2010-2011 Loyola (Stritch) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey so my girlfriend will be moving with me to Chicago this fall for school. She is getting a PhD at Loyola but she will be at the Lake Shore campus. Because of this we are looking at living in the city, somewhere around wicker park. Do any students live in the city the first year? I know at my interview I was told many students live downtown the 3rd and 4th year but it didn't seem like many did that the 1st year. We are just trying to figure out ways to make this work. Any ideas current students?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey so my girlfriend will be moving with me to Chicago this fall for school. She is getting a PhD at Loyola but she will be at the Lake Shore campus. Because of this we are looking at living in the city, somewhere around wicker park. Do any students live in the city the first year? I know at my interview I was told many students live downtown the 3rd and 4th year but it didn't seem like many did that the 1st year. We are just trying to figure out ways to make this work. Any ideas current students?

At second look day I sat with an M2 that lived in Wicker Park, to which I took immediate interest (I currently live in Ukrainian Village). He said he's never had trouble getting to and from Loyola with his car the last two years. He said you learn when the best times to travel are (usually took 30 minutes for him with no traffic). As a Chicago native, I do agree. You learn to leave at the most optimal times to make the best of your trip.

Other students mentioned that they have several friends that lived in the city 1st and 2nd years and enjoyed it. Hopefully an M1 or M2 can post with a similar experience.

This all being said, I'm staying in Ukrainian village. I usually can make it to the Maywood campus in 14 or so minutes with no traffic...30 minutes-40 minutes in HEAVY traffic.

Members don't see this ad :)
At second look day I sat with an M2 that lived in Wicker Park, to which I took immediate interest (I currently live in Ukrainian Village). He said he's never had trouble getting to and from Loyola with his car the last two years. He said you learn when the best times to travel are (usually took 30 minutes for him with no traffic). As a Chicago native, I do agree. You learn to leave at the most optimal times to make the best of your trip.

Other students mentioned that they have several friends that lived in the city 1st and 2nd years and enjoyed it. Hopefully an M1 or M2 can post with a similar experience.

This all being said, I'm staying in Ukrainian village. I usually can make it to the Maywood campus in 14 or so minutes with no traffic...30 minutes-40 minutes in HEAVY traffic.

That is fantastic to hear. If we live out near the medical school it would simply take her too long to get to campus so we are trying to live in the middle. Plus I would much rather live in the city.

Thank you for your input!

Just withdrew from the application process!!! hope it opens up a spot for someone else!

That is fantastic to hear. If we live out near the medical school it would simply take her too long to get to campus so we are trying to live in the middle. Plus I would much rather live in the city.

Thank you for your input!

No problem! Check your PMs Blah2537.

Just got my financial aid award. Nice to know I will at least have some way to pay for my education :D. I wasn't expecting any need-based aid and didn't end up getting any. However, I know there are a few merit scholarships (Ignatian, Dean's, etc.). I was also told the financial aid office doesn't decide who receives merit scholarships but does anyone know when those get handed out? Thanks :)

Just got my financial aid award. Nice to know I will at least have some way to pay for my education :D. I wasn't expecting any need-based aid and didn't end up getting any. However, I know there are a few merit scholarships (Ignatian, Dean's, etc.). I was also told the financial aid office doesn't decide who receives merit scholarships but does anyone know when those get handed out? Thanks :)

On second look day, financial aid sort of addressed this topic. Others may add with info, but this is what I understood:

The admissions committee will decide who gets merit scholarships. At the time of decision, the student will receive some sort of notification (snail mail I suppose) from Dean Jones. The student must then promptly accept. This then gets sent to financial aid, who will adjust the finances accordingly. They did not mention when the decisions would be made, but just that it would be soon (prior to May 15).

Did everyone who was accepted receive their fin aid package today?

Did everyone who was accepted receive their fin aid package today?

I received mine on Friday. I didn't get to look at it until yesterday because I was having a little trouble getting into my LOCUS account. :cool:

Thanks hemostat!

@O2bMD--> Everyone's financial situation is different so I imagine they release funds on a case-by-case basis. So to answer your question I do not think all accepted applicants have received aid. I mean, there are probably some folks that still haven't been accepted yet from recent interviews.

