2009-2010 Medical College of Wisconsin Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone else nervous for Monday?

Did you go out downtown after the social by any chance?

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah went to a little dive bar which was a lot of fun. My host's girlfriend was one of the bartenders there. Were you there as well?

Yeah went to a little dive bar which was a lot of fun. My host's girlfriend was one of the bartenders there. Were you there as well?

Yup, was there. Glad to hear that you made the waitlist! Good luck man!

Members don't see this ad :)
1st Quartile! Now the waitlist just needs to start moving.

top quartile, hopefully some good waitlist movement, :xf:

Bottom half. Poo. I might just withdraw.

Second quartile... =/
If I recall correctly, was it 1st quartile - 25 people, 2nd quartile - 25 people, and bottom half is 50 people? (I'm guessing that's why they call it "quartile" lol... but I just wanted to make sure). Thanks!

When I called to ask today, I asked how many were on the waitlist. She asked me if I was in-state, or out of state (I'm OOS, but it's not a state school so I don't really see why that's relevant) and she said that there were about 175 people "in my group." So...I took that to mean that there is an in state and an out of state waitlist, and there are about 175 people in the out of state one. I could be wrong, but that's what it sounded like.

She also said that they have gone all the way into the bottom half in the past, so 2nd 1/4ile and bottom half doesn't mean you're totally out.

When I called this morning and asked how many people were on the waitlist the woman said 220 and didn't differentiate into groups.

When I called this morning and asked how many people were on the waitlist the woman said 220 and didn't differentiate into groups.

Okay, so a bit of very rough math makes it seem like 55 people are in the top quartile, 55 people are in the second quartile, and 110 people are in the bottom half. Again, this is very rough math based on extremely limited and unconfirmed information, but it's nice to have a general idea of the numbers we're possibly dealing with.

doc of life and plu are you instate or out of state??

i called to double check and the nice lady i talked to said there was seperate in-state and out of state waitlists and there was about 50 kids on the in-state waitlist (i'm in top quartile there). she also said there was about 200 kids on the waitlists, so perhaps only around 150-170 on out of state list (just speculation).

Members don't see this ad :)
I wonder how fast the movement is. I'd assume people would have at least a rough idea of where they are heading by now.

doc of life and plu are you instate or out of state??

I'm OOS.

i called to double check and the nice lady i talked to said there was seperate in-state and out of state waitlists and there was about 50 kids on the in-state waitlist (i'm in top quartile there). she also said there was about 200 kids on the waitlists, so perhaps only around 150-170 on out of state list (just speculation).

That's why I qualified my rough calculation with endless disclaimers, because we're really working on an extremely limited amount of information. Only the people on the inside know what the real numbers are. And that's probably as it should be. It's important for us to have a general sense of where we stand, but if they gave us too much specific information it would probably just make things more stressful for both them and us alike.

When I called to ask today, I asked how many were on the waitlist. She asked me if I was in-state, or out of state (I'm OOS, but it's not a state school so I don't really see why that's relevant) and she said that there were about 175 people "in my group." So...I took that to mean that there is an in state and an out of state waitlist, and there are about 175 people in the out of state one. I could be wrong, but that's what it sounded like.

She also said that they have gone all the way into the bottom half in the past, so 2nd 1/4ile and bottom half doesn't mean you're totally out.

It's relevant because MCW receives funding from the state. I know, it seems lame for those of us who are OOS. (The IS people also get a small tuition break.)

MEDICAL COLLEGE OF WISCONSIN CAPITATION
Available only at the Medical College of Wisconsin

The Medical College of Wisconsin Capitation Program provides tuition assistance to a finite number of Wisconsin residents enrolled full-time in the Doctor of Medicine (M.D.) program at the Medical College of Wisconsin.
Application: None
Required Enrollment: Full-time in the M.D. program at the Medical College of Wisconsin
State Statute: 39.155
Contact Person: Cassie Weisensel

So much for free-standing private medical school :luck:

Has anyone heard anything about financial aid? I submitted my forms a few months ago but still haven't received an award letter.

I think I remember from reading last year's thread that we won't actually get an award letter until after May 15th sometime, but that they tell you before then if you've gotten a scholarship. Maybe I misunderstood, because I would also really like to have an award letter in-hand before choosing a school...

This is not surprising because MCW only accepts 2x the class size and waitlists 1x the class size. Because of this, the waitlist can (but not necessarily will) move a lot.

well let's hope for good waitlist movement this year :xf:

For those of you who were accepted here but withdrew, did you get your $100 doposit back?
Also, what do you have to do to witdraw from here? Do you email the office of admissions? Or do you have to physically write a letter and mail it in?
Thanks, guys.

For those of you who were accepted here but withdrew, did you get your $100 doposit back?
Also, what do you have to do to witdraw from here? Do you email the office of admissions? Or do you have to physically write a letter and mail it in?
Thanks, guys.

I didn't withdraw myself, but know several friends of mine who did. I didn't ask them about the deposit refund, but I'm sure you could just call the admissions office and they would tell you. For withdrawing, you could do either but my friends just e-mailed the director of admissions, Mike Istwan. You could also ask about the deposit in that e-mail. He's really nice and fast via e-mail so I'm sure he would let you know whether it could be refunded and how to go about doing that. Good luck!

