2018-2019 Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
can someone add me to the accepted FB page? i requested last week but i dont know if anybody actually checks it

Members don't see this ad.

FINALLY got the phone call today around 4:00!! Super excited to be apart of the class of 2023!!!!

Reactions: 6 users
Sooo has anyone figured out what to do with that translucent, plastic, circular LUC SSOM thingy that came with the acceptance letter, pin, and immunization reminder? I peeled off the opaque part and didn't find that side to be sticky either

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
does anyone know if students have to pay for parking at loyola?

Sooo has anyone figured out what to do with that translucent, plastic, circular LUC SSOM thingy that came with the acceptance letter, pin, and immunization reminder? I peeled off the opaque part and didn't find that side to be sticky either
They're for the car window! They'll stick to glass

They're for the car window! They'll stick to glass

That’s what I thought, but I guess my adhesive dried by the time I got it! Hahaha. Thanks for confirming I’m not (completely) losing my mind.

For current students, how is the health insurance provided by the school? Do they just use their parent’s health insurance? Or for those who can’t be on their parent’s what do they do? Thanks.

For current students, how is the health insurance provided by the school? Do they just use their parent’s health insurance? Or for those who can’t be on their parent’s what do they do? Thanks.
From Locus:

Loyola Student Health Insurance

Loyola University Chicago's Board of Trustees requires that all undergraduate students enrolled for 12 or more credit hours and all graduate and professional students enrolled for 8 or more credit hours and all Stritch School of Medicine students (or registered for thesis or dissertation supervision) at the start of the Fall or Spring semester have individual health care insurance.

If the student meets the enrollment criteria above, their LOCUS account will be billed automatically for Loyola's Student Health Insurance. If the student is covered under a parent's medical insurance plan, or has an individual health insurance policy in place, a waiver must be submitted to opt out of Loyola's student health insurance to avoid unwanted charges on the tuition bill. The deadline for waiving out of the Health Care Plan for Students for Fall 2019 is 10/01/2019.

Purchase Coverage
To purchase student or dependent health care coverage directly (if you do not meet the eligibility requirements above), please visit United Healthcare Student Resources.

Unfortunately, I turn 26 before the New Year; thus, I can no longer be under my parents health insurance (though I could do COBRA) for relatively cheap. However, I'm going to opt for the student insurance because I don't think my insurer's coverage is very good (if even present) in the Maywood/Chicago area.

Hope that helps

Last edited:
Just withdrew my acceptance. Good luck to everyone :)

Just withdrew my acceptance. Good luck to everyone :)
Just got the call that I was accepted off the waitlist! :)
IMG_2844.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
As the admissions season comes to a close we are finalizing seats in our upcoming class. Please confirm your seat by agreeing to the terms below. Please note that if you are unable to agree to these terms and confirm your seat by [June 7] your offer of admission will be withdrawn in order to extend it to another candidate. If there are exigent circumstances whereby you cannot execute this agreement at this time, please reach out to us ASAP. Thank you.

did anyone get this e-mail? why is this? I thought the CTE deadline was july 1st for loyola?

As the admissions season comes to a close we are finalizing seats in our upcoming class. Please confirm your seat by agreeing to the terms below. Please note that if you are unable to agree to these terms and confirm your seat by [June 7] your offer of admission will be withdrawn in order to extend it to another candidate. If there are exigent circumstances whereby you cannot execute this agreement at this time, please reach out to us ASAP. Thank you.

did anyone get this e-mail? why is this? I thought the CTE deadline was july 1st for loyola?

Same here- so confused. Anyone have thoughts?
I'm also going to call the admissions office on Mon June 3 when they're open-

From Locus:

Loyola Student Health Insurance

Loyola University Chicago's Board of Trustees requires that all undergraduate students enrolled for 12 or more credit hours and all graduate and professional students enrolled for 8 or more credit hours and all Stritch School of Medicine students (or registered for thesis or dissertation supervision) at the start of the Fall or Spring semester have individual health care insurance.

