2009-2010 Medical College of Wisconsin Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I got in from the waitlist this morning! :love:

I'm out of state and was in the first quartile. It's my first acceptance (and second year of applying!), so it definitely feels good! Not to mention the bottle of champagne one of my coworkers went out to get after I got the call. Getting through the rest of the day is going to be hard with that thing calling my name!

Good luck to those still waiting, even if it's slow, the list is moving. :thumbup:

Congrats to both of you, but super congrats to you and welcome to MCW!

Members don't see this ad.

What's milwaukee like? It seemed nice when I visited, but I of course only got a small glimpse of what it's really like around there. Can anyone tell me what's nice / fun / cool /exciting / relaxing / unusual / whatever about the areas around MCW? If you're already familiar with MCW, tell me where do med students go for fun or go to party or relax after tests and in downtime?

Members don't see this ad :)
Withdrew from my spot today, good luck to those still waiting

I'm in the northeast. Got financial aid today. All loans (and actually the loans didn't cover the entire COA, which is is weird because my other schools covered everything... hence the withdrawal).

I'm in the northeast. Got financial aid today. All loans (and actually the loans didn't cover the entire COA, which is is weird because my other schools covered everything... hence the withdrawal).

So I assume they are sending the financial aid by mail? I'm in CA and still no package.

The loans should cover everything in the COA except what you put down as your contribution and your parents contribution. If not, then there was a mistake in the forms. I don't know if it's too late for you to call the office about that or not. Sorry to hear you're not coming to MCW.

Can a med student from MCW give us some info and advice on the school please? Here are just some of the questions I've been thinking about.

1) Is MCW worth an extra $20,000 per year over a good state school? (mine is SUNY Upstate)

2) How friendly and close are classmates with each other? For instance do you all often hang out at least regularly at least a little bit after classes? Do groups ever go out to a bar (or wherever) and celebrate after a test? Are there any clubs or activities that people arrange and actually attend on a regular basis?

3) How good are the rotation options?

4) How much fun / relaxing / cool / enjoyable stuff is there to do in the local area?

5) Are any classes mandatory attendance? Which labs are mandatory attendance and which are not?

6) How much / how well does MCW prep you for the board (usmle?) tests?

7) What is the housing situation like? For instance how much do apartments cost? Are good apartments easy to get? Are all the students living in the same very small area, or are they dispersed?

8) I assume a car is absolutely necessary, so what's the parking situation like? Do I need to rent a parking space, or would I be fine just parking on the streets? Is traffic ever a problem?

9) How 24 hour friendly is the school? Like is the library open 24 hours? What about the gym? Is the local area late-night friendly? For instance are there restaurants open late?

10) Are *video* recordings available for *all* classes and labs?

11) Please tell me all the pros and cons that you can think of for going to MCW. And please tell me any other ideas / suggestions / points to consider / whatever that you can tells us about MCW.

I'm looking forward to hearing some honest answers from you MCW students. Help clue me in.

Last edited:
Can a med student from MCW give us some info and advice on the school please? Here are just some of the questions I've been thinking about.

1) Is MCW worth an extra $20,000 per year over a good state school? (mine is SUNY Upstate)

2) How friendly and close are classmates with each other? For instance do you all often hang out at least regularly at least a little bit after classes? Do groups ever go out to a bar (or wherever) and celebrate after a test? Are there any clubs or activities that people arrange and actually attend on a regular basis?

4) How much fun / relaxing / cool / enjoyable stuff is there to do in the local area?

5) Are any classes mandatory attendance? Which labs are mandatory attendance and which are not?

7) What is the housing situation like? For instance how much do apartments cost? Are good apartments easy to get? Are all the students living in the same very small area, or are they dispersed?

8) I assume a car is absolutely necessary, so what's the parking situation like? Do I need to rent a parking space, or would I be fine just parking on the streets? Is traffic ever a problem?

9) How 24 hour friendly is the school? Like is the library open 24 hours? What about the gym? Is the local area late-night friendly? For instance are there restaurants open late?

