West Virginia (WVSOM) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Any other interview invite for Feb 4th?

Members don't see this ad :)
So when I check my Application Summary/Checklist is says:

Application Status: In process
Decision: Accept Applicant

Does that mean what I hope it does?

Last edited:
I ve been decision pending for two weeks. is this normal? does the admin require all of the grades and scores to be in before they offer a secondary? :/

I ve been decision pending for two weeks. is this normal? does the admin require all of the grades and scores to be in before they offer a secondary? :/

Is your file pretty much complete with MCAT score and all? They only give secondaries if you have received an interview, so it's unlike most other schools in that sense. For example my buddy hasn't taken his MCAT yet (it's tomorrow), so even though he submitted his app a long time ago, he is still decision pending due to no MCAT score

Is your file pretty much complete with MCAT score and all? They only give secondaries if you have received an interview, so it's unlike most other schools in that sense. For example my buddy hasn't taken his MCAT yet (it's tomorrow), so even though he submitted his app a long time ago, he is still decision pending due to no MCAT score

Alright, I m in the same boat. I m taking mine in two days. (3.1s/3.3c) so shooting for a 28 or better! I'm in-state so hopefully that will help a small bit.

I am interviewing here on Monday! Its my first interview so I'm a little nervous- any tips???

Any advice on housing in the area? My internet research has yielded pretty limited results so far.

Any advice on housing in the area? My internet research has yielded pretty limited results so far.

the school will give you information on the housing options for students come spring time on their web site. your options are lewisburg, fairlea, or ronceverte for the most part. the farther away from school you go, the better the deal; with that in mind, remember that gas plays a little part into living away from school also. most importantly, don't stress out about anything, it'll take care of itself in due time :)

Members don't see this ad :)

you should join the facebook group. there have been a few discussions about housing on there

Mine's been that way since Sept. too...I have a feeling at this point, it essentially means we've been rejected :(

Possibly, but they could be waiting on AMCAS and TMDSAS to finish their admissions process to see how full their class actually is? No since in interviewing people who are not going to attend if they were offered.

Going to withdraw interview (2/25/13). Hopefully one of you guys waiting gets it!
Good luck!

you should join the facebook group. there have been a few discussions about housing on there

x2 I'm trying not to stress about it until my second deposit is in and I find out what my loan situation is like.

Had my interview on 28th. Everyone is right....incredibly relaxed. I was bothered a little, though, buecase I feel like I didn't really get asked a lot of questions. Like, stock questions I feel like everyone should be asked -- no strengths, no weaknesses, no why osteopathic, no primary care, etc.

Anyone else have a similar experience?

Had my interview on 28th. Everyone is right....incredibly relaxed. I was bothered a little, though, buecase I feel like I didn't really get asked a lot of questions. Like, stock questions I feel like everyone should be asked -- no strengths, no weaknesses, no why osteopathic, no primary care, etc.

I interviewed on the 28th as well and I feel the same way. It was very laid back and I think it went well but at the same time I'm worried because I don't know what they were looking for. I wasn't asked about osteopathic medicine at all other than if I had ever had OMM performed on myself- which I found kinda odd. They picked very specific/personal things from my application and asked about them, they asked about how I would handle the stress of medical school, why WVSOM etc. It was a very short interview, but who knows.

Yeah, why wvsom. I didn't get asked about stress, either. Which I assumed they would definitely ask about. Yeah. Hope things pan out the way we want them to. To be honest, I kind of felt like the only one paying attention to what I was saying was the black dude on the left lol

haha I was in the morning group so I had different interviewers but yea I had one interviewer who didn't ask any questions.

Oh well now we wait!

Don't stress guys, that's the way they run their interview. I did get asked about primary care and rural medicine, but it's all over my app, and I also mentioned that's why I wanted to go to WVSOM. I was afraid I didn't ask enough questions, but it was fine in the end.

Rural med was all over my app, too. How long did it take for your acceptance? I know they say week or two, but I'm curious for actualy students, know what I mean?

for me it was a week, for a friend of mine it was 2 weeks, some people the next day if they interview on monday since the committee tends to meet on tuesdays

tomorrow could be our day ocellicyst!! :) fingers crossed

Im worried because its getting close to the time last year that people were getting put on the alternate list...

haha, I hope so. I'd like to say I wouldn't care about being wait listed then accepted in May . . . but I can't. Too much damn stress. I'll be checking my email regularly lol

Are you oos or instate?

Deposit sent! Now I guess I twiddle my fingers until July.

They kind of suss you out from your application and use the interview to tie things up. I got asked a lot about my international experiences, clinical experiences, and grades (because they're turrible, lol).

Possibly, but they could be waiting on AMCAS and TMDSAS to finish their admissions process to see how full their class actually is? No since in interviewing people who are not going to attend if they were offered.
Don't
forget they roll over last years waitlist to admitted this year. So. probably started out with about 75 acceptances .

Anybody know what it means to have an interview here in late Feb? Are they pretty much interviewing for the wait list at this point?

Just received my acceptance today via snail mail!!! I interviewed on 1/25. Unreal! It's the first one out of the cycle! :thumbup:

Just received my acceptance today via snail mail!!! I interviewed on 1/25. Unreal! It's the first one out of the cycle! :thumbup:

Yay! Congratulations! nice to hear- maybe there's hope for us 1/28ers yet!

Anyone know if out of state students can qualify for instate tuition after attending for 1-2 years?

Thanks

Anyone know if out of state students can qualify for instate tuition after attending for 1-2 years?

Thanks

No, you have to live and work full time in WV while not attending school for at least year before you can apply to be in state.

Anybody get an interview recently?

I am interviewing there on the 15th of february. Cannot wait, but from what i read, the interview is very specific on grades, scores etc... Thats nerve racking a bit.

Just received my acceptance today via snail mail!!! I interviewed on 1/25. Unreal! It's the first one out of the cycle!!
Ha! Same here! Congrats! See you guys there in august!

I am interviewing there on the 15th of february. Cannot wait, but from what i read, the interview is very specific on grades, scores etc... Thats nerve racking a bit.

Seriously! You heard wrong! Just come and really let them know who you are. That is what they care about. You have already got their ear with you "numbers" that is why you get to come interview. This school is very laid back with interviews. Make sure to take full advantage of your lunch with the students too they are a great resource for you to find out if this is where you want to be.

Hi, do you mind sharing your stats? Just trying to gauge the applicant pool at this time.

Only if it's a red flag (like my grades). And really, all they did was say "so we noticed your GPA. what would you say was your most challenging class?"

Do the interviewers ask questions from secondary app or is the focus on stats and primary application?

Also, do most accepted students express interest in rural medicine?

Does anyone know what the status page says if they decide not to accept you after an interview? or how they notify you

Last edited:
Does anyone know what the status page says if they decide not to accept you after an interview? or how they notify you
Mine has not changed, but I got an acceptance letter. It says decision deferred if you get wait listed, accept applicant if accepted, decision pending if not known yet, and ... well I'm not sure about rejection.

Mine has not changed, but I got an acceptance letter. It says decision deferred if you get wait listed, accept applicant if accepted, decision pending if not known yet, and ... well I'm not sure about rejection.

Yep. It'll roll over to "Accept Applicant", and a letter is on the way. The timeline for this post-interview varies.

Can someone describe the interview as far as what questions are asked?