Western U - Lebanon (COMP) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Edited

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
hey is there a dress code on campus?

I believe the that the student handbook does have some minor specifics on "dress code." But for the most part you can wear just about whatever you want. You don't have to be in business attire 24/7 like other schools. You do have to be in OMM attire during your OMM classes and business/white coat attire when you are in class for ECM (Essentials to Clinical Medicine). Other than that you're free to wear what you want. Hope that helps!

Members don't see this ad :)
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...8943032.-2207520000.1365295148&type=3&theater

So, COMP-NW is assigned the same burgundy scrubs that generally WesternU assigns to their nursing students at the parent campus in Pomona. I think this is pretty unusual, since the iconic doctor scrubs are the light blue (I've never seen doctors wear colorful scrubs which nurses wear just as nurses don't wear white coats) and in fact med students at Pomona do wear the light blue scrubs, and like I said, nursing students get the burgundy ones at the main campus.

Obviously, I just don't like the burgundy. But, either way, what is up with it?
Don't worry, you will soon have much greater things to worry about than whether or not you like the color of the clothes (you will be living in) and how they might resemble other members of the healthcare team that will save your ass more than once.

Plus a color that's forgiving if you decide to partake in a glass of wine..or three...once med school hits you isn't all that bad ;)

I received a call from Jeannie this afternoon and have been offered a spot in the class from the wait list and will definitely be accepting!!!! I could not be happier as Western has been my top choice from day one and am looking forward to spend the next four years with you guys!!!:soexcited:

I received a call from Jeannie this afternoon and have been offered a spot in the class from the wait list and will definitely be accepting!!!! I could not be happier as Western has been my top choice from day one and am looking forward to spend the next four years with you guys!!!:soexcited:

Congratulations!!

Hi All,

My husband and I may move up this year, and we are pregnant. We are both working right now, and have great insurance. I'm not quite sure how the insurance situation works up there, but I am pretty sure that we won't qualify for government aid due to our dual salaries.

Do any of you with kids have any advice on where to pick up insurance on a med-student's budget?

Thanks!

Hi All,

My husband and I may move up this year, and we are pregnant. We are both working right now, and have great insurance. I'm not quite sure how the insurance situation works up there, but I am pretty sure that we won't qualify for government aid due to our dual salaries.

Do any of you with kids have any advice on where to pick up insurance on a med-student's budget?

Thanks!

I too would like to know this. What insurance does the school work with for students? I know we can set up our own insurance with whatever company, but who is the default the school has set up?

I too would like to know this. What insurance does the school work with for students? I know we can set up our own insurance with whatever company, but who is the default the school has set up?

Here is the link to health insurance summary: http://www.westernu.edu/bin/students/health-ins-summary.pdf

The base school insurance is pretty mediocre. Its seen as more of a safety net in case you get extremely sick or have some sort of horrific accident. If you're looking for a plan where you can get regular check ups and not have to pay ridiculous amounts for minor labs and what not I would spend a little more and find a different insurance plan (especially if youre pregant). Thats just my two cents...

Here is the link to health insurance summary: http://www.westernu.edu/bin/students/health-ins-summary.pdf

The base school insurance is pretty mediocre. Its seen as more of a safety net in case you get extremely sick or have some sort of horrific accident. If you're looking for a plan where you can get regular check ups and not have to pay ridiculous amounts for minor labs and what not I would spend a little more and find a different insurance plan (especially if youre pregant). Thats just my two cents...

Awesome, thanks for the link. Doesn't look too bad really.

Is there more to joining the FB group then just sending a request? I requested to join last week, but still not part of it and I was hoping to see what people are saying about housing.

Is there more to joining the FB group then just sending a request? I requested to join last week, but still not part of it and I was hoping to see what people are saying about housing.

Hey you should be added now. I'm the admin and apparently was somehow unaware that there were requests pending. Sorry!

Members don't see this ad :)
Holy crap. Just got the call. I never thought I'd get an offer. I'm a little speechless right now.

Yeah! Congrats! You were on the waitlist, right?
Come join the Facebook group!
I was waitlisted - I really thought there was no chance of getting in - I was already all set to go to a different school. I put in my request to join the Facebook group - I have so many questions!!!!

After a long hard debate, I decided to withdraw from here.

Hope someone on the waitlist gets the spot!

I got accepted off the waitlist today, but I declined it. Sorry Western, the food in New Orleans is just too good to pass up. I hope one of you gets my acceptance here.

dang. I really want one of your guys' spots! lol

2 days after my interview I drafted an email to withdraw my application from CompNW because I thought I blew my interview and I was soo pissed at the OMS2 interviewer that I didn't even want to see Lebanon, OR again.

Other than that, I was sold on the school and gave myself some time to cool off and not send the email. Jeannie called me yesterday, accepted 2017! Can't wait to go back now!

2 days after my interview I drafted an email to withdraw my application from CompNW because I thought I blew my interview and I was soo pissed at the OMS2 interviewer that I didn't even want to see Lebanon, OR again.

Other than that, I was sold on the school and gave myself some time to cool off and not send the email. Jeannie called me yesterday, accepted 2017! Can't wait to go back now!

Dodged a bullet. Lol

I don't know, if s/he didn't like their experience so much that they were going to draft a strongly worded email, being accepted may not be the best thing. It doesn't sound like the best fit.

I don't know, if s/he didn't like their experience so much that they were going to draft a strongly worded email, being accepted may not be the best thing. It doesn't sound like the best fit.

