2009-2010 Yale University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
anyone know when financial aid packages come out? cant find any info on the website or last years thread.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm pretty sure that they accept more than 100 initially. All the schools that I've seen accept about 150% initially because they know a lot of these students will end up going somewhere else. A lot of people seem to think that schools accept their class size and then waitlist everyone. They actually usually accept a lot more than their class size and then go to the waitlist. I may be wrong in the case of Yale, but I don't think I am.

The 108 people accepted on facebook is evidence that they overaccept. Not everyone has facebook so the number of accepted should be significantly higher.

This would make sense to me but I read on last years discussion that they only take 100 initially... How many do we estimate were waitlisted?

If you look at the poll someone said 212 were accepted and about 20 will get in off the waitlist. Those numbers sound right to me.

Members don't see this ad :)
does Yale have a problem with other schools snatching their accepted students? Got a call from Dean of Multicultural Affairs. that makes 3 this week, with their congratulations and "yale is awesome" speech. an alum, a current student, then him.

i mean, i appreciate the congratulations, but really...

yeah i've gotten 5 calls so far. crazy! they must be pretty hard core at recruiting

i only got one phone call so far. maybe they thought they made a mistake and decided they don't really want me all that much :laugh:

lol i think it depends. i got a call from my student interviewer, a current student, two from a dean (b/c i had questions about research and he called me back to talk more), and one from the admissions office

I got quite a few phone calls as well. It gives a good vibe and certainly makes Yale stand out to me. :)

I've got several calls and emails. They are definitely hard at recruiting. Unfortunately my mind is already made up.

I am trying hard to make my decision to attend or not. I think I understand the concrete positives (and the concrete negatives) of attending Yale over my other acceptances but......I am thinking those positives - even for someone wanting a career in academic medicine - are not really why I'm considering paying so much more for Yale than two of my other choices. In truth, they are probably not enough to warrant the huge cost difference for me.

Am I just being naive about Yale? What I think Yale offers me, that no one else on my list does to such an extent, is an opportunity to change the whole academic environment I've been in from middle-school on (I was a Montessori brat before that). I mean, study what is being taught, stay focused, stress over tests and papers, go off on tangents only after all the required work is done - almost an employee mentality. They are the boss and we are always doing what they want us to do , when they want us to do it, and in the way they want us to do it.

And I am more than ready for a change to a more independent, more self-directed, and more self-paced experience.

Am I being overly romantic about "The Yale System"? If so, I'd really feel like an idiot when I ended up after 4 or 5 years with what may be 4 times the debt. If it's really just not that different than Baylor or UT-Southwestern in learning environment then ........I need to know that.

What do y'all think? Any current Yale students reading this thread want to comment?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I am trying hard to make my decision to attend or not. I think I understand the concrete positives (and the concrete negatives) of attending Yale over my other acceptances but......I am thinking those positives - even for someone wanting a career in academic medicine - are not really why I'm considering paying so much more for Yale than two of my other choices. In truth, they are probably not enough to warrant the huge cost difference for me.

Am I just being naive about Yale? What I think Yale offers me, that no one else on my list does to such an extent, is an opportunity to change the whole academic environment I've been in from middle-school on (I was a Montessori brat before that). I mean, study what is being taught, stay focused, stress over tests and papers, go off on tangents only after all the required work is done - almost an employee mentality. They are the boss and we are always doing what they want us to do , when they want us to do it, and in the way they want us to do it.

And I am more than ready for a change to a more independent, more self-directed, and more self-paced experience.

Am I being overly romantic about "The Yale System"? If so, I'd really feel like an idiot when I ended up after 4 or 5 years with what may be 4 times the debt. If it's really just not that different than Baylor or UT-Southwestern in learning environment then ........I need to know that.

What do y'all think? Any current Yale students reading this thread want to comment?

Thanks in advance.

I think starting a separate thread for this might yield better responses.

I have one going called Yale vs. Texas schools. Maybe I should just re-post this there. Thanks.

hey hanjg,

I've known a fair number of yale med students, and my impression was very similar to yours, especially when compared to friends at other schools (though none in Texas). It would be great if a current student could chime in on that.

I made my decisions about med school (and ultimately, to attend yale) based in large part on where I would be able to lead the type of life I want, and my mental health and personal life factored into that as much as my learning style and professional interests. I always wonder if, in part, it is because we are all so prone to not take these issues into account that there are so many unhappy physicians (ya know, the dozens we've met along the way who tell us not to go into medicine!). I think the type of change you want to see in your lifestyle and learning environment is a great one, and will make you a better physician and academic (at least that's what i'm banking on for myself!).

That being said, if in the long run you cannot practice medicine/teach in the way you want because of huge debt burden dictating your career path, that is another factor to weigh. I was "lucky" enough to be facing more or less the same debt everywhere!!

good luck!

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are there actually people like me who has not received any phone calls from their admissions?

I got quite a few phone calls as well. It gives a good vibe and certainly makes Yale stand out to me. :)

16 acceptances. perhaps its time to begin withdrawing?

anyone know when we can move into Harkness dorms? Just trying to figure out my summer plans.

Any idea about when FA will start sending info?

Hi, current Yale student here... feel free to private message me with questions. As for financial aid, they usually release that around the time of second look.

As for the quote below... Yale does offer you the opportunity "to change your whole academic environment," but it only offers just that... the opportunity. Not the guarantee. To be fair, there is almost no one at Yale that is studying to the tests. That won't happen. No one will ever raise there hand in class and ask, "will that be on the test?" No one really cares what will be on the tests, because the tests don't really matter. It is pass now, or pass later. If you fail, you basically just have to retake the test again after some review sessions with the prof and some extra studying. In theory, if you started failing a lot of tests, something more serious might happen, but I've never heard of that happening to anyone. Everyone passes.

