Western U - Lebanon (COMP) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
accepted! now I have to decide between nova and here. anyone else in the same boat?

yes.

Members don't see this ad.

Accepted! I never thought I'd actually have options to choose from, but it seems like I'll have to make a tough decision in the near future.

Interviewing 1/19! possibly 12/8 if some folks cancel. This is my first interview invite, so I'm stoked :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got the email that my application is now with the committee for interview consideration. How long it it take for guys to hear something after that?

Do they usually take more than one day to do calls? Or do you think they are done with 11/10 interview calls?

Got called around 9:30 this morning and I'm absolutely accepting. Congrats to us! Last name starts with S - don't think they're calling alphabetically.

Just got the email that my application is now with the committee for interview consideration. How long it it take for guys to hear something after that?

They called me 2 hours before I got that email. I had an interview scheduled and confirmed over email before the "WesternU - Application Ready for Review" message.

I interviewed 11/10 and hadn't received a call yet so I went ahead and called Jeannie to check on my status and turns out I'm waitlisted :( Super bummer because I really had my sights set on this school, also makes me wonder what I did during my interview to turn them off to me (I left thinking it went pretty smoothly). Oh well, trying to regroup and pouring my energy into my 4 remaining interviews. Western is a wonderful school with a great family feeling and lots to offer its students. Best of luck to future interviewees and to those already accepted!

For those of you that are accepted does your banweb status say "accepted"?

For those of you that are accepted does your banweb status say "accepted"?
If you're talking about where we can see the Application Summary...then no. It doesn't say anything about an interview or or acceptance. If I'm not in the right place, then post the link and I'll log in and check.

Members don't see this ad :)
Have any of you interviewed or will be interviewing at DMU? What are your impressions comparative to Western U Lebanon? I loved my interview here at Lebanon and am really excited, but I have an interview at DMU that I have high expectations for. Likewise, but to a lesser degree, PNWU? Any comments on how these programs compare to Lebanon?

have any of you interviewed or will be interviewing at dmu? What are your impressions comparative to western u lebanon? I loved my interview here at lebanon and am really excited, but i have an interview at dmu that i have high expectations for. Likewise, but to a lesser degree, pnwu? Any comments on how these programs compare to lebanon?

dmu>comp-nw>pnwu

Have any of you interviewed or will be interviewing at DMU? What are your impressions comparative to Western U Lebanon? I loved my interview here at Lebanon and am really excited, but I have an interview at DMU that I have high expectations for. Likewise, but to a lesser degree, PNWU? Any comments on how these programs compare to Lebanon?
Great question! Just cancelled my PNWU interview after getting accepted to Western. I have a DMU interview in December...I'm curious too as to how they will compare. When is your DMU interview?

Great question! Just cancelled my PNWU interview after getting accepted to Western. I have a DMU interview in December...I'm curious too as to how they will compare. When is your DMU interview?

Well I was hoping to schedule it on December 14th, but had to move an appointment around and by the time I came back it was filled. Dumb move on my part waiting to schedule. So now it is Jan 18. I am thinking of canceling my PNWU as well.

I agree. You just can't beat out DMU's history and strength of program. Just gotta make peace with the location.

That is exactly my thinking as well. I think I can live with Iowa....maybe? haha Being that the program has been established since 1898 and it has all sorts of simulation labs and a surgical skills lab I am very excited to have an interview there! Thanks for all of your opinions!

how did you decide to rank pnwu less than comp-nw?

PNWU these things against them:

1. New program-I know that COMP-NW is also a new campus, but our curriculum and (most) faculty aren't. I will be the first to admit that our curriculum and faculty aren't perfect, but at least they have a good sized head start.

2. Quality of 3rd/4th year rotations; associated residencies-Western/COMP established their Northwest Track in the early 2000s (I think; some correct me if I'm wrong) which placed ~35 3rd and 4th year students into rotation sites throughout the northwest. This helped create the core sites that we have and it makes the relationship with the clinical sites and preceptors stable and much more established than PNWU. The relationships have grown to the point where our campus is actually owned by Samaritan Health System.

3. Residencies-Western has six (well, 5 and a half - one is a traditional intern year) residencies and one fellowship with Samaritan now. PNWU was just approved for IM and FM programs this year. The Lebanon campus is the site of a lot of planned growth and development by Samaritan Health and that will only improve the quality of education for COMP-NW students. I'm hopeful that more residencies will be established in the future.

