West Virginia (WVSOM) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
They asked me about research, clinical plans, what would be an ideal physician...etc. super obnoxiously laid back lol

Congrats spartan!

Sent from my PantechP9090 using SDN Mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats to everyone accepted. Hope to see you guys in August!

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got an ii here!

Sent from my SCH-I405 using SDN Mobile

Just got an interview for next week (2/22)!

My interview is early march. Any clue how full the class is? It seems as though ppl are still getting acceptances...

Sent from my SCH-I405 using SDN Mobile

Not really sure. It seems like they're still accepting people. I got a phone call this morning asking to schedule an interview - that's how I got next week.

I have been looking back at previous posts and I did get a lot of my questions answered, with regards to the interview process. But could anyone else provide any additional details?

Also, how many individuals do they interview for each session (morning/afternoon)?

Last edited:
Mine's been that way since Sept. too...I have a feeling at this point, it essentially means we've been rejected :(
mine says the same, I sent a letter of interest and they said that they will update me if anything changes. but i also think we are not having a shot at this school =(

Hey, for out of state interviewees, do you guys have recommendations for places to stay at the night before?

Does anyone know if there is any validity to these stats about WVSOM

From the 2011 thread:

http://mobile.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=11721753&postcount=226

According to US News and World Report not sure what year but either 2009 or 2010 (broke down and paid the 20$ a few months back):

Instate- Applied: 153 , Interviewed: 73 , Accepted: 45, Enrolled: 34

OutofState- Applied: 3299 , Interviewed: 449 , Accepted: 434, Enrolled: 168

So for out of staters it would seem to work out to 96.6% acceptance rate from interview stage? Probably not legit haha Im assuming the instate sounds about right tho.. Figure out of state is more like 649 and 434.

Last edited:
Not really sure. It seems like they're still accepting people. I got a phone call this morning asking to schedule an interview - that's how I got next week.

I have been looking back at previous posts and I did get a lot of my questions answered, with regards to the interview process. But could anyone else provide any additional details?

Also, how many individuals do they interview for each session (morning/afternoon)?

It's 4+4, with a tour/lunch in the middle that all of you take together.

Hey, for out of state interviewees, do you guys have recommendations for places to stay at the night before?

I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express. Campus is a straight shot down the road. But really, anything you find on Priceline will probably set you straight.

Does anyone know if there is any validity to these stats about WVSOM

From the 2011 thread:

http://mobile.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=11721753&postcount=226

According to US News and World Report not sure what year but either 2009 or 2010 (broke down and paid the 20$ a few months back):

Instate- Applied: 153 , Interviewed: 73 , Accepted: 45, Enrolled: 34

OutofState- Applied: 3299 , Interviewed: 449 , Accepted: 434, Enrolled: 168

So for out of staters it would seem to work out to 96.6% acceptance rate from interview stage? Probably not legit haha Im assuming the instate sounds about right tho.. Figure out of state is more like 649 and 434.

I dunno, but I'd wager that their IS bias isn't that strong. But you also have to take into account with those numbers that they just didn't draw that many people from in-state.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah their instate bias is actually one of the weakest among schools with big diffs in IS and OOS tuition.

Yeah their instate bias is actually one of the weakest among schools with big diffs in IS and OOS tuition.

Probably because Marshal and WVU are fairly easy to get into if your IS in WV. Aka not everyone at WVSOM on my interview day was OOS.

Probably because Marshal and WVU are fairly easy to get into if your IS in WV. Aka not everyone at WVSOM on my interview day was OOS.
Guh, yeah. WVU loves instate. I just couldn't go there. Too awful of a place lol. I've met a lot of people from my undergraduate college that hate it there, too. To each his own, though.

Just received a call form Angie... I've been accepted!

Note: make sure your address is correct. WVSOM sent me my acceptance letter a while back but to my old address... and I guess it was hard for them to call me too since I was overseas... whoops haha

Now to decide between WVSOM and VCOM-Carolinas... :confused:

When did you interview? And congrats!

