2012-2013 Baylor College of Medicine Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can any current medical student be kind as to tell me if Baylor is receptive to applications from non-canadian international students? If so, mind saying how many of your classmates are from this category? According to a source, no international student was interviewed but 1 matriculated 2 years ago which makes no sense at all. Appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad.

I have read the theory floating around that if this is the case, an II could be on its way. Not sure if this is true at all. Your story would seem to confirm the theory a bit.
And BTW, congrats!

Yeah, that seems to be the case. And thanks! :D

good luck to everyone interviewing this Friday!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Can any current medical student be kind as to tell me if Baylor is receptive to applications from non-canadian international students? If so, mind saying how many of your classmates are from this category? According to a source, no international student was interviewed but 1 matriculated 2 years ago which makes no sense at all. Appreciate it.

I know a student from Mexico, but I don't know his immigration status. I'll ask when I see him.

Last edited:
Interview tomorrow. How stupid would I look if I wore tennis shoes during the tour? Should I do it?

Interview tomorrow. How stupid would I look if I wore tennis shoes during the tour? Should I do it?

I would not wear tennis shoes. If you wear them during the tour, I don't know how you would have time to change into anything else before the interview. If you have a good or funny reason why you're wearing them, however, it might be a nice ice breaker during the interview. Maybe.

Excited to interview tomorrow! Baylor looks awesome.

I would not wear tennis shoes. If you wear them during the tour, I don't know how you would have time to change into anything else before the interview. If you have a good or funny reason why you're wearing them, however, it might be a nice ice breaker during the interview. Maybe.

I thought the big tour was after all interviews? Anyway, I got some comfortable shoes that fit in my tote I can just slide on so I'm going to do that instead. Thanks.

what's more silly?.....looking funny wearing tennis shoes with a suit or having blisters on your heels/feet when you could have prevented them? ;)

...i think it would be perfectly fine to bring along a pair of comfortable walking shoes. many people who interview here do and, in fact, we recommend it

it only takes a minute or two to put on a pair of shoes....just put 'em on for your tour and switch back to your more formal shoes for your interviews

Excited to interview tomorrow! Baylor looks awesome.

have fun! :)

Anyway, I got some comfortable shoes that fit in my tote I can just slide on so I'm going to do that instead.

:thumbup:

Last edited:
what's more silly?.....looking funny wearing tennis shoes with a suit or having blisters on your heels/feet when you could have prevented them? ;)

...i think it would be perfectly fine to bring along a pair of comfortable walking shoes. many people who interview here do and, in fact, we recommend it

it only takes a minute or two to put on a pair of shoes....just put 'em on for your tour and switch back to your more formal shoes for your interviews

have fun! :)

:thumbup:

Very true! I clearly have not put much thought into the matter. Being a girl sounds complicated :p

I thought the big tour was after all interviews? Anyway, I got some comfortable shoes that fit in my tote I can just slide on so I'm going to do that instead. Thanks.

For my interview the big tour was after all of the interviews had been completed. They did an "academic tour" of the classrooms and study areas in between interviews but it was very very short with minimal walking.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have decent GPA and MCAT score without leadership experience. Is leadership experience mandatory for admission to Baloy's MD program?

no but it is always a plus to have leadership experience.

Anyone know how many acceptances go out on or around Oct. 15th? Out of how many interviewed?

Related question: for people who got accepted last year, who interviewed early (like September), but didn't get a call in Oct., when did the acceptance come?

Anyone know how many acceptances go out on or around Oct. 15th? Out of how many interviewed?

Related question: for people who got accepted last year, who interviewed early (like September), but didn't get a call in Oct., when did the acceptance come?

Historically, not many go out Oct 15th. It's more of a trickle until the interview season is over. Most of the class gets accepted in the spring. At least that's the way it's worked in the recent past.

During my interview I asked one of the current student ambassadors and he told me that very very few come out in the week of October 15th. He said that their goal was to make sure that hypothetically the last group of interviewees in February have enough seats left so all of them could get accepted if they were the best candidates to fill the seats.

This is just what I was told during my interview no research into this or anything.

During my interview I asked one of the current student ambassadors and he told me that very very few come out in the week of October 15th. He said that their goal was to make sure that hypothetically the last group of interviewees in February have enough seats left so all of them could get accepted if they were the best candidates to fill the seats.

This is just what I was told during my interview no research into this or anything.

That's what I heard too, but on last year's thread there were some people who got it that week or a week later. Idk what percentage of the interviewees are SDN but I was expecting at least maybe 30 acceptances that week?

Does anyone know what days of the week they have interviews? Thanks

I know a student from Mexico, but I don't know his immigration status. I'll ask when I see him.

So I asked him, and it turns out he has dual citizenship.

II a few minutes ago! I was complete 8/13 and went from a complete status to "under review" a week ago.

I just checked my status, it says "has been reviewed", anyone knows what this means?

I was complete 8/21.

Thanks!

I just checked my status, it says "has been reviewed", anyone knows what this means?

I was complete 8/21.

Thanks!

Same status here. Completed 9/24. Would like to know as well.

Same status here. Completed 9/24. Would like to know as well.

The general consensus on this thread and previous years' threads has been that after your status has changed to "has been reviewed", if it changes again to "is being reviewed", that indicates an impending interview invitation. If your status stays "has been reviewed", it doesn't mean anything.

The general consensus on this thread and previous years' threads has been that after your status has changed to "has been reviewed", if it changes again to "is being reviewed", that indicates an impending interview invitation. If your status stays "has been reviewed", it doesn't mean anything.

...except that it's been reviewed.

Congrats to those of you who recently got invited to interview! BCM's a fantastic school.

Any thoughts about acceptances this Monday?

I'm hoping many of the schools who have October 15 primary submission deadlines are going to "finish" with their current pack of applicants and then offer us slow-pokes an interview *crosses fingers* (verified 9/6)

Any current students know if acceptances start going out today? At my interview back in August, they specifically said that some acceptances would go out on the 15th, but from looking at previous year's threads it seems like they might not start calling until next week. Did they give anyone who interviewed in the last couple of weeks any indication?

Any current students know if acceptances start going out today? At my interview back in August, they specifically said that some acceptances would go out on the 15th, but from looking at previous year's threads it seems like they might not start calling until next week. Did they give anyone who interviewed in the last couple of weeks any indication?

Last year Oct 15th was on the weekend, hence the delay.

Their admissions dates page here: http://www.bcm.edu/admissions/index.cfm?pmid=2163 says that acceptances will start going on on the 16th.

During my interview they said that it will be starting the week of the 15th but if nothing happens ON the 15th not to freak out because it is possible they start a couple days into the week.

I'm assuming no one got a call yet?

While you guys wait for your acceptance calls - any indication of when rejections for people who have been reviewed will come out? I haven't had a status change in a month or two now from that, and being OOS, would kind of like to hear back so I stop wishing I'd get an interview. ;)

While you guys wait for your acceptance calls - any indication of when rejections for people who have been reviewed will come out? I haven't had a status change in a month or two now from that, and being OOS, would kind of like to hear back so I stop wishing I'd get an interview. ;)

Don't think you'll get a rejection until they send out the last round of invites.

BCM sends out very few pre or post interview rejections until like May when the matriculating class approaches capacity.

Feel free to post your stat if you got accepted today! We all wanna know what it takes to be the cream of the crop

Feel slightly weird that I'm still hoping for an interview invite while others are starting to wait for acceptances already! Eek.

I got an II from Baylor last week. There's still hope :)

Status
Not open for further replies.