2011-2012 Georgetown Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i actually probably wouldn't do that...if i was admissions and saw other people sticking to 1" (which I'm sure there is, I know I am) I would just think u were trying to squeeze in w/e you could...although, it is not specified so you can technically do w/e you want

Disagree. They say 5000 characters for a reason. Only way to do that is with the standard half inch margins. And as always, if you have something to say, this cant hurt you. If you try to fit in BS within that limit, then this might be a problem, and would appear as if you were "trying to squeeze in w/e you could"

Members don't see this ad.

uh...is it just me or is 1 single spaced page of 12 pt font WAY LESS (like 3000 characters) than "5000 characters" -- wtf? what rule is everyone else following? i guess i could make the margins smaller?

Honestly, I would just do a page single-spaced rather than pay attention to the character limit. More isn't necessarily better unless you have something else meaningful to say.

Do you think it's worth it for me to submit a secondary with a 3.45 GPA and 31R MCAT? I have a ton of research and a thesis, poster presentation, about 650h of clinical experience and a bunch of other stuff. It's my reach school so I know it will be tough...I just want to know if I stand ANY chance?

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you think it's worth it for me to submit a secondary with a 3.45 GPA and 31R MCAT? I have a ton of research and a thesis, poster presentation, about 650h of clinical experience and a bunch of other stuff. It's my reach school so I know it will be tough...I just want to know if I stand ANY chance?

yes

Yes, definitely apply. I was really nervous during the application process last year as I had a 29R and 3.65 science GPA. However, my secondary for Georgetown was probably the best written, and I ended up with an interview. After my interview, I thought I did well but that my lower stats would preclude me from ever being accepted. Georgetown ended up being my first acceptance of the cycle. Proud to be a Hoya and am moving to DC on Friday to start school.

Thank you so much. I'm PMing you btw.

I'm applying with a 3.45 and a 30R. It is just time and whatever the secondary costs. After finishing 14 secondaries already I can't remember which ones cost what anymore.

Where are med school classes located? When I visited the campus, I noticed the hospital to the north, but no actual med school buildings...anyone know what I am talking about? Are they in the Medical and Dental Building?

Where are med school classes located? When I visited the campus, I noticed the hospital to the north, but no actual med school buildings...anyone know what I am talking about? Are they in the Medical and Dental Building?

Some are in Med Dent and some are in the Basic Sciences building just to the south, where the medical library is.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in a staff meeting right now. Can't believe I got the first round of IIs.

Congrats everyone!

I apologize if this is a stupid question, but do school send out interviews only to their "superstar" applicants first, and then make their way down?

I'm concerned that if I was complete on the first day possible and didn't get a first-round invite, am I screwed out of the cycle at that school or will they just take their time to getting to me (a mediocre applicant)--if at all?

Complete 7/15, and trust me, my stats aren't that great.

Thanks everyone. I'm not having the best luck with the Texas schools but this invite is so much better.

I picked the very first date: 8/29.

I was offered 8/29, 8/30, 8/31, 9/1, 9/6, 9/8, or 9/9.

Congrats everyone!

I apologize if this is a stupid question, but do school send out interviews only to their "superstar" applicants first, and then make their way down?

I'm concerned that if I was complete on the first day possible and didn't get a first-round invite, am I screwed out of the cycle at that school or will they just take their time to getting to me (a mediocre applicant)--if at all?

I wonder the same thing

Complete 7/15, and trust me, my stats aren't that great.

Thanks everyone. I'm not having the best luck with the Texas schools but this invite is so much better.

I picked the very first date: 8/29.

I was offered 8/29, 8/30, 8/31, 9/1, 9/6, 9/8, or 9/9.

Nice. I can tell you're very interested in Georgetown and it probably showed in your essay.

Ok, I'm back from yelling all around the neighborhood...:soexcited:

Now I'm outta breath....

First of all - thank you guys so much! I'm a non-traditional applicant, so this invite really validates for me everything I've worked for the past three years!

I was complete on 7/15.

Still deciding which interview date...we'll see.

Good luck to everyone else out there - man, I wanna go to this school!!!

I just signed up for August 31st. Would anyone be interested in splitting a hotel room at their Hotel & Conference Center (within walking distance) or the Holiday Inn (1 mile cab ride) for that interview? PM me.

Last edited:
Hey guys! Congrats on the interviews!

Just a quick question, did your application page update after the interview email? My email crashed and just wanted to make sure I can check these things out on our app pages. Thanks!

Hey guys! Congrats on the interviews!

Just a quick question, did your application page update after the interview email? My email crashed and just wanted to make sure I can check these things out on our app pages. Thanks!

Nah, nothing on my application page had changed when I went to upload my photo.

Interview invite this morning! Here's some info that might be helpful:

Submitted: 7/11
Complete: 7/15
Interview: 9/1
MCAT/GPA: 33/3.6

Good luck to everybody!

I'm curious to see if they hand out more tomorrow/early next week. I'm hoping they haven't gone through ALL of the first batch of complete applications yet. They do get a TON of apps, so it is possible. :xf:

I'm curious to see if they hand out more tomorrow/early next week. I'm hoping they haven't gone through ALL of the first batch of complete applications yet. They do get a TON of apps, so it is possible. :xf:

ditto, man. you and i have similar stats but i took the more pessimistic road lol

how do you check your status? i didnt get any e-mail regarding info for that!

Based on last year's thread, it looks like this early in the season they only released the interview invites each Thursday.

are you from california? how did you find out? (isnt their office closed by now?)

I found out a few days ago when everyone else did, but i was late to post on here lol... and i'm from Michigan =)

Are y'all with interviews going to the optional breakfast and optional lecture? I'm trying to figure out if I want to go.

Are y'all with interviews going to the optional breakfast and optional lecture? I'm trying to figure out if I want to go.

Having gone to it last year, I would say enjoy an extra free hour or so in the morning.

I hope Georgetown has a place to keep my bag while I'm at the interview day.

The breakfast - probably not, but the lecture sounds like a good idea! I want to see the lectures in action :)

So when I click on my application and go to GU SoM Post Submission Updtaes it says Interviewand then asks to insert a photograph, does this mean I got an interview? I havent gotten an email or anything stating as such. Just curious = )

So when I click on my application and go to GU SoM Post Submission Updtaes it says Interviewand then asks to insert a photograph, does this mean I got an interview? I havent gotten an email or anything stating as such. Just curious = )

It's always been there, I saw it immediately after submitting. I wish though :(

Status
Not open for further replies.