2009-2010 Yale University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey do you guys think a LOR from a Phsycian who gives the weekly lectures for a hospital internship counts as a teacher?? The internship gives a graded 1 unit on my transcript. How would they know if the LOR writer is a teacher ne ways??

Members don't see this ad.

Hey do you guys think a LOR from a Phsycian who gives the weekly lectures for a hospital internship counts as a teacher?? The internship gives a graded 1 unit on my transcript. How would they know if the LOR writer is a teacher ne ways??

I would think that they would expect the prof. to mention teaching you in the letter. Is he faculty at your school? That might be an issue, if not. If he is, then I think it will work, but I'm not sure it'd qualify as a science letter.

I have 2 science letters from professors. My other 2 letters are from doctors that I have interacted with through 2 different research programs w/ weekly lectures. I think I will put off submitting primaries until tm and give Yale a call.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey so is everyone filling out the 500 word essay completely? I'm at like 350 and I think I've pretty much said everything. Is this alright?

Hey so is everyone filling out the 500 word essay completely? I'm at like 350 and I think I've pretty much said everything. Is this alright?

I'm sure that's completely fine. My P.I. right now is on an ADCOM at a top school and he has continually emaphasized the importance of brevity in the application process to me. Good luck :)

So I have some questions. 1) In ranking your activities, do you account for EVERYTHING listed on amcas? even the individual things that were lumped together in broad categories? And 2) Can we use the optional essay space to discuss our summer activities (not on amcas)? Or is it that unnecessary?

Thanks and good luck to everyone!

So I have some questions. 1) In ranking your activities, do you account for EVERYTHING listed on amcas? even the individual things that were lumped together in broad categories? And 2) Can we use the optional essay space to discuss our summer activities (not on amcas)? Or is it that unnecessary?

Thanks and good luck to everyone!

1. I broke up some of the stuff, but I didn't put everything that was on my AMCAS on here. It said to rank the most significant so I picked my like 10 favorite or so.

2. I didn't write anything. But I don't really think there's a wrong answer to "Put whatever you feel like."

1. I broke up some of the stuff, but I didn't put everything that was on my AMCAS on here. It said to rank the most significant so I picked my like 10 favorite or so.

2. I didn't write anything. But I don't really think there's a wrong answer to "Put whatever you feel like."

Ksmi, this is a bit off-topic, but did you remove your picture and MDapps profile for interview season?

Ksmi, this is a bit off-topic, but did you remove your picture and MDapps profile for interview season?

I was wondering how long it'd take for someone to actually ask me instead of just talking about it. But yes, I obviously was very open and not anonymous at all, but with applications starting it's just better to be more careful about what I say and how I portray myself. I have no doubt that if I didn't change stuff, schools could pinpoint me if they really wanted to. Sure, it may be a little paranoid, but it's the same idea behind making my facebook private. It's just better this way.

Reactions: 1 user
I was wondering how long it'd take for someone to actually ask me instead of just talking about it. But yes, I obviously was very open and not anonymous at all, but with applications starting it's just better to be more careful about what I say and how I portray myself. I have no doubt that if I didn't change stuff, schools could pinpoint me if they really wanted to. Sure, it may be a little paranoid, but it's the same idea behind making my facebook private. It's just better this way.

I was pretty pinpointable last year. Among fellow applicants more than adcoms, but I did have a student adcom member (at a school that I was going to interview at soon) leave me a MDApps comment telling me that I should try to stay more anonymous online, because I was really recognizable. I just made my activities descriptions more vague, I'm not sure it really helped anything, haha.

I was pretty pinpointable last year. Among fellow applicants more than adcoms, but I did have a student adcom member (at a school that I was going to interview at soon) leave me a MDApps comment telling me that I should try to stay more anonymous online, because I was really recognizable. I just made my activities descriptions more vague, I'm not sure it really helped anything, haha.

Were you accepted to said medical school?

Were you accepted to said medical school?

I have no idea which school it was. From the tone of the post, it sounded like the student adcom member saw my file and correlated it with my SDN/MDApps profile. My interviews were mostly clumped together, so it was hard to tell which school he/she was from.

I have no idea which school it was. From the tone of the post, it sounded like the student adcom member saw my file and correlated it with my SDN/MDApps profile. My interviews were mostly clumped together, so it was hard to tell which school he/she was from.

Ah, so it could just as easily have been some SDN member?

Btw, I'm here at UCSF for the SRT Program. The only time I have ever seen any sort of dicourse is between a chief resident and some attending on the basketball court. The only change I wish they could somehow make would be to move the medical school and hospital to the Mission Bay campus (or make Parnassus look like Mission Bay :laugh:). Great choice to attend here! I really hope I have similar options. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
So is that optional essay really just for if you absolutely have to give an explanation for a weak spot in your app or something (e.g. I was sick soph year so my gpa dropped)? or is it a question that most people will write an essay for?

laman10, i'd say either. whatever you feel like putting seems fair game.

also, for the essay about why yale, do you guys talk about why you like certain aspects of the school? or do you talk about some of your experiences and tie that into the answer? i want to tie in some of my experiences, but with only 500 words its pretty tight since i used 320 words or so just saying why i like the school

I am confused about the same thing too. I have never been to Yale personally so I don't have much first hand experience but after learning about during my school selection process, I have come to love it and its one of my top choices for this year.