11) Please tell me all the pros and cons that you can think of for going to MCW. And please tell me any other ideas / suggestions / points to consider / whatever that you can tells us about MCW.

I'm looking forward to hearing some honest answers from you MCW students. Help clue me in.

1)Never been to SUNY Upstate and don't know about that school so can't say too much. Saving 20k would be a deal for me. I'm in the camp that thinks most schools are the same so money saved would be a done deal for me. Although, from what I hear the clinical education here at MCW is well recognized.

2)Social atmosphere is as good as you want it to be. The people in general are very nice and friendly. I really like my class. I think 2013 is cooler than 2012, no offense to 2012, lol.

3)Not there yet, I have no idea.

4)Enough to keep people busy.

5)Some classes have certain lectures that are mandatory, but in general, lectures are optional. Same rules apply to labs, most labs are optional.

6)I heard the class of 2011 did slightly better than the national average.

7)There are certain clumps that people live in. It's not gonna be like dorms where everyone is in one spot. Housing is nice and cheap. I'm from California so to me, anything here is a deal. It also depends on if you plan to live with roommates or not. Living alone will probably cost you around $800-$900 utilities included. Having roommates will bring that down to about $500-$600

8)Free parking in a lot about 3-5 mins away from school. Just need your student ID to get in. It can get trafficy around school during the hours of 5PM-6PM

9)The library is not 24 hours, but the school is. There are study rooms and other places to study if you want. The gym is 24 hours.

10)Audio of the lectures are posted daily. Don't have video.

11)It's hard to say what is good and what is bad about a school because usually most people only experience one school. I like the friendly atmosphere a lot at MCW. No crazy drama that I am aware of within my class. Maybe I'm just out of the loop, lol.

Good luck with your decision. 20k/year is a lot. Unless you absolutely hated SUNY Upstate and can't see yourself at that school, I would probably go there. MCW is an excellent school, but I don't think it (as well as many other schools) is worth the extra money.

PS: sorry if i don't make sense. I'm typing while watching the France vs Uruguay game. I did my best though, lol

So I've been in the first quartile at MCW since early june and I've been wondering if I still have a shot here... Has anyone called the admissions office lately to find out the current waitlist movement/ situation? Or is it getting really too late in the application cycle to still be hopeful for a spot here? I'm out of State by the way....

Do most people at MCW use iPhones or Android-based phones? (I'm about to buy my first smartphone and I wanna be in the same tech ecosystem as most of my classmates.)

How long does it take to officially become a Wisconsin state resident in order to get the lower in-state tuition? And how hard is the process?

Last edited:
So I've been in the first quartile at MCW since early june and I've been wondering if I still have a shot here... Has anyone called the admissions office lately to find out the current waitlist movement/ situation? Or is it getting really too late in the application cycle to still be hopeful for a spot here? I'm out of State by the way....

I'd imagine the class is almost full, and they are just cycling through just a handful of offers, catching a bite once in a while and then recasting the lines every week with the ones that don't bite. So if they casted 10 lines on May 19, and got 3 takers, then the following week they cast 7 new ones, moving down the list until all the lines are depleted. This is in light of the fact that people on the waitlist get about a week to decide, and that movement is fairly slow but ongoing. Kind of sucks they play this game though, putting probably 10x the amount of people on the waitlist than they really need to.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do most people at MCW use iPhones or Android-based phones? (I'm about to buy my first smartphone and I wanna be in the same tech ecosystem as most of my classmates.)

How long does it take to officially become a Wisconsin state resident in order to get the lower in-state tuition? And how hard is the process?

They give ypu itouches now.

As for becoming a WI resident for tuition, you can't unless you applied as one.

They give [you] itouches now.

Woah, seriously? That's awesome! And it definitely answers my question about which is the more common mobile OS there.

As for becoming a WI resident for tuition, you can't unless you applied as one.

