Western U - Lebanon (COMP) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Interviewed here last year, but decided to withdraw after the interview so I could try again with OHSU. Incredible interview process though, I felt comfortable the whole time. Relax and be genuine at the interview and you'll be rewarded by an equally jovial interviewer(s) :D Though this school is in rural Oregon, is expensive, and a good portion of the classes are done through web-conference. Otherwise, a great place to learn if you want to stay in Oregon but can't make the ridiculously competitive seats at OHSU

Members don't see this ad.

Interviewed here last year, but decided to withdraw after the interview so I could try again with OHSU. Incredible interview process though, I felt comfortable the whole time. Relax and be genuine at the interview and you'll be rewarded by an equally jovial interviewer(s) :D Though this school is in rural Oregon, is expensive, and a good portion of the classes are done through web-conference. Otherwise, a great place to learn if you want to stay in Oregon but can't make the ridiculously competitive seats at OHSU

What was the interview process like?

Ugh, I just got an invite to interview here, but I'm not sure I want to after I took a tour of the school earlier this year. Great school reputation, but the expense and the isolation of Lebanon is going to suck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes! Interview invite via telephone, given 2 dates, I chose the first available sept 29th. On a Saturday! Love the NW

What was the interview process like?

I have heard that it is a panel interview (2-3 interviewers), observe a class, and 2 or 3 stations of MMI.

Be sure to attend the pizza dinner the night before to informally talk with the current students and staff.

dsoz

I have heard that it is a panel interview (2-3 interviewers), observe a class, and 2 or 3 stations of MMI.

Be sure to attend the pizza dinner the night before to informally talk with the current students and staff.

dsoz

Thanks! got my invitation today via phone call.

...Great school reputation, but the expense and the isolation of Lebanon is going to suck.

If this is your sentiment now, it will only get worse once you're actually here. Lebs is isolated; not like Antarctica isolated, but everything is at least 30 minutes away. This means in the limited free time you have, you're going to have to include drive time in your "how will this impact my study schedule" calculations. For some people it's no big deal and for others it will just make medical school even harder. I think how you feel about where a school is should weigh heavily into your decision making process. For example, if you went to medical school in Manhattan, you might not have a lot of time to enjoy everything the city has to offer, but at least you don't have to waste a lot of time getting there when you are free. Lebanon is the opposite problem-no distractions, but no attractions, either. Congrats to everyone who has gotten interviews thus far!

If this is your sentiment now, it will only get worse once you're actually here. Lebs is isolated; not like Antarctica isolated, but everything is at least 30 minutes away. This means in the limited free time you have, you're going to have to include drive time in your "how will this impact my study schedule" calculations. For some people it's no big deal and for others it will just make medical school even harder. I think how you feel about where a school is should weigh heavily into your decision making process. For example, if you went to medical school in Manhattan, you might not have a lot of time to enjoy everything the city has to offer, but at least you don't have to waste a lot of time getting there when you are free. Lebanon is the opposite problem-no distractions, but no attractions, either. Congrats to everyone who has gotten interviews thus far!

Very true. Being 30 mins away from everything might not be bad anyway since it may prove to help me focus on my studies more. I originally wanted to come here because then my wife's family would only be 2.5 hrs away which would be great for her and them. Maybe that still is a strong enough pull to make this choice #1. Well, that and the fact that it's a pretty good school!

This has got to be the longest interview of any school! I just got the itinerary email and they want me there from about 8-4! There's just one building, so that must mean I'll be experiencing a day in the life of a northwest comp student!

Woo Hoo, just invited for interview here. The morning of September 29th.

If anyone wants more info about the interview process check out THIS page:

Interview invite yesterday, scheduled for September 29th. Now I get to choose between a medical school named after an oil-drinking Chevy (Nova) or a medical school that sounds like a Middle Eastern war zone (Western Lebanon). Tough decision!

Members don't see this ad :)
do i need to send in another set of my letters of recommendation to lebanon if i applied to the pomona campus?

Interview invite yesterday, scheduled for September 29th. Now I get to choose between a medical school named after an oil-drinking Chevy (Nova) or a medical school that sounds like a Middle Eastern war zone (Western Lebanon). Tough decision!

Well, I don't think we're quite at the choosing point just yet there pal! As we all know, an interview invite =\= an acceptance!

do i need to send in another set of my letters of recommendation to lebanon if i applied to the pomona campus?

no.

