2009-2010 Medical College of Wisconsin Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh nice, congrats! Do you mind sharing when you were put in the pool?

I was small pooled on 9/21... seems like an age ago :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

Got an invite for a interview (for waitlist spot) last week. Declined it today. Hope it goes to one of you! Also - do they not interview very many people? I would assume that the normal interviews would provide enough for the waitlist as well as acceptances.

Got an invite for a interview (for waitlist spot) last week. Declined it today. Hope it goes to one of you! Also - do they not interview very many people? I would assume that the normal interviews would provide enough for the waitlist as well as acceptances.

I'm still in the small pool, dying to get out, oy. But I went to this little presentation/mock interview thing they had on campus just a couple weeks ago. Dean Istwan gave a big presentation, and they gave a student panel and a lot of nice info. They said that they get about 6500 applications, and small pool maybe half of them, based on the numbers, mostly. They filter out anyone with a 7 or below on any MCAT category, and sort of orange flag the 8's, but if you're small pooled, they think you've got what it takes to survive there. after that, they pick from reviews, leaving about 1500 apps they'd like to invite, but just can't, by the end of the season, when it's all said and done.

Take that for what it's worth, but the campus was super nice (minus the 45 minutes it took me to drive from the entrance to the school to the parking lot at 5:00 pm in a mini-blizzard, holy bajeebus!)

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got an invite to interview for the waitlist today, for what it's worth.

i think the waitlist will move. i only got 2 acceptances, MCW and Rush, and i am 99% set on Rush. I don't want to withdraw yet . . . since i only have two i am afraid to narrow it down to the one yet "just in case" for financial aid, etc. but very likely i'll withdraw my acceptance . . . so thats at least one person on the WL who will get in.

i think the waitlist will move. i only got 2 acceptances, MCW and Rush, and i am 99% set on Rush. I don't want to withdraw yet . . . since i only have two i am afraid to narrow it down to the one yet "just in case" for financial aid, etc. but very likely i'll withdraw my acceptance . . . so thats at least one person on the WL who will get in.
well, technically, if they over-accept, people withdrawing might not immediately affect the waitlist. but I'm pretty sure the waitlist will eventually start moving.

Mike Istwan stated that the waitlist moves every single year and there has been more than one instance in the past where people were accepted right up until the start of orientation. From the way he spoke, it made it seem like there is a significant amount of movement, but I'm sure that varies a bit from year to year.

well, technically, if they over-accept, people withdrawing might not immediately affect the waitlist. but I'm pretty sure the waitlist will eventually start moving.

oops i forgot about that. my bad :(

Interview invite today for the waitlist. Do you guys think its worth attending?

Herewego,
I also got an invite today but it didn't say anything about waitlist in the email and the office said nothing about it when I called. How does everyone know this is for the waitlist right now? It doesn't really matter though I'm going nonetheless. Without an acceptance in hand yet I need as many chances as I can get.

Herewego,
I also got an invite today but it didn't say anything about waitlist in the email and the office said nothing about it when I called. How does everyone know this is for the waitlist right now? It doesn't really matter though I'm going nonetheless. Without an acceptance in hand yet I need as many chances as I can get.

Well in my email, it says it in the last 2 sentences of the first paragraph.

"we are now interviewing only for placement on our wait list. Please know that we do rely on teh wait list to fill our class."

When I scheduled my interview at the office, she didn't say anything to me until I asked. I originally didn't see it in the email either.

Lemme know.

Well apparently I can't read. You're right it's definately there. Oh well, still going to go and make the best of it. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, well that's a good sign if they're still inviting people. Does anyone know if this is the last invite block they'll be having, or will they still have at least one more? I'd imagine that those invited today will be probably have theirs in April sometime? My fingers are crossed for the latter, because I've been small pooled forever, and I know it's only WL, but hey, it's a great school!

Interview invite today for the waitlist. Do you guys think its worth attending?

The rule is, if you don't have an acceptance, go to all interviews.

If you have an acceptance at u of illinois or u of colorado and you are out of state (ridiculous oos tuition), go to all interviews.

If there's even a chance you might decide to go to MCW if you get a positive impression during your visit, go to the MCW interview even if it's for a waitlist.

There's a fair amount of waitlist movement usually.

small pooled in early august. interview invite yesterday for a waitlist spot. I was wondering if it is hard to get put on the waitlist, or do most people who interview for a waitlist spot get put on the waitlist???

