WSU (Washington State) C/O 2021 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So when should more OOS people hear about interviews?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Just because we haven't heard back yet though doesn't mean we are rejected... I thought they were sending more invites...

I'm not sure. Have any tier 2 or 3 applicants received invites?

So far I think only tier 1 applicants have gotten invites (???) which MAY indicate more invites are coming out, but of course there are loads of applicants that aren't even on the forum reporting what they've gotten/haven't gotten..

Sent from my SM-G935V using SDN mobile

I'm tier 2 and haven't heard anything.

All snail mail and email rejections/invites are supposed to be sent by the end of this month.

Reactions: 1 users
Just because we haven't heard back yet though doesn't mean we are rejected... I thought they were sending more invites...

They are I'm just being a nonce

I'm tier two and haven't heard anything

So far I think only tier 1 applicants have gotten invites (???) which MAY indicate more invites are coming out, but of course there are loads of applicants that aren't even on the forum reporting what they've gotten/haven't gotten..

Ok, I also just checked their website. It states:
-January 30 - February 3, 2017 are Nonresident Interviews in Pullman, WA
-All decisions will be sent out by the end of December at the latest

So we definitely know our fate either way by the end of December. Thanks guys! The chances at Washington for an OOS person is less than 2%, so I did not have high hopes to begin with.

I'm tier 1 by cumulative GPA and still haven't heard anything.

According to their tier explanations, tier 3 doesn't normally get invites, so my guess is that tier 3 rejection letters are what would be sent out first. Tier 2 and tier 1 both seem to possibly go either way...

They are I'm just being a nonce

Ever the optimist :laugh:

I'm tier 1 but I'm not getting my hopes up -- there will probably be a sad letter waiting for me some time this week. Although I do live in CA so I'm wondering what the hold up is!:scared:

Also tier 2 OOS, haven't received anything yet. Last year they went out a lot earlier (got that letter in the mail as my 2nd rejection).

I'm tier 1 but I'm not getting my hopes up -- there will probably be a sad letter waiting for me some time this week. Although I do live in CA so I'm wondering what the hold up is!:scared:

Who's the optimist now. I will say there's no point in stressing out over it though, nothing we can say or do will make it get here faster than it's supposed to so you might as well just enjoy yourself

Members don't see this ad :)

I'm tier I in all of the categories and I did receive an invitation to interview. I'm also OOS.

I'm from California as well! Tier 1 and haven't received anything. Lol but its all good. Lol

Last edited:
last year, they send out 3 or 4 waves of interview invites throughout December.

I'm from California as well! Tier 1 and haven't received anything. Lol but its all good. Lol

Me three ! Definitely expecting my rejection letter in the mail tomorrow though ! :/

Have any tier 2 emails gone out?

I'm Tier 2 and still have not gotten either an interview invite or rejection email/letter.

I just got an interview invite via email OOS tier 1. They are still going out so check your email. I hope to hear good news from those who have been waiting.

Reactions: 5 users
Just got an interview invite!!! I'm so excited! This is the first I've heard from any school. OOS!

Reactions: 7 users
No snail mail rejection today but also no email. Either they're still sending out more T1 invites, beginning to send out T1 rejections, or getting ready to move onto T2? Either way....

*obsessive checking of email and snailmail every day intensifies*

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
To those (OOS) who were invited. Would you mind sharing your stats. ☺️

cGPA 3.28
sGPA 3.79
Last 45 4.0
V 156 71% Q 182 82% W 4.5 82%

980 vet hours at one emergency clinic.
1000+? animal hours with small animal and equine.
Nontraditional student after 3+ years out of school and working in the financial industry. Undergrad degree in mathematics and statistics.

Reactions: 4 users

cGPA: 3.65
sGPA: Either 3.62 or 3.67. Not sure what WSU uses
Last 45 GPA: 4.0 (Undergrad GPA was 3.58)
GRE: 168 V, 165 Q, 5.0 W
Biochem major at top 20 university
~900 vet hours, mostly small animal (largely shelter, my main interest) but some equine, exotic, and wildlife. Around the same number of animal hours- some small, some large, lots of wildlife. About 500 hours research (not animal related)

I'm a non-trad in my late twenties with a ton of non-animal/non-vet leadership and volunteering, plus some interesting work experiences. I think that's what's helping me more than my stats. At the very least, I think it's helping my application stand out.

cGPA: 3.7
sGPA: 3.6ish (can't remember exact number)
Last 45 GPA: 3.64
GRE: 155 V, 145 Q, 4.0 W