But you can only apply to one of the campuses at a time. If you want Pomona, then pick Pomona. If you want Lebanon, then pick it. They are non-competing campuses and will not consider your application if the other school is looking at it. If one school rejects you, then the other school MIGHT give you a chance, but there is no evidence that shows that they will.

If you want Lebanon, but chose Pomona first, you need to call the admissions people at either campus and ask them to move your application to the correct campus. They will gladly do it for you. They are really nice at both locations.

dsoz

thats strange.

so i cant send secondaries to both? pomona would be my first choice

thats strange.

so i cant send secondaries to both? pomona would be my first choice

Correct, only one secondary allowed for this school. Only Pomona will look at your application for now.

It is because for accreditation reasons the two campuses are considered one school. The people at both campuses are one class, not two.

Lectures are viewed by both schools at the same time. The goal is 50% of lectures to originate in Pomona and streamed for viewing in Lebanon, and vice versa. There are local professors in each room that can help clarify questions, and the students in the video lecture hall can speak into a microphone to ask the lecturer a question. They also have it set up to have a camera that is pointed at each lecture hall to show the students in the other class. You are on TV the entire time.

Classes like OMM and principles of medicine are all taught locally by the home professors.

Sometimes professors fly from one campus to another to be a "guest lecturer" at the other school.

This year they even flew some students from one school to the other to help the classes mingle a little bit. Students hosted their classmates from the other campus and showed them the local wild-life. In Oregon it means real animals! I don't know what it means for California.

dsoz

so i basically wasted $35 by sending primary apps to both campuses?

Yup, join the club. Unless, that is, you weren't sure at the time of submitting the primary which school would be your top choice. In that case it wouldn't hurt to apply to both just to keep your options open.

yea true. no guarantee youd get a secondary invite from one. but im glad i got more info cuz i was gonna send in secondaries to both

Sorry, but yes.

The only way that you could have known before you applied is to have read the threads from last year.

When I knew that I was going to apply this year, I subscribed to the threads from last year for all the schools that I thought that I would apply to. Then I spent a couple of hours each weekend reading up on each school that I wanted to apply to. If something made me concerned about the school I would cross it off my list and write the reason why.

I then weighed each school's pro/con before submitting my AMCAS and AACOMAS applications. This is how I learned so much about how Western operates. Also, I toured each of the different campuses. Pomona at spring break and Lebanon last October, and again earlier this month.

Good luck to you.

dsoz

Sorry, but yes.

The only way that you could have known before you applied is to have read the threads from last year.

When I knew that I was going to apply this year, I subscribed to the threads from last year for all the schools that I thought that I would apply to. Then I spent a couple of hours each weekend reading up on each school that I wanted to apply to. If something made me concerned about the school I would cross it off my list and write the reason why.

I then weighed each school's pro/con before submitting my AMCAS and AACOMAS applications. This is how I learned so much about how Western operates. Also, I toured each of the different campuses. Pomona at spring break and Lebanon last October, and again earlier this month.

Good luck to you.

dsoz

Great idea to troll the threads the cycle before applying. I'm getting a bunch of II's now but am woefully lacking on info about each school.
I toured Lebanon back in may or June. I'd be very interested to hear your take on both campuses, your own personal pros and cons. Feel free to post here or just PM me.

Great idea to troll the threads the cycle before applying. I'm getting a bunch of II's now but am woefully lacking on info about each school.
I toured Lebanon back in may or June. I'd be very interested to hear your take on both campuses, your own personal pros and cons. Feel free to post here or just PM me.

DISCLAIMER- I am from Oregon. Some say it is a backwards state. Ha ha. I grew up in a suburb of Portland, and live in Oregon City now. The only time I did not live in the Portland area was in college when I went to Southern Oregon in Ashland (the last city in Oregon before crossing into California on Interstate-5)

A lot of people come and don't realize that the pace here is SLOWER than other places. (on average) People don't drive as fast, they don't work as fast, and they don't die as fast. Even the person that gave the tour in Lebanon stated that the Pomona people don't understand how we can be so relaxed all the time. Portland has been named the #1 most friendly large city to drive in a few years in a row. Not at all like LA or even Seattle.

