2009-2010 Loyola University Chicago (Stritch) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I tell myself that working on all these secondary essay prompts are going to HELP ME at interviews. These prompts sound like interview questions, and writing responses to these is like practicing what to say at interviews. :D

Ok... just trying to be optimistic with this disheartening secondary...

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not a huge fan of my advisor..do you think they are strict about having a letter from an advisor?

Their page says, 2. A letter from your premedical or academic advisor, plus three letters from your professors (two of the three should be from faculty members in science disciplines and one must be from a non-science professor). If you have no advisor, three letters will be acceptable.

...I have an advisor but I feel he doesn't really know much about me. I want to ask them if I can just do the three letters from profs who actually know me.

Since someone already posted the link to the secondary, is it possible to sign in and work on the secondary without getting the email like some people did with UIC's before the web guy fixed it?
When I tried, it didn't work. That was about a week ago.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not a huge fan of my advisor..do you think they are strict about having a letter from an advisor?

Their page says, 2. A letter from your premedical or academic advisor, plus three letters from your professors (two of the three should be from faculty members in science disciplines and one must be from a non-science professor). If you have no advisor, three letters will be acceptable.

...I have an advisor but I feel he doesn't really know much about me. I want to ask them if I can just do the three letters from profs who actually know me.

We have advisors at my school but they won't write letters for pre-meds because there are so many of us. Plus, you don't always see the same advisor unless you ask for him or her specifically.

I don't know for sure but my guess is that they aren't going to call you on it if you send 3 letter but no advisor letter. They'll just assume you read the directions and have no advisor that is willing to write letters

Ugh. Keep in mind that their margins are like 2/3 the size of standard, so 25 lines is a lot shorter than you might think. Also I don't know if the 25-line-limit includes the obligatory spaces between paragraphs?

Edit: Actually when you go to print it out it seems the margins go back to standard...

Last edited:
ha. When people force me to cram a large quantity of info into a limited amount of space, the notion of "obligatory spaces between paragraphs" flies out the window for me.

I don't see why they don't just do a word limit...

finally got this secondary... they are definitely working on getting them out (albeit, really, really slowly) :(

finally got this secondary... they are definitely working on getting them out (albeit, really, really slowly) :(
me two but man this thing is too beastly, someone write it for me :p. Actually i just realized i can copy and paste all this ahha thank god...rush on the other hand i cant as much :(

Last edited:
Secondary received. Now to write. Not looking forward to it.

those of you who have the secondary, how does the line count translate from word? i'm using 1" margins, size 11 times new romans. one of my essays is at 25 lines. it'd be annoying to have to adjust later, esp. if the lines are REALLY off.

Members don't see this ad :)
i am having trouble logging in. am i missing something...? i got the verification email but the website says:

"[SIZE=+2]Sorry, but we cannot find any information about you in our system. Please verify the information entered or contact the admissions office."[/SIZE]

nevermind....i just read about the two zeros. i am THAT tired....

Has anyone gotten a complete e-mail or anything?

Good morning Loyola admissions. I'd like you to send me an invite to fill out your secondary today.

Love,
Bryson17

Has anyone still not gotten Loyola or am I alone on this?

I'm still waiting, verified 7/2. I hope I didn't get screened out :(

I'm still waiting, verified 7/2. I hope I didn't get screened out :(
you shouldnt its a very low screen, unless you have an abnormally low section on your mcat (<8)

those of you who have the secondary, how does the line count translate from word? i'm using 1" margins, size 11 times new romans. one of my essays is at 25 lines. it'd be annoying to have to adjust later, esp. if the lines are REALLY off.
Using 12 times new roman, my 33 line prompt became 26 on their 2ndary. hope that helps. Also you are allowed to go past 25 just dont make it a novel in case anyone was wondering. few lines over for a prompt = ok...10 lines over = committee member wants to burn your app becuase of the pain you are causing him :p

Last edited:
Good morning Loyola admissions. I'd like you to send me an invite to fill out your secondary today.

Love,
Bryson17
Wow, I did this in two threads today, and it worked in both! Just got the secondary email!

Wow, I did this in two threads today, and it worked in both! Just got the secondary email!

ok, soo if I go

Good afternoon Loyola Admissions, please send me your secondary even though I am sooo burnt out from doing them, but I still want yours. so Please Please Please...

Love always,

ziggydoc

:smuggrin:

let ME try!

Dear Loyola Admissions,

I realize I have 3-5 other secondaries to be doing right now, but if you could go ahead and send me yours, I would have them accounted for at all of the school I applied to, which would really make my MDApps look good.

KThanks.

ok, soo if I go

Good afternoon Loyola Admissions, please send me your secondary even though I am sooo burnt out from doing them, but I still want yours. so Please Please Please...

