Wisconsin 2014!

Started by cowgirla
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For those of you who haven't booked flights yet, I think it is generally quite a bit cheaper to fly into Milwaukee than Madison. The two cities are only about 1-1.5 hours apart, so if you're renting a car anyway...

[I actually am flying into Milwaukee, and it's still expensive. But not as expensive as I saw Madison was going to be!

If anyone is getting into Milwaukee the evening of Thu, 3/25 and leaving the morning of 3/27 and wants to share a rental car, let me know.]

Actually, scratch all of that. I just had a pleasant turn of events and will be flying into Madison without cost being an issue. 😀
 
Last edited:
You can also fly into Chicago. It is a little farther, but can be a lot cheaper.

Also, congrats to everyone!!!
 
Thanks for the info! I'll have to sit down with my dad tonight and figure out the best plan - I'm really hoping these tickets will end up coming from his frequent flier plan!

Comeonnn Tuskegee and Oklahoma!!! Show me some luv :xf:

It's gonna happen, crittergal! We're pulling for you!!! :luck:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Even if you aren't renting a car, there is a bus that goes from Chicago (O'Hare) to campus (Van Galder bus lines--or something like that). It drops you right at the student Union. And, the free campus shuttle will take you from the Union to the vet school. But you will need to do some extra planning, because the bus ride is ~2.5 hours.

There is also a Badger bus that runs between campus and Milwaukee.

(Can you tell that there was a time when I didn't have a car in Madison...)

Wish I was going to be there with you guys! :cry:
 
There is also the Megabus which has some routes that go from Chicago to Madison or even Minneapolis to Madison, though I can't imagine flying into Minneapolis would be cheaper than flying into Chicago. The fares on the Megabus tend to be cheap, but I've never taken it myself.
 
There is also the Megabus which has some routes that go from Chicago to Madison or even Minneapolis to Madison, though I can't imagine flying into Minneapolis would be cheaper than flying into Chicago. The fares on the Megabus tend to be cheap, but I've never taken it myself.

My cousin's used it a lot and tells me that the megabus is really inconvenient for Madison. Something about filling up tickets for Chicago-Milwaukee and Milwaukee-Minneapolis and although they do stop in Madison it's really hard to get on there to get back to Chicago. Not saying it can't be done, but if anyone goes with Megabus I'd definitely check with them or someone who's taken it from Madison before...
 
I would try kayak.com for airline tickets. You can get cheap American Airlines and Delta tickets straight to Madison.

Also, here's a link for the badger bus if you fly into Milwaukee instead-http://www.badgerbusonline.com/ticketing/BasicSchedule.aspx
👍
 
[I actually am flying into Milwaukee, and it's still expensive. But not as expensive as I saw Madison was going to be!

If anyone is getting into Milwaukee the evening of Thu, 3/25 and leaving the morning of 3/27 and wants to share a rental car, let me know.]

Actually, scratch all of that. I just had a pleasant turn of events and will be flying into Madison without cost being an issue. 😀

May have just had the same surprise as you! 🙂 You going to be flying straight to Madison then? Are you going to be getting a rental car still? I'm trying to debate if I need one for the morning of the 26th to get to my hotel and then the school. The boy is driving up from his project in Illinois that day to spend the weekend up in Madison, with the rental car being taken care of by his company. I'm leaning towards shuttles and taxis for the morning of the visit. Hmmm...
 
Hello. For those of you at Wisc now or know about the waiting list. Do you know really how many people they go through. I am in the 120s (I know far back) but I am OOS and the letter says they have gone in the past from 25-85 people off the OOS alternate list---so my question is--does the number we got (ie. mine in the 120s) count as an ALL OOS people or is that list mixed with instates??? PLEASE TELL ME ANYTHING!