Pomona- nice weather. That is about the only plus in my book. I hate the city sprawl that is the LA inland empire. The freeways just about gave me a heart-attack. The campus was a converted strip-mall in the beginning, it still looks like one. The new buildings are nice. There is cool artwork all over (a statue artist did a show there and just left the pieces). I have heard that Pomona is not a good place to live and that to get good housing it is a 20 minute drive (on the freeway that would kill me). Large hospitals close for rotations is also a plus. Rotations are already solid and in place.

Lebanon- in the country. If you drive less than 5 minutes there are farms, cows, chickens and other barnyard animals. 30 minutes to Corvallis or Albany (medium size cities). 60 to 90 minutes to Salem or Portland (large cities). Only one building, but plans for expansion. The hospital that is across the road is a level 2, so not huge, but does have some volume. To get to the level 1 trauma you need to get to Portland (OHSU and Emanuel). Rotations currently in place for only 1/3 the people (the NW track has been sending people up from Pomona for about 10 years), but they are building up rotation sites like crazy and should have enough by this time next year when the first class will reach third year. Possibility of rotating in Portland, but also in rural Oregon. There is affordable, nice, new apartments 500 feet across a barren field (soon to be the rest of the medical campus). Plans are in to build a VA hospital/medical center in the next few years.

Since the lectures are streamed from one site to the other, you get the benefit of having good professors at both locations. One person in last years thread was talking about the Lebanon anatomy prof (Berringer or something like that) who is an editor of Netter's Anatomy and the anatomy prof in Pomona is a paleontologist. There was slight competition between the two schools in the first semester about who had the better scores in anatomy. When they were talking about it, the Lebanon campus was slightly ahead.

The one bad thing about Lebanon is the weather. There are only three months, or so, that it does not constantly rain. I am not talking about rain like in Florida where 1-2 inches comes down in 30 minutes, but it will drizzle all day long and there will only be 1/4 to 1/2 of an inch. Just enough to make life outside miserable. Last winter there were 30 days in a row that was rainy without a break. And when it is not raining, there are clouds. It rarely snows, but when it does everything shuts down and everyone freaks out. Nobody knows how to drive in the snow here. Two inches of snow will shut down the entire city of Portland. Ha Ha.

It may get hot in Pomona in the summer, but then it is 3-4 months of staying inside with the A/C on. there are still 8-9 months that the weather is good enough to go outside and do stuff.

I am choosing the Lebanon campus. You should look at each and make a choice for yourself.

dsoz

Well dsoz, like I said in the LMU thread (in a rather lengthy post. Lol) I appreciate your insight. I know how carefully you've looked at the schools you have applied to. I am only just now beginning to formulate an idea of what factors are important to me in choosing a school. The big push for me choosing Lebanon is that my wife's family is all pretty close by in sandy. I'm sure you know where that is, being from Oregon city/Portland area.
Do you know what kind of rules they have on campus at Lebanon? I mean LECOM has shirts/ties/no drinks in class/mandatory attendance and other schools...not so much.
Also, you say they are currently working on getting more rotation spots, does that mean they don't currently have enough for all their students? I'm sure they could probably secure them quickly enough, being a nice school and all, but if they dont currently have them that could be a bad thing.
Is the tuition the same at both campuses?
Anyway, thanks again for your insight.

Well dsoz, like I said in the LMU thread (in a rather lengthy post. Lol) I appreciate your insight. I know how carefully you've looked at the schools you have applied to. I am only just now beginning to formulate an idea of what factors are important to me in choosing a school. The big push for me choosing Lebanon is that my wife's family is all pretty close by in sandy. I'm sure you know where that is, being from Oregon city/Portland area.
Do you know what kind of rules they have on campus at Lebanon? I mean LECOM has shirts/ties/no drinks in class/mandatory attendance and other schools...not so much.
Also, you say they are currently working on getting more rotation spots, does that mean they don't currently have enough for all their students? I'm sure they could probably secure them quickly enough, being a nice school and all, but if they dont currently have them that could be a bad thing.

Ya, I know Sandy. I grew up in Gresham, about 20 minutes from Sandy.

As for COMP, At the start they needed to wear nice clothes because it was a new school and there were people from the community watching them. It did deteriorate to almost anything goes... Class attendance is mandatory, but there are not assigned seats (like LECOM), and they video record and post the lecture so if you miss one or two you can still watch them from home. I do think that they take attendance by giving a "quiz" using clickers. There are many brands, but if you don't know what they are this is one example http://www.iclicker.com/ it is basically a multiple choice response unit that logs your response to the question/survey. Pretty handy for teachers to get a quick check for understanding.

