2013-2014 University of Texas - Southwestern Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does it really matter what classes we claim for the "specify the credits"? Because, if they are looking grade-wise, I would rather put my higher-level coursework in than my lower-level coursework because it looks much better that I have an A in Neuro lab than a B in Bio lab :)

they are asking for the required coursework.
bio1
bio2
physics1
physics2
ochem1
ochem2
chem1
chem2

and all the corresponding labs.

Members don't see this ad.

Interview Invite for September 28! Just received an email.

OOS

Members don't see this ad :)
Interview invite for September 28.

OOS, No Tx ties. Let's do this!

II for Sept 7th!

Ha! It looks like they are giving interviews in the descending order of stats.

Ah! Got the complete email on 7/5. I really want an II from here!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Me too! Not complete yet. Don't know how this happened!
If "complete" means everything submitted, included secondaries and LORs. TMDSAS was processed early July.

As it turns out, you actually can change your interview date in the MyGateWay system, which is very nice. But my scheduled date (9/14) works best for me any way.

Stats: 38 MCAT/3.95 cGPA/4.00 sGPA, very non-trad.

Last edited:
As it turns out, you actually can change your interview date in the MyGate system, which is very nice. But my scheduled date (9/14) works best for me any way.

Stats: 38 MCAT/3.95 cGPA/4.00 sGPA, very non-trad.

Good god :eek:

:D

Don't worry guys. Like I said, it seems like they started sending IIs to people with higher stats first (something most schools seem to do anyway). People with somewhat lower stats will be getting their IIs any time now - after all, average MCAT of accepted UTSW students is 34 or 35, I don't remember what their average GPA is, - which means that half the people they accept have stats below that.
Plus, if it's of any help to anybody, as far as I know, UTSW has a soft spot for URMs and disadvantaged socioeconomic backgrounds.

:D

Don't worry guys. Like I said, it seems like they started sending IIs to people with higher stats first (something most schools seem to do anyway). People with somewhat lower stats will be getting their IIs any time now - after all, average MCAT of accepted UTSW students is 34 or 35, I don't remember what their average GPA is, - which means that half the people they accept have stats below that.
Plus, if it's of any help to anybody, as far as I know, UTSW has a soft spot for URMs and disadvantaged socioeconomic backgrounds.

Their median is 3.8/34

I really like this school as well.
If I hear back from this school it should be late september-october.

Interview invite for 9/28 received 8/8. Secondary submitted 7/11.

3.95, 35. OOS.

Their median is 3.8/34

I really like this school as well.
If I hear back from this school it should be late september-october.
This is absolutely unscientific, but I have a gut feeling you're going to hear back from them sooner :)

This is absolutely unscientific, but I have a gut feeling you're going to hear back from them sooner :)

Im just going off what you said that they go down the pile from High GPA/High MCAT to Lower GPA/ High MCAT.

I hope your gut is right! They also hand out generous scholarships and need based aid.

Got an II for 9/14, but I have Baylor the day before, so I switched to 9/7 and the 9/6 Friday afternoon bit.

I decided not to do the rounds portion. Hopefully they won't hold that against me, lol.

...and if you didn't look at my MDApps, 4.0/35/IS/trad/non-URM

Hey does anyone know more about the clinical rounds on the Friday before the interview day? Sounds like a great experience to meet faculty, medical students, and to see the facilities.

I also received an II on 8/8. Very excited since it's my first II!
TMDSAS transmitted 07/29
stats: OOS 3.91/35 balanced/traditional/non-URM

I haven't completed the secondary yet, though, so this was a nice surprise checking my email on my phone before taking a nap earlier in the day.

Question: Does anyone know by when we can change the interview date? Although I'm OOS, I am as willing to go to TX as I am to stay in my home state for a variety of reasons. Hence, I applied to 5 TX state schools and also to Baylor. I ask because isn't it true that TX state schools give out most of their II's during August? And what about Baylor? By the way, I am not AMCAS verified yet (submitted 07/03 so expecting it to be another 7-10 days).

Also, I haven't yet read the documentation that came in the email or checked out the website (going to do that tomorrow). Sorry if any of my questions are easily answered otherwise (probably that first one).

Much thanks in advance to anyone who can answer some of my questions. :)

Last edited:
Hey guys!! MS4 here... Glad to answer questions about the school!

They started doing the rounds about halfway through my interview season, so I didn't get to go, but my understanding is that they are really useful to get a feel for what we're about as a school and if there's anyway you can go, you should. BUT if you can't go, they will not hold it against you. To me, the basic sciences are great, but the clinical experiences are the real gem of the program. There truly is no place like Parkland. If you can make it for the rounds, you might get a little taste of that, but if you can't, don't worry about.

Let me know if y'all have any other questions!

