2011-2012 University of South Florida Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sammich117

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do you see as the most likely practice scenario for your future medical career? Please choose the single answer the best describes your career goals.

Private Practice
Health Policy
Academic Medicine
Public Health
Health Care Administration
Other

1. Why do you feel you are particularly suited for this practice scenario? What knowledge, skills and attitudes have you developed that have prepared you for this career path?

2. As you review your application portfolio, please identify and describe one area of your accomplishments you feel best reflects your potential as a future physician.

3. The University of South Florida, College of Medicine strives to educate a very diverse set of students who bring a variety of strengths and interests to the field of medicine. The definition of diversity is broad and includes (but is not limited to) lifestyle, race/ethnicity, geography, socioeconomic status and distance traveled through life. The definition of strength is also broad and includes (but not limited to) humanism, scholarship, intellectual curiosity, research and leadership. How do you feel your particular experiences, interests, and passions will add to the strength and diversity of the USF class and ultimately to the field of medicine?

3. Describe your ideas about how the medical profession can best respond to disparities in healthcare.

4. Who is the best leader you have known in your life? Describe what made her or him so effective and how they made you feel when you were around them.

5. Can you describe a time in your life when you felt you were "at your best" and why you chose this event?

6. Think about a person who has helped you the most in your life. Describe what they did and said, and the lasting impact they have had on you.

7. The USF College of Medicine values individual preparation of students to pursue their passions and talents in both scientific and nonscientific domains relevant to medicine. These areas include, but are not limited to the areas of inquiry in our Scholarly Concentrations program (http://www.scholarlyconcentrations.com/), which aims to support the educational development of medical students by providing opportunities for academic endeavors in areas of special interest via course work, practical application and scholarly presentation.

Please describe an area of interest and passion outside traditional coursework that you might pursue while a student here, either using the list of areas from the above website or from your own experience. How would engaging in structured activity in this area make you a better doctor?

8. If you have experienced academic difficulties, please explain the situation and how it was resolved. (Please explain all grades less than a "B" (including B-) or any "withdrawal" on your transcripts).

Best of luck with your application :luck::luck::luck:!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Good luck to everyone applying :luck:

If you have any questions about USF or SELECT in particular, I'd be happy to answer what I can. I'm moving from PA to Tampa this July so my extent of knowledge on the area is limited to my apartment complex and the surrounding block(s).

I am about to finish up a MSMS degree here at USF in a few weeks. First time applicant, so let's get this party started!

I will also try my best to answer questions anybody may have about the Bay area and around campus. I only have a working knowledge about the medical facilities, etc. from this past year of education. They have been doing a LOT of construction in the anatomy area, so I am curious to see what sort of renovations were made.

Good Luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
Any SELECT applicants around PA, there is an open house June 18th at the hospital. If you want more information PM me and I'll give you the details and contact info.

What is this SELECT thing all about? I saw it posted in last year's thread too and am just wondering. Thanks!

What is this SELECT thing all about? I saw it posted in last year's thread too and am just wondering. Thanks!

SELECT is an MD program through the University of South Florida and Lehigh Valley Health Network. You do years 1-2 in Tampa and 3-4 in Allentown, PA. Here's the website if you want to check it out, let me know if you have any specific questions.*

http://health.usf.edu/medicine/select/connect.html*

SELECT is an MD program through the University of South Florida and Lehigh Valley Health Network. You do years 1-2 in Tampa and 3-4 in Allentown, PA. Here's the website if you want to check it out, let me know if you have any specific questions.*

http://health.usf.edu/medicine/select/connect.html*

It says that link is no longer valid. So is this something you apply for directly or they choose you for?

It says that link is no longer valid. So is this something you apply for directly or they choose you for?

Hmmm I'll check the link when I get on my computer. I'm not sure if they have changed things this year but last year we applied to USF, interviewed and were accepted to the core program and certain accepted students were then invited to interview for select and if accepted you had until May 15th to choose. I think the goal is to eventually have a separate application.

I am a rising 2nd year student who has lived in the Tampa Bay area for the past 5 years now (and lived in FL my whole life!). If anyone has questions about the school or the area, I'd be happy to answer them. I don't frequent the forums too much, but if you PM me, I will definitely reply. Good luck all!

4th year, resident admissions expert, fact checker, and clarification of myths and rumors.

I'll check every day or two, any pressing questions please PM me.

Hey guys, any words on the secondaries yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
They sent me an email just to tell me that they would soon be emailing me a secondary invite. OK.

Is your application already verified? Just wondering because I'm in the processing phase and don't want to be missing out on a secondary :)

I am waiting...patiently. :)

Does anyone know when secondaries are supposed to go out?

I am waiting...patiently. :)

Does anyone know when secondaries are supposed to go out?

i'm sorry i don't know the exact date they will be out but i know they were supposed to be sent out already but there are technical difficulties in the office, don't stress though there is no screen so you will get them as soon as they are ready and will not be at a disadvantage.

Got the secondary today. There are 9 essays that all have a 2000 character limit

Yea I heard USF's secondary is among the longest and hardest of all Florida schools..

Super fun though, right? ;) USF takes every effort to actually know their applicants as individuals rather than numbers, though I can see how the beastly secondary turns some applicants off.

Eek, no wonder it took so long to get here.

What do you see as the most likely practice scenario for your future medical career? Please choose the single answer the best describes your career goals.