Since the school is new, there are no third year students yet. The rotations that are present are only for the 30 or so students that were in the old "NW track" from Pomona. So yes, right now there are not enough spots for next year (about 107 students), so they need to build more spots in the area. I have heard that they have spots in Newport (at the beach), Bend (central Oregon), Portland, and up into Washington. South to Roseburg or Grant's Pass. Maybe even to Medford (~3 hours away). This would be something to watch for and to ask about in an interview.

I asked Jeanie (admissions counselor that gave me and my wife a tour) about tuition. 49K +/-. I think it is the same as Pomona. Cost of living in Lebanon is not very high. A nice 2/3 bedroom apartment is $650-$800. In the Portland area a similar unit is going for at least twice that, if not more.

Your position is enviable, having so many interviews. You should narrow your list a little so you don't go bankrupt. Ha, Ha. That would look bad for interviewing for a job as a doctor.

dsoz

.http://prospective.westernu.edu/assets/prospective/osteopathic/comp-secondary-app-instructions.pdf.

.on there it says that if you applied to both campuses, you should also submit a secondary application to the other campus. BUT just as you say, they will only consider your application to the campus of your choice..

.i read the earlier post ".If one school rejects you, then the other school MIGHT give you a chance, but there is no evidence that shows that they will."

id like to call them tomorrow to ask them about this

dsoz is pretty accurate in their assessment of the program here. Regarding the rotations, if we all went to wards tomorrow, there would indeed not be enough space. The understanding we have is that the school is just about there (unclear what fraction of the way to "there" is, but whatever) when it comes to getting all the spots secured. We have our rotation selection lottery in November, so hopefully by the they'll have their stuff worked out. Asking direct questions about where rotations are and what percentage are ward based (versus clinic) would be high yield. Ward based rotations are generally accepted as higher quality than clinic.

As for rules, Western loves bureaucracy. They aren't LECOM, but compared to the undergrad/graduate schools I've been to, they are very petty. I get the sense that a lot of the rules comes from the California campus but our resident Office of Student Affairs loves to get in on the action. Personally, I hate it but I've gotten pretty good at dealing with it. The rest of the faculty and student body make up for it...usually.

dsoz is pretty accurate in their assessment of the program here. Regarding the rotations, if we all went to wards tomorrow, there would indeed not be enough space. The understanding we have is that the school is just about there (unclear what fraction of the way to "there" is, but whatever) when it comes to getting all the spots secured. We have our rotation selection lottery in November, so hopefully by the they'll have their stuff worked out. Asking direct questions about where rotations are and what percentage are ward based (versus clinic) would be high yield. Ward based rotations are generally accepted as higher quality than clinic.

As for rules, Western loves bureaucracy. They aren't LECOM, but compared to the undergrad/graduate schools I've been to, they are very petty. I get the sense that a lot of the rules comes from the California campus but our resident Office of Student Affairs loves to get in on the action. Personally, I hate it but I've gotten pretty good at dealing with it. The rest of the faculty and student body make up for it...usually.

Well thanks to both you and dsoz for the great replies. I will ask about rotations in the interview, that's a very good idea. Good to know also that ward based vs clinic based rotations are generally better quality.
Dsoz, you're right, I need to limit the number of interviews I go to, that's part of the reason why I'm grilling everyone for info :D western in lebanon is definitely one I'm going to though. Thanks guys!

YAY! An II today. That makes me happy!

dsoz

Lebanon- in the country. If you drive less than 5 minutes there are farms, cows, chickens and other barnyard animals. 30 minutes to Corvallis or Albany (medium size cities). 60 to 90 minutes to Salem or Portland (large cities). Only one building, but plans for expansion. The hospital that is across the road is a level 2, so not huge, but does have some volume. To get to the level 1 trauma you need to get to Portland (OHSU and Emanuel). Rotations currently in place for only 1/3 the people (the NW track has been sending people up from Pomona for about 10 years), but they are building up rotation sites like crazy and should have enough by this time next year when the first class will reach third year. Possibility of rotating in Portland, but also in rural Oregon. There is affordable, nice, new apartments 500 feet across a barren field (soon to be the rest of the medical campus). Plans are in to build a VA hospital/medical center in the next few years.

dsoz
All of the information that you had was very good. It all comes down to the feel of the school for you. I do want to make 1 correction to what you have said, the hospital across the street is a Level 4 trauma center not a level 2. For the most part if they have any sick patients they are going to be sending them to Corvallis, Salem, or Portland. that being said, you have the opportunity to do your rotations pretty much anywhere in the state, including Washington and Idaho. The housing is very heap in Lebanon and I am in a great apartment for a reasonable price.