So the tests are not important. HOWEVER, this does not mean that suddenly you get to live in this wonderful study-free world where everyone skips around in the sunshine and holds hands under rainbows. Above, when I said it gives you the opportunity and not the guarantee of a new academic environment, what I meant was that some students take advantage of the Yale system much more than others. Some students, regardless of the fact that the tests don't really matter to anyone, will spend many hours a day studying, everyday. They will basically fill nearly all their free time studying, and constantly complain that they are behind and need to catch up. I don't think it is so much that these students are concerned that they will not pass the tests, but that they just are concerned they won't know all they need to know to be doctors... or something...

Other students take significant advantage of the Yale system. They will still study, don't get me wrong, but they will study a few hours a day. Some choose to skip all their lectures and just read the book through that time. Others attend all the lectures, and do just an hour or two of work a day max, because they take so much away from lectures. What is significant though is what they do with all that time that they are not studying. They are no longer worried about passing the constant studying students in the library and getting a lower score than them on a test, because the test scores are anonymous. As a result, they can free up their time to really pursue the things that will make them the kind of doctor they want to be. For some, this means studying all the time (which I don't think is really a change in academic environment), but for others this means pursuing a wide array of other activities. Many students spend time shadowing doctors, scrubbing in on surgeries, getting involved in research, attending conferences, organizing various forms of political activism, writing for law/policy journals, writing creatively, teaching kids in the community, volunteering their time in local clinics, etc, etc. Or you can just chill. A lot of people just hang out and have jam sessions. Other people play basketball. Some people play IM sports or just work out a lot. Or others go on road trips all over the northeast visiting friends and going skiing or whatever.

In other words, if you aren't going to freak out and think you need to study all the time, a whole new world of academia will open its doors to you at Yale. But you have to have the courage to not study 24/7. And the truth is, that at least in my opinion, not every Yalie has that.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Everyone,
Congrats on getting into Yale! I'm a current first year and I love it here. Feel free to pm me any of your questions. Good luck deciding!

Is there any word about how they decide WL movement? I hear it is tiered and that we would be getting an email letting us know where we stand. Anyone know when we should expect that email?

Is there any word about how they decide WL movement? I hear it is tiered and that we would be getting an email letting us know where we stand. Anyone know when we should expect that email?

I was wondering the same thing...but I just assumed we wouldn't hear anything until after May 15th.

Those of you who have received financial aid award letters, were you satisfied with your packages?

Those of you who have received financial aid award letters, were you satisfied with your packages?

anyone know where we can check to see if our fin aid application is complete? i called the fin aid office and the voicemail said they cant do status checks on the phone, but to check the website

also, does the package come via email or mail?

hey current students,
how many of you live in harkness?
how is it as a dorm? and when did you apply for housing (if you did)?
all advice appreciated. thanks!

anyone know where we can check to see if our fin aid application is complete? i called the fin aid office and the voicemail said they cant do status checks on the phone, but to check the website

also, does the package come via email or mail?

I called, the package comes via mail and they are in the process of sending them now (mine wasn't even done yet). The person I talked to told me that there was a status page online but that they didn't know how to find it since it was new this year :/

Has anyone found this status page?? I dont want to go to revisit if yale isnt giving me good financial aid, but im sure it wont be mailed to me in time.

I called the office too. Was told I wasn't processed but got the mail in the mailbox last night. There might be a mistake in my package, coz it doesn't make much sense now.

sayeah, can you elaborate on what didn't make sense? My mail will go to my permanent address in Texas so I might not be seeing anything for a while.

I called the office too. Was told I wasn't processed but got the mail in the mailbox last night. There might be a mistake in my package, coz it doesn't make much sense now.
doesn't make sense...in a bad way?

if so, that's unfortunate

Anybody receive any FA news?

Anybody receive any FA news?

I have not yet. I called and was told their main focus now is to give awards to those who will be attending second look. Unfortunately I will not be so hopefully sometime early next week.

Any word on financial aid yet?

Nothing here.

Nothing here.

Did you attend second look? Those there were supposed to have received their package...Although I am not sure since I was not able to attend. Hopefully, they will get back to the rest of us in this week. I wish there was an easy way to check up on our status though.

Nope. No Second Look for me. Finals. :(

And if anybody did go, I wish they'd tell us about the FA.

Nope. No Second Look for me. Finals. :(

And if anybody did go, I wish they'd tell us about the FA.

I was at second look, and they gave most of us our financial aid packages when we checked in. I know that there were a few people who were there who didn't receive theirs though.

Still no FA. :(

Still no FA. :(

Nothing here as well. So I guess next week :(

The longer it takes for me to hear back, the less excited I get about attending.

Got my FA. It's doable (barely) in the dorm but I really would like an apartment if at all possible. Any suggestions for clean/safe/not that expensive/one cat friendly? I don't need fancy or new. Anybody use a leasing agent they can recommend?

hi! I got in off the waitlist on Friday. will probably attend. good luck to those still waiting! :)

For those who got off the wait list, was it via email or phone?

i got an email asking to call mr. silverman. i did and he told me :)

wow, yale does not seem to be very big on giving out FA. i expected some school based aid but got nothing, now im staring at a potential 200k debt after graduation! time to consider WashU....

Last edited:
I was accepted ! wow, what an honor o.o!

So I have heard that Yale has a tiered waitlist and you can call in after a certain date to find out where you stand. Anyone know anything more about this? Or is there another thread about Yale's waitlist for Class of 2014 that I'm missing? :D

i'd like to know the same thing

Status
Not open for further replies.