Thanks for your insight KTD. I was wondering about signing up for the rounds and with your advice I'm going to go for it. If anyone else has advice on the subject I'd be happy to have it.

They started doing the rounds about halfway through my interview season, so I didn't get to go, but my understanding is that they are really useful to get a feel for what we're about as a school and if there's anyway you can go, you should. BUT if you can't go, they will not hold it against you. To me, the basic sciences are great, but the clinical experiences are the real gem of the program. There truly is no place like Parkland. If you can make it for the rounds, you might get a little taste of that, but if you can't, don't worry about.

Thanks for the info, KTD!

MSAR says out of 750 IS applicants interviewed in 2012, 195 matriculated. I was wondering if you had any rough idea about what percentage of the in-state applicants interviewed actually receive an acceptance offer?

Thanks for the info, KTD!

MSAR says out of 750 IS applicants interviewed in 2012, 195 matriculated. I was wondering if you had any rough idea about what percentage of the in-state applicants interviewed actually receive an acceptance offer?

Honestly, I don't really have any idea. It probably varies each year depending on how many students accept offers. You could make a guess by assuming they admit twice as many as they expect will matriculate and then you're around 50-60% based on the numbers you gave, but really that's just made up.

For those with interviews, did they send you an email? Correct me if I'm wrong, but there isn't a portal to check on status or anything that I've found...

For those with interviews, did they send you an email? Correct me if I'm wrong, but there isn't a portal to check on status or anything that I've found...
Yes, they send you an email. Plus, if you're invited for interview, you will see a MyInterview link below MyApplications link on the very first page after you sign into MyGateWay.

Yes, they send you an email. Plus, if you're invited for interview, you will see a MyInterview link below MyApplications link on the very first page after you sign into MyGateWay.

Yeah, they send an email with info attached, then you can log onto their MyGateway thing and confirm/change your interview date.

Thank you for the info. Best of luck to you both! :luck:

KTD: Do you know any students with lower mcats? I know there have to be some but I'm wondering what sets them apart enough to overcome it.

Anyone looking to share a hotel room for the September 14th interview? I'll stay Thursday (12th) and Friday (13th) nights, and maybe Saturday (14th) night as well. PM me please, I'd love to cut down on the cost!

KTD: Do you know any students with lower mcats? I know there have to be some but I'm wondering what sets them apart enough to overcome it.

There are a few. Some of them have extraordinary life experiences, extensive research background, or exceptional talent in something (musician, athlete, etc.). That being said, I've known of a few people who have gotten in with low MCATs and an average application, so there's some luck involved.

There are a few. Some of them have extraordinary life experiences, extensive research background, or exceptional talent in something (musician, athlete, etc.). That being said, I've known of a few people who have gotten in with low MCATs and an average application, so there's some luck involved.

Pretty much what I figured. So much of this process is opaque.

Can someone discuss their experiences with "morning Clinical Rounds" and "afternoon information session" that happen the day before the interview?

Can someone discuss their experiences with "morning Clinical Rounds" and "afternoon information session" that happen the day before the interview?

Read below, this was mentioned earlier in the thread. Maybe someone else has some more information...

Hello guys, got an interview invite yesterday, i completed everything of mine august 14.

my stats are 3.98 cGPA 3.95 sGPA 33 on mcat 12/10/11

Anyone know what percentage of interviewees get acceptances? And what percentage of them get waitlisted? some kind of ballpark number would be awesome. Also any advice on types of questions that might be asked?

My interview date is for 9/28, don't know if i'll try to move it around. Does anyone know if moving it back to an earlier date will improve chances or anything of that sort?

Thanks

Hello guys, got an interview invite yesterday, i completed everything of mine august 14.

Anyone know what percentage of interviewees get acceptances? And what percentage of them get waitlisted? some kind of ballpark number would be awesome. Also any advice on types of questions that might be asked?

My interview date is for 9/28, don't know if i'll try to move it around. Does anyone know if moving it back to an earlier date will improve chances or anything of that sort?

Thanks

congrats!

i don't know the % of people interviewed who are accepted but it might be available on usnews if you pay for it. even if you get it from there it is probably at least 2 years old. my guess from two cycles ago when i applied is 40-50%, although outright acceptances / prematches might be significantly lower than that since many of my classmates got in off the waitlist. i don't think anyone is outright rejected after interview.

your interview date is 2 weeks earlier than mine was and i still got in on the first day so i highly doubt there is any advantage to you scheduling it sooner.

there weren't any standard interview questions when i went through it, everyone got asked questions tailored to their individual application. i believe the interviewers were blinded to grades and mcat. i remember one interviewer only saw my personal statement.

Thanks
This may help answer some of your questions.

http://www.medicalschoolsinusa.com/university-of-texas-southwestern-medical-center-dallas/

Last edited:
Thank you so much back12 and imymemine. Appreciate your efforts and information!!