Hope that helps!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks Goober11! I was starting to get a little worried. Hopefully I will hear something soon.

Odd, I can't see my financial aide summary. It says "Inquiry Access Denied" when I try to through Locus. Anyone else have it saying this? I was accepted October 16th so it can't have to do with that. Just a little confused.

Odd, I can't see my financial aide summary. It says "Inquiry Access Denied" when I try to through Locus. Anyone else have it saying this? I was accepted October 16th so it can't have to do with that. Just a little confused.

That's what mine said before I got the email today saying that my financial aid was ready on LOCUS. I wouldn't worry they are just looking over your financial app!

That's what mine said before I got the email today saying that my financial aid was ready on LOCUS. I wouldn't worry they are just looking over your financial app!

Nice good to know!

Wait listed after all. Too bad, I really liked this school.

If you are accepted do they definitely call you? Or do you just get something in the mail?

my interviewer.

Also found out that the wait list is ranked, but they won't disclose your ranking to you.

Did you contact your interviewer or did your interviewer contact you? So anxious to find out!

If you are accepted do they definitely call you? Or do you just get something in the mail?

They call some, but everyone will get an acceptance letter in the mail. I didn't get a call, but I got a letter about a week after the committee meeting. So, don't freak out if they don't call you. :luck:

anyone receive a letter yet? or phone call?

Question for current students! I spent way too many years living on the fringes of San Francisco while at Berkeley and Stanford... I'm dying to actually live closer to/in a big city for a change, and I'm willing to commute for it. Would this be a plausible living situation?

- Have a tiny shoebox apt in the city
- Ride the L out to Forest Park/Oak Park or Metrarail to Maywood
- Have my car parked at the station or nearby (is overnight parking possible there?), pick it up and go to school
- At the end of the day, drive car back to station
- Take the train back to the city

Thanks!

Question for current students! I spent way too many years living on the fringes of San Francisco while at Berkeley and Stanford... I'm dying to actually live closer to/in a big city for a change, and I'm willing to commute for it. Would this be a plausible living situation?

- Have my car parked at the station or nearby (is overnight parking possible there?), pick it up and go to school

Thanks!

I don't know about the train but a good friend of mine at loyola just straight up commutes from downtown in under a half hour. Easy peasy!

Thanks!

Yeah, that would be feasible, but it would also work to just commute the entire way in your car. Taking the train would probably end up taking you about an hour from door to door (of course depending on how close you are to the train in the city) My wife commutes every day from the city out further west than Loyola, and it takes her between 30 minutes and an hour depending on the traffic.

Also, you won't necessarily have to get a shoebox apartment - Oak Park is rather expensive, and you can find comparable or cheaper places in the city easily. This is not the Bay Area! Rents are, generally, much lower. :) For instance, we live in the Pilsen neighborhood, in a 1 bedroom house with a full side yard, with laundry and dishwasher, for $950/mo. That's about 2 miles from the loop, so fairly downtown. You just have to shop around some (granted, Wicker Park/Bucktown/Lincoln Park are going to be more expensive, but you can find roommates).

Is it possible to attend Loyola without a car at all?

BB and DR -- thanks so much for answering my Q's! Sounds awesome, I could definitely deal with 30-60 min of commute. I had another question too: should I plan on flying out a few weeks in advance to look for housing and get everything planned, or do you think it'd be possible to just fly out 3-4 days before orientation week begins and settle it all within a week or two? I'm planning on visiting extended family overseas before starting med school in the fall, so I might be cutting it a little close :)

Thanks again!

Yes it is. It would help to live on the blue line. From the end of the blue line you can transfer to the 308 bus that takes you right to the hospital campus. Many of the PACE busses connect at the Forest Park terminal and so several bus combinations can get you to school. Alternatively, you could find someone to carpool with.

I myself just got rid of my car and bought a moped. I get there in the same time as when I drove, I can park right next to the school at a bike rack, get some 85 mpg, and don't have to pay for parking in Oak Park or at Loyola. When its too rainy or cold, I can take the 305 bus from Oak Park and get on the 308 at the Forest Park transit terminal.