Well, I'm currently a NY resident, so I presumed (maybe falsely?) that I would be able to declare myself as a WI resident with an official WI mailing address for a certain amount of time, and then I'd be able to get in-state tuition at some point later. I know that that's how they do it at some other states I looked into. At each state I looked into there's a varying amount of time you need to live there before you will officially be considered a resident of that state for tuition pricing purposes. These spans of time seem to be quite different from state to state, ranging anywhere from just a few months all the way up to a few years. (iirc)

But are you saying that if you applied to MCW as an OOS applicant initially, then MCW will *NEVER* allow you to pay the in-state tuition price? Even if you've legally been declared as a WI state resident for a couple of years? Seriously? Are you certain?

Woah, seriously? That's awesome! And it definitely answers my question about which is the more common mobile OS there.

Well, I'm currently a NY resident, so I presumed (maybe falsely?) that I would be able to declare myself as a WI resident with an official WI mailing address for a certain amount of time, and then I'd be able to get in-state tuition at some point later. I know that that's how they do it at some other states I looked into. At each state I looked into there's a varying amount of time you need to live there before you will officially be considered a resident of that state for tuition pricing purposes. These spans of time seem to be quite different from state to state, ranging anywhere from just a few months all ...

But are you saying that if you applied to MCW as an OOS applicant initially, then MCW will *NEVER* allow you to pay the in-state tuition price? Even if you've legally been declared as a WI state resident for a couple of years? Seriously? Are you certain?

Ok, got bored of deleting that middle part. Yes, you presumed falsely. I had friends get married to WI residents, declare reidency before starting school, etc, and they DO NOT let you declare yourself a resident for tuition unless you applied. I know this as an former OOSer and former med school applicant. I took into account which states would allow you to declare residency for tuition. MCW is not a state school.

Apple sucks. I <3 blackberry. I am glad I was in the group the got a palm tx for our pda before they gave out itouches.

1) Are you certain that it is 20,000? That would make SUNY upstate right around 34,000 total (including cost of living). Not knowing the SUNY well enough, I'd say 20,000 is a pretty good incentive to go to a school.

2) The class of 2013 is pretty close. We do hang out after school, and there are always celebrations after test week. People do attend the parties, so they are usually a lot of fun. As medking said, 2013 might not be the norm, especially compared to 2012 :p

3) Haven't gone through rotations, but from what I have heard, what MCW lacks in pre-clinical prowess, they are ahead of the curve when it comes to rotations. Some of the best hospitals in the country are here (Children's for example). Our VA system is well coordinated as well.

4) I would say the local area is what is lacking for MCW. The area directly surrounding the school is pretty rustic/suburban. There isn't too much to do directly around the school, but there is a good sized mall, restaurants, bars, etc. If you want to look around Milwaukee, there are lots of things to do. The Brewers games are always fun (our class tailgated/went to a game right after finals), the art museum is pretty cool and the zoo is decent (haven't been yet).

5) There are very few mandatory classes. 3 guest lectures and 3-4 small groups in biochem, your interviewing course (6 days), your human behavior course (6 days) and evidence based medicine small group (6 days). Everything else is optional. All labs (except anatomy) are done through a computer system that can be accessed from anywhere off-campus. Anatomy lab is not mandatory, but highly recommended.

6) Not taking step 1 for a year, so I can't really comment on this. I do know that there are small and large group tutoring sessions. Hopefully someone further on in the school can answer this one better.

7) Housing is very good around the school. There are apartment complexes within 3-4 miles of the school where most people live. There are definitely clusters where more students live, but in general people are close enough to school and each other that it doesn't really matter. As for cost, you can get a 1BR apartment for about 500 not including electric. Generally, you will probably spend about 700-800 per month for a 1BR apartment after paying all utilities. If you get a 2BR, you can find apartments at about 600 per month.

8) A car is by no means a necessity. There are people who walk to school every day, even in the winter (some apartments are as close as 5 minutes walking). If you do have a car, almost every apartment will come with a parking spot, because you can't park on the street after 3 am. So don't worry about that. Traffic is only a problem if you are traveling by highway (lots of construction). There is a little increase in local traffic around 4-5 pm, but nothing too bad.

