2012-2013 Baylor College of Medicine Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
^^ I am IS, 3.9+, 34. Quite a bit of research and clinical volunteer work.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
But if it goes back to "is being reviewed" it means you are about to get an II. That's what you really want!

Man you guys got their whole process down! I was just gonna wait for the email and but this makes me go back and check on my status: has been reviewed, submitted last week. No invites :( fingers crossed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I participated in the SMART program at BCM and fell in love! I am applying there, but low MCAT might be a problem. So I really want to make my secondary essay shine. Problem is, I feel like I had the opportunity to say everything I needed in the AMCAS app. Could you all give examples of what you wrote about? I have a few topics about overcoming obstacles, but they were discussed a bit in the app already.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would love to go to BCM too, but this is probably the least likely of all schools to accept me, which is impressive, but mostly since I'm OOS. However, I couldn't talk myself out of applying here! I think I would love it.

FWIW, I am also at "Has Been Reviewed"

I'm an OOS MS1 at BCM. It's definitely possible (there's a pretty sizeable chunk - I think about 30% - of the class that's OOS), so keep your hopes up! The school is definitely awesome, too. :thumbup:

Current MS1 here. Good luck to everyone applying and everyone coming here for interviews!

just switched to "is being reviewed". Fingers crossed!

My status is now has been reviewed. i dunno what to expect now.

status changed to "has been reviewed" today. now the waiting game begins :xf:

"is being reviewed" would probably mean they were currently looking at it. "Has been reviewed" probably means someone has already looked at it, and if you haven't gotten an invite, is either pending further review or a rejection. That's what I would assume. I'm also stuck at:

But if it goes back to "is being reviewed" it means you are about to get an II. That's what you really want!

I would really try to avoid looking at your status page. From my experience last year, it had absolutely nothing to do with whether or not you were going to receive an interview (went from "under review" to "reviewed" to "under review" at least 3 times, and then ended up receiving an invite when my application was still "under review"). I think y'all have much better things to stress out about :laugh:

I'm an OOS MS1 at BCM. It's definitely possible (there's a pretty sizeable chunk - I think about 30% - of the class that's OOS), so keep your hopes up! The school is definitely awesome, too. :thumbup:

Tell it like it is, Cinclus! We missed meeting you at the White Coat Ceremony. Well done, was it not?

Our family has liked EVERYTHING about BCM so far...even accepting the family's health coverage rather than insisting on the school's coverage ($3k/yr.).

I know of no other
all-in value like BCM, especially for OOSers.

Best of luck to you for your success and fulfillment there! :luck:

Tell it like it is, Cinclus! We missed meeting you at the White Coat Ceremony. Well done, was it not?

Our family has liked EVERYTHING about BCM so far...even accepting the family's health coverage rather than insisting on the school's coverage ($3k/yr.).

I know of no other
all-in value like BCM, especially for OOSers.

Best of luck to you for your success and fulfillment there! :luck:

This just made me so nervous and excited for the interview!

Anyone know the MCAT/GPA cutoffs for interview invites (roughly)?

There aren't any. They look at each app they get and review them holistically.

Perhaps, but intuitively it ineluctably helps to be near 3.80 and 33... :luck:

http://www.bcm.edu/medschool/snapshot.html

Stats on the 2010 entering class (latest posted @ BCM web site):

Average undergrad GPA : 3.80
Average MCAT : 11.04 (33.12)
Percent Women 41%
Percent Under. Minor. 19%
Tx residents ~75%

Note: the commonly published stat for
MCAT average is the ACCEPTED Aver.,
NOT the MATRICULATED average...that
figure is considerably higher

In terms of ACCEPTED averages, BCM
is VERY high on the food chain:

http://www.studentdoc.com/top-10-medical-schools.html

Last edited:
For those of you going to the August interview, did all of you who requested student housing managed to get it?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone Interviewing on August 24th? I had to switch my date, but if anyone here is going, let me know how it goes!

For those that received interview invites, when did you submit your secondary application?