If the student meets the enrollment criteria above, their LOCUS account will be billed automatically for Loyola's Student Health Insurance. If the student is covered under a parent's medical insurance plan, or has an individual health insurance policy in place, a waiver must be submitted to opt out of Loyola's student health insurance to avoid unwanted charges on the tuition bill. The deadline for waiving out of the Health Care Plan for Students for Fall 2019 is 10/01/2019.

Purchase Coverage
To purchase student or dependent health care coverage directly (if you do not meet the eligibility requirements above), please visit United Healthcare Student Resources.

Unfortunately, I turn 26 before the New Year; thus, I can no longer be under my parents health insurance (though I could do COBRA) for relatively cheap. However, I'm going to opt for the student insurance because I don't think my insurer's coverage is very good (if even present) in the Maywood/Chicago area.

Hope that helps

does anyone know where to find the details on what the student health insurance includes? what deductible rates are, in/out of network?

For those of you who were confused on the CTE deadline, I believe they had actually changed it to June 1st, and if you hadn't by then, you would receive a notification that tells you to do it by June 7th. If you log into the lumc vault website, there's a bit more info. Apparently the change was due to the slow process from AMCAS.

I got an email from Dean Nabers saying to go into the portal and choose option 3 in the Declaration of intent tab.
do we only commit on the portal or on amcas as well?

Just accepted today! Interviewed in late September. For those of you on CC, don't give up hope just yet! this CTE deadline is likely going to push some movement in the coming days. Best of luck to all of you.

Reactions: 8 users
Anyone know when we’re supposed to accept the financial aid award by?

Reactions: 1 users
Is anyone else having trouble logging into the castle branch where we are supposed to upload out immunizations? I made an account, paid the 35 bucks, and every time I log in it says "No account found. Please try again."

Also for the mental health course we also have to pay for, are these online courses and we pick a date or these are physical classes we attend at loyola?

Thanks guys,

Trying to get all these reqs done.

Is anyone else having trouble logging into the castle branch where we are supposed to upload out immunizations? I made an account, paid the 35 bucks, and every time I log in it says "No account found. Please try again."

Also for the mental health course we also have to pay for, are these online courses and we pick a date or these are physical classes we attend at loyola?

Thanks guys,

Trying to get all these reqs done.

no idea about the CB, but I think the mental health course is in person attendance

Does anyone else still have negative reports on some of their titers and need boosters? I have to wait another month after getting a booster shot, so that'll be after the July 1st deadline to have everything completed. I'm hoping this is a common occurrence and I won't face any problems with matriculating because of this

I got a booster on 5/31 for two of mine and know I’ll be cutting it close for the July 1st deadline, so I’m curious too...if anything know that you’re not alone!

Does anyone know when the loan disbursal date is? Also, has anyone else had issues accepting their grad PLUS loans?

Last edited:
I reached out about the immunizations. I had to get a couple series again. They said that as long as you are working towards the requirement you are totally fine. I will not get my last immunization until September.
I was also wondering if the mental health training is online or in person?
Are you able to accept your grad plus loans on the LOCUS portal? I have everything in and can't accept the grad plus loans yet.

Does anyone know when the loan disbursal date is? Also, has anyone else had issues accepting their grad PLUS loans?

No idea about the date, but I also had trouble accepting the grad PLUS loans, not sure how that works

No idea about the date, but I also had trouble accepting the grad PLUS loans, not sure how that works

I got an email on April 3 from the Financial Aid office that gave instructions for taking out the Grad PLUS loans. I was able to apply for and take out these loans by going to studentloans.gov and completing the application then taking the training course and agreeing to the master promissory note. The email said you can contact the FAO at 708-216-3227 with questions.

Does anyone else still have negative reports on some of their titers and need boosters? I have to wait another month after getting a booster shot, so that'll be after the July 1st deadline to have everything completed. I'm hoping this is a common occurrence and I won't face any problems with matriculating because of this
I got a booster on 5/31 for two of mine and know I’ll be cutting it close for the July 1st deadline, so I’m curious too...if anything know that you’re not alone!

I called their student health services and I'm in the same situation, except i haven't even gotten my booster yet.

They said to email [email protected] telling them the situation and you should be good. The student life person also said that there are students that need a full HepB series, and in that case they just want to see you're in the process of getting that done (since it takes so long).