9) The library is not 24 hours (although i wish it was at least for test week). However, the study rooms are 24 hours as is the anatomy lab and computer lab. The gym is 24 hours. The surrounding area is not super late-night friendly, but most restaurants are open till 8 or later, starbucks is open till 1 and the bars are usually open till 12.

10) The lectures are not video recorded, but every lecture is audio recorded. There are rumblings that they are trying to get video set up, but the teachers don't want to do it because they would have to change their entire syllabus to remove everything that might possibly be considered copywritten. All audio is available on itunes, so you can download it to your ipod and listen wherever. Labs are not recorded because these are done on your own (hence why all labs are on computer and available 24/7 off-campus). There are times set up for lab when professors are around to answer questions if you want to attend those instead of doing them on your own.

11) I think that I've covered most of the major pros/cons in this post already. The one thing that I would consider is that after the class of 2014, MCW is planning on changing it's curriculum to be more PBL in an attempt to remove lectures from the curriculum. Your class will not feel the full effects of this program, except for the Pathways program (see the Class of 2014 thread in the Allo forums for more info.)

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
1) Are you certain that it is 20,000? That would make SUNY upstate right around 34,000 total (including cost of living). Not knowing the SUNY well enough, I'd say 20,000 is a pretty good incentive to go to a school.

According to the MSAR book (2009-10 ed.), tuition for MCW OOS is $38,055, and in-state tuition for SUNY Upstate is $19,956 = a difference of $18,099.

The total costs including living expenses and health insurance is MCW = $52,410 and SUNY = $37,996, a difference of $14,414.

Okay, I guess it's not quite a $20,000 difference, it's actually a $14,500 difference per year. Times 4 years it's a total $57,656 difference before interest, and figure it'll wind up compounding interest of about 20% overall by the time it's paid off, which becomes about $70,000 difference in total attendance cost.

If I wind up earning a post-residency starting salary of $140,000 per year, then $70,000 is just a half year's salary. I think I'd definitely be willing to give up a half year's starting salary to spend 4 rough years of medical school at a place where I feel happier and more comfortable.

So, if my numbers, info, and calculations are correct, then I think the money shouldn't enter into my decision.

2) The class of 2013 is pretty close. We do hang out after school, and there are always celebrations after test week. People do attend the parties, so they are usually a lot of fun. As medking said, 2013 might not be the norm, especially compared to 2012 :p

Is that a class-rivalry joke, or do you really feel like the class above yours is significantly less friendly and fun? And the class of 2014 will be even MORE fun friendly and cool than the class of 2013! =p ;)

3) Haven't gone through rotations, but from what I have heard, what MCW lacks in pre-clinical prowess, they are less ahead of the curve when it comes to rotations. Some of the best hospitals in the country are here (Children's for example). Our VA system is well coordinated as well.

I'm a little confused by your answer here. Did you mean to say *more* ahead of the curve? And are you saying that the MCW education in years 1 and 2 is just meh? Maybe even below average compared to other schools? But that the rotation options are above average? Please clarify your thoughts on this topic, because this is one of the most important parts of a med school.

4) I would say the local area is what is lacking for MCW. The area directly surrounding the school is pretty rustic/suburban. There isn't too much to do directly around the school, but there is a good sized mall, restaurants, bars, etc. If you want to look around Milwaukee, there are lots of things to do. The Brewers games are always fun (our class tailgated/went to a game right after finals), the art museum is pretty cool and the zoo is decent (haven't been yet).

Even though I'm a New Yorker, I actually prefer areas that have more nature spaces with lots of trees and stuff. But I HATE actual suburbia type places where there's lots of cloned cookie-cutter houses with lawns and streets running everywhere, but no real un-manicured open green spaces. So would you say that the surrounding area is more open and rural, or more subdivided and suburban?

9) The library is not 24 hours (although i wish it was at least for test week). However, the study rooms are 24 hours as is the anatomy lab and computer lab. The gym is 24 hours. The surrounding area is not super late-night friendly, but most restaurants are open till 8 or later, starbucks is open till 1 and the bars are usually open till 12.

