West Virginia (WVSOM) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Regarding curriculum the previous posters weren't exactly correct. Up till 2014 (my class) the incoming students could pick either problem -based (independent/group study) or lecture curriculum. We had only lecture-based but the 2nd year PBL's continued in their track. Some that failed joined our second year. Seemed to be a problem because they often lacked some of the thorough background we had gotten in first year.

Kate

It was probably changed because of that.

Members don't see this ad.

Well I just got the app on hold email. 3.4cGPA and 3.5sGPA. 4000 hours health care exp.

Members don't see this ad :)
Talked to Annette today. She said that the admissions committee is behind. The class of 2016 just started this week and now they can focus on applications. She also mentioned that they had received a lot more applications thus far as well. Thats all that she would elude to though.

Talked to Annette today. She said that the admissions committee is behind. The class of 2016 just started this week and now they can focus on applications. She also mentioned that they had received a lot more applications thus far as well. Thats all that she would elude to though.

Thanks for the update!

I just checked my status and I am no longer "decision deferred." It switched over to "decision pending."

Hmm - I'd heard it was about 27 MCAT with about that GPA - 3.6. Attitude is a huge factor in getting in - they are looking for folks that will be compassionate, service-minded physicians, with ENOUGH academic credentials to indicate that they will probably be successful.

They admit a lot of people with MCAT's in the 30's and quite a bit in the 20's as well.

Regarding curriculum the previous posters weren't exactly correct. Up till 2014 (my class) the incoming students could pick either problem -based (independent/group study) or lecture curriculum. We had only lecture-based but the 2nd year PBL's continued in their track. Some that failed joined our second year. Seemed to be a problem because they often lacked some of the thorough background we had gotten in first year.

Our curriculum incorporated parts of the PBL learning: we had group learning activities with case studies which turned out to be really great learning resources.

The new curriculum for the first years (which they started designing in 2013) goes live with this incoming class and is "case-based learning" based on most recent educational research regarding what is the most effective way to educate med students. The school tends to respond well and quickly to student feedback ((I was on the curriculum committee as a student rep), and improve anything that has kinks in it. Wouldn't worry too much --excellent, excellent professors in the main.

Kate

not sure if i buy that.

in the FAQ it says 22-23 and 3.4 sGPA is competitive.

Members don't see this ad :)
just checked the site. also got an interview for sept. 24. goodluck to everyone !

Just checked the portal to find out I have an interview on September 12!!

I've been Decision Pending the whole time..
Nice Mike! Congrats!! This makes two, or you hiding more? Campbell and WVSOM?

My interview is on September 14th. I looked at airfare and it is a little expensive, but well worth it for this school!

I was previously deferred before I got my log on info. Once I got that, I was decision pending. I found out by checking my sign in page. Good luck to everyone.

Did anyone receive an email from WVSOM in regards to hotels and/or airport directions. In the primary email it says they will email BEFORE updates on the site, but I haven't received any such email. I know I'm rushing it a bit, but just curious.

Just checked online and it says their OOS tuition is 49,000 as compared to an IS tuition of 19,000. That sucks.

Nice Mike! Congrats!! This makes two, or you hiding more? Campbell and WVSOM?

My interview is on September 14th. I looked at airfare and it is a little expensive, but well worth it for this school!

I was previously deferred before I got my log on info. Once I got that, I was decision pending. I found out by checking my sign in page. Good luck to everyone.

Thanks! Congrats to you too, I got an invite from DMU a couple days ago... I am overly excited, just getting nervous for interviews now!

Did anyone receive an email from WVSOM in regards to hotels and/or airport directions. In the primary email it says they will email BEFORE updates on the site, but I haven't received any such email. I know I'm rushing it a bit, but just curious.

I didn't get the email yet, I just found out by checking the portal

Interview invite!! Found out by checking the portal. I'm scheduled for 9/28. cGPA 3.4 sGPA 3.3 28P with a crap ton of clinical experience. My status was always decision pending.

Last edited:
Here is some great information from Kate429 a current WVSOM student regarding interviews:

However, what historically happens (according to one of the professors on the admissions committee that I was talking with Friday), is that anyone they ask to interview they are pretty interested in. If all 10 students interviewing one day do well in their interviews (no red flags), they might accept most or all of them. They have rolling admissions. So anyone interviewing later in the cycle (after December) is more likely to be waitlisted because they may already have acceptances filling the available spaces.

