West Virginia (WVSOM) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

Started by JamesLMT
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If it helps anyone, I was decision deferred a while back and received an interview invite. But unfortunately, I am going to have to withdraw my application. Hopefully that frees up a spot for someone here.

Ditto. Best of luck to y'all!


Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile app
 
That email...was VERY confusing. I understand we do NOT do a secondary unless invited but what about LORs? Do we send those in either way? I am sorry I am late in this process 🙁
 
Send those anyways. Also, I got a 20 on MCAT. It is my first and only score. I just cannot do well on it for some reason. I have a 3.5 GPA. I am scheduled to retake tomorrow. I don't want to risk the possibility of getting lower but there is always that chance that I might just get a way better score. My best friend got accepted last cycle with the exact same credentials. What should I do? take it and not score? Cancel it? or Just roll the dice and possibly get lower and have to come up with an unbelievable explaination? Need some advice ASAP.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Send those anyways. Also, I got a 20 on MCAT. It is my first and only score. I just cannot do well on it for some reason. I have a 3.5 GPA. I am scheduled to retake tomorrow. I don't want to risk the possibility of getting lower but there is always that chance that I might just get a way better score. My best friend got accepted last cycle with the exact same credentials. What should I do? take it and not score? Cancel it? or Just roll the dice and possibly get lower and have to come up with an unbelievable explaination? Need some advice ASAP.

If you've spent an adequate amount I time studying and are doing well on practice tests I'd definitely retake it. It will just make your life so much easier in the application cycle.
 
That email...was VERY confusing. I understand we do NOT do a secondary unless invited but what about LORs? Do we send those in either way? I am sorry I am late in this process 🙁

Go ahead and send your LORs. When you get an interview invite, complete the secondary. They'll give you more details then. And if you have questions, call Admissions. They're extremely helpful and very nice people.
 
Checked my portal and I got an interview invite for 9/12! Anyone know of any good places to stay for a small amount of money?

I was fortunate enough to make a day trip out of my interview. But I hear The General Lewis Inn is nice. I believe they may also give discounts for O School Applicants.
 
Oh, most definitely. What's said here poses little to no consequence. However, what is deemed appropriate in anonymity is a direct reflection of character. My point is, it's never too early to begin professional practices, in all aspects of one's life. With that said, I wish everyone here the best of luck. WVSOM is a wonderful school and a great environment for developing into the best physician you can be.

Who is to say that censorship justifies professionalism? It was a mere moment of catharsis. Frankly, id like to think even God himself would be mildly frazzled over the secondary process. So while I appreciate your um, intervention, there is no way is be cursing the deities in an interview or clinical setting. Chillax, brah.
 
If you've spent an adequate amount I time studying and are doing well on practice tests I'd definitely retake it. It will just make your life so much easier in the application cycle.

I agree. If you've prepared you'll do well. If not, well you can't cancel and get your money back so you might as well go sit and take it. At the end if you felt you did well, get it scored. If not, void it. Don't take it just to take it. Another low score will make it harder for you later, not impossible, just harder.
 
Hey,

So I'm trying to decide whether to fly in from Yeager or Roanoke. Is one drive easier or more scenic than the other? Thanks!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I too am interested, any intel as to how long the average DD sentancing is?

Thanks and best of luck to all you people
 
I just got the decision deferred email as well. Anyone get off of it recently? If so, how long were you on it?

Not sure what your timeline has been thus far, but keep in mind that pretty much everybody got the decision deferred status first after their app was received. Thats what my status was until they gave me an interview invite.
 
I was always decision pending. I don't think there's any set timeline here. People had both with no status change until the interview invite.
 
So my check list says Application status: In Process, Decision: Accept Applicant

And my application status area says Accept Applicant with info on the deposit.

Anyone know is this means what I think it means?

I interviewed last Wednesday and they said the admissions committee meets on Tuesdays. I haven't gotten an email or a call yet, though. Any in sight would be great. Thanks!!
 
They were saying results would come in a few weeks but they came out today..I got the same message, means you got in congrats!
 
So my check list says Application status: In Process, Decision: Accept Applicant

And my application status area says Accept Applicant with info on the deposit.

Anyone know is this means what I think it means?

I interviewed last Wednesday and they said the admissions committee meets on Tuesdays. I haven't gotten an email or a call yet, though. Any in sight would be great. Thanks!!

it means your accepted! Congrats ! They meet Tuesday am and decisions are on the portal right away! I hope I get similar news my interview is 10/22.

Can you give me insight on the interview ?
 
They were saying results would come in a few weeks but they came out today..I got the same message, means you got in congrats!
Thanks!! Congrats to you too! When did you interview?

it means your accepted! Congrats ! They meet Tuesday am and decisions are on the portal right away! I hope I get similar news my interview is 10/22.