I think interviewing for a waitlist spot vs. interviewing for outright acceptance doesn't make a difference on how they "score" you on the interview. Although they might unconsciously be more selective on interviews...but that's just my guess.

anyone know when the last invitation will go out this year?

For those of you still waiting to hear, some of the grumblings around school are that there will possibly be one more round on interviews for seats, which will come after spring break, which would be the 26th. I am not 100% sure on this, but it is a rumor.

Also, MCW tends to be very stingy with its invites. The school will invite about 2X as many people as they plan to accept, and they will accept about 2X the class size. The classes are usually 200 (plus MD/PhD). So if you get an invite for interview, it still means that you have a solid chance. So if you don't have any other acceptances, there's no reason not to go.

Good Luck!

For those of you still waiting to hear, some of the grumblings around school are that there will possibly be one more round on interviews for seats, which will come after spring break, which would be the 26th. I am not 100% sure on this, but it is a rumor.

Also, MCW tends to be very stingy with its invites. The school will invite about 2X as many people as they plan to accept, and they will accept about 2X the class size. The classes are usually 200 (plus MD/PhD). So if you get an invite for interview, it still means that you have a solid chance. So if you don't have any other acceptances, there's no reason not to go.

Good Luck!

I've been small pooled since forever! 8/24 i believe. I really, really hope I make it into that last batch of interview invites! I keep asking Istwan about my chances but he won't give any indication. Just that if they decide to give me one, I'll receive an e-mail. Seriously? I could figure that out without him.

Withdrew my acceptance on Friday--hope someone gets my spot!

Do you guys think it's pretty safe to say that they covered up the small pool by now? Been in it since 8/18. 2 years in a row of being in that small pool :(

Do you guys think it's pretty safe to say that they covered up the small pool by now? Been in it since 8/18. 2 years in a row of being in that small pool :(

I'm sorry, that sucks :( I just interviewed on 3/26 and Mr. Istwan (the director of admissions) said that the last interview day for this application cycle will be on April 9th. So there's still a small possibility that someone could cancel and their spot would be offered to someone still in the small pool. But after April 9th, then everyone still in the small pool will be receiving the dreaded thin envelope via snail mail. I wish you the best of luck with your other apps :thumbup:

Anybody know when MCW releases their waitlist rankings?

They said at the interview last week they should release the waitlist rankings in the beginning of May. I think there'll be an email sent out saying what day you can call the Admissions office to find out.

Any 3/26 interviewees find out yet? I know they said they'd mail their decisions, but a few people over the year have gotten emails as well...

I'm sorry, that sucks :( I just interviewed on 3/26 and Mr. Istwan (the director of admissions) said that the last interview day for this application cycle will be on April 9th. So there's still a small possibility that someone could cancel and their spot would be offered to someone still in the small pool. But after April 9th, then everyone still in the small pool will be receiving the dreaded thin envelope via snail mail. I wish you the best of luck with your other apps :thumbup:

Thanks and good luck with this and your other schools. I think the worst part was the early small pool after being small pooled the previous year as well. I wont be reapplying again (YAY!) but it would have been nice to have a shot here as well. Can't win them all, right?

Anyone else interviewing on the 9th? I feel crazy lucky to get in on the last day. Hopefully I can get a waitlist spot that moves!

PLU2010 Anyone else interviewing on the 9th? I feel crazy lucky to get in on the last day. Hopefully I can get a waitlist spot that moves!

hey i think i saw you on the UW thread! I applied here and UW...but got waitlisted at UW at a pretty high number so it looks like I'm moving here. If you get in it'd be great to have fellow Pacific northwest company! Best of luck to you!

Woohoo! Just got my waitlist letter today after a 3/26 interview. It feels kind of wierd to be happy about a waitlist but since I knew this was the best I could get out of it, it's so nice I'm not rejected. Anybody else from that interview day here back? I can't be the only one.

Woohoo! Just got my waitlist letter today after a 3/26 interview. It feels kind of wierd to be happy about a waitlist but since I knew this was the best I could get out of it, it's so nice I'm not rejected. Anybody else from that interview day here back? I can't be the only one.

I haven't been home yet to get the mail, but that's awesome you got on the waitlist! Where do you live just so I can better guess whether or not my letter will be waiting for me at home?

I haven't been home yet to get the mail, but that's awesome you got on the waitlist! Where do you live just so I can better guess whether or not my letter will be waiting for me at home?

Madison, WI. It usually takes 2 days to get stuff from Milwaukee here so they're right on schedule.

