What's worse: Getting 2 C's in core undergrad classes or withdrawing them?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rosyrisu

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was sick with strep for 2 weeks and during those 2 weeks I missed the lectures leading up to 3 tests in 2 classes(bio 2 has a lab and lecture integrated into 1 class and they both had tests the same week, and a gen chem 2 test). Both my bio and chem prof did not allow me to reschedule those tests for another day and as a result I did very, very poor in them. My grades tanked from an A to a C in a matter of a week! UGH. Since I already have 3 C's (1 C is in nursing chem, different from my degree), I don't want to risk getting more and dropping my GPA even lower. The dropout deadline is this Friday and I want to get opinions or experiences on this.

Should I drop out of both or just one of them? If I drop out of them, I do plan on taking them next semester and continuing as is. Dropping both of these classes will also bring me from taking 15 credit hours to 7..

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
If you are a freshman, two C's wont destroy your GPA. GPA is more reflective of a pattern of study habits - long term you can easily pull 3.9.

If you are dead set on withdrawing and retaking, go ahead. It will suck up your time but you might feel that it is worth it.

it depends on if you're confident you can do well in them the second time around after withdrawing. if yes, go for the withdraw with the understanding that you'll have to explain them (in a mature, non-blaming way) in applications.

in the long run if you get better grades it'll help during the application cycle because it'll boost your GPA for potential screenings. then you can worry about the explanations.

the other side is that if you do poorly the second time around, the additional withdraw may hurt you. but withdraws don't factor into the GPA whereas Cs and then retakes would for MD.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If you feel confident that you can bring your bio and chem grade to a B- then stick through with it. If you feel as if you can't recover, take the W's. As you progress into your academic career, any more W's may be a death note.

Last edited:
Alright. Well, I guess I'll edit my answer.

If you are a freshman, two C's wont destroy your GPA. GPA is more reflective of a pattern of study habits - long term you can easily pull 3.9.

If you are dead set on withdrawing and retaking, go ahead. It will suck up your time but you might feel that it is worth it.

I'm actually a sophomore :( And if I were to continue taking these classes then it would be 5 C's plus a ~3.3-3.5 GPA at the end of my degree. Yikes.

it depends on if you're confident you can do well in them the second time around after withdrawing. if yes, go for the withdraw with the understanding that you'll have to explain them (in a mature, non-blaming way) in applications.

in the long run if you get better grades it'll help during the application cycle because it'll boost your GPA for potential screenings. then you can worry about the explanations.

the other side is that if you do poorly the second time around, the additional withdraw may hurt you. but withdraws don't factor into the GPA whereas Cs and then retakes would for MD.

I'm not sure if you know this, but is it true that if you were to get a C in a course, retake it, then get an A, would MD schools "average" it out into a B or only consider your original grade? From what I've read on SDN, DO schools do not look at the grade you got in the first place, just the replaced grade.

I would suggest that if you take the W's, you now have to fit (and pay for) two additional classes in your future schedule. I am not a big fan of taking W, nor do I think having the W as a frosh with a real issue of strep will bother adcoms. Nor do I think the C's especially as a freshman. So I would think of the time energy impact as you try to do all the other things in school.

I'm actually a sophomore :( and if I were to receive those 2 C's then I would technically have 5 C's total (4C's if I were to exclude the nursing class).

I actually calculated my GPA if I were to receive A's the rest of the time I'm at Uni, plus a few extra courses [GPA boosters], and the grades I received in other courses:
If I were to retake the courses and have only 3 C's: cGPA=3.78
If I do not retake the courses and get 5 C's: cGPA= 3.68

Would that be considered a competitive GPA?

I'm not sure if you know this, but is it true that if you were to get a C in a course, retake it, then get an A, would MD schools "average" it out into a B or only consider your original grade? From what I've read on SDN, DO schools do not look at the grade you got in the first place, just the replaced grade.

yes that is correct. AMCAS (the application system for MD schools) averages retakes while AACOMAS (the application system for DO schools) uses your last retake to calculate the sGPA and cGPA. hence why AACOMAS is much more forgiving for retakes and AMCAS isn't.

that's why I initially said, since you posted this in the pre-MD forum, that taking the withdrawals and then doing well in the courses a second time would benefit your GPA more than if you received Cs and then retook the courses for AMCAS. for AACOMAS it matters less but would still be important for trend consideration.

5 Cs really doesn't look good, especially if they're in your core science prerequisite courses. I would maybe take the withdrawals and figure out why you may be struggling in those courses. if they're your first withdrawals, I really don't think they'll be too alarming to explain.