THANKS 🙂
 
May have just had the same surprise as you! 🙂 You going to be flying straight to Madison then? Are you going to be getting a rental car still? I'm trying to debate if I need one for the morning of the 26th to get to my hotel and then the school. The boy is driving up from his project in Illinois that day to spend the weekend up in Madison, with the rental car being taken care of by his company. I'm leaning towards shuttles and taxis for the morning of the visit. Hmmm...

I haven't decided yet. I need to figure out where I'm staying and how close together (or not) everything is. I'll feel less bad about getting a car now, if I do, but it would be nice to not have that cost. Let me know if you get any breaking news about shuttles 🙂
 
I haven't decided yet. I need to figure out where I'm staying and how close together (or not) everything is. I'll feel less bad about getting a car now, if I do, but it would be nice to not have that cost. Let me know if you get any breaking news about shuttles 🙂

I definitely will! I'll be calling around to hotels today to see which ones will pick you up at the airport for free. Maybe if we're in the same place we can even split a cab to the school! I'll keep you updated!
 
Hello. For those of you at Wisc now or know about the waiting list. Do you know really how many people they go through. I am in the 120s (I know far back) but I am OOS and the letter says they have gone in the past from 25-85 people off the OOS alternate list---so my question is--does the number we got (ie. mine in the 120s) count as an ALL OOS people or is that list mixed with instates??? PLEASE TELL ME ANYTHING!

THANKS 🙂


The waitlists are separate.


(Just thought I would throw this out there: If more than 10 of the IS people who got accepted wouldn't mind withdrawing or going OOS that would be super🙄)
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The waitlists are separate.


(Just thought I would throw this out there: If more than 10 of the IS people who got accepted wouldn't mind withdrawing or going OOS that would be super🙄)


Ha ha! I am actually going to Iowa State so you have 1 IS person who will be declining.🙂
 
Another question, sorry to be a pest!

😀 I will most likely be attending Madison, so I'm looking into finding a place to live. I'm really aiming to rent a house or condo/townhome with a garage (it's the SO's one stipulation, lol).

So can anyone clue me into nice areas? Places to avoid like the plague? I live in a SUPER sketchy area right now and would love to avoid this in the future. Aiming for below 1k p/month, must allow dog (I have 2 under 20 lbs...actually if I glued them together they'd still be under 20 lbs total).

😉 Thanks guys!

Oh. Also, anyone know of a place to do Bikram yoga?
 
Another question, sorry to be a pest!

😀 I will most likely be attending Madison, so I'm looking into finding a place to live. I'm really aiming to rent a house or condo/townhome with a garage (it's the SO's one stipulation, lol).

So can anyone clue me into nice areas? Places to avoid like the plague? I live in a SUPER sketchy area right now and would love to avoid this in the future. Aiming for below 1k p/month, must allow dog (I have 2 under 20 lbs...actually if I glued them together they'd still be under 20 lbs total).

😉 Thanks guys!

Oh. Also, anyone know of a place to do Bikram yoga?

As far as finding a place in Madison I can honestly tell you there are really no sketchy areas. The benefits of the midwest! 🙂 The west side of Madison is more upper class than the east side, but the prices definitely reflect that. There are a ton of condos/town-homes on the east side that are more reasonable but you will have to drive a little further. If you are ok with a short drive check out Cottage Grove and Sun Prairie, two eastern suburbs. I would not recommend living on or near main campus. The places available for rent are typical of a college town, not very nice, and they raise the rent because the undergrads don't have any other options.

I don't know about Bikram yoga, sorry, there are quite a few health clubs though, and a bunch of running/biking paths. My husband and I practice martial arts, so I know there are quite a few martial arts gyms. I will say that for a midwestern town/city, Madison is as far from boring as you can get. I would be willing to bet they have something you would be interested in. Hope that helps, if you need more info just let me know. I will most likely not be attending Madison but I will be at the open house, I want to make an educated decision!
 
hey! i got my acceptance letter last wednesday🙂...i was wondering if you guys know of any lists that show people who will be in our class or any threads for people looking for places to live?
I think that would be helpful to find a roommate...
 