Can you give me insight on the interview ?
Thanks!!

The interview day was great! I hope you get Angie to show you around, she is such a sweetheart and really helped the group bond, which made everyone feel at ease. I was the first interviewer of the day at 8:30AM :scared: the interview was pretty relaxed though. It lasted about 30 minutes and had 3 panelists. They asked a lot of basic questions like why DO, how I saw DO principals when shadowing a DO, why West Virginia/rural, would I stay in WV, etc. And some that were specific to my application about ECs and such. No ethics or healthcare questions, thankfully! They were all really nice and it felt pretty relaxed and went by really fast. I never really felt stumped, which was good.

I loved being in the morning group so I could relax and enjoy the tour (which was great--this school is beautiful!) and not worry about getting our spaghetti lunch on my suit!

Good luck!!
 
it means your accepted! Congrats ! They meet Tuesday am and decisions are on the portal right away! I hope I get similar news my interview is 10/22.

Can you give me insight on the interview ?

I filled out one of those survey things on sdn, that has more detail...but the interview was extremely laid back though...everyone is just very nice and you'll meet some cool people who are also interviewing. If they are interviewing you they like you. They just want to make sure the personality matches up to what they liked on paper..so just be nice and you'll be good to go
 
I tried to be as specific as possible with the survey but if anyone has any specific questions feel free to ask here or pm me
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My first secondary email (well not exactly because they don't accept secondaries until interview invites)! My status says "In process-decision pending" I'm guessing that's the norm?
 
My first secondary email (well not exactly because they don't accept secondaries until interview invites)! My status says "In process-decision pending" I'm guessing that's the norm?

That and placing people on "decision deferred" status for no real reason. Lol


"Do not fear an army of lions led by a sheep, instead fear an army of sheep led by a lion."

😀 😎 c/o 2017 😎 😀
 
hello, new at SDN, I am applying late in the game and was advised to ask on here if anyone would be willing to share what questions and or essays were required to fill out the secondary so I can go ahead and start filling them out. If anyone would be willing to share this information, I would be overly thankful. Please PM me the details if at all possible or just reply on here 🙂 :xf:
 
hello, new at SDN, I am applying late in the game and was advised to ask on here if anyone would be willing to share what questions and or essays were required to fill out the secondary so I can go ahead and start filling them out. If anyone would be willing to share this information, I would be overly thankful. Please PM me the details if at all possible or just reply on here 🙂 :xf:

The secondary from this school is not as important to pre-write as the secondary's from other schools are because this school only sends you a secondary if you get an interview invite. So worry about all your others first.


"Do not fear an army of lions led by a sheep, instead fear an army of sheep led by a lion."

😀 😎 c/o 2017 😎 😀
 
hello, new at SDN, I am applying late in the game and was advised to ask on here if anyone would be willing to share what questions and or essays were required to fill out the secondary so I can go ahead and start filling them out. If anyone would be willing to share this information, I would be overly thankful. Please PM me the details if at all possible or just reply on here 🙂 :xf:

I'd listen to CDTcorp, but if you really want them:

Why do you want to be a osteopathic physician?
What advantage do you see in attending WVSOM over other medical schools?
Describe an ethically challenging situation you've been in and how did you respond?
What do you feel it will take for you to succeed in medical school?
Describe a situation in which you worked well with others.
What experiences have you had in rural areas?
Optional brief comments on your volunteer experiences.
 
Based on what I've read here, it looks like there's typically about 2-4 weeks between getting the login email and receiving some kind of decision - is that right? Has anyone here not gotten an II? I don't think I've seen any posts about rejections...

I got my login on Sept 14th and my status is still In Process - Decision Pending. Hopefully the pending will be done soon :scared:
 
I got this about 2 weeks ago:

Your application was placed on hold (="decision deferred") after an initial review. Please note that your file will be reviewed again at a later date. This is an ongoing process and it is undetermined when a revised decision will be made. Any future status updates will be communicated to you via e-mail.

MCAT: 30
sGPA: 3.80
cGPA: 3.82

And when I log into the checklist, it has a section called "APPLICATION PREFERENCE" with a number next to it. Does anyone know what this means?
 
My application status says, "In Process - Decision Pending". I have not received a secondary/interview email yet. Is the decision pending regarding the interview? Thanks!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My status no longer says "In process" just "decision pending."

Hey guys, so I am curious my 'secondary acknowledgement' e-mail was sent 6 September and my app still states ''In Process - Decision Pending''.

Whats the deal? It also have a Application Preference with a 1 next to it. Not sure what that means. Have I already been bolo'ed? I received an interview from all other schools....

🙁