Congrats to everyone today and just be yourself come interview (they like you :))

Holy moly getting here from the West Coast is expensive (700-800 with a hotel room over a month in advance). Anyone finding anything better?

From WVSOM Admission FAQ:

My decision status shows as "decision deferred"- what does this mean?

The "decision deferred" status indicates a hold status. While your application is being reviewed and until a final decision is made the Admissions Committee will periodically review files which were initially deferred. For example, your application may be placed on hold ("decision deferred") because we are awaiting official MCAT scores or fall grades. Any changes in your status will be communicated by e-mail.

Here is some great information from Kate429 a current WVSOM student regarding interviews:

However, what historically happens (according to one of the professors on the admissions committee that I was talking with Friday), is that anyone they ask to interview they are pretty interested in. If all 10 students interviewing one day do well in their interviews (no red flags), they might accept most or all of them. They have rolling admissions. So anyone interviewing later in the cycle (after December) is more likely to be waitlisted because they may already have acceptances filling the available spaces.

Congrats to everyone today and just be yourself come interview (they like you :))

that was actually very reassuring. thank you for posting that. helped calm my nerves a little!! :bow:

II for me too on the portal. Sept 19.

I don't know a lot about this school. Is it a pretty desirable school? Do they have good networking in the area for clinicals etc? Accept many OOS? Any info would be appreciated.

I don't know a lot about this school. Is it a pretty desirable school? Do they have good networking in the area for clinicals etc? Accept many OOS? Any info would be appreciated.

OOS friendly but about 50k a year. Third year is done throughout the state. Ranked by U.S News as a top school for rural medicine ( and I think primary care). That's all I have at the top of my head that I've gathered from here or their website. The location is supposed to be pretty decent.

From WVSOM Admission FAQ:

My decision status shows as "decision deferred"- what does this mean?

The "decision deferred" status indicates a hold status. While your application is being reviewed and until a final decision is made the Admissions Committee will periodically review files which were initially deferred. For example, your application may be placed on hold ("decision deferred") because we are awaiting official MCAT scores or fall grades. Any changes in your status will be communicated by e-mail.

Seems that everyone that applied early and are on decision deferred didn't get an interview yet. I guess it doesn't pay to be early in this case lol

Hey dudeliness. WVSOM is very desirable school. You can check the previous years WVSOM thread for some student options.

Pros: If you want to be primary care, this is the school for you. You get excellent early patient contact. As a WVSOM student in your first year you can see patients by yourself in the on campus primary care clinic. So right away you can apply what you learn to patients with real life problems. Before this you have a physician that you will shadow who will teach you how to take history and interact with patients. There is also a strong alumni with this school, which will help greatly with residency. The tuition for this school might be higher than some, but lots included with that. You get a laptop with all the programs you need. Almost all your books are online, thus you have less cost for books than other schools. In addition to this, they are really with the times. They have all the high end technology with robotics (which they are currently expanding). The give you free access to up-to-date, awesome library resources, train you in electronic patient records, etc. They started a great new curriculum last year that has a lot of PBL learning mixed in. So they are really about integrating what you learn to everyday practice. If you have a wife and kids, this small town has a lot to offer. Also, there is lots of great rotation sites available in WV. They also have a community rotation program that allows you to see how a lot of the specialties are like in a community rural setting (if that is for you).

Cons: There are some, but it just depends on your perspective.

Sorry for the disorganization. Hope this helps. You can always check their website; very resourceful.

Hey dudeliness. WVSOM is very desirable school. You can check the previous years WVSOM thread for some student options.