3. Less organization second year-This might not be important to you but PNWU (when I interviewed there) basically had you independent study the second year. Medical school is definitely very much self-taught but I thought that was a little too hands off. I mean, if I could teach myself, what am I paying them for?

4. Intangible grumblings from others-This is purely anecdotal, but I've heard independent reports of PNWU students not being that impressive on rotations. Whether it was an issue with individual students or a result of inadequate preparation by the program, I don't know. Still, all the students that follow after have that hurdle to jump. Again, this is also an issue for COMP students in CA but I've gotten the impression that the Northwest Track students have done a pretty good job not making us look nuts.

IMHO, PNWU's biggest con is that they're new. I liked my interview day there and I don't think that I'd be worse off if I had gone there. I like the sunshine and mexican food in Yakima. But, all things being equal, COMP-NW > PNWU.

I interviewed 11/10 and hadn't received a call yet so I went ahead and called Jeannie to check on my status and turns out I'm waitlisted :( Super bummer because I really had my sights set on this school, also makes me wonder what I did during my interview to turn them off to me (I left thinking it went pretty smoothly). Oh well, trying to regroup and pouring my energy into my 4 remaining interviews. Western is a wonderful school with a great family feeling and lots to offer its students. Best of luck to future interviewees and to those already accepted!

Sorry to hear about that.:( what are your stats, did you ask them for a reason why you were wait listed?

Sorry to hear about that.:( what are your stats, did you ask them for a reason why you were wait listed?

I did ask and Jeannie wasn't super specific, just said that that the 11/10 interview group was an exceptional one and that the decision didn't come easy (not sure if that's a a standard answer given to all waitlisted/rejected applicants or not). I emailed her and asked her if she could give me a more detailed reason as to the decision and am still waiting to hear back. 31, 3.35 cumulative, 3.4 science. My secondary was recieved 9/28, ready for review on 10/9 and ii on 11/5 (I live in the area so they called me up when they had a cancellation for the 11/10 interview). I went to all of the OPSO events and was involved in volunteering at the school so I was obviously very interested in attending. Anywho, what's meant to be will be and I'm excited about some other schools too. Congrats to all those accepted and good luck to those interviewing/applying. Again, COMP NW is an absolutely wonderful environment and I really don't have enough good things to say about it. I'm confident that those matriculating will be happy/successful there :)

I did ask and Jeannie wasn't super specific, just said that that the 11/10 interview group was an exceptional one and that the decision didn't come easy (not sure if that's a a standard answer given to all waitlisted/rejected applicants or not). I emailed her and asked her if she could give me a more detailed reason as to the decision and am still waiting to hear back. 31, 3.35 cumulative, 3.4 science. My secondary was recieved 9/28, ready for review on 10/9 and ii on 11/5 (I live in the area so they called me up when they had a cancellation for the 11/10 interview). I went to all of the OPSO events and was involved in volunteering at the school so I was obviously very interested in attending. Anywho, what's meant to be will be and I'm excited about some other schools too. Congrats to all those accepted and good luck to those interviewing/applying. Again, COMP NW is an absolutely wonderful environment and I really don't have enough good things to say about it. I'm confident that those matriculating will be happy/successful there :)

Wow, I'm shocked you didn't get in with a 31 and are from the area. I would have thought for sure you should have gotten in. I had a much lower mcat but higher gpa and I got in. I think one thing that seemed to really have helped me is that I had two DOs who I shadowed write me letters. One I met at an OPSO event, and another who as a WesternU alumna. Hope that helps in case you reapply. Maybe you'll get in off the wait list :)

Wow, I'm shocked you didn't get in with a 31 and are from the area. I would have thought for sure you should have gotten in. I had a much lower mcat but higher gpa and I got in. I think one thing that seemed to really have helped me is that I had two DOs who I shadowed write me letters. One I met at an OPSO event, and another who as a WesternU alumna. Hope that helps in case you reapply. Maybe you'll get in off the wait list :)

It really makes me wonder what I said in the interview that turned them off to me because that's the only thing I can think of that would have ruined my chances. I shadowed a family practice DO for a year and he wrote me an awesome letter (as well as some other pretty solid LOR's), pretty great EC's, low-income medical volunteering, etc. I definitely didn't go into the interview cocky (I was actually fairly nervous) but still left feeling like I let my sincerity about osteopathic medicine/COMP NW shine through. I'm not holding out for the waitlist at this point based on last years (somewhat dismal) stats. If I get an acceptance at one of my other top choices I'm just going to take it and thank my lucky stars that I'm done with the app cycle.
If I get a reply from Jeannie I'll let you guys know, I'm pretty curious at this point too!

