You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
West Virginia (WVSOM) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013
Started by JamesLMT
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just got an ii here!
Sent from my SCH-I405 using SDN Mobile
Sent from my SCH-I405 using SDN Mobile
Congrats!!! You must be so excited! What's the date?!Just got an ii here!
Sent from my SCH-I405 using SDN Mobile
My interview is early march. Any clue how full the class is? It seems as though ppl are still getting acceptances...
Sent from my SCH-I405 using SDN Mobile
Sent from my SCH-I405 using SDN Mobile
Not really sure. It seems like they're still accepting people. I got a phone call this morning asking to schedule an interview - that's how I got next week.
I have been looking back at previous posts and I did get a lot of my questions answered, with regards to the interview process. But could anyone else provide any additional details?
Also, how many individuals do they interview for each session (morning/afternoon)?
I have been looking back at previous posts and I did get a lot of my questions answered, with regards to the interview process. But could anyone else provide any additional details?
Also, how many individuals do they interview for each session (morning/afternoon)?
Last edited:
mine says the same, I sent a letter of interest and they said that they will update me if anything changes. but i also think we are not having a shot at this school =(Mine's been that way since Sept. too...I have a feeling at this point, it essentially means we've been rejected 🙁
Congrats! What's the date (if you prefer, pm me)?My interview is early march. Any clue how full the class is? It seems as though ppl are still getting acceptances...
Sent from my SCH-I405 using SDN Mobile
Does anyone know if there is any validity to these stats about WVSOM
From the 2011 thread:
http://mobile.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=11721753&postcount=226
According to US News and World Report not sure what year but either 2009 or 2010 (broke down and paid the 20$ a few months back):
Instate- Applied: 153 , Interviewed: 73 , Accepted: 45, Enrolled: 34
OutofState- Applied: 3299 , Interviewed: 449 , Accepted: 434, Enrolled: 168
So for out of staters it would seem to work out to 96.6% acceptance rate from interview stage? Probably not legit haha Im assuming the instate sounds about right tho.. Figure out of state is more like 649 and 434.
From the 2011 thread:
http://mobile.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=11721753&postcount=226
According to US News and World Report not sure what year but either 2009 or 2010 (broke down and paid the 20$ a few months back):
Instate- Applied: 153 , Interviewed: 73 , Accepted: 45, Enrolled: 34
OutofState- Applied: 3299 , Interviewed: 449 , Accepted: 434, Enrolled: 168
So for out of staters it would seem to work out to 96.6% acceptance rate from interview stage? Probably not legit haha Im assuming the instate sounds about right tho.. Figure out of state is more like 649 and 434.
Last edited:
Not really sure. It seems like they're still accepting people. I got a phone call this morning asking to schedule an interview - that's how I got next week.
I have been looking back at previous posts and I did get a lot of my questions answered, with regards to the interview process. But could anyone else provide any additional details?
Also, how many individuals do they interview for each session (morning/afternoon)?
It's 4+4, with a tour/lunch in the middle that all of you take together.
Hey, for out of state interviewees, do you guys have recommendations for places to stay at the night before?
I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express. Campus is a straight shot down the road. But really, anything you find on Priceline will probably set you straight.
Does anyone know if there is any validity to these stats about WVSOM
From the 2011 thread:
http://mobile.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=11721753&postcount=226
According to US News and World Report not sure what year but either 2009 or 2010 (broke down and paid the 20$ a few months back):
Instate- Applied: 153 , Interviewed: 73 , Accepted: 45, Enrolled: 34
OutofState- Applied: 3299 , Interviewed: 449 , Accepted: 434, Enrolled: 168
So for out of staters it would seem to work out to 96.6% acceptance rate from interview stage? Probably not legit haha Im assuming the instate sounds about right tho.. Figure out of state is more like 649 and 434.
I dunno, but I'd wager that their IS bias isn't that strong. But you also have to take into account with those numbers that they just didn't draw that many people from in-state.
Yeah their instate bias is actually one of the weakest among schools with big diffs in IS and OOS tuition.
Probably because Marshal and WVU are fairly easy to get into if your IS in WV. Aka not everyone at WVSOM on my interview day was OOS.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Guh, yeah. WVU loves instate. I just couldn't go there. Too awful of a place lol. I've met a lot of people from my undergraduate college that hate it there, too. To each his own, though.Probably because Marshal and WVU are fairly easy to get into if your IS in WV. Aka not everyone at WVSOM on my interview day was OOS.
Just received a call form Angie... I've been accepted!
Note: make sure your address is correct. WVSOM sent me my acceptance letter a while back but to my old address... and I guess it was hard for them to call me too since I was overseas... whoops haha
Now to decide between WVSOM and VCOM-Carolinas... 😕
Note: make sure your address is correct. WVSOM sent me my acceptance letter a while back but to my old address... and I guess it was hard for them to call me too since I was overseas... whoops haha
Now to decide between WVSOM and VCOM-Carolinas... 😕
Any acceptances recently? Seems like the class is mostly full, and they are probably doing waitlists at this point.