Oh and to everybody, good luck with the interviews and invites. Maybe I'll see you guys at the interview. I'll be one of the 30 people studying at school:laugh:

Are you going Sept 29th or Oct 13? I got an invite today and will be there on the 29th! So very excited!:soexcited:

I signed up for the September date. It would be nice to hear back from my interview at Bradenton before this one interviews. Either way, COMP is a great place, and I would love to attend.

dsoz

Has anyone attempted to contact the admissions office? I've been trying for over a week and it seems that they are never in the office. I've tried both Susan Hanson and Jeannie Davis's numbers multiple times.

Has anyone attempted to contact the admissions office? I've been trying for over a week and it seems that they are never in the office. I've tried both Susan Hanson and Jeannie Davis's numbers multiple times.

Did you leave a message for them to call you back?

Try email. Sometimes it is easier to get an answer. [email protected]

dsoz

How long did it take after being released to getting a secondary? I applied to ten schools and had secondaries from seven of them within two days, not a word from Western yet. Thanks.

How long did it take after being released to getting a secondary? I applied to ten schools and had secondaries from seven of them within two days, not a word from Western yet. Thanks.

Feel free to check my mdapps account (mdapplicants.com) using my mdapps ID found just under my avatar. I have specific dates there for release and receipt of secondary, but I do remember western taking longer than most other schools.

For everyone who got an interview invite.. did you get an application complete for your secondary and when did you finish your secondary?

For everyone who got an interview invite.. did you get an application complete for your secondary and when did you finish your secondary?

No complete email, but I did get an email from Jessica asking about my letters that were sent from Interfolio. It was cleared up in a matter of 30 minutes.

The personal phone call inviting to an interview is a nice touch.

dsoz

Feel free to check my mdapps account (mdapplicants.com) using my mdapps ID found just under my avatar. I have specific dates there for release and receipt of secondary, but I do remember western taking longer than most other schools.

Dude... You are not keeping up with your MDApps... Get with it man. Be proud of the acceptance that you hold! You WILL go to med school next year. Now the only question is WHERE?

dsoz

Dude... You are not keeping up with your MDApps... Get with it man. Be proud of the acceptance that you hold! You WILL go to med school next year. Now the only question is WHERE?

dsoz

Ugh, yeah you're right. I shouldn't direct people to my mdapps acct if it's not updated. Problem is I keep losing my login info, it somehow isn't what I remembered it being the last time I logged in. Lol

I would like to attend the September 28 dinner. I was wondering if any current students could give some insight into what the style is like. Do you need to be there promptly at six or is it an open house setup? Also how formal is it? Will slacks and a nice shirt be fine? I just don't want to show up late if I don't get to town by six, and not be dressed correctly, over or underdone. Thanks for your help.

I would like to attend the September 28 dinner. I was wondering if any current students could give some insight into what the style is like. Do you need to be there promptly at six or is it an open house setup? Also how formal is it? Will slacks and a nice shirt be fine? I just don't want to show up late if I don't get to town by six, and not be dressed correctly, over or underdone. Thanks for your help.

From last year's thread. Scroll down a little to read about the dress code. It sounds casual.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=12175351&highlight=pizza#post12175351

I did a thread search from last year with the key word "pizza"

I will be there too, and I have a room at the Phoenix inn, where the pizza night is being held.

I was planning on not doing it, but I was talking with a current student, and he stated that the pizza night was ALMOST an unwritten requirement. Do everything in your power to be there and appear interested and interesting (but not a gunner). I do know that at least one professor shows up in jeans and a t-shirt and blends in. Most don't know he is a prof when they talk to him. He gets some good insight into your personality before the shields go up.

dsoz

I believe there will be 1 current student sitting in on the panel interviews this year for interviews, along with the 3 from the faculty/clinicians/ect.