I don't want to ruin this essay but it seems like either I could go on 'listing' the things I like about Yale one after another or try and support them with my past experience, with the latter only allowing me touch on a few specifics. Any ideas on which might be a better way to go?

Well I kinda did both.. I listed the 3 main reasons I want to go there and supported each with at least a sentence or two about how that relates to me/ my experience.

Well I kinda did both.. I listed the 3 main reasons I want to go there and supported each with at least a sentence or two about how that relates to me/ my experience.

This. Except I listed 4 things, obviously with a little more brevity.

i never know what to write when asked questions like "why school x?"

i mean i can't just write "because it's awesome and i want to be a doctor" and truthfully i can't comment on the school specifically unless i know someone who goes/went there and i can really only comment on what i've read about...

anyone else come across this problem as well?

One awesome thing about Yale is that their graduate school campus and their medical school campus are close neighbors. Right next to your dorm is an enormous wealth of research opportunities. They are especially well-known for their neuroscience research. Yale system encourages students to be independent, mature, and responsible. They require a research thesis for graduation. In my essay I discussed my interest in neurobiology, pointed out two specific laboratories at Yale where I would love to work, and concluded by saying that the Yale system awards its students with the kind of freedom necessary for successful involvement in research.

Last edited:
Though I would not recommend you live in the dorms!

Agreed! The dorms are right across the street from the hospital though, so the point still stands :)

Yale system encourages students to be independent, mature, and responsible. They require a research thesis for graduation. In my essay I discussed my interest in neurobiology, pointed out two specific laboratories at Yale where I would love to work, and concluded by saying that the Yale system awards its students with the kind of freedom necessary for successful involvement in research.

:thumbup:

Broadly, I explained why the Yale System suited me. Specifically, I mentioned my research background and the PIs I'd like to work with, as well as other programs at Yale that I would be interested in getting involved with. Click around on their website. Look for programs and opportunities that interest you. Write about those.

Yale has a thesis requirement, but it doesn't have to be in the basic sciences. Even if you don't have a strong research background, you can still mention some topics that interest you and how you hope to further those interests at Yale. I think I remember a student telling me that his thesis was going to be related to theater. You want to demonstrate a curiosity for learning, working independently, etc.

I attended a three-day health conference at Yale as an undergrad and talked about the medical students and people I met while there and why they interested me. Then I compared the Yale System to my undergraduate college (they're really similar), and concluded with talking about research and ec opportunities I'd be interested in pursuing. I tried not to name specific P.I.s because I thought it would sound forced (because....at least for me... there's little way I could know I'd want to work in a specific lab based off a description on their website).

Hm.. I thought Yale is a non-rolling school..
Why do you guys have to rush your applications in so fast?
Am I mistaken about the non-rolling thing?

I was accepted to Yale last year. I made a huge mistake and rushed my application in as soon as I could. I interviewed on September 15th, their very first interview day. And then... I waited until March 15 to hear about their decision!

Two points against applying early to non-rolling schools:
#1: Most non-rolling schools are probably your top choices. Keep those interviews for last, you will learn a lot in the process. You will be better prepared to handle it.

#2: Things change during the long interviewing season. I published two papers in the interim. I regret not being able to discuss them at my interviews.

Nevertheless, I did get in. I think I could have saved myself a lot of nerves if I waited.

Anyone have MCAT or Letters received here yet?

"If your college education has not been continuous over successive years, or if you have discontinued your education for more than four weeks, please indicate the reason.*"

Does this apply to taking time off after college as well?

"If your college education has not been continuous over successive years, or if you have discontinued your education for more than four weeks, please indicate the reason.*"

Does this apply to taking time off after college as well?

Hmm. Doesn't seem like it does. Reason: graduated. That doesn't seem to fit. But I'm sure they wouldn't mind if you did answer.

Hmm. Doesn't seem like it does. Reason: graduated. That doesn't seem to fit. But I'm sure they wouldn't mind if you did answer.

I think that this question is addressing any interruptions in undergraduate education, not "what you did after college".

Has Yale sent out any emails "inviting" people to apply, or are people simply filling out the secondary since it is available? Will they send out emails?

Has Yale sent out any emails "inviting" people to apply, or are people simply filling out the secondary since it is available? Will they send out emails?

No emails. My philosophy will those that are available online is to do them now before I get even more emails. I would assume they would email us though. On my status page it seems like they haven't even put the primaries they received in their system since it says they haven't received my MCAT score yet.

I received an email from them on the 9th welcoming me to the start of the application process and such...

Buuuut, I also started applying last year (as in created a login name and such) and then decided I was not ready to apply yet...so perhaps because I was already in their system I got the e-mail on the earlier side. Also, my MCATs have been in...probably two important factors.

I'm sure the emails will be out shortly!

Does anyone else feel depressed answering the Why Yale question? The more I research on the topic, the more I fall in love with Yale - but I know I'm going to be rejected, so this stupid essay is setting me up for disappointment! Ack!

