2013-2014 Medical College of Wisconsin

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did your status on the app webpage update? Small pooled around the time you were and nothing's changed. :(
The secondary app site? The "Status" section never changed for me and hasn't provided any useful information... Sorry, and hopefully you hear some good news soon

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
waitlisted after my interview 2 weeks ago

Members don't see this ad :)
just got the II for waitlist today after being small pooled in late sept.

Whelp, II here as well (received yesterday), not really feelin' the whole "tryout for second place" bit but HEY at least they're honest! Probably withdrawing, best of luck, all!

Whelp, II here as well (received yesterday), not really feelin' the whole "tryout for second place" bit but HEY at least they're honest! Probably withdrawing, best of luck, all!

when were you small-pooled?

thanks

Withdrew my II today. Good luck everyone!

There are no flights leaving Milwaukee on Friday night after 6pm to my hometown. The host program is only one night, which means booking a hotel... which means a whole lot of money for a waitlist interview :x Decisions...

There are no flights leaving Milwaukee on Friday night after 6pm to my hometown. The host program is only one night, which means booking a hotel... which means a whole lot of money for a waitlist interview :x Decisions...

While hotels in downtown Milwaukee might cost a fair bit, if you look for something in Brookfield or Wauwatosa (which is where MCW is anyway), they probably arent that expensive at all... especially since the Brewers arent in season and its not around a major holiday :)

Waitlisted today. Not surprised because I had two really weak interviews. Interestingly, I had one interviewer ask me about why I took a summer physics course at an extension (it was close to home and my summer job). Based on the tone and timing of the question in the interview I felt like I was being accused of dodging the more difficult version of the course at my undergrad institution. I was also asked to explain Ws on my transcript, which isn't that strange I guess. I just hadn't been asked that in my other 7 interviews. I bring up the other 7 because I would have thought that if Ws were an issue they would have been brought up earlier. My other interview was bad enough that I ended up entering a post in the "Worst Interview Answers" thread haha. I am just glad I didn't get rejected!

I really liked the school, but I felt the tone of my interviews was far less conversational than comparable schools. I really felt like my file had been gone through with a fine toothed comb to find and discuss weak points rather than strong points. It was a valuable learning experience at least.

I had the exact same experience, & also wait listed. I felt as if the decision was made before I walked in the door. No smiling, Q&A format, non-conversational, etc. The first question was "tell me about a time you've demonstrated honesty and integrity". I was thinking, really? Aren't we honest everyday? I was expecting "tell me about yourself and your interests outside of school" like my previous interviews...but I was not asked this ONCE! At the end, my interviewer asked me if there was anything else that I thought that they should know...so I was finally able to tell them about myself and where I come from and why I aspire to be a physician.

Great school and a top choice for me, but I was disappointed with my interview experience. Not to mention my tour guide didn't crack a smile once...

Does anyone know where we're supposed to send our credit reports? Is it to the admin or financial aid office? Also, can we email it instead of mailing it in?

Does anyone know where we're supposed to send our credit reports? Is it to the admin or financial aid office? Also, can we email it instead of mailing it in?
You can email it to financial aid.

Members don't see this ad :)
First post here. I got small pooled today. (Primary submitted on 8/24; AMCAS verified on 10/09; Secondary submitted on 10/13). My stats for those who are interested: OOS, 33 MCAT, 3.71 GPA.

Small Pooled today. Not sure what this means? Does MCW send any pre-interview rejections?

Can anyone please tell me a bit about the new Discovery curriculum? (I tried searching through the forums to find an answer before asking this time!) I tend to prefer lectures and independent studying over group work, so I was specifically wondering how much time is spent doing group work vs. lectures/independent studying. What are the group activities like (How many people are in them, what is asked, how are you evaluated, etc.)? Do you think this new curriculum still prepares students well for Step 1 (although I guess no one in this curriculum has taken Step 1 yet)?

Thanks in advance for any input!

Can anyone please tell me a bit about the new Discovery curriculum? (I tried searching through the forums to find an answer before asking this time!) I tend to prefer lectures and independent studying over group work, so I was specifically wondering how much time is spent doing group work vs. lectures/independent studying. What are the group activities like (How many people are in them, what is asked, how are you evaluated, etc.)? Do you think this new curriculum still prepares students well for Step 1 (although I guess no one in this curriculum has taken Step 1 yet)?