Huh, that's kind of a drag for me, because I very much tend to be a night owl. (just look at the time I posted this message!) How helpful / crucial are the materials that are only available in the library?

10) The lectures are not video recorded, but every lecture is audio recorded. There are rumblings that they are trying to get video set up, but the teachers don't want to do it because they would have to change their entire syllabus to remove everything that might possibly be considered copywritten.

Lame. Totally lame. One of the aspects that I find really attractive about MCW is how modern and high-tech it seems to be. For MCW to only have audio recordings seems almost anachronistic. Oh well, I guess it's not really a make or break item. But it certainly is an issue that's important to me because I don't expect to attend too many classes (it's just not an efficient method of learning for me personally). Hmmm.

There are times set up for lab when professors are around to answer questions if you want to attend those instead of doing them on your own.

But this sounds pretty good though.

11)... The one thing that I would consider is that after the class of 2014, MCW is planning on changing it's curriculum to be more PBL in an attempt to remove lectures from the curriculum. Your class will not feel the full effects of this program, except for the Pathways program (see the Class of 2014 thread in the Allo forums for more info.)

Hmm, a curriculum in the middle of a transition. That's certainly not ideal, but it has the *potential* to be an overall positive instead of an overall negative.

Hope this helps.

It absolutely did. Thank you so much for your input!

Last edited:
1)Never been to SUNY Upstate and don't know about that school so can't say too much. Saving 20k would be a deal for me. I'm in the camp that thinks most schools are the same so money saved would be a done deal for me. Although, from what I hear the clinical education here at MCW is well recognized.

Thanks for the input. I looked closer and saw that it's actually a $14,500 difference. In my response (above) I've thought about it and decided that money shouldn't really enter into my decision.

2)Social atmosphere is as good as you want it to be. The people in general are very nice and friendly. I really like my class. I think 2013 is cooler than 2012, no offense to 2012, lol.

You're the second person to say that here. Do you think that your class is the anomaly, or the other class? In what ways is 2012 less cool?

11)... I like the friendly atmosphere a lot at MCW. No crazy drama that I am aware of within my class. Maybe I'm just out of the loop, lol.

Wow, friendly and no-drama. Those are like magical keywords for me. I would choose a school with a quarter of the reputation and a quarter of the facilities if it meant that the people were much friendlier and much freer of drama. Awesome to hear.

20k/year is a lot. Unless you absolutely hated SUNY Upstate and can't see yourself at that school, I would probably go there. MCW is an excellent school, but I don't think it (as well as many other schools) is worth the extra money.

Thanks for telling me your point of view. I've considered what you (and other people) have said on this topic, and I've thought it over, but in this case I'm going to trust my instincts. I'm probably being overly cautious, but I want to maximize my chances of actually graduating from med school, and maximize my chances of doing it in 4 years, and maximize my chance of doing well, enjoying the experience as much as possible, and not burning out on the whole medical field before I even get my M.D. license. So when the stakes are this high, I feel like it's better to be overly cautious by throwing as many resources at it as possible in order to maximize my chances of achieving my goals. (And hey, being overly cautious is probably a good trait for a doctor to have, right? ;)

Thanks so much for your input. I really appreciate it. If you (or anyone else) have anything additional you think might be interesting for us to know, please share your thoughts!

Is that a class-rivalry joke, or do you really feel like the class above yours is significantly less friendly and fun? And the class of 2014 will be even MORE fun friendly and cool than the class of 2013! =p ;)

Ya, it's a little bit of class rivalry. I'm sure 2012 is just as close as 2013, they just have a different way of showing it. I wouldn't worry too much about this, because you will definitely find your own group to run with, even if the class as a whole isn't all that close.

I'm a little confused by your answer here. Did you mean to say *more* ahead of the curve? And are you saying that the MCW education in years 1 and 2 is just meh? Maybe even below average compared to other schools? But that the rotation options are above average? Please clarify your thoughts on this topic, because this is one of the most important parts of a med school.