Haha I feel the same way. It's my top choice now but I still don't know if my essay is ok. Not going to submit this one until I am sure.

I was accepted to Yale last year. I made a huge mistake and rushed my application in as soon as I could. I interviewed on September 15th, their very first interview day. And then... I waited until March 15 to hear about their decision!

#1: Most non-rolling schools are probably your top choices. Keep those interviews for last, you will learn a lot in the process. You will be better prepared to handle it.

#2: Things change during the long interviewing season. I published two papers in the interim. I regret not being able to discuss them at my interviews.

Nevertheless, I did get in. I think I could have saved myself a lot of nerves if I waited.

I agree - there's no point in rushing non-rolling schools, especially if you're a stellar applicant.

On the other hand, interviews are handed out on a rolling basis so if you're a weaker applicant it would benefit you to get your application in earlier so you can be considered for an interview earlier.

If possible, definitely try to get some interviews under your belt before interviewing at your top choice schools.

I think that this question is addressing any interruptions in undergraduate education, not "what you did after college".

Agreed. :thumbup:

did anyone else get this message when they submitted their application?

Your Early Decision Program supplemental application has been submitted to the Office of Admissions at the Yale School of Medicine.

I am not applying early decision...

Your Early Decision Program supplemental application has been submitted to the Office of Admissions at the Yale School of Medicine.

Unless a bunch of other SDNers also got this message, I would call Yale to ask...

I submitted awhile ago but I do not remember that message.

You should go back to the main secondary page, click the link "To complete the Supplemental Application,"
pixel.gif
login, and click the link "Display to display your submitted application." At the top left you should have the MD blank X'ed, not the EDP one. If the EDP one is X'ed, call them and fix it.

Has anyone had anything change in their status at Yale?
nope... getting kind of annoyed. why would they open their secondary so early and then not bother to download our other things?

Thanks for this information. Can you list the schools that are non-rolling please? I would really appreciate that.

Thanks.

Thanks for this information. Can you list the schools that are non-rolling please? I would really appreciate that.

Thanks.

It's kind of crazy to ask DNAbaby (or anybody) to list ALL the non-rolling schools

The schools that I applied to which are non rolling are harvard, yale, penn, duke, columbia.

Do you have a copy of the MSAR? If so, look for schools that start accepting people in late february/march. That means they don't accept anyone before then, which indicates that they probably have non-rolling admissions.

With regard to the Letter of Recommendation component to the online application

does anybody recall if Yale secondary initially said something to the effect of -- type "Letter Packet" if your school is sending a committee-packet-type thing, don't list the authors individually, etc.?

well, I'm pretty sure those were the instructions earlier in June. Currently, it tells us to type "Committee Packet"

I just submitted my app with "Letter Packet" typed in. I didn't notice the change until after submission.

My school sends a committee letter, with individual letters included.

Is it worth it to call the office of admissions for them to make the change from Letter Packet to Committee Packet?

With regard to the Letter of Recommendation component to the online application

does anybody recall if Yale secondary initially said something to the effect of -- type "Letter Packet" if your school is sending a committee-packet-type thing, don't list the authors individually, etc.?

well, I'm pretty sure those were the instructions earlier in June. Currently, it tells us to type "Committee Packet"

I just submitted my app with "Letter Packet" typed in. I didn't notice the change until after submission.

My school sends a committee letter, with individual letters included.

Is it worth it to call the office of admissions for them to make the change from Letter Packet to Committee Packet?

I submitted 6/9 and mine says Committee Packet so I doubt it ever said Letter Packet. However, I think they'll get the idea. Don't worry about it too much.

So.. I wanted to send my letters via Interfolio directly and not through AMCAS since I thought there might be less traffic, so I wrote down that they should expect from the Interfolio address. Turns out, Interfolio will only send Yale letters straight to AMCAS, so now the address from the "sending institution" is different.

Not a big deal, right?

So.. I wanted to send my letters via Interfolio directly and not through AMCAS since I thought there might be less traffic, so I wrote down that they should expect from the Interfolio address. Turns out, Interfolio will only send Yale letters straight to AMCAS, so now the address from the "sending institution" is different.

Not a big deal, right?

I was under the impression that "sending institution" meant the university that is sending the letters on your behalf...

It's kind of crazy to ask DNAbaby (or anybody) to list ALL the non-rolling schools

The schools that I applied to which are non rolling are harvard, yale, penn, duke, columbia.

Do you have a copy of the MSAR? If so, look for schools that start accepting people in late february/march. That means they don't accept anyone before then, which indicates that they probably have non-rolling admissions.

Oh I see.. I hadn't notice that in the MSAR. Thanks a lot for your help :)

Guys, pls i'll be taking the MCATs in august and intend to apply this cycle. do u think i should respond to the secondary anytime soon or just wait till i am done with my exams? Pls help...am freaking out!:(

Yale is non rolling so I wouldn't worry too much about your secondary but submit your primary before then so it can be verified. Submitting the primary after august could be a little late but not sure what the consensus about that is. At our school we are told to get it done by July at the latest.

Status
Not open for further replies.