Thanks in advance for any input!

Lecture/independent study >>> group work

We spend maybe one or two sessions per week doing group work and it's not bad at all. It's usually not stuff that's going to show up on exams so all of your knowledge will be coming from the lecture material. The schedule allows for a lot of independent time so I wouldn't worry there.

Group activities are usually in groups that range from 6-12ish people, I would say. Anatomy groups are 5-6 students whereas standardized patient interactions will be in groups of 10-12 students. Other activities like case studies or concept mapping or whatever else are usually in groups of 8. All of these groups are assigned and you're evaluated based on the activity/class. It could be based on "clicker" questions, a short quiz, a patient note, etc. PM if you have more questions so I can make sure I get to them!

Small Pooled today. Not sure what this means? Does MCW send any pre-interview rejections?

Read earlier in the thread. :)
Small pool is a step before II. As of now, they've been interviewing for wait list spots which is still a good place to be.

How large are the interview groups per day? I wonder how many people they are interviewing for waitlist spots.

How large are the interview groups per day? I wonder how many people they are interviewing for waitlist spots.

From reading previous posts in this thread, they interview ~60 students per day. In the email I received, I was offered 2/21 and 3/7 as dates for the waitlist. Someone in this thread mentioned that administration was looking for tour guides for three dates. If we assume that they're only interviewing on 2/21, 3/7, plus 1 more day, there could be as many as 180 students interviewing for the waitlist. Someone else mentioned that they wait list about 5-10 students per 60 students interviewed at the "normal" interviews. I found 9 known interview dates plus 1 early decision day while scrolling through this thread, so there could be as many as 90+180=270 students total on this waitlist, assuming that no one withdraws from the waitlist. This is how I considered it.

From reading previous posts in this thread, they interview ~60 students per day. In the email I received, I was offered 2/21 and 3/7 as dates for the waitlist. Someone in this thread mentioned that administration was looking for tour guides for three dates. If we assume that they're only interviewing on 2/21, 3/7, plus 1 more day, there could be as many as 180 students interviewing for the waitlist. Someone else mentioned that they wait list about 5-10 students per 60 students interviewed at the "normal" interviews. I found 9 known interview dates plus 1 early decision day while scrolling through this thread, so there could be as many as 90+180=270 students total on this waitlist, assuming that no one withdraws from the waitlist. This is how I considered it.

This is assuming they dont reject anyone on any of the next three interview days... highly unlikely. Just because you show up to the interview doesnt mean you automatically get a spot on the waitlist. Also lots of people withdraw from waitlists after gaining acceptances, in fact just a few days ago i believe two people posted in this thread that they were waitlisted and withdrew. That said, good luck yall!

Just called the admissions office since I couldn't find a schedule on their website, and per the nice secretary the last round of invites will go out end of March for interviews in April. She didn't specify whether this was for the waitlist, but I'm guessing they all are. If the adcom is investing this much time in rounding out their waitlist, I'm guessing they expect some activity from it. My 2 cents.

Is it true that mcw requires you to have an iPad during medical school?

Withdrawing after small pool 8/22 and II on 2/6/14. Good luck everyone!

During my interview, Jen said yes. We do need an iPad. And they didn't say anything about supplying one for us. But yay, one more thing to buy. :p

That would suck if you're not into crApple products.
I wonder if they allow students to use Nexus 7 or Surface tablets (or any Android/Windows tablets for that matter) instead of iPads. I hope they do anyway

I found this on their site. Looks like there are required apps which may be iPad only

http://www.mcw.edu/FileLibrary/User/facdev/Required_RecommendedApps2013.pdf
Nice find! Those apps look absolutely awful though haha Netter's is available on Google Play but the app also looks bad (and really expensive), and there are molecule making replacement apps available. It'd probably be doable to skip the iPad, but it might be awkward being the only one without one.
I haven't even gone to my MCW interview yet (let alone even being accepted) so I dunno why I'm looking into this haha

Yea everyone is required to have an iPad. Android products are no bueno here, unfortunately..

We don't have to do anything to arrange for a student host besides saying that we wanted one when confirming for the interview...right? Just making sure that I don't show up to my interview the night before with no place to stay!