Love always,

ziggydoc

:smuggrin:

ditto to what he said ^

Just submitted and sent out USPS Priority mail :xf:

Goodluck everyone!

Received the secondary today. Everyone relax. The screen is very low.

Wow, this secondary sucks. :eek: I need to see if I can copy and paste other essays for it or I might go crazy

Argh, still no secondary. This is one of the last ones to finish.

Yea i haven't received it still...

Wow, this secondary sucks. :eek: I need to see if I can copy and paste other essays for it or I might go crazy
lol if you have written a good number of 2ndaries you could do that..i think there were only 2 questions i could copy and paste...ive been working on this thing non stop since like monday trying to get it all done...making me crazy but finally sent it out today...now rush tomorrow. So excited-_-...

lol if you have written a good number of 2ndaries you could do that..i think there were only 2 questions i could copy and paste...ive been working on this thing non stop since like monday trying to get it all done...making me crazy but finally sent it out today...now rush tomorrow. So excited-_-...

Haha, I copied and pasted 4 of them. :D With only a few minor changes. But I realized I made a typo in Carver's! :scared: Wrote provice instead of provide.... so stupid. I didn't notice it in that little bitty font.

For #5, I don't know what to put. I did an independent study in high school, junior year, I think that's too far back. And I've done research as a research assistant and now I'm the lab manager, BUT, it's not MY research, so I don't know how to say what I've accomplished in the work. I'm frustrated... it's a weird question...

Edit: Oh whatever, I decided I'm just going to talk about both. Other than those, I wouldn't say I've done any "self-education" or research, or independent scholastic work. I think the ones I said should work.

Last edited:
I was actually having the same problem. So i emailed them and admissions reponded that it has to be 2 from science prof., one from an advisor or request a committee letter. So if your professor is your advisor than you have request one from another science professor. And any additional to the 2 from sci. prof., and advisor would be considered supplemental. (ill look for the email and post it on here so you guys can see how they worded everything) or just send them an email

wowowow, wait, what? :confused: Do we NEED an advisor's letter? It says, "A letter from your premedical or academic advisor, plus three letters from your professors. If you have no advisor, 3 letters will be acceptable."

So shouldn't I be okay if I just have the 3 letters (2 from science)? I technically have an academic advisor, but what a joke. I may as well not even go. The advising at our school sucked. For pre-med advising, you could go to the health careers center and ask questions but you couldn't get an advisor or even set up a personal appointment. Pain in the ***.

I finally got a secondary from Loyola... will an advisor's letter (science prof) + another science prof + a non-sci prof fulfill their requirement?

Yeah I only met with my advisor once ever... and she wasn't helpful

the premed advisor was worse :mad:

You need 2 science, 1 non science and an advisor one IF your school offers it.

If you didn't get an advisor letter you need the other three. If they ask you should be able to say something other than "well yea I have an advisor but I didn't ask." its gotta be "my advisor doesn't write pre-med letters" (which is the case at my school for instance)

If your advisor did write you a letter you STILL need the other 3.

If you didn't get an advisor letter you need the other three. If they ask you should be able to say something other than "well yea I have an advisor but I didn't ask." its gotta be "my advisor doesn't write pre-med letters" (which is the case at my school for instance)

advisors literally dont exist at my school...theres no pre med committe, or anyone to talk to. Just the counselors for the school of biosci if you wanted...But they are not specfically pre med advisors, just general advisors for majors in biology. so is it fine just to say that and that I have no advisor? I already did but now im getting paranoid

advisors literally dont exist at my school...theres no pre med committe, or anyone to talk to. Just the counselors for the school of biosci if you wanted...But they are not specfically pre med advisors, just general advisors for majors in biology. so is it fine just to say that and that I have no advisor? I already did but now im getting paranoid

I'm sure thats fine.
I don't have a committee but there are pre-med advisors. They don't write rec letters though. And you rarely see the same bio advisor more than twice through all of school.
I highly doubt they're going to harass anyone who says they don't have an advisor letter, but I'd be prepared to explain that your lack of a letter isn't just laziness, just in case.

Oh good, then I won't waste the money on Loyola. My pre-med advisor was my science professor letter for the other 99% of schools with normal letter requirements, since I took a science class with her. Then I have a second sci letter from my O-Chem prof, and a non-science letter from a physician. At this point, schools that don't think those three are enough are getting the boot. :laugh:

I'm sure some school with reasonable letter requirements will take me... :p

I did :thumbup:

How much are you guys writing for each prompt? 25 lines for each seems pretty ridiculous.

For the "personal or academic problem" question, would it be appropriate to talk about transferring schools?

How much are you guys writing for each prompt? 25 lines for each seems pretty ridiculous.

I actually went over 25 lines according to their text box even though it's less than 25 in Word. But everything else was only 10-12 lines.

Status
Not open for further replies.