2018-2019 Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lucca

Will Walk Rope for Sandwich
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Our mission statement reflects the guiding principles of our institution. The Stritch School of Medicine is a home for all faiths, according to our Jesuit values. We believe that spirituality is an integral component of education, professional formation, and well-being. We value the opportunity to consider reflections of your own mission as it pertains to your candidacy and future professional goals. With your own personal mission in mind, please address each of the following questions (please limit your responses to 500 words or less):

1) Becoming a person for others is a core Jesuit value. What does this Jesuit ideal mean to you?
2) Please describe a personal or professional challenge or conflict that you have experienced. How did you resolve it? What skills, resources and/or strategies did you employ? DO NOT write about the MCAT, a course, or an academic issue.
3) How will you contribute to the diversity of the Stritch student body and community? Specifically, what unique traits, identities, experiences, skills and perspectives will you contribute?
4) Please use this space to bring the information in your AMCAS application up-to-date. Please indicate additional grades earned, alterations in your proposed coursework or graduation date, address changes, additions to your list of activities, and anything else you feel we should know. If you have not been enrolled in coursework, please let us know what you have been doing since coursework ended.
5) Have you or any of your relatives attended or been employed by Loyola University Chicago or the Loyola Stritch School of Medicine?
List relative(s), institution(s), and year(s) of graduation:

-OPTIONAL QUESTIONS-
6) Please use the space below to further explain anything in your application that may help us in our review of your candidacy-gaps or delays in education, academic missteps, or personal challenges not listed elsewhere, etc. (this response limited to 1500 characters)
7) Have you applied to Loyola Stritch School of Medicine prior to this application? If so, please list the years of your previous application submissions to Loyola SSOM.
8) Have you applied to any medical school prior to this year’s application? If so, please list the years of your previous application submissions to AMCAS. Please also tell us how your application has improved since your previous application.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: Loyola University Stritch School of Medicine

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
How many of you applying are actually religious? Just curious

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

This year applications (2019) have increased upto 30 % for Loyola university compared to last year. Did it increase for all the universities ?
Wait how do you know that

"I spoke to Loyola administration today. They told they have received 15000 plus application compared to 11335 last year."

"I spoke to Loyola administration today. They told they have received 15000 plus application compared to 11335 last year."
Already? It’s day 2 of the cycle. There’s no way 15k apps were sent already

Reactions: 1 users
Already? It’s day 2 of the cycle. There’s no way 15k apps were sent already
I was in a Loyola info session recently, and I can confirm this recent marked increase in the quantity of applications to Loyola (the bar graph representation of this statistic is crazy to see). I know that the stats can get confusing when discussing the recent classes/dates of matriculation versus dates of application. So, I think that that statistic might be comparing the incoming class (as in the class that they just completed screening and accepting applicants for) in comparison to the quantity of applications for the class that just completed M1. --> also, my apologies, but I can only comment on the existence of this trend, I do not remember the exact quantity of applicants!

Last edited:
I was in a Loyola info session recently, and I can confirm this recent marked increase in the quantity of applications to Loyola (the bar graph representation of this statistic is crazy to see). I know that the stats can get confusing when discussing the recent classes/dates of matriculation versus dates of application. So, I think that that statistic might be comparing the incoming class (as in the class that they just completed screening and accepting applicants for) in comparison to the quantity of applications for the class that just completed M1.

So you’re saying a 3K increase in apps for the 2018 cycle. 15k apps would mean that 1 in 3 applicants applied to Loyola (there’s about 45k total MD apps).

I was in a Loyola info session recently, and I can confirm this recent marked increase in the quantity of applications to Loyola (the bar graph representation of this statistic is crazy to see). I know that the stats can get confusing when discussing the recent classes/dates of matriculation versus dates of application. So, I think that that statistic might be comparing the incoming class (as in the class that they just completed screening and accepting applicants for) in comparison to the quantity of applications for the class that just completed M1.

So you’re saying a 3K increase in apps for the 2018 cycle. 15k apps would mean that 1 in 3 applicants applied to Loyola (there’s about 45k total MD apps).

That would also mean the msar isn’t accurate

Members don't see this ad :)
lol@having to pay the $95 fee before you're even allowed to see the prompts

• Sad
Reactions: 17 users

Same prompts as last year!

Our mission statement reflects the guiding principles of our institution. The Stritch School of Medicine is a home for all faiths, according to our Jesuit values. We believe that spirituality is an integral component of education, professional formation, and well-being. We value the opportunity to consider reflections of your own mission as it pertains to your candidacy and future professional goals. With your own personal mission in mind, please address each of the following questions (please limit your responses to 500 words or less):

1) Becoming a person for others is a core Jesuit value. What does this Jesuit ideal mean to you?
2) Please describe a personal or professional challenge or conflict that you have experienced. How did you resolve it? What skills, resources and/or strategies did you employ? DO NOT write about the MCAT, a course, or an academic issue.
3) How will you contribute to the diversity of the Stritch student body and community? Specifically, what unique traits, identities, experiences, skills and perspectives will you contribute?
4) Please use this space to bring the information in your AMCAS application up-to-date. Please indicate additional grades earned, alterations in your proposed coursework or graduation date, address changes, additions to your list of activities, and anything else you feel we should know. If you have not been enrolled in coursework, please let us know what you have been doing since coursework ended.
5) Have you or any of your relatives attended or been employed by Loyola University Chicago or the Loyola Stritch School of Medicine?