My fiancee goes to school downtown and also doesn't have a car. If you live in a good location relative to public transit, there is no need for a personal vehicle.

BB and DR -- thanks so much for answering my Q's! Sounds awesome, I could definitely deal with 30-60 min of commute. I had another question too: should I plan on flying out a few weeks in advance to look for housing and get everything planned, or do you think it'd be possible to just fly out 3-4 days before orientation week begins and settle it all within a week or two? I'm planning on visiting extended family overseas before starting med school in the fall, so I might be cutting it a little close :)

Thanks again!

I would recommend coming out a few weeks in advance. While you may be fine coming out just a few days before hand, the chance that you don't find anything would definitely make it worthwhile (at least to me) to come out before hand and get things settled. And also, any lease you get is going to start on either the 1st or 15th, so you might as well get to utilize the entire lease length and enjoy the city before school starts. There will be plenty of classmates around to get to know and find fun things to do.

That said, I found our apartment in about 2 days. So you would probably be fine. A lot of apartment hunting can be done online through craigslist and intelligent googling. Also you will get some potential hits from current students looking for roommates or current students/residents looking to rent their condos or apartments that they have had.

Just a few answers to your questions-- I am a former Loyola med student who graduated a few years ago. It is possible to attend without a car, but it will make things a bit challenging, especially when 3rd/4th year comes because rotations are located at various hospitals.

Most students live in Oak Park or Forest Park because you spend so much time at school at it makes your daily commute and getting back and forth the easiest. It is also generally cheaper, less money is spend on transportation and more time is left for studying (although there is always the option to listen to lectures or study materials)

If you have a family, living in the suburbs is definitely the best choice. Oak Park and River Forest have the best schools in the area. We have 3 kids and lived in Forest Park. My commute to school was less than 15 minutes, which is great when you are trying to get as much sleep and time with your family as possible.

As an FYI for anyone who is interested our condo will be available for rent this June. It is a 2 bedroom/1 bathroom apartment with living room, dinning room, eat-in kitchen and balcony. We have rented it to a med student family with young kids since we move for residency. It is about 1100 sq feet, and rent is $1095 per month. PM if you are interested in seeing it and let me know if you have any more questions.

Hi guys. I am fortunate enough to have multiple acceptances, and I had a few questions for any current medical students there. I am seriously considering Stritch and one other school, so I was hoping you could make my decision easier. Sorry for so many questions, but this decision is kind of stressing me out.

Is there any interaction with students from other academic departments? I know there's a collaborative learning center being built.

Do you find that the cost of attendance gives you enough money to live comfortably outside of Chicago?

Are the computer based exams very similar to the USMLE format?

Lastly, I would have to pay an extra 30K over the course of 4 years to go to Loyola, but I liked the atmosphere at Loyola a lot. If you do, why do you think it would be worth it to choose Loyola?

Hi guys. I am fortunate enough to have multiple acceptances, and I had a few questions for any current medical students there. I am seriously considering Stritch and one other school, so I was hoping you could make my decision easier. Sorry for so many questions, but this decision is kind of stressing me out.

Is there any interaction with students from other academic departments? I know there's a collaborative learning center being built.

Do you find that the cost of attendance gives you enough money to live comfortably outside of Chicago?

Lastly, I would have to pay an extra 30K over the course of 4 years to go to Loyola, but I liked the atmosphere at Loyola a lot. If you do, why do you think it would be worth it to choose Loyola?
The reason I ultimately chose Loyola, even over some Top 25 schools, is that the students there simply seemed the most normal and super happy, and the facilities for students were top notch.

To specifically answer your questions: not a ton of interaction with students in other departments though some PhD students join us for anatomy, but the interaction within the class is extraordinary. Everyone knows each other's names and gets to meet with everyone in different small groups. It's a ton of fun to be able to sit down next to anyone and be able to have a conversation and/or study with them.

The CoA is MORE than adequate for living either in or outside of Chicago. Many students don't even take out the entire loan. VERY generous.

Since I haven't taken the USMLE, I can't comment on how close the format is, but I do know that the school makes a conscious effort to continually track changes in the USMLE and the formatting and makes the computer exams as close as possible (both in content and format) to USMLE tests.