Perhaps, but intuitively it ineluctably helps to be near 3.80 and 33... :luck:

http://www.bcm.edu/medschool/snapshot.html

Stats on the 2010 entering class (latest posted @ BCM web site):

Average undergrad GPA : 3.80
Average MCAT : 11.04 (33.12)
Percent Women 41%
Percent Under. Minor. 19%
Tx residents ~75%

Note: the commonly published stat for
MCAT average is the ACCEPTED Aver.,
NOT the MATRICULATED average...that
figure is considerably higher

In terms of ACCEPTED averages, BCM
is VERY high on the food chain:

http://www.studentdoc.com/top-10-medical-schools.html

Class of 2012 Stats:
GPA: ~3.83
MCAT: 11.5 (34.5)

Here's to hoping Baylor sends out interview invites tomorrow! :)

Last edited:
Do you guys think applying to baylor would be a waste of time at this point? (3.84 / 33 URM)??? I do have FAP so it would only cost $50, but two of my transcripts still haven't been received by AMCAS

Do you guys think applying to baylor would be a waste of time at this point? (3.84 / 33 URM)??? I do have FAP so it would only cost $50, but two of my transcripts still haven't been received by AMCAS

So you haven't been verified yet?

So you haven't been verified yet?

No, I haven't been. Still waiting on one transcript. I wasn't planning on applying through AMCAS (texas resident/TMDSAS) since baylor would be the only school I'd be applying to, but I just received FAP. Now, I'm wondering if it's too late since AMCAS processing is SO slow. What do you think?

Hey y'all, congrats to everyone coming to interview this Friday, I'll be seeing you there at lunch!

Texas Resident here as well and I am pretty sure you can only apply to Baylor through AMCAS and not through TMDSAS. And rly baylor is the only school you're applying to? what about other Texas schools? UT southwestern, UT houston, UTSA etc. ? I just think it's kinda pointless applying to only one school.

Hey y'all, congrats to everyone coming to interview this Friday, I'll be seeing you there at lunch!

Thanks! I'm already so nervous. :scared: Packing my stuff now. I'm really excited to see the school though!

Current MS1 here. I just want to say to all the applicants that I have been continually amazed at the quality of the instruction and instructors at Baylor. The instructors obviously really care about teaching, the faculty and administration really care about the students' well-being, and my classmates are just awesome. Everyone coming for an interview is in for a treat. I love this place. :)

See some of you on Friday!

Thanks! I'm already so nervous. :scared: Packing my stuff now. I'm really excited to see the school though!

I think being a bit nervous is a good thing, as long as it comes across that you're excited to be here. Good luck!

Interview Invite :D!! Complete around 07/15. Stats in MDApps. OOS.

Last edited:
waiting for IIs suck...I wish my application didn't suck.

I had an interview at uth on 9/21, so I rescheduled for 10/19.

Good luck to those interviewing tomorrow! Just relax and you'll do great! Also, +1 on BCM being aaaaaaaammmmmmmaaaaaazing. :thumbup:

Hi kind folks,

I have a small question about the secondary. On the 2000 characters limit, is that 2000 characters without spaces or with?

So is there a current student that can talk about Baylor's day-to-day schedule? The three Texas schools I have been to so far have around only 4-5 hours of class time a day, while Baylor has 8 like everyday...Is all of this time valuable, or does it get to be kind of a drag?

So is there a current student that can talk about Baylor's day-to-day schedule? The three Texas schools I have been to so far have around only 4-5 hours of class time a day, while Baylor has 8 like everyday...Is all of this time valuable, or does it get to be kind of a drag?

I just interviewed at Baylor today and from what they told us, they definitely dont have 8 a day. It's more like 4 hours each morning and then one day a week there is a pbl class that lasts about 2 hours and then another afternoon is a practice of medicine class. Fairly similar to the other Texas schools I've interviewed at except there's an emphasis on lectures vs pbl. I was really impressed by the 18 month preclinical curriculum. All the students seemed really happy!

I just interviewed at Baylor today and from what they told us, they definitely dont have 8 a day. It's more like 4 hours each morning and then one day a week there is a pbl class that lasts about 2 hours and then another afternoon is a practice of medicine class. Fairly similar to the other Texas schools I've interviewed at except there's an emphasis on lectures vs pbl. I was really impressed by the 18 month preclinical curriculum. All the students seemed really happy!