Sorry, you're right. I meant that they are ahead of the curve. Fixed it in my other post. Rotations are supposed to be the best part of MCW, while pre-clinical is average.

Even though I'm a New Yorker, I actually prefer areas that have more nature spaces with lots of trees and stuff. But I HATE actual suburbia type places where there's lots of cloned cookie-cutter houses with lawns and streets running everywhere, but no real un-manicured open green spaces. So would you say that the surrounding area is more open and rural, or more subdivided and suburban?

Depending on where you choose to live, you can choose the surrounding area. If you live right next to school, it is more suburban. If you live closer to the mall or downtown Tosa, then there are more shops, bars, restaurants, etc. There are parks all over the place, including spaces near school where people play frisbee, football, etc.

Huh, that's kind of a drag for me, because I very much tend to be a night owl. (just look at the time I posted this message!) How helpful / crucial are the materials that are only available in the library?

The library itself is NOT that crucial. I didn't really utilize it that much. There are only 4 extra study room in the library (along with lots and lots of tables for quiet study). During the first two years, you probably won't be checking out too many books or articles from the library. The computer lab across from the library is 24/7 and it has all sorts of cool programs for phys and neuro. I spent many long nights at MCW in the nerd rooms and classrooms. Personally I have never spent the entire night at the school, but I know some people who do.

For study space, there are about 20 small rooms that people use, plus two massive classrooms that can each be broken into 5-6 smaller rooms using sliding panels. The panels are made of white board, so you have nearly limitless space on which to study if you choose to use it.

Lame. Totally lame. One of the aspects that I find really attractive about MCW is how modern and high-tech it seems to be. For MCW to only have audio recordings seems almost anachronistic. Oh well, I guess it's not really a make or break item. But it certainly is an issue that's important to me because I don't expect to attend too many classes (it's just not an efficient method of learning for me personally). Hmmm.

A lot of people in 2013 do not attend class (and from what I've seen, neither does 2012). People figure out a way around not having the video. Along with the audio, the school will give you a print out of about 99% lectures (One teacher doesn't like giving in his notes, but his 2 lectures this year were very easy anyway). Sometimes these are full out notes, sometimes blown up power points, sometimes outlines. On top of this, all powerpoint slides used in class are posted online through the ANGEL website. All of these notes plus the audio is all you really need to study the material.

If you are really desperate for more information, the audio from the previous year will also be on ANGEL if you want to use them.

Hmm, a curriculum in the middle of a transition. That's certainly not ideal, but it has the *potential* to be an overall positive instead of an overall negative.

Yes, the curriculum started changing this year. Your class is supposed to be the last one to go through the current curriculum. Major changes for next year will be increased emphasis on the Pathways program, and a more PBL style for respiratory phys.

Just got back from vegas, thus the delay in response.

You're the second person to say that here. Do you think that your class is the anomaly, or the other class? In what ways is 2012 less cool?

I don't know how to explain it. Don't even know if it can be explained. It's just the vibe. I just really like the vibe that I get from our class. People feel more down to earth. You're class could very much be different. BUT, generally speaking, most of the people that I have met at MCW are cool so I wouldn't worry. I hope you like your class and the people at MCW and make awesome friendships.

Thanks for telling me your point of view. I've considered what you (and other people) have said on this topic, and I've thought it over, but in this case I'm going to trust my instincts. I'm probably being overly cautious, but I want to maximize my chances of actually graduating from med school, and maximize my chances of doing it in 4 years, and maximize my chance of doing well, enjoying the experience as much as possible, and not burning out on the whole medical field before I even get my M.D. license. So when the stakes are this high, I feel like it's better to be overly cautious by throwing as many resources at it as possible in order to maximize my chances of achieving my goals. (And hey, being overly cautious is probably a good trait for a doctor to have, right? ;)

You're very welcome. It seems like you really like MCW over SUNY Upstate. If you think you will be happier at MCW and REALLY don't mind the extra cost, then MCW is most likely a good fit for you.