-OPTIONAL QUESTIONS-
6) Please use the space below to further explain anything in your application that may help us in our review of your candidacy-gaps or delays in education, academic missteps, or personal challenges not listed elsewhere, etc. (this response limited to 1500 characters)
7) Have you applied to Loyola Stritch School of Medicine prior to this application? If so, please list the years of your previous application submissions to Loyola SSOM.
8) Have you applied to any medical school prior to this year’s application? If so, please list the years of your previous application submissions to AMCAS. Please also tell us how your application has improved since your previous application.

...Just got their secondary... Just had to look up what Jesuits are...

Reactions: 10 users
Same prompts as last year!

-OPTIONAL QUESTIONS-

Thanks for posting these and allowing this broke person to work on the essays before paying lol I've spent too much money on secondaries this week!

Reactions: 2 users
I'm honestly furious that they're making you pay before even seeing the secondary prompts... just kind of a punch in the gut for those of us who are cash-strapped

Reactions: 3 users
I'm honestly furious that they're making you pay before even seeing the secondary prompts... just kind of a punch in the gut for those of us who are cash-strapped
On the bright side it’s not really a loss since you can find prompts on here

Secondary received

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was verified on June 25 and Loyola was on my school list
Thanks my status says

AMCAS has received your transcripts and your application is now in the queue for verification and processing. What it means ?

Thanks my status says

AMCAS has received your transcripts and your application is now in the queue for verification and processing. What it means ?
That means you're waiting to get verified by AMCAS (it usually takes 3-4 weeks or 6 weeks at peak). After you are verified, AMCAS will send your application to the schools that you indicated in your app, then you will receive secondary from them

That means you're waiting to get verified by AMCAS (it usually takes 3-4 weeks or 6 weeks at peak). After you are verified, AMCAS will send your application to the schools that you indicated in your app, then you will receive secondary from them
Do we need to get verified by AAMS to send applications to schools ?

Last edited:
Anyone have trouble submitting the secondary? When I hit "finalize" it said something like "there was a problem...contact *admissions phone number*" and then when I tried to log out and log back into the portal now it says "unfortunately we cannot find you in our database"...

Anyone have trouble submitting the secondary? When I hit "finalize" it said something like "there was a problem...contact *admissions phone number*" and then when I tried to log out and log back into the portal now it says "unfortunately we cannot find you in our database"...

I emailed them about that. Will post their answer once I have it

I emailed them about that. Will post their answer once I have it

Just tried again and it let me log in and told me my secondary was complete so hopefully it's fixed for everyone now

I saw the glitch too but if you login again you can see that it says the secondary is submitted !

Did anyone get the "Special Invitation to Apply to Loyola Stritch" email today? Not sure how I qualify because I am ORM but maybe they also consider SES? Also I'm not verified but they mentioned my MCAT score. Do schools have access to this information before you get verified.

Did anyone get the "Special Invitation to Apply to Loyola Stritch" email today? Not sure how I qualify because I am ORM but maybe they also consider SES? Also I'm not verified but they mentioned my MCAT score. Do schools have access to this information before you get verified.
I got email mentioned about MCAT score secondary fees waived for secondary.

I got email mentioned about MCAT score secondary fees waived for secondary.

Yep they mentioned that as well. Interesting. Definitely will be applying here! Still waiting on verification but I guess it's time for me to work on these secondary prompts

I got the email too. I'm confused because I'm not URM and I'm from Texas. I heard it could be pretty pointless to apply OOS.... could anybody tell me whether this "Special Invitation to Apply" actually means anything? I have barely done any research about the AMCAS process and fees and whatnot.

It's not a public school and they accept over half out of state. I think the secondary fee waiver means that you should apply- there's literally no harm. I'm just wondering why I got it and what does it signify.

I guess at this point I'm just still trying to figure out if I should apply OOS at all. Tuition in my state is only $10,000 a year, and my stats drop dramatically when I apply outside of Texas due to a state law about my early transfer credits from a Canadian uni. But that's a discussion for another thread.

Is there any current students on this thread that can talk about how they incorporate the Jesuit ideals into the curriculum? I am very religious and want to see if I would be a good fit here.

I also got the email about MCAT score and waived secondary fee.

Is there any current students on this thread that can talk about how they incorporate the Jesuit ideals into the curriculum? I am very religious and want to see if I would be a good fit here.
bump

Apparently the email was sent in error lol. Rip free secondary

I got the error email too. It actually really upset me because I've been considering Loyola for awhile. smh

lmao i got the error message too. Now theyre just messing with us.

I got the error email too. It actually really upset me because I've been considering Loyola for awhile. smh

Same here :( I assumed that I was listed in Med-MAR because they're considering SES (I'm white but low-income) - I guess not? My secondary was waived anyway because I received FAP, so I'm not worried about the money, but it felt nice thinking that they considered me competitive...