I know a lot of people met through the C/O 2013 facebook group for roommates...there wasn't one for C/O 2014 yesterday, but someone could start the ball rolling!
 
You just made my day! :soexcited:
So I am new to this forum. I am an IS applicant who is the 3rd ranked alternate. I am practically losing my mind from waiting to hear anything. Are there any other IS's who have been offered admission but will be declining admission or at least contemplating it? Congrats to all those who have made it, this is my 3rd time applying.
 
I wanna join the group, but I'm not totally sure I'm going to become a Badger yet! Why can't March come sooner so I can visit the school and decide?!
 
I wanna join the group, but I'm not totally sure I'm going to become a Badger yet! Why can't March come sooner so I can visit the school and decide?!

Haha, I joined the groups for all three of my schools even though I'm reeeeally undecided. Figured it's a good way to meet some people, ask questions, and get a feel for each program. Can't wait to meet you in March!
 
Haha, I joined the groups for all three of my schools even though I'm reeeeally undecided. Figured it's a good way to meet some people, ask questions, and get a feel for each program. Can't wait to meet you in March!

Well, OK, if that's what all the cool kids are doing, I guess I'll go be a lemming. 😀
 
Can anyone provide a date (or an educated guess) of when fall classes will start at Wisconsin? Thanksss
 
Can anyone provide a date (or an educated guess) of when fall classes will start at Wisconsin? Thanksss


The mandatory orientation for new students is from Aug 26-28 and the classes begin on the 30th.
 
For those of you currently at Wisconsin or who are planning on going to the open house next Friday, what's the dress code like for the event? Interview attire, khakis and a sweater, totally casual? Any idea?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I had just planned on casual. I mean, they've already accepted us, as long as we don't show up naked, there's probably not much they're gonna do.
 
I was wondering that too. I will probably err on the side of casually overdressing. Not jeans and a sweatshirt, but no suit either. Probably a sweater or dressy top depending on the weather. I'm getting excited! I was in Madison last weekend for something else, and I poked around the vet campus. I can't wait for the 26th!
 
I was thinking along the same lines, a nice top and maybe khaki pants or something, possibly nice jeans. I don't want to be sloppy but comfortable since we'll be there for 5 hours. Hopefully the weather will stay nice for next week. I can't wait!
 
on that same open-house-etiquette thread, are y'all bringing anyone with you? i haven't seen my big sis in forever so she's meeting me in madison and we're making a weekend of it...i had planned on bringing her along to the open house (another perspective always helps, right?) but now i'm wondering if she'll feel totally weird. anybody else bringing family/friends/significant others?

can't WAIT to meet everyone 🙂
 
jennywren, I'm possibly bringing the boy with me for the open house. He's on a work project down in Illinois and is driving up to spend the weekend with me. Depending on how the week is going he's going to try to make it for a noon arrival in Madison, but we might have to end up meeting that night if they're swamped. I put "2" down on the RSVP paper anyway. 🙂
 
Yep, I'm thinking about bringing the boy too. I put down "2" on the RSVP but we'll see if he ends up just wanting to do his own thing and explore Madison. We are currently on the hunt for a dog-friendly place to live, which is always a challenge, so he might just want to work on that.
 
My mother is coming, she wants to see the vet school and will be helping me find a place to live with my 2 dogs. She's worried she will be the only parent there.
 