Disclaimer: Individual experiences may vary (LOL)

It seems like you really like MCW over SUNY Upstate. If you think you will be happier at MCW and REALLY don't mind the extra cost, then MCW is most likely a good fit for you.

Thanks, yeah, I'm now fairly confident that MCW is the better choice. There's no way to ever know for certain, because you can only ever walk down one road in life at each moment in time, but based on the information I have to judge from, MCW seems like the much better choice. SUNY Upstate is a good school, I don't want to sound like I'm bashing it at all, but when compared to MCW there were some major aspects of Upstate that are comparatively lackluster. For instance the location is dismal, Syracuse NY has a very lonely feeling to it. The administrative staff there have good intentions and try to be helpful, but it seems like the whole school is an uncoordinated poorly oiled machine. Anyway, I won't go into too many details because that's off topic here. The bottom line is that MCW seems like the right choice for me. - I'll see you all in August! :)

Thanks, yeah, I'm now fairly confident that MCW is the better choice. There's no way to ever know for certain, because you can only ever walk down one road in life at each moment in time, but based on the information I have to judge from, MCW seems like the much better choice. SUNY Upstate is a good school, I don't want to sound like I'm bashing it at all, but when compared to MCW there were some major aspects of Upstate that are comparatively lackluster. For instance the location is dismal, Syracuse NY has a very lonely feeling to it. The administrative staff there have good intentions and try to be helpful, but it seems like the whole school is an uncoordinated poorly oiled machine. Anyway, I won't go into too many details because that's off topic here. The bottom line is that MCW seems like the right choice for me. - I'll see you all in August! :)

Well, looks like you made your decision. Welcome to MCW. Good luck with M1 year!

Hmm...the updates from Istwan have stopped. I wonder if this means the class is pretty much full now.

Hmm...the updates from Istwan have stopped. I wonder if this means the class is pretty much full now.

Wasn't he going on vacation? I thought the last update said something about him being out of town.

Well, I'm not a med student at MCW, but I did just graduate from there....;)

1) Is MCW worth an extra $20,000 per year over a good state school? (mine is SUNY Upstate) Probably not. I'd opt to save the money.

2) How friendly and close are classmates with each other? For instance do you all often hang out at least regularly at least a little bit after classes? Do groups ever go out to a bar (or wherever) and celebrate after a test? Are there any clubs or activities that people arrange and actually attend on a regular basis? I was local, so I didn't have as many friends from my class, but there were a lot of people who spent a lot of time with fellow med students. We had at least one couple get married before we graduated, and I think there will be a few more that will get hitched (they couples matched for residency). There was extensive post-exam celebration at bars on a regular basis, and there are a lot of organized activities.

3) How good are the rotation options? Excellent. Definitely a strong point of the school. The main academic hospital (Froedtert), a world-class pediatric hospital, a VA hospital, many many community hospitals with a wide variety of strengths and weaknesses, and tons of outpatient clinics.

4) How much fun / relaxing / cool / enjoyable stuff is there to do in the local area? A lot during the summer, a moderate amount in the fall, not a whole lot in the winter.

5) Are any classes mandatory attendance? Which labs are mandatory attendance and which are not? Not when I went there. Microbiology labs were fairly mandatory, but there were only like 7-8 of those.

6) How much / how well does MCW prep you for the board (usmle?) tests? Pretty well.

7) What is the housing situation like? For instance how much do apartments cost? Are good apartments easy to get? Are all the students living in the same very small area, or are they dispersed? Most people live in Wauwatosa, especially at first, and I had a nice 2BR apartment on North Avenue right by the Alterra on Swan/92nd for $675 including two off-street parking spaces.

8) I assume a car is absolutely necessary, so what's the parking situation like? Do I need to rent a parking space, or would I be fine just parking on the streets? Is traffic ever a problem? Traffic isn't bad by major city standards. Unless you live downtown or near it, your apartment will probably come with enough parking for you. If you live downtown, you'll probably have to buy a spot.