Woohoo! Just committed to going here next year!

just got accepted off the waitlist...IS I'm really not sure what I am going to do, but there seems to be movement at least!

accepted off of waitlist today as well (in-state). I'm excited to be attending MCW in the fall

Congratulations to those accepted this morning!
Quick question: Did both IS and OOS waitlisters receive the email this morning about probably not hearing until tomorrow? Or was that just OOS that got that email? Just curious.

Congratulations to those accepted this morning!
Quick question: Did both IS and OOS waitlisters receive the email this morning about probably not hearing until tomorrow? Or was that just OOS that got that email? Just curious.

I'm IS and I got it too so I'm assuming everyone on the waitlist did.

i received the email this morning too. about 2 hours later Michael called offering a position.

Fellow waitlisters,
I just called the office of admissions and asked about movement. They said that they had only offered 1-2 spots (Congrats to those yesterday!) and said that they were giving students holding multiple acceptances until Wednesday to make their final decisions. It's kind of weird that they keep pushing this deadline back but it is what it is. They told me to call back thursday to find out more about movement. Good luck to you all.

Fellow waitlisters,
I just called the office of admissions and asked about movement. They said that they had only offered 1-2 spots (Congrats to those yesterday!) and said that they were giving students holding multiple acceptances until Wednesday to make their final decisions. It's kind of weird that they keep pushing this deadline back but it is what it is. They told me to call back thursday to find out more about movement. Good luck to you all.

Thank you! i thought more offers were sure to come today or yesterday as well but looks like you might have to wait till thursday :xf:. hang in there and good luck to the rest of the waitlisters out there :)

Definately coming to MCW. I have another acceptance in hand but I'm going to wait to release it until after I get the packet from MCW.

Just got the acceptance call! OOS

Congrats!

On a side note. I'm an OOSer from CA. What do current students (or anyone knowledgeable) recommend I go about renting an apartment close to school?

I've looked at the resources online at the MCW website and I was also wondering if anyone used the roommate registry before to find a roommate?

Thanks

Congrats!

On a side note. I'm an OOSer from CA. What do current students (or anyone knowledgeable) recommend I go about renting an apartment close to school?

I've looked at the resources online at the MCW website and I was also wondering if anyone used the roommate registry before to find a roommate?

Thanks

Some of my classmates found their rooommates through facebook. There is a class of 2014 group there so maybe you can take a look at that. There is a roommate registry at school, but I don't know how often it's actually used.

Some apartment complexes my classmates live at are The Reserve, Tosa Village Apts, Wilshire Manor, Underwood Station, Dolphin Square, and a couple that I don't know the names too (don't even know if they have actual names).

Other people live in duplexes and houses around the school. For these, it's best to come and set up appointments here in person.

Being from CA myself, I know it's not an expense you want to deal with and would much rather be able to figure things out from CA. I was lucky in that I know an upperclassmen and he forwarded the ad for my current place. I just had the people take pictures of the room I would be in, and basically determined to live here based on that. Made sure of some things that were important to me (noise level, cost, non-smoking, etc.) Turns out, my roommates are awesome people, so I guess I got lucky in that sense.

One thing you could try is find a roommate and then pretty much let him/her decide where to live. It's more work for them, but if they are willing, why not? Unless you want to be more involved in the decision process. Then I would actually come to Milwaukee and survey the area yourself.

Anyway, those are some things I think may get you started. Facebook group for 2014 is probably a good place to start.

Some of my classmates found their rooommates through facebook. There is a class of 2014 group there so maybe you can take a look at that. There is a roommate registry at school, but I don't know how often it's actually used.

Some apartment complexes my classmates live at are The Reserve, Tosa Village Apts, Wilshire Manor, Underwood Station, Dolphin Square, and a couple that I don't know the names too (don't even know if they have actual names).

Other people live in duplexes and houses around the school. For these, it's best to come and set up appointments here in person.

Being from CA myself, I know it's not an expense you want to deal with and would much rather be able to figure things out from CA. I was lucky in that I know an upperclassmen and he forwarded the ad for my current place. I just had the people take pictures of the room I would be in, and basically determined to live here based on that. Made sure of some things that were important to me (noise level, cost, non-smoking, etc.) Turns out, my roommates are awesome people, so I guess I got lucky in that sense.

One thing you could try is find a roommate and then pretty much let him/her decide where to live. It's more work for them, but if they are willing, why not? Unless you want to be more involved in the decision process. Then I would actually come to Milwaukee and survey the area yourself.

Anyway, those are some things I think may get you started. Facebook group for 2014 is probably a good place to start.

Wonderful, thanks.

I got in from the waitlist this morning! :love:

I'm out of state and was in the first quartile. It's my first acceptance (and second year of applying!), so it definitely feels good! Not to mention the bottle of champagne one of my coworkers went out to get after I got the call. Getting through the rest of the day is going to be hard with that thing calling my name!

Good luck to those still waiting, even if it's slow, the list is moving. :thumbup:

I got in from the waitlist this morning! :love:

I'm out of state and was in the first quartile. It's my first acceptance (and second year of applying!), so it definitely feels good! Not to mention the bottle of champagne one of my coworkers went out to get after I got the call. Getting through the rest of the day is going to be hard with that thing calling my name!

Good luck to those still waiting, even if it's slow, the list is moving. :thumbup:

Congrats! I got accepted from the waitlist this morning as well. I am out of state and was in the first quartile too.

Not positive if I will be attending, but I am definitely going to strongly consider it!

Good luck to those still waiting. :luck:

Status
Not open for further replies.