Biology major (senior)
I can't remember the numbers for my hours, but I've been an intern at a wildlife rehabilitation center for almost 2 years (super good leadership experience plus non-traditional animals), volunteer at animal shelters for 8 years, worked at a small animal clinic, and a bunch of smaller work experiences with animals in wildlife and shelter

cGPA: 3.65
sGPA: Either 3.62 or 3.67. Not sure what WSU uses
Last 45 GPA: 4.0 (Undergrad GPA was 3.58)
GRE: 168 V, 165 Q, 5.0 W
Biochem major at top 20 university
~900 vet hours, mostly small animal (largely shelter, my main interest) but some equine, exotic, and wildlife. Around the same number of animal hours- some small, some large, lots of wildlife. About 500 hours research (not animal related)

I'm a non-trad in my late twenties with a ton of non-animal/non-vet leadership and volunteering, plus some interesting work experiences. I think that's what's helping me more than my stats. At the very least, I think it's helping my application stand out.
Good grief your stats are amazing already. Good for you.

Good grief your stats are amazing already. Good for you.

Thanks! I felt pretty mediocre going into this cycle, but I'm doing well with interviews so far. I think I'm learning to not compare myself to others on here. I'm also realizing that all the time I took between undergrad and applying is paying off.

Also, @Platypus0417 and anyone else curious about stats, WSU doesn't break data down into IS vs. OOS, but their class statistics page here is actually pretty useful. It gives ranges as well as what percent of people were in each tier category for cGPA/sGPA/GRE.

cGPA: 3.89
Science: 3.98
Last 30: 4.0

GRE: 148 Q, 152V, 4.0 A (impressive I know)

Animal Science Major

About 500 vet hours small and exotic. 100 hours volunteering at wildlife rehab, 100 hours volunteering at shelter, and 50 hours working with large pasture animals (also at wildlife rehab). Most of my animal experience hours came after I already submitted my application but I emailed WSU in November to update experience.

I also worked all four years in college as a landscaper and worked at my university doing maintenance work.

Awesome thanks guys!!! Okay I feel more confident. My stats are similar!!!!

You all knock my socks off. If vet schools don't fall over themselves accepting you then they are crazy.

Reactions: 5 users
Got it. Thanks! I accepted it and am going to probably request a change of date or time at a later point. I'd be curious to hear whether you get to choose or you get another random date and time.

They got back to me and said they have no availability for the date I requested. :(
But I accepted the date they gave me because I'm not gunna miss out on this opportunity!

@yessums @bombai and whoever else is looking to change- mine is set for Wednesday, Feb. 1 but I would really like to change to a Monday or Friday if possible. If anyone wants to switch with me, let me know!

This might be a dumb question, but I keep seeing everyone posting their tiers but I have no clue what tier I am. How do I know?

They got back to me and said they have no availability for the date I requested. :(
But I accepted the date they gave me because I'm not gunna miss out on this opportunity!
Thank you for letting me know! Wow, interesting. Good to know, though!

Cumulative GPA: 3.74
Science GPA: 3.76
GRE verbal : 154 quantitative: 151 Analytical: 3.5
I didn't think my GRE was great, but I knew my GPA put me in tier 1.
I have over 5,000+ hours vet experience working at a vet hospital for 8 years, also some volunteering with large animals, zoo, sea turtles, and study abroad vet course. I was an animal science major from cornell.
Congrats to everyone who got interviews and good luck to those waiting! I'm still waiting on auburn which has been tough as I know their rejections/ acceptances have already went out and I have received nothing.

Last edited:
Yes, but my IS is Cornell....lol
My IS is Cornell as well. I am a second time applicant myself and only applied to a few school last year. I did receive an interview from Florida (waitlisted after and never got off), but Cornell rejected me. It stung a lot because I graduated from Cornell undergrad this past May so I thought I had a good chance by being an undergrad there. I hate that our IS is so hard to get into!

My IS is Cornell as well. I am a second time applicant myself and only applied to a few school last year. I did receive an interview from Florida (waitlisted after and never got off), but Cornell rejected me. It stung a lot because I graduated from Cornell undergrad this past May so I thought I had a good chance by being an undergrad there. I hate that our IS is so hard to get into!

Just going by your stats, you sound like you'll be fine! I'm graduating from Cornell this May with an ansci degree--maybe we know each other :)

Anyone get invites/rejections today?

Nothing yet! Well, I'm waiting to get off work to check my mail, but no emails today. At this point any news is okay just so I can cross WSU off my list, lol.

Anyone get invites/rejections today?

I was wondering the same thing! No mail or email from them today, since I'm tier 1 I'm thinking it may just be a matter of time until my letter gets here!

Nothing yet! Well, I'm waiting to get off work to check my mail, but no emails today. At this point any news is okay just so I can cross WSU off my list, lol.

If I remember correctly you are from California right? I spoke to my colleagues and they haven't received anything. We still have a chance :) Positive thoughts

If I remember correctly you are from California right? I spoke to my colleagues and they haven't received anything. We still have a chance :) Positive thoughts

I am, and that's great to hear!