9) How 24 hour friendly is the school? Like is the library open 24 hours? What about the gym? Is the local area late-night friendly? For instance are there restaurants open late? Library was open from around 7a-11p during the week, the building itself is open 24/7 to students. Study rooms and the cafeteria are always open. The Tonkens in the basement is 24/7. Local area is not late-night friendly except the Starbucks on Hwy 100 and Bluemound.

10) Are *video* recordings available for *all* classes and labs? it was just MP3s of all lectures for me.

11) Please tell me all the pros and cons that you can think of for going to MCW. And please tell me any other ideas / suggestions / points to consider / whatever that you can tells us about MCW. I loved it, glad I went, no real regrets.

I did opt for MCW over UWisc, which would have been about $12K/year cheaper for me. I'm fairly sure I made the right choice though.

Well, I'm not a med student at MCW, but I did just graduate from there....;)

1) Is MCW worth an extra $20,000 per year over a good state school? (mine is SUNY Upstate) Probably not. I'd opt to save the money.

2) How friendly and close are classmates with each other? For instance do you all often hang out at least regularly at least a little bit after classes? Do groups ever go out to a bar (or wherever) and celebrate after a test? Are there any clubs or activities that people arrange and actually attend on a regular basis? I was local, so I didn't have as many friends from my class, but there were a lot of people who spent a lot of time with fellow med students. We had at least one couple get married before we graduated, and I think there will be a few more that will get hitched (they couples matched for residency). There was extensive post-exam celebration at bars on a regular basis, and there are a lot of organized activities.

3) How good are the rotation options? Excellent. Definitely a strong point of the school. The main academic hospital (Froedtert), a world-class pediatric hospital, a VA hospital, many many community hospitals with a wide variety of strengths and weaknesses, and tons of outpatient clinics.

4) How much fun / relaxing / cool / enjoyable stuff is there to do in the local area? A lot during the summer, a moderate amount in the fall, not a whole lot in the winter.

5) Are any classes mandatory attendance? Which labs are mandatory attendance and which are not? Not when I went there. Microbiology labs were fairly mandatory, but there were only like 7-8 of those.

6) How much / how well does MCW prep you for the board (usmle?) tests? Pretty well.

7) What is the housing situation like? For instance how much do apartments cost? Are good apartments easy to get? Are all the students living in the same very small area, or are they dispersed? Most people live in Wauwatosa, especially at first, and I had a nice 2BR apartment on North Avenue right by the Alterra on Swan/92nd for $675 including two off-street parking spaces.

8) I assume a car is absolutely necessary, so what's the parking situation like? Do I need to rent a parking space, or would I be fine just parking on the streets? Is traffic ever a problem? Traffic isn't bad by major city standards. Unless you live downtown or near it, your apartment will probably come with enough parking for you. If you live downtown, you'll probably have to buy a spot.

9) How 24 hour friendly is the school? Like is the library open 24 hours? What about the gym? Is the local area late-night friendly? For instance are there restaurants open late? Library was open from around 7a-11p during the week, the building itself is open 24/7 to students. Study rooms and the cafeteria are always open. The Tonkens in the basement is 24/7. Local area is not late-night friendly except the Starbucks on Hwy 100 and Bluemound.

10) Are *video* recordings available for *all* classes and labs? it was just MP3s of all lectures for me.

11) Please tell me all the pros and cons that you can think of for going to MCW. And please tell me any other ideas / suggestions / points to consider / whatever that you can tells us about MCW. I loved it, glad I went, no real regrets.

Thanks for your responses! I recognized your avatar from awhile ago, but I had no idea you've attended MCW. How did your match go?

anyone know if we're supposed to have a certain color of scrubs for anatomy? (such a girl question i know)

also, recommendations of how many pairs to get?

anyone know if we're supposed to have a certain color of scrubs for anatomy? (such a girl question i know)

also, recommendations of how many pairs to get?

color doesn't matter, and 1 pair is enough

Status
Not open for further replies.