know why you like one better than the other, you can PM me if you'd like. Thanks in advance!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I interviewed 3/15 and I just got a letter today, so far nothing has happened with my portal online
So if your portal is NOT updated, that is a good thing?
yea I interviewed on the 15th as well and my portal hasn't been updated and no letter in the mail yet. I'm assuming they've reviewed the 3/15 applications so i guess we'll be hearing back soon. From my understanding, once you're put on an alternate list, you have the possibility to snag a spot if someone drops, you get auto accepted for the following year without having to re-apply, or nothing happens and you do have to re-apply but i think that the latter is the least common. Or at least that's what I was lead to believe. Good luck though.
Anyone who interviewed on March 25th got a reply back yet?
Can anyone tell me what my chances are at WVSOM?
Illinois resident
3.7 cGPA, 3.5-3.6 sGPA
25 MCAT (9PS 7VR 9BS)
Lots of volunteering, EMT, shadowing, tennis coach, some clubs, research, DO letter
applying early this coming cycle
Hey, you and I are on the same boat. My stats were actually exactly like yours...identical. Except my GPA was a 3.5 from UCLA. I'm also an Illinois resident even though I went to UCLA for 4 years. I had 3 years of research and 2 publications, I did lots of shadowing of DO's, I volunteered in non-profit as a clinical assistant, did swimming in college, and was the co-founder and president of UCLA's pre-SOMA. I applied very very early and interviewed September 21st, which is very early. Then they accepted me VERY shortly after.
I think you have a great shot. If you get invited to the interview, it means they like you on paper and just want to see how you are as a person. If they invited me to interview with my stats, they are most likely going to do the same with you. The key part of the application process is successfully conveying to them that you would be the type of student they are looking for. And they are mainly looking for students who are passionate about providing care to much needed rural areas. If you can show them that you are passionate about, or even just very open to, serving underserved areas (bonus if you say you want to stay in WV specifically) then I think you'd do great. The school is so laid back and even the admissions committee included some of the sweetest and most genuine people I have ever met. They made the day about you, not them. They set the whole day up to make you, the applicant, comfortable and feel like you can be yourself. This was my second ever medical school interview and I was not breaking a sweat at all. The environment made me feel confident in myself and I brought out my A game, which I noticed that some interviewers did not do. I think they let the situation get to their heads and got nervous as a result.
Anyways, my point after this whole essay was that I think that if your personality is genuine and you're not so hard on yourself during the interview process then you have a great chance. Good luck! Hope you get in. Don't stress and try to enjoy the process as much as you can.
anybody know how full the class is at this point?
Thanks, so did basically everyone who interviewed 3/15 or 3/25 get alternate listed?
Thanks, so did basically everyone who interviewed 3/15 or 3/25 get alternate listed?
I think the 3/25 decision will be made by tomorrow. Someone from 3/15 interview got accepted.
I interviewed on 3/13 and my portal says that my decision is still pending... Wondering if I have any hope or not.
I interviewed on 3/13 and my portal says that my decision is still pending... Wondering if I have any hope or not.
Check the mail at your permanent address, that's how I found out
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Can a current WVSOM student please post his/her 1st yr class schedule? Thanks
Can someone explain to me the alternative list at wvsom? Is it the same as a wait-list or something different?
It's slightly better than waitlisted, meaning you have a chance of being admitted to the 2018 class.
It's slightly better than waitlisted, meaning you have a chance of being admitted to the 2018 class.
do you know around how many people are accepted to either 2017 or 2018 class?
Similar threads
- Replies
- 130
- Views
- 27K
- Replies
- 373
- Views
- 81K
- Replies
- 376
- Views
- 77K
- Replies
- 137
- Views
- 40K