Could be, but I wouldn't worry about waitlist status until may or june. If those stastistics before are true, then a lot of people turn down acceptance. I've known many people to be rolled over, as well.
I was interviewed on the 8th and I thought it went well. Just received a decision deferred response. I am out of state, 3.65 gpa 3.9 science 23 mcat 70 shadow and well over 300 volunteer. Medical experience as a CNA and phlebotomy. Thought i had a good shot, anyone know if I just got the death penalty? Anyone know stats that help this situation?
Any acceptances recently? Seems like the class is mostly full, and they are probably doing waitlists at this point.
I was told by a friend who interviewed on 25th that Annette said there were still spots open....
How long do the interviews last?
All of the interviews on my interview day were around 30 minutes. On this site if you go up to reference materials and click on interview feedback you can get a lot of good information about what to expect!
Within 5 minutes they had finished asking me questions, and I asked 5 minutes worth of questions and was done. But I was also towards the very end, whereas people earlier in the day and before me had interviews running up until 30 minutesHow long do the interviews last?
Within 5 minutes they had finished asking me questions, and I asked 5 minutes worth of questions and was done. But I was also towards the very end, whereas people earlier in the day and before me had interviews running up until 30 minutes
:O wow. Something similar happened to me, but now within 5 minutes.
As for the 30M mcat, I'd say you have a good chance. Problem is, though, that class size is getting full. If you get an interview, it pretty much means they like you and want to get to know you on a personal level. In fact, I can almost guarantee that most people with decent stats get rolled over for next years class, AT THE VERY LEAST.

:O wow. Something similar happened to me, but now within 5 minutes.
As for the 30M mcat, I'd say you have a good chance. Problem is, though, that class size is getting full. If you get an interview, it pretty much means they like you and want to get to know you on a personal level. In fact, I can almost guarantee that most people with decent stats get rolled over for next years class, AT THE VERY LEAST.![]()
Exactly how many people of the ones they interview do they accept?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How long after the interview should one expect to hear back?
Anywhere from a few days to a few weeks. Live in the portal.
Anywhere from a few days to a few weeks. Live in the portal.
+1
It took 7 business days for me. I got a letter first. When did you interview, again Dr. Dazzle?
Last edited:
+1
It took 7 business days for me. I got a letter first. When did you interview, again Dr. Dazzle?
A few days ago, so I guess I should keep checking the portal.
+1
It took 7 business days for me. I got a letter first. When did you interview, again Dr. Dazzle?
My letter didn't arrive for a while, but the portal turned over the following Monday. Not sure how their post-interview process works.
A few days ago, so I guess I should keep checking the portal.
👍
A few days ago, so I guess I should keep checking the portal.
You must have interviewed with a friend of mine. Shaved head lol. Funny how things work.
I was accepted ~2.5 weeks ago; I interviewed Jan 28. Really relaxed interview and Annette was a sweetheart even though none of us would really talk to her.
From what I have seen from sdn, about 3-4 of us were accepted in the Jan 28th interview. Seven people interviewed that day so it seems like there were still accepting about 40-50% of the people they were interviewing in late January. There is hope.Any acceptances recently? Seems like the class is mostly full, and they are probably doing waitlists at this point.
Interviewed last date in feb. assuming I should know something by end of march or before.
I know someone from that date has already been accepted.
eperloff said:Hey guys,
Any advice on where to stay when I fly out there for my interview?
Just the same. Be yourself and try to relax. It's very laid back and a helpful process. There is still a chance. I think WVSOM is looking for candidates they fit, not vice versa.
Has anyone who interviewed on Monday 3/4/12 heard back yet?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The $2000 deposit due in 2 weeks for accepted applicants is insane!
True that. Luckily I'm in state so it was only 1000. I had money saved up for this, though.
True that. Luckily I'm in state so it was only 1000. I had money saved up for this, though.
Lucky! Instate is the best deal ever for this school.
Anyone knows what the class size of "class of 2017" will be?
Currently there are 180 members on the 2017 facebook
http://www.facebook.com/groups/154458718033143/?fref=ts
While there are 375 members on the 2016 facebook.
http://www.facebook.com/groups/125578610880293/?fref=ts
Thank you
Currently there are 180 members on the 2017 facebook
http://www.facebook.com/groups/154458718033143/?fref=ts
While there are 375 members on the 2016 facebook.
http://www.facebook.com/groups/125578610880293/?fref=ts
Thank you
Anyone knows what the class size of "class of 2017" will be?
Currently there are 180 members on the 2017 facebook
http://www.facebook.com/groups/154458718033143/?fref=ts
While there are 375 members on the 2016 facebook.
http://www.facebook.com/groups/125578610880293/?fref=ts
Thank you
I'd like to know the numbers too if anyone knows. I interview in 10 days and hope to join the 2017 class..
Similar threads
- Replies
- 130
- Views
- 28K
- Replies
- 373
- Views
- 81K
- Replies
- 376
- Views
- 77K
- Replies
- 137
- Views
- 40K
