2011-2012 University of Florida Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
UF does over accept students. I called the admissions office last week to ask about waitlist movement. As of last week when I called I was told that there are still 155 people holding acceptances. The goal class size is 135 students. So he said 20 more students would have to withdraw before anyone would be moved from the waitlist. He suspects that most of the withdrawls will come on May 15th, but there is still no gurantee that they will need to go to the waitlist. Hopefully we will see some movement soon!:)
If you have 155 people and the desired class size is 135 and 20 people decline their acceptance you will have 135 which is the desired class size. You need over 20 to decline their acceptance for anyone to come off the wait list.

GOOD LUCK

Members don't see this ad.

Second Look was awesome!

Most of the stuff on Friday was just mingling, nothing new.

Saturday, the only really big news was about the new curriculum (which you might be able to find online now, not sure).

The changes:
only 1 1/2 years pre-clinical
Now organ systems based
3 preceptorships (which might have already been something UF did): Dec. and Spring first year, fall of second year
More time for clinical rotations
Internship 101 capstone course to prepare for residency at end of year 4

It sounded pretty great. They said they reduced redundancy and tried to make it more applicable to clinical practice.

That's too bad. I felt the redundancy ensured that the material stuck around for more than 2 weeks after the test.

Does anyone know what time exactly those who are on the Waitlist will hear about any movement?

Members don't see this ad :)
I was accepted off the waitlist this morning!

I was accepted off another waitlist about 2 weeks ago so now I have to make a decision between UF and the other school.

e-mail or phone?

and congrats to those who got in! i'm just crossing my fingers....blahhh.

just got the call and the email! excited, although darn this makes my decision more complicated! thrilled to have this opportunity though.

"That's too bad. I felt the redundancy ensured that the material stuck around for more than 2 weeks after the test"

Agreed. The redundant things are the the only things I remember :)

Could I please get some feedback as to the friendliness of the admissions staff. Also if anyone has taken advantage of UF's offer to review and discuss your application after being rejected I would like to know how things went. Thank You

Turned down my acceptance here for UCF. Good luck to those still waiting.

just got accepted today via phone and e-mail! best of luck to those still waiting!!

If anyone is interested in housing:

1 BR/1 BA condo for rent. Washer/dryer, 0.7miles from Shands situated behind Wildflower (easy walk or bike ride), balcony, GRU bill runs around $60 in the summer $25-30 in the winter, quiet area with horticulture PhD student below, nurse next door, and 2 other med students in the complex, new appliances. I've loved living here, but I'm moving into my soon to be wife's house (sugar momma :smuggrin:). The landlord is a great guy so I'm trying to do him a favor and find another tenet. Otherwise he is probably going to sell the place. $550/mo which is a pretty darn good deal for the location. Shoot me a PM if you're interested and want some pics or to come by and see the place.

Members don't see this ad :)
If anyone is interested in housing:

1 BR/1 BA condo for rent. Washer/dryer, 0.7miles from Shands situated behind Wildflower (easy walk or bike ride), balcony, GRU bill runs around $60 in the summer $25-30 in the winter, quiet area with horticulture PhD student below, nurse next door, and 2 other med students in the complex, new appliances. I've loved living here, but I'm moving into my soon to be wife's house (sugar momma :smuggrin:). The landlord is a great guy so I'm trying to do him a favor and find another tenet. Otherwise he is probably going to sell the place. $550/mo which is a pretty darn good deal for the location. Shoot me a PM if you're interested and want some pics or to come by and see the place.

I'm interested.

lol

Hi all. I am currently on the waitlist here and the one school I am accepted at starts within the next two weeks. I am from Florida and would love to stay here. I live in Gainesville, and was thinking about stopping by the Admissions office to just speak with someone in person, find out more about my current status, and further explain my situation. (maybe even get some indication if there is a possibility that I may come off the waitlist) I am sure there are many out there in similar situations. Do you think an office visit is a good idea? Would it help? Or can that be too much right now? Thanks! Any opinions are appreciated.

That was the exact situation I was in two years ago. Fortunately for me, I got the call as I was returning home from vacation. I had the intention to pack and move as soon as I got home.

At any rate, what do you have to lose? Explain your situation, and hope for the best. I'm certain everybody in admissions will be able to empathize.

At any rate, what do you have to lose? Explain your situation, and hope for the best. I'm certain everybody in admissions will be able to empathize.

I agree with Neatloaf. I don't think it could hurt you to talk to them and explain your situation. However, don't expect any miracles either, they may not be able to tell you anything new, but what have you got to lose?

That was the exact situation I was in two years ago. Fortunately for me, I got the call as I was returning home from vacation. I had the intention to pack and move as soon as I got home.

How late did you end up getting off the waitlist?

Do you think they are far into the waitlist at this point?

It was May 17th, I believe. I was due at FSU orientation on June 1st.
Ok, I guess that's not too bad, especially since FSU and UF are only a 2 hour drive apart, its not quite the logistics nightmare it would have been across states.

I am! I'm sitting at my new desk after an evening of unpacking. I decided to look through the old board and think about how long of a road it has been up to this point. Five days! It doesn't seem real yet. I actually got lost in Shands the over day trying to drop off my paperwork, and for a moment while wondering helplessly through the halls, I felt like a real medical student.

Status
Not open for further replies.