Any acceptances recently? Seems like the class is mostly full, and they are probably doing waitlists at this point.

Any acceptances recently? Seems like the class is mostly full, and they are probably doing waitlists at this point.

Could be, but I wouldn't worry about waitlist status until may or june. If those stastistics before are true, then a lot of people turn down acceptance. I've known many people to be rolled over, as well.

I was interviewed on the 8th and I thought it went well. Just received a decision deferred response. I am out of state, 3.65 gpa 3.9 science 23 mcat 70 shadow and well over 300 volunteer. Medical experience as a CNA and phlebotomy. Thought i had a good shot, anyone know if I just got the death penalty? Anyone know stats that help this situation?

I was told by a friend who interviewed on 25th that Annette said there were still spots open....

Interview invite today. 3.51 cGPA, 3,44 sGPA. 30M MCAT. Anyone else interviewing March 25?

It seems like they interview 600 and accept around 400 for a class of 200. Anybody have more info on this?

How long do the interviews last?

All of the interviews on my interview day were around 30 minutes. On this site if you go up to reference materials and click on interview feedback you can get a lot of good information about what to expect!

How long do the interviews last?
Within 5 minutes they had finished asking me questions, and I asked 5 minutes worth of questions and was done. But I was also towards the very end, whereas people earlier in the day and before me had interviews running up until 30 minutes

I was away for the past few days and didn't check, but I woke up to a nice surprise this morning! ACCEPTED! Interviewed 2/22

Within 5 minutes they had finished asking me questions, and I asked 5 minutes worth of questions and was done. But I was also towards the very end, whereas people earlier in the day and before me had interviews running up until 30 minutes

:O wow. Something similar happened to me, but now within 5 minutes.

As for the 30M mcat, I'd say you have a good chance. Problem is, though, that class size is getting full. If you get an interview, it pretty much means they like you and want to get to know you on a personal level. In fact, I can almost guarantee that most people with decent stats get rolled over for next years class, AT THE VERY LEAST. :spam:

:O wow. Something similar happened to me, but now within 5 minutes.

As for the 30M mcat, I'd say you have a good chance. Problem is, though, that class size is getting full. If you get an interview, it pretty much means they like you and want to get to know you on a personal level. In fact, I can almost guarantee that most people with decent stats get rolled over for next years class, AT THE VERY LEAST. :spam:

Exactly how many people of the ones they interview do they accept?

How long after the interview should one expect to hear back?

Hey y'all! Declined my acceptance to WVSOM. I'll be heading to VCOM-CC instead! Best of luck with those interviewing and on the waitlist as well as those of you already accepted! :luck::thumbup:

I was accepted ~2.5 weeks ago; I interviewed Jan 28. Really relaxed interview and Annette was a sweetheart even though none of us would really talk to her.

From what I have seen from sdn, about 3-4 of us were accepted in the Jan 28th interview. Seven people interviewed that day so it seems like there were still accepting about 40-50% of the people they were interviewing in late January. There is hope.

Interviewed last date in feb. assuming I should know something by end of march or before.

Hey guys,

Any advice on where to stay when I fly out there for my interview?

Interviewed last date in feb. assuming I should know something by end of march or before.

I know someone from that date has already been accepted.

eperloff said:
Hey guys,

Any advice on where to stay when I fly out there for my interview?

Just the same. Be yourself and try to relax. It's very laid back and a helpful process. There is still a chance. I think WVSOM is looking for candidates they fit, not vice versa.

Just declined by acceptance. Best of luck to those of you still waiting!

Interviewed 2/20, didn't have DO letter in until 3/4 for file to be complete, got acceptance today, 3/12. So given the delay from the DO letter, the turn around time seemed pretty fast

The $2000 deposit due in 2 weeks for accepted applicants is insane!