We don't have to do anything to arrange for a student host besides saying that we wanted one when confirming for the interview...right? Just making sure that I don't show up to my interview the night before with no place to stay!
Yep. You will be paired up with your host at the end of the social the night before.

Yes. MCW requires ipads for all students. In the incoming year, M1s will likely be using their ipads on exams such as the anatomy lab practical

Has anyone accepted on 1/31 received their acceptance packet yet?

Has anyone accepted on 1/31 received their acceptance packet yet?
Yes, a few days after being accepted.

I would call them since the deposit is due before the end of this month. I already sent mine in and they confirmed receipt via email.

Small pooled just now. LizzyM 69.9, complete 11/05. I doubt I'll be offered an interview but If I am, aren't they only interviewing for the WL right now? Can someone comment as to how much the WL at MCW moves? I'm too lazy to sift through old threads. I am WLed at one school and waiting to hear back from another post-interview. Would it be advantageous for me to accept an interview in my situation (I know, it is a dumb, subjective question)? Thanks in advance!

Small pooled just now. LizzyM 69.9, complete 11/05. I doubt I'll be offered an interview but If I am, aren't they only interviewing for the WL right now? Can someone comment as to how much the WL at MCW moves? I'm too lazy to sift through old threads. I am WLed at one school and waiting to hear back from another post-interview. Would it be advantageous for me to accept an interview in my situation (I know, it is a dumb, subjective question)? Thanks in advance!
I was small pooled as well! Congratz.

yes all interviews from here on out are for an alternative spot

Out of curiosity, how do you know that they are all for WL spots at this point?
Does the adcom advise you of that in an II? Just seems as though they should tell you that before you spend the time and money to fly out there if it's not for an actual seat in the class.

Out of curiosity, how do you know that they are all for WL spots at this point?
Does the adcom advise you of that in an II? Just seems as though they should tell you that before you spend the time and money to fly out there if it's not for an actual seat in the class.
Yes, it is explicitly stated in the II communication. Once MCW goes into WL interview mode, all subsequent interview dates are the same.

Question to current MCW students familiar with the summer research for med students:

How competitive is it? What criteria do they use to choose applicants? Is it a good idea to get "in" with a researcher in order to be placed? If yes, how does one best accomplish this w/o becoming "that" student? Do you get put wherever they decide to put you if selected or is there somewhat of an attempt to place the student in his/her preferred area of interest? This isn't strictly bench research also I assume. Any details welcome. Just looking ahead as I'm a for sure MCW M-1 for c/o 2018. Thanks in advance. I have also looked extensively at the information online for the program but first hand information is always better!

Question to current MCW students familiar with the summer research for med students:

How competitive is it? What criteria do they use to choose applicants? Is it a good idea to get "in" with a researcher in order to be placed? If yes, how does one best accomplish this w/o becoming "that" student? Do you get put wherever they decide to put you if selected or is there somewhat of an attempt to place the student in his/her preferred area of interest? This isn't strictly bench research also I assume. Any details welcome. Just looking ahead as I'm a for sure MCW M-1 for c/o 2018. Thanks in advance. I have also looked extensively at the information online for the program but first hand information is always better!

Sphenoid, as a current student everyone I know who is doing research had no problem getting to work with who they wanted. The projects available really depends on what faculty here are already working on, and even then many will support you if you want to branch off with your own project. It's not a matter of applying, you talk with different faculty until you find a good fit, something both parties can be excited about. Funding is not always guaranteed, but it seems like almost everyone does get funded. The exception being research/projects abroad -> funding for those definitely is competitive.

If you are going MD/PhD that is something else entirely, I can't speak to that. One more thing - watch the deadlines :)

Thanks, cocoapelli! That helps tremendously. I'm not going MD/PhD, "just" MD for me! So, I am just solely looking for options to get more experience over summer, make connections, and maybe make some $, too. I am a local and I have to stick around town for other reasons, so I wouldn't be able to do work abroad, though it's nice to know such projects exist even if funding is highly competitive. At any rate, it's nice to know the options are relatively open and available with MCW researchers on or near campus. :)

MC to Courtney at yesterday's MCW interview, I wish I would have gotten your number. I hope you get in!

Also, good luck to the people I met yesterday, you were all really nice and I think you'd make great doctors.

MCW is awesome!