Withdrew acceptance today.

I wish you all luck and success in your journey to becoming a physician.

dsoz

dsoz
Congrats on the decision, I know you did some hand wringing for a while. Best of luck

Hey ladies that have already interviewed, what did you wear to the pizza social?

The pizza social is SUPER casual! You'd be fine in jeans and a sweater...or something along those lines.

Hey ladies that have already interviewed, what did you wear to the pizza social?

Wondering the same thing..I was going to wear grey slacks and a nice shirt. Better to be over dressed than under dressed.

Pizza social... casual, students show up in sweat pants so you get the idea.

dsoz

are you giving up WesternU because you are going to OHSU?
just curious. i don't blame you if that's the case, i would do the same if i could.

I wore a flannel and trucker hat to the pizza social. so yeah you can dress casually.

I wore a flannel and trucker hat to the pizza social. so yeah you can dress casually.

Hey, you have a banjo for your avatar. Makes me wonder if you play? If so, I'm super jealous.

Good to know. I have been wondering how to interpret this "casual" dinner. It is still for a med. school interview after all.

racerwad: Just wondering what your opinion is regarding DMU's superiority to COMP-NW (other than substantially cheaper tuition). I'm looking to make an informed decision between the two.

Last edited:
Interviewing here tomorrow! Really hoping to get sold on this school (and then of course accepted). I would love to stay in the Northwest, but almost 10K more a year than DMU! Ouch!

Different fit for different people. A person could be very happy at COMP-NW and miserable at DMU and vice versa. Soak in everything you see. Note what sort of environment each school encompasses. See if you like the staff, or the town. Then make an informed decision. Both schools can give a good education.

Interviewing here tomorrow! Really hoping to get sold on this school (and then of course accepted). I would love to stay in the Northwest, but almost 10K more a year than DMU! Ouch!

Honestly, regardless of what you specialize in, a $10k per year difference shouldn't be the deal breaker for any school you really like. You'll pay it off just fine.
Just my $0.02

Good luck on the interview!

Well here's to hoping we become classmates eventually.

I play the harmonica, so the obvious next step would be...the banjo. Amirite? Lol

Indeed it is! If I go to Western we'll have to jam!:thumbup:

On the shuttle headed over here and just realized I forgot my raincoat. D'oh!!

Interview tomorrow...first interview...super nervous and excited!!!!!

Honestly, regardless of what you specialize in, a $10k per year difference shouldn't be the deal breaker for any school you really like. You'll pay it off just fine.
Just my $0.02

Good luck on the interview!

You are 100% correct. Thanks! They definitely make you realize that while you are there as well. As one of my great interviewers said, you're making an investment in yourself. What could be worth more?

accepted! now I have to decide between nova and here. anyone else in the same boat?
Hi BioMed,

I know you didn't necessarily ask for my input, but I feel obligated to offer:

My closest friend is a student an OMSI at NOVA and I am OMSI at COMP-NW. She is incredibly smart/talented and likeable but is nonetheless running into the following issues:

At NOVA they take multiple core sciences at a time and just move slowly through each, so the students' focus is split among the courses and they are constantly have intense exams, sometimes a few a week. At COMP-NW we take one core sci class at a time, and while we move very quickly through each, it is easier to focus and the very difficult exams are spread out. I MUCH prefer this approach.

Also, it is a large school and despite being outgoing and kind my friend has struggled to find her niche. It seems the cliques of people that form are not very inclusive or open to new people. In contrast, I am rather introverted and yet always feel welcome among all my peers here at COMP-NW. The warm, supportive environment here is exactly what I need to handle the pressures of med school. It is truly a family feel here.

Please ask around since this is based on only my opinion and one student at NOVA's.
Best of luck!

You are 100% correct. Thanks! They definitely make you realize that while you are there as well. As one of my great interviewers said, you're making an investment in yourself. What could be worth more?

Don't forget that they are selling a product.

While I'd agree that an investment in your future is worthwhile, your future self (who is paying the bills) might have wanted you to consider all of the intangibles and to remember that $10k today isn't $10k 7 years from now (assuming you do the shortest residency possible, don't take an extra year in med school, and have no loans from your previous academic endeavors).

FWIW, I do like it here and I'd encourage everyone to put it on their short list to consider. But compared to DMU, it's a no brainer: today-DMU > COMP-NW, in the future, who knows? Iowa won't get any better but we will.