When I interviewed at Tufts there were tons of parents, so I imagine this might be similar. I always like it when parents come along on this kind of thing because they tend to not be as worried about appearing knowledeable or cool, so they ask some good questions that nobody else is willing to ask 😀
 
I'm going alllllll by my lonesome. It's too far a journey for friends/family. I don't live anywhere near them, or Madison.
 
on that same open-house-etiquette thread, are y'all bringing anyone with you? i haven't seen my big sis in forever so she's meeting me in madison and we're making a weekend of it...i had planned on bringing her along to the open house (another perspective always helps, right?) but now i'm wondering if she'll feel totally weird. anybody else bringing family/friends/significant others?

can't WAIT to meet everyone 🙂


i'm in pretty much the EXACT situation...making a weekend out of it with my sister as well, and dragging her to the open house too so no, you won't be the only one doing that 🙂
 
I heard that last year most brought parents, friends and SOs. Dress code was fairly casual, i.e. jeans and a nicer shirt, although I'm probably erring on the side of khaki's.
 
yay! my sister's been very supportive but i think is kind of secretly skeptical about joining me for the open house. maybe she'll be more inclined if i guilt-trip her by telling her other siblings will be there (thanks, chordy!). and variegata, if you're lonely you're more than welcome to be our honorary sister for the day 🙂 maybe they'd give us a family discount on tuition?

re: the dress code, i had every intention of wearing jeans and cowboy boots. and about eighteen layers on top, because it's seventy-five degrees here in texas and get hypothermia just thinking about wisconsin weather. sigh.
 
re: the dress code, i had every intention of wearing jeans and cowboy boots. and about eighteen layers on top, because it's seventy-five degrees here in texas and get hypothermia just thinking about wisconsin weather. sigh.

You won't be the only one wandering around in jeans and cowboy boots - there's more than a couple students who make it their daily attire.

Dress comfortable. I think last year I just dressed normally - jeans, shirt...underwear...

And it's probably not going to be THAT cold. I think somewhere in the 40s?

Looking forward to meeting all of you!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
yay! my sister's been very supportive but i think is kind of secretly skeptical about joining me for the open house. maybe she'll be more inclined if i guilt-trip her by telling her other siblings will be there (thanks, chordy!). and variegata, if you're lonely you're more than welcome to be our honorary sister for the day 🙂 maybe they'd give us a family discount on tuition?

re: the dress code, i had every intention of wearing jeans and cowboy boots. and about eighteen layers on top, because it's seventy-five degrees here in texas and get hypothermia just thinking about wisconsin weather. sigh.

Hee, awesome. I'd been hoping everyone would be friendly since it's way too far to drag someone along with me. Plus, either of my parents would drive me up the wall traveling with me.

I'll be freezing too. It was 80 gorgeous degrees yesterday and I spent the afternoon on the beach. I'll be wearing several layers. Hopefully it's stay in the 40s-50s like it has been so I won't freeze too badly.
 
I'll be freezing too. It was 80 gorgeous degrees yesterday and I spent the afternoon on the beach. I'll be wearing several layers. Hopefully it's stay in the 40s-50s like it has been so I won't freeze too badly.[/QUOTE]

You should have seen people today, it was almost 60 by the lake here and they were wearing shorts, t-shirts and flip-flops. It did feel really nice to feel the sun, if you move here, you'll be amazed at what you consider warm after a while. 🙂
 
I'll be helping out next Friday, and I am super excited to meet all of you too!

Awesome! You'll have to let us know how to recognize you! 🙂

And about the weather - I really do like winter, but everytime I mention Wisconsin as one of the schools on my list, people look at me like I said Siberia. Or Anarctica. Is it really that bad?
 
And about the weather - I really do like winter said:
Haha, No, it's really not that bad! I got the same response when I moved from Oregon to Minnesota for college. Even my parents can't quite believe that the Midwest is not the Tundra. Starting my freshman year in college, my mom has sent me an increasingly-intense pair of gore-tex gloves each year, and does not miss an opportunity to lecture me over the phone about how "frostbite can happen really quickly. Don't even go to check your mail without gloves on."😛 Really though, you have to bundle in the winter, but the beautiful spring, summer, and fall more than make up for it.
Actually, the weather should be really nice next weekend. We have 60's forecasted in the Twin Cities, and Madison is usually a bit warmer than here.