I reached out about the immunizations. I had to get a couple series again. They said that as long as you are working towards the requirement you are totally fine. I will not get my last immunization until September.
I was also wondering if the mental health training is online or in person?
Are you able to accept your grad plus loans on the LOCUS portal? I have everything in and can't accept the grad plus loans yet.
mental health first aid was in person last year but we had the option to take the class earlier if we wanted to, so check when it's offered in your city, you might be able to do it prior (it might be more expensive though)

Any advice/news for those of us on the waitlist? Ive been uploading updates to the portal sometimes and emailing Dean Nabers other times. Thoughts or opinions?

Anyone know what the passport sized photos are gonna be used for?
Per Pre-matriculation & Orientation Information: Loyola University Chicago Health Sciences Division:

Photographs are required for completion of your permanent medical school file. Four (4) photographs must be sent to the Admissions Office (Building 120, Room 200) no later than Monday, July 1, 2019. The photographs will be used on various registration forms and for other paperwork including National Boards Certifications throughout your four years at Loyola. The photos must be:
  • Front pose only; head and shoulders; neutral background (passport photos work well)
  • 2" x 2" color
  • Professional quality; automatic machine photographs will not be accepted; passport photographs are acceptable
  • PRINT YOUR NAME AND AMCAS ID on the back of EACH photograph (ballpoint pen preferred so ink doesn’t bleed onto other photos)
Please mail your photos to the following address:
Whitney Kieca
Office of Medical School Admissions
Stritch School of Medicine
120, Room 200, Dock 8
2160 S. First Ave.
Maywood, IL 60153

Additionally, please email a photo to be used for your student ID to [email protected] no later than July 1, 2019. ID photos must be color. If a photo is not received by July 1st, we will use the photo that you submitted with your supplemental application for your ID.

Current students and/or people that know. Do we need a car? Or what are the other types of transportation to use that’s reasonable.

Current students and/or people that know. Do we need a car? Or what are the other types of transportation to use that’s reasonable.
Depends on where you live. Have you found a place yet?

There are buses/shuttles that take you to Loyola. I know some current students who uses public transportations but I think a lot of them use their own car.

Depends on where you live. Have you found a place yet?
I have and my place is within walking distance to oak park train station but I’m not familiar with the bus system that might be more advantageous

Got the acceptance phone call yesterday from Dean Nabers, he said there was some unexpected last-minute movement from the class. This was my top choice so super excited to be part of the class of 2023!

Reactions: 8 users
Does anyone know if items 10-12 on Castle Branch are things that we complete during orientation or once we are at Loyola? Or are these things that we also need to complete in advance? Thanks!

Items 10-12 are: health evaluation history form, respirator medical evaluation questionnaire and annual fit test

Got the acceptance phone call yesterday from Dean Nabers, he said there was some unexpected last-minute movement from the class. This was my top choice so super excited to be part of the class of 2023!
congrats! let us know if you have any questions doing the pre-matriculation checklists! :)

In case anyone else was having the same issue as me, the link for the parking form on the prematriculation checklist has a space accidentally entered into it so when you click it it takes you to a "Page does not exist". If you copy and paste and delete the space it works fine.

Does anyone know if items 10-12 on Castle Branch are things that we complete during orientation or once we are at Loyola? Or are these things that we also need to complete in advance? Thanks!

Items 10-12 are: health evaluation history form, respirator medical evaluation questionnaire and annual fit test

To add to that also, I just submitted a document that listed all my immunizations under medical records. I didn't go through each test and submit a separate pdf because all my results are jumbled together. Is that what you did also?

To add to that also, I just submitted a document that listed all my immunizations under medical records. I didn't go through each test and submit a separate pdf because all my results are jumbled together. Is that what you did also?
let us know if that works! i actually just submitted the whole doc with all the immunization multiple times (once for each requirement in CB), just in case they went to different review teams.

let us know if that works! i actually just submitted the whole doc with all the immunization multiple times (once for each requirement in CB), just in case they went to different review teams.
Gotcha I should probably do that too then

can any current students (or anyone) share their thoughts about the student health insurance offered from Loyola?