I can discuss based on the 4 weeks of classes we've had, and emystar is right on point. Lectures from 8-12 each morning (once or twice a week we have anatomy lab from 10-12, and two fewer lectures). We have IPS (basically PBL) either Monday or Tuesday from 1- about 3:30ish, and PPS (early clinical type of stuff) on Wednesdays from 1-4ish.

PBL is definitely not emphasized and I would characterize it as very much an afterthought to our other classes.

I will say though that while officially the schedule is 8-12 for 3 days of the week, people usually stay longer in practice. Second years run "Anatomy Buddies", which are basically anatomy review/practice/tutoring sessions usually in the late afternoon, and most first years will attend at least once a week. We also have a practice anatomy practical most Friday afternoons. These are completely optional but most of us choose to go because they're VERY helpful.

In addition, we can sign up for electives that take place during the lunch hour (12-1). We need a certain number of elective credits to graduate, and they basically consist of listening to a presentation on a topic related to medicine but not covered during our normal classes. Usually a free lunch is provided also! First block the most popular electives are "Compassion and the Art of Medicine" and another elective about the structure of the healthcare system.

Anyways, I'm really happy with Baylor so far and I think most of my classmates feel the same way!

the 18 month curriculum is awesome :)

Thanks for the responses. On the website it basically says 8-12 and 1-5 everyday and that is what I heard quoted to me from other students that interviewed there in years past. Maybe the curriculum has been changed slightly?

Hey for those of you guys that interviewed yesterday, how was the process? Anything you didn't except? Also what time did everything finish?

Hey for those of you guys that interviewed yesterday, how was the process? Anything you didn't except? Also what time did everything finish?

Baylor is awesome, and it's super nice that the day doesn't start until noon. Some of the interviewees attended a morning class though so you do have that option. I will say that the day itself was a little less organized than the other ones I've been too. You'll most likely have to squeeze in the basic science tour in between your two interviews and mine was a little rushed for time because of that.

Be prepared to pay for parking. I think it cost $11 for the day. If there was a free place to park, I missed it but feel free to correct me on that point.

The official day lasted until about 5 but there was an option to go on a tour of Texas Medical Center if you are not familiar with it. I think they said that would last about an hour.

Most people I talked to had really positive interviews though some seemed harder than others. They seemed to match both my interviewers to my interests but maybe that was just luck! Overall though no one seemed too stressed about how the actual interview went!

Question...... I have good stats (36, sci and cum 3.96+, good clinical ECs), but no research (and OOS). I would love to get in here....do you guys think having no research is a death blow here (looking at you, Mayo....)?

Question...... I have good stats (36, sci and cum 3.96+, good clinical ECs), but no research (and OOS). I would love to get in here....do you guys think having no research is a death blow here (looking at you, Mayo....)?

I dunno what anyone else's experience has been with this, but I have pretty much no research (besides one casual semester in a psychology lab), and I interviewed there yesterday. I'm also OOS, with a 34 and cum 3.9. So... hopefully it won't end up being a death blow? But I at least made it to the interview stage!

I dunno what anyone else's experience has been with this, but I have pretty much no research (besides one casual semester in a psychology lab), and I interviewed there yesterday. I'm also OOS, with a 34 and cum 3.9. So... hopefully it won't end up being a death blow? But I at least made it to the interview stage!

Hmm....well, congrats on your interview!

no. research is not a requirement and shouldn't be a death blow

I had to reschedule my interview for 10/19. I am OOS (4.0 35M). I know first acceptances are sent out on 10/15. Will I be at a disadvantage interviewing so late, especially as an OOS?

I had to reschedule my interview for 10/19. I am OOS (4.0 35M). I know first acceptances are sent out on 10/15. Will I be at a disadvantage interviewing so late, especially as an OOS?

it is always an advantage to interview as early as possible since that means your file/app will be considered/reviewed more frequently. that being said, i interviewed in mid-late january and things turned out ok for me.

Hi all. Do you remember if Baylor's secondary has a question about convicted of/charged with something? I recently discovered that I have a dismissed charge in my record (which I thought had not gone to my record at all), and I may have to contact the school to explain what happen IF there is such a question in the secondary. I submitted my secondary on 8/10 and I can't see what the questions were, I can just see a message saying that my application is being reviewed. Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.