Private Practice
Health Policy
Academic Medicine
Public Health
Health Care Administration
Other

1. Why do you feel you are particularly suited for this practice scenario? What knowledge, skills and attitudes have you developed that have prepared you for this career path?

2. As you review your application portfolio, please identify and describe one area of your accomplishments you feel best reflects your potential as a future physician.

3. The University of South Florida, College of Medicine strives to educate a very diverse set of students who bring a variety of strengths and interests to the field of medicine. The definition of diversity is broad and includes (but is not limited to) lifestyle, race/ethnicity, geography, socioeconomic status and distance traveled through life. The definition of strength is also broad and includes (but not limited to) humanism, scholarship, intellectual curiosity, research and leadership. How do you feel your particular experiences, interests, and passions will add to the strength and diversity of the USF class and ultimately to the field of medicine?

4. Describe your ideas about how the medical profession can best respond to disparities in healthcare.

5. Who is the best leader you have known in your life? Describe what made her or him so effective and how they made you feel when you were around them.

6. Can you describe a time in your life when you felt you were "at your best" and why you chose this event?

6. Think about a person who has helped you the most in your life. Describe what they did and said, and the lasting impact they have had on you.

8. The USF College of Medicine values individual preparation of students to pursue their passions and talents in both scientific and nonscientific domains relevant to medicine. These areas include, but are not limited to the areas of inquiry in our Scholarly Concentrations program (http://www.scholarlyconcentrations.com/), which aims to support the educational development of medical students by providing opportunities for academic endeavors in areas of special interest via course work, practical application and scholarly presentation.

Please describe an area of interest and passion outside traditional coursework that you might pursue while a student here, either using the list of areas from the above website or from your own experience. How would engaging in structured activity in this area make you a better doctor?

9. If you have experienced academic difficulties, please explain the situation and how it was resolved. (Please explain all grades less than a "B" (including B-) or any "withdrawal" on your transcripts).

Last edited:
Any SELECT applicants around PA, there is an open house June 18th at the hospital. If you want more information PM me and I'll give you the details and contact info.

is there anywhere on the secondary to indicate our interest in the SELECT program?

is there anywhere on the secondary to indicate our interest in the SELECT program?
nevermind, i just figured it out. do you think as a PA resident I would have a better shot at admission if I chose to only be considered for the SELECT program ONLY, or should I choose to be considered for BOTH?

I asked someone in the admissions office and they said there will be a box to indicate "Core only", "SELECT only", or both. I can't say for sure this was actually put into effect because I don't have access to a secondary.

nevermind, i just figured it out. do you think as a PA resident I would have a better shot at admission if I chose to only be considered for the SELECT program ONLY, or should I choose to be considered for BOTH?

I'm not entirely sure. I didn't have a choice and had to be accepted to USF Com before getting invite to a select interview and having that acceptance going into a slightly more competitive interview (only bc of limited spots, neither class is more competitive than the other) was awesome. Also I was not into USF other than for select bc I'm a PA resident but the interview changed my mind, this place is awesome (and even in select u will be here for 2 years).

Has USF released the secondary app....From looking at this forum it seems like only one person got it or else they were just messing around.

got the secondary 3 days ago...took that long to turn around...what a monster!

I am having difficulty with the question that asks us to choose an accomplishment that best reflects our potential as a future physician. What type of accomplishments are people putting? Do they want to hear about academics or holding a leadership position in an organization consider an accomplishment? The question, like most, seems so open to interpretation.

IMO, I wouldn't use this space for academics. Talking about a leadership position would be more applicable. I think a clinical experience is best, though. Hope this helps and good luck!

I am having difficulty with the question that asks us to choose an accomplishment that best reflects our potential as a future physician. What type of accomplishments are people putting? Do they want to hear about academics or holding a leadership position in an organization consider an accomplishment? The question, like most, seems so open to interpretation.

I talked about a leadership position. :luck:

Just got the secondary and I was verified 6/3...

Edit: These are difficult prompts.

Last edited:
The health disparities question seems like something on which I am unqualified to comment. I stay up to date with the news, but I am not in a position to provide solutions. :confused:

I am also a bit annoyed at having to explain a B-. An 83% in Bio at my school is not a bad grade. :lame:

If I ever make it through this secondary I am going to buy myself something nice...

The health disparities question seems like something on which I am unqualified to comment. I stay up to date with the news, but I am not in a position to provide solutions. :confused:

I am also a bit annoyed at having to explain a B-. An 83% in Bio at my school is not a bad grade. :lame:

I couldn't agree more, I never thought I would need an explanation for getting above the AVERAGE grade for a course!!!

I couldn't agree more, I never thought I would need an explanation for getting above the AVERAGE grade for a course!!!

I understood it to mean 'explain any grades C or below', since it says under a B, including a B- (like a B- is still a B, you don't need to explain it).

Just my 2 cents.

I understood it to mean 'explain any grades C or below', since it says under a B, including a B- (like a B- is still a B, you don't need to explain it).

I definitely interpreted it differently.

It says: "Please explain all grades less than a “B” (including B-)" -- I think this means a B- is LESS than a B so you need to explain it. I think a short explanation indicating your grade was average or above average is all you need! Definitely not 2000 characters...

Also -- I agree with everyone else... this is the worst secondary. Just when I thought I was done with them all.. I almost don't want to do it.. talk about a weeding us out..

Status
Not open for further replies.