As for the money, CALL DEAN JONES AND TELL HIM YOUR CONCERNS. Seriously. He may not be able to help and if he can't, it's not because Loyola "doesn't like you", but it never hurts to simply say, "I really really want to come to Loyola, but School X is 30K cheaper over four years... is there anything Loyola can do to help me out financially?" And he'll get the idea. Worked for me and got me 30K over four years.

Btw what school is cheaper by 30K over four years? I know Loyola + Rush are the most inexpensive over four years in chicago and UIC is slightly more (because they charge for summer quarters). Feel free to PM me if you don't want to put it out there. Let me know if you have any other Qs!

I am in a similar situation financially. How would you go about calling him? Is that even appropriate considering Stritch doesn't publish his phone number? (Maybe they do??)

I guess I could probably find it the Loyola University Directory I just am not sure if catching him off guard would be ok.

Edit: Him= Dean Jones

Last edited:
I started off with an email to fin aid and they forwarded my request to Dean Jones. Try that first maybe?

Just got a rejection PDF emailed to me this morning... But I was rejected via online status months ago...

Thanks for telling my twice Loyola!

Just got a rejection PDF emailed to me this morning... But I was rejected via online status months ago...

Thanks for telling my twice Loyola!

Same here, I thought the same thing, is it necessary to tell me twice? lol, oh well.

My online status page still says "complete and under review" but I got the email rejection today. I knew interviews were over, anyway. Oh well, we may meet again, Loyola.

I got the email today as well...it was about bloody time. ;)

Regardless, congrats to everyone who got in!

My online status page still says "complete and under review" but I got the email rejection today. I knew interviews were over, anyway. Oh well, we may meet again, Loyola.

Sorry to hear that.

Not that this will console you or anything, but I came away with mixed feelings about Loyola from the interview. Don't get me wrong, it was a great school. I just really didn't think their interview day was THAT great compared to the other places I visited. Hopefully you have great options in terms of acceptances.

Last edited:

I am an M1 at loyola and found myself in a similar situation last year. That being said, I am SO happy I chose Loyola. Within the first couple of weeks here I was reassured that it was the right school for me. Students are friendly and go out of their way to help one other (whether it be with help moving or providing study guides for tests). But most of what I notice is the students (myself included) are happy. like actually happy and enjoying medical school. now obviously there are moments near exams where every one is in panic mode, but i can say that my friends at other med schools aren't as happy day to day as the students at loyola seem to be. Med school is a long, grueling, 4 years. Being around caring people (both students and faculty) who want you to succeed and help you to succeed and stress the importance of taking care of yourself and being happy is worth an extra 30k in loans at the end of the day for me. And ask anyone in the financial aid office and they will confirm that all loans get repaid eventually. that's my 2 cents. hope you find it helpful!

mkaay.

I am accepted to loyola which is really cool! I really like it. However, I am also accepted somewhere else and if i choose Loyola i will be looking at an additional 90K over four years. Is it worth it? I've emailed the fin. aid department and they said they emailed my concerns to dean jones.

any thoughts?

thanks!

This is for current students...I heard Loyola gives us a steth is that correct also do we need to buy our white coats or is this given to us as well? But we will have to buy an otoscope, an opthalmoscope, and a blood pressure cuff...can someone give me an idea as to how much those things run. People are starting to ask if they can buy these things for me as gifts so I would love to know what I will actually need to buy and what the prices ranges of the ones the school suggests are like. Thanks :D

This is for current students...I heard Loyola gives us a steth is that correct also do we need to buy our white coats or is this given to us as well? But we will have to buy an otoscope, an opthalmoscope, and a blood pressure cuff...can someone give me an idea as to how much those things run. People are starting to ask if they can buy these things for me as gifts so I would love to know what I will actually need to buy and what the prices ranges of the ones the school suggests are like. Thanks :D
They give you all that good stuff! Do not buy it or worry about it :)

Huh 70k? CoA is 67k. 65k if you remain on your parent's insurance and decline the institutional plan. Things get even lower considering the cost of living in many parts around Stritch is not very high.

Status
Not open for further replies.