Could be right...
Guess we'll see. ;)

Not exactly but thank you for your concern (I'm a he BTW). My toned-down email that was actually sent was about my issue with the way a few questions were worded by the current student interviewer and how they misinterpreted what I said and rephrased it to make me sound like an idiot/ass.

Like I said, I was 100% down with the school until I had a ****ty interview . So when I got home I considered withdrawing my application simply because I thought my interview was so terrible I didn't have a chance anyway.

But, I liked everything about the school, minus the price tag and recent tuition increase, and I couldn't be any happier getting to stay in the NW. I would say overall I like location and rotation options the best. It seems like their rotation sites really want to help the school and its students succeed.

Not exactly but thank you for your concern (I'm a he BTW). My toned-down email that was actually sent was about my issue with the way a few questions were worded by the current student interviewer and how they misinterpreted what I said and rephrased it to make me sound like an idiot/ass.

Like I said, I was 100% down with the school until I had a ****ty interview . So when I got home I considered withdrawing my application simply because I thought my interview was so terrible I didn't have a chance anyway.

But, I liked everything about the school, minus the price tag and recent tuition increase, and I couldn't be any happier getting to stay in the NW. I would say overall I like location and rotation options the best. It seems like their rotation sites really want to help the school and its students succeed.

What month did you interview and do you remember the OMSII's name?

Last edited:
/ end rant. haha

No idea on the name. It was March. It doesn't really matter. I don't really hold a grudge. She was just badgering me on academic rigor and then put me on the spot about the A.T. Still biography I mentioned reading. She asked me if I could name the "Tenants" (that's what it sounded like she said) of osteopathic medicine and when I started rambling about the "The 4 tenets of osteopathic medicine," she told me that was incorrect and she named 5 things like "biosocial" or something...

I understand there is something along those lines of "5 foundations of osteopathic treatment" that is something I'll actually learn about in OP&P. But, she was trying to make it sound like I was lying about reading the biography. The AOA recognizes "4 Tenets of Osteopathic Medicine" and she told me those are the principles of osteopathic medicine, not the tenets, and she's surprised I wouldn't know more about osteopathic philosophy from reading the book. She doesn't know that the book is a little more about Still's life and his path of discovering his school of thought, not about the refined principles that we know today that were mostly developed from his school. She blew me off when I tried to explain this. Meh, I got accepted despite her best efforts!

Well, if it makes you feel any better, you were right and she was wrong. There are 4 (Holy) Tenets and 5 models of (Transcendent) Osteopathic care.

Either way, you need to relax. The interviewers may have had prearranged roles for everyone to play and hers may have been to rattle your cage. You should've been aware that could happen and been prepared. Apparently, you did hold enough of a grudge to consider withdrawing your application.

Medical school is unpleasant even if you want this more than anything; that's why I mentioned that being a good fit being so important. And I don't mean just that you are a good fit for the school, but that the school is a good fit for you.

Last edited:
With much respect to the current students like yourself:

If it was all part of a good cop/bad cop role, do you think I would have still been granted acceptance after I emailed a letter to the AdCom about the unprofessional tone and attitude of the student-interviewer?

Plus, I'm not going to let one person and 15 minutes of my interview paint my picture of my entire evaluation of the school. I'm sure nothing can prepare me for the unpleasant nature of it, but I can't imagine some uppity student is a good representation of the unpleasantness of it all. I don't feel like this argument is going anywhere. You think I should drop if I felt that strongly about it. I'm saying one, single student (probably 10 years younger than me) was being a condescending interviewer and that's not going to affect my decision.

Rant Over.

My point isn't how the school feels about you; obviously they felt satisfied enough to offer you an acceptance. My point is how you feel about the school. You were upset enough to consider writing an email and coming to SDN to talk about it instead of recognizing it for what it was: either a setup, someone else's issue, or proof that COMP-NW isn't for you.

What I'm saying that is that you need to chill. Everyday is going to be a test of your patience. I wish it wasn't the case.

Last edited:
I brought it up on SDN because I thought it was funny how things work out, and how my patience paid off.

I work at a nursing home where 90 year old, demented women slap me with the hands they just stuck in their soiled attends. I have more patience than you can imagine when it's warranted. I have zero tolerances for dumb biatches like the interviewer.

Like I said before, I was going to withdraw my app because I thought I sunk myself in the interview and I needed a way to tell the AdCom about my interview, not because I didn't like the school. So, yes the school's a good fit for me and I believe I said "I couldn't be any happier" in an earlier post.

Not sure why you're so hellbent on convincing me WesternU isn't the school for me.

Seriously this time, rant over.

First, it was because I wanted you to have the most positive medical school experience possible. Second, you weird; as a current COMP-NW student, I want to help make sure the classes that follow are filled with the types of people I'd want to be around instead of people who think that their classmates are
dumb biatches like the interviewer.

For someone so patience you sure have a short fuse. :laugh: I'm glad you like the school and are excited to be here.

After a lot of hard decision making, I'll be giving up my seat here tomorrow. Hopefully someone will get a phone call soon as a result!

After a lot of hard decision making, I'll be giving up my seat here tomorrow. Hopefully someone will get a phone call soon as a result!

Maybe it will be me. I like getting phone calls, and I love lebanon.

. :laugh: I'm glad you like the school and are excited to be here.

Thank you. I'm happy to be here. (Well, not yet, but in 2 months.)

Just got the call from Jeannie, accepted off the alternate list! See those of you attending here in about a month and a half! :D

Just got the call from Jeannie, accepted off the alternate list! See those of you attending here in about a month and a half! :D

Do you know about how many of your classmates were alternates that got calls for admission? I ask because I am an alternate for the 2013-2014 cycle and am wanting to get a ball park idea.