Also received the letter, all the way here in CA, although there is something fishy about a supposed missing prereq :confused::confused::confused:

I got the letter too but can't open it since i'm out of town but does the letter say anything about when they will release the waitlist rankings?

Well, I really hope it's a waitlist letter...my understanding was that everyone will receive a letter but that some will be waitlist letters and some will be rejection letters :xf: for you that it's waitlist. But as for your question, Mr. Istwan said that the waitlist will be ranked in quarters...top quarter, 2nd quarter, 3rd quarter, bottom quarter. They will meet the Thurs after April 9th to decide the fate of the April 9th interviewees and then some time after that but in April they will put everyone in their quarter category. We will get a letter that tells us to call in to find out what quarter we have been placed in.

Withdrew today. Good luck to those still waiting. MCW is a great school.

I withdrew today also.

The irony is that I check my mail and they just rescinded the acceptance anyway because I failed to turn in my credit report (which I thought I mailed months ago). The bizarre thing is that I didn't get any correspondence as warning. Maybe I could have a made an appeal given the dates of the credit report?

My fault, undoubtedly, but serves as a lesson to those getting accepted. Another added weeder device to the careless, such as myself. Thank goodness it wasn't a more tragic scenario. Good luck to whoever gets my seat!! :luck:

Last edited:
At MCW, handheld devices are an integral part of clinical education and a valuable tool in the clinical setting. They provide quick access to reference materials at the point of care as well as a tool for tracking patient encounter experiences as students rotate through each clerkship. This process helps MCW meet the LCME accreditation standards. Therefore, it is a requirement for all third and fourth year.
This requirement has been in place for almost a decade, following a successful pilot program in the Family and Community Medicine Department in the late 90's. Handheld technology has seen a lot of changes since then. As of July 1, 2009, M3's are now on the cutting edge of handheld technology for learning and practicing medicine, having received a 16 gig iPod Touch in May of this year.
The Office of Educational Services manages the annual process of researching, approving, procuring, distributing, and training with regard to handheld technology for medical education.

anyone whose on the waitlist send a letter of interest yet? If so, how did you do it, and who did you send it to?

Anyone from the April 9th interview hear anything yet?

when can we call to find out our rank on their waitlist?

Made the waitlist! Interviewed April 9. Got my letter today here in Southern CA.

Made the waitlist! Interviewed April 9th. Ecstatic here in Washington State.

Placed onto the waitlist here in Wisconsin. i sure hope i get off, i really liked this school.

Does anyone know when the waitlist will be ranked?

waitlist rankings come out may 3rd (we can call and they will tell us atleast). hopefully i'm in the top quarter and get offered a spot in the class, i loved this school (easily my number one now) :xf:

anyone whose on the waitlist send a letter of interest yet? If so, how did you do it, and who did you send it to?

Your best bet is probably sending the email to Mr. Istwan. He is very easy to talk to, and is usually pretty good with replying to emails. If that fails, you can email the admissions office secretary and ask her to forward it to whomever needs it.

Good luck.

At MCW, handheld devices are an integral part of clinical education and a valuable tool in the clinical setting. They provide quick access to reference materials at the point of care as well as a tool for tracking patient encounter experiences as students rotate through each clerkship. This process helps MCW meet the LCME accreditation standards. Therefore, it is a requirement for all third and fourth year.
This requirement has been in place for almost a decade, following a successful pilot program in the Family and Community Medicine Department in the late 90's. Handheld technology has seen a lot of changes since then. As of July 1, 2009, M3's are now on the cutting edge of handheld technology for learning and practicing medicine, having received a 16 gig iPod Touch in May of this year.
The Office of Educational Services manages the annual process of researching, approving, procuring, distributing, and training with regard to handheld technology for medical education.

Maybe for the games you can download, and because they require so many things to be done solely on whatever you're given (for us Palm Tungsten TX).

I haven't used my PDA since I was an M4 -- there are computers all over the place which are much easier to use in the hospital.

Maybe for the games you can download, and because they require so many things to be done solely on whatever you're given (for us Palm Tungsten TX).

I haven't used my PDA since I was an M4 -- there are computers all over the place which are much easier to use in the hospital.

iphone games are great if you are an anesthesiologist :laugh:

iphone games are great if you are an anesthesiologist :laugh:

I'm anti-apple. I love my blackberry and dell computers. I think I'm the only person in my family who doesn't own anything made by apple... even my mom had or has some sort of apple lap top.

I have loved XP for many years, and I'm hanging onto my computers until they die. Then I won't be too disappointed to get Windows 7, and I'll upgrade my blackberry when it dies. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.