Pros: If you want to be primary care, this is the school for you. You get excellent early patient contact. As a WVSOM student in your first year you can see patients by yourself in the on campus primary care clinic. So right away you can apply what you learn to patients with real life problems. Before this you have a physician that you will shadow who will teach you how to take history and interact with patients. There is also a strong alumni with this school, which will help greatly with residency. The tuition for this school might be higher than some, but lots included with that. You get a laptop with all the programs you need. Almost all your books are online, thus you have less cost for books than other schools. In addition to this, they are really with the times. They have all the high end technology with robotics (which they are currently expanding). The give you free access to up-to-date, awesome library resources, train you in electronic patient records, etc. They started a great new curriculum last year that has a lot of PBL learning mixed in. So they are really about integrating what you learn to everyday practice. If you have a wife and kids, this small town has a lot to offer. Also, there is lots of great rotation sites available in WV. They also have a community rotation program that allows you to see how a lot of the specialties are like in a community rural setting (if that is for you).

Cons: There are some, but it just depends on your perspective.

Sorry for the disorganization. Hope this helps. You can always check their website; very resourceful.

Hey thanks for the response and info. I do like the idea of family practice and rural, but don't want to necessarily lock myself into that before I get to clinicals when I may change my mind. I'll have to check out their website.

How long do you guys think the essay should be for the secondary application?

It is official, Class of 2017! The first deposit is $2000 OOS due Dec 15. I am so excited. This school rocks. BTW for those interviewing I stayed at Quality Inn. They give you a discount if you mention that you are there for your medical school interview.

Did anyone with an interview invite receive an email? I found out through my portal but am wondering if we have a time frame to complete the secondary.

Did anyone with an interview invite receive an email? I found out through my portal but am wondering if we have a time frame to complete the secondary.

Talked to Annette today, who btw is one of the sweetest individuals i have spoken to in a long time, and she said that they are going to be sending out emails starting tomorrow. They inputted the info into the computer systems first, and are now preparing emails.

Talked to Annette today, who btw is one of the sweetest individuals i have spoken to in a long time, and she said that they are going to be sending out emails starting tomorrow. They inputted the info into the computer systems first, and are now preparing emails.

Thanks for the info!

status changed to "decision deferred" without an email update

stats:

cGPA: 3.71
sGPA: 3.47
MCAT: 30M (10,10,10)

It is official, Class of 2017! The first deposit is $2000 OOS due Dec 15. I am so excited. This school rocks. BTW for those interviewing I stayed at Quality Inn. They give you a discount if you mention that you are there for your medical school interview.

Did you already interview? I'm confused, I thought that they hadn't even sent emails for interviews yet. Well, congrats either way.
Are you from west Virginia or are you OOS? What made you choose west Virginia? Any info you could give about this school would be most appreciated!

my AACOMAS application was verified in the beginning of July and I received the first status email from WVSOM exactly a month ago

Ok so my status has been decision deferred from the beginning. I just checked my status a bit ago and it is blank except for my name. Anyone else experiencing this. I was verified in the first part of july and have been decision deferred until today.

Jus so everyone knows, I called admissions today because last week I saw on the portal that I have an interview date but never got an email about it. They said they are in the process of switching to a new database so things are moving kind of slow. Emails should go out in a couple of days for invites and such.

Did you already interview? I'm confused, I thought that they hadn't even sent emails for interviews yet. Well, congrats either way.
Are you from west Virginia or are you OOS? What made you choose west Virginia? Any info you could give about this school would be most appreciated!
I interviewed last Feb. I was an alternate for class of 2016. They didn't have much movement this year from students dropping out after accepting. This school has a great program. I really like that it is all about the students. It is only a Medical School so you are not competing with dental, pharmacy or anyone else. The staffs main focus is the students. Some of the other schools it seemed like the staff was about the research and didn't care about the students. I wanted to go east coast being from the Rockies. So this school seemed like a perfect fit. My stats are above the school average. I also have 7 1/2 years' experience with patient care, 5 1/2yrs in a trauma center emergency room full time.

I interviewed last Feb. I was an alternate for class of 2016. They didn't have much movement this year from students dropping out after accepting. This school has a great program. I really like that it is all about the students. It is only a Medical School so you are not competing with dental, pharmacy or anyone else. The staffs main focus is the students. Some of the other schools it seemed like the staff was about the research and didn't care about the students. I wanted to go east coast being from the Rockies. So this school seemed like a perfect fit. My stats are above the school average. I also have 7 1/2 years’ experience with patient care, 5 1/2yrs in a trauma center emergency room full time.

Congrats!:thumbup: