2013-2014 University of Texas - Southwestern Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Not gonna lie, one of the biggest reasons I'm excited about this interview is that I'll be able to get In-N-Out Burger before. And after.

double-double with animal style fries? ;)

Members don't see this ad.

Not gonna lie, one of the biggest reasons I'm excited about this interview is that I'll be able to get In-N-Out Burger before. And after.

Dude, wait to taste the bbq sandwich they will serve on Saturday noon. Even in and out burgers can't compare. Good luck on interview day.

Does anyone interviewing in September have details about when the Friday rounds start, where to go on campus, etc? Or do we know if they'll send that info out soon?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone interviewing in September have details about when the Friday rounds start, where to go on campus, etc? Or do we know if they'll send that info out soon?
All of that info is in the attachments to the II email.
Rounds start at 8 am, the starting place is the Student Center.

Anyone know if they'll review your application while its missing LOR's? I'm waiting for two to still be uploaded and havent submitted the secondary, yet I got an email saying I was under review...?

I had a great time meeting everyone at the interview! This place really makes you feel like you're special and they cater to you. For everyone with interviews coming up, just relax. They call them conversations here and they aren't kidding. Overall, I really enjoyed the weekend. Let's hope they liked me as much as I liked them.

Swagtastic. Definitely up there at the top of my list.

The colleges format is one of the most intriguing aspects to me; seems like a great way to build great relationships and have lots of support.

How does UTSW decide who to invite for interviews? They sent me an email saying they received my app and then sent me an II a couple of days later. So does that mean that II are given based solely on stats? Or do they factor in research, volunteering, etc as well? Thanks.

How does UTSW decide who to invite for interviews? They sent me an email saying they received my app and then sent me an II a couple of days later. So does that mean that II are given based solely on stats? Or do they factor in research, volunteering, etc as well? Thanks.

From my experience, the earliest IIs seem to be largely based on stats, while the later IIs seem to take into account research/volunteering/ECs.

Is UT Southwestern receptive to "in the area" emails?

Members don't see this ad :)
Southwestern has Saturday interviews? Sorry if this has come up in the thread previously I haven't read through yet. Congrats man

It's a two-day program. Friday is optional and has morning rounds with some med students and an afternoon portion with a lot of info plus dinner. Saturday is when the interviews actually are, it repeats some of the info for people who couldn't make it the day before and has tours.

This is the only Texas school I applied to that hasn't offered me an interview invite.

I wonder if UT Southwestern sees a problem in my app :/

Maybe lack of high quality research was a deal breaker.

I doubt it; I have zero research and I got an II.

Then I don't know what's wrong. I even got an invite to Baylor. UT Southwestern is obviously a top choice, so I am unsure if they don't find my app appealing or if I am just being overly worried.

Because it is still only the beginning of the interview season and there are alot of other opportunities later on, so maybe I might get one in the future. :fingerscrossed:

There is a substantial element of randomness in this whole process. Maybe whoever is reviewing your application is just really slow and you will get an II soon, or maybe your application just rubbed whoever was reading it the wrong way. You never know. It seems like it matters who reads your app and who you interview with.

There is a substantial element of randomness in this whole process. Maybe whoever is reviewing your application is just really slow and you will get an II soon, or maybe your application just rubbed whoever was reading it the wrong way. You never know. It seems like it matters who reads your app and who you interview with.

That's definitely true. I have been very lucky compared to alot of applicants, so I definitely can't complain. But it would be nice to interview at UTSW soon because I will be in texas for the next two weeks interviewing at UTH and Baylor. It would save a ton of money for me to tack on the Saturday interview at UTSW because I currently work in the Northeast and these flights back to Texas are getting expensive.

I spent $1,100 in September alone :O

Maybe eventually!

Have you tried in the area email to UTSW?

Have you tried in the area email to UTSW?

Are they receptive to that? Do you think it would be well received?

EDIT: I sent them one. I will let you know how it turns out. Either way, great advice!

Last edited:
Are they receptive to that? Do you think it would be well received?

EDIT: I sent them one. I will let you know how it turns out. Either way, great advice!
I don't really know if they accept in the area emails, but I don't think asking could hurt. If anything, it shows your interest in the school, and UTSW admissions office doesn't mind being contacted. Plus, UTSW seems to want to attract strong OOS applicants*, so I think they should be pretty sensitive to people's traveling needs.

* - OOS students at UTSW receive a $1000/year stipend and IS tuition, as confirmed by Vice President of Student Affairs last Saturday.

I really liked the organization of UTSW day and half interview. I can't think of any relevant piece of information they haven't covered. Most importantly, there were plenty of opportunities to talk to current students from MS1 to MS4, and these were very insightful conversations.

I don't really know if they accept in the area emails, but I don't think asking could hurt. If anything, it shows your interest in the school, and UTSW admissions office doesn't mind being contacted. Plus, UTSW seems to want to attract strong OOS applicants*, so I think they should be pretty sensitive to people's traveling needs.

* - OOS students at UTSW receive a $1000/year stipend and IS tuition, as confirmed by Vice President of Student Affairs last Saturday.

I really liked the organization of UTSW day and half interview. I can't think of any relevant piece of information they haven't covered. Most importantly, there were plenty of opportunities to talk to current students from MS1 to MS4, and these were very insightful conversations.

Thanks, all the advice is really helpful! :thumbup:

Hey ya'll, this is another UTSW student (4th year). It is a very good education. Here's some brutal honestly about the school. You probably won't find this honest of an evaluation about other school. But it's how I roll.

Major pros:
1. Pass/Fail 1st semester and all of 4th year. This is a big deal. Live it up. Get a C that counts as just a pass. In total, 5 graded semesters, which is enough to show you can do well but having almost half of med school be pass/fail is really nice. It's like having the best of both worlds. Strut your stuff when u must, then coast.
2. Price. There is no school this cheap ranked this high. Everyone gets in-state tuition, and lots of kids get even better (noteworthy that the do not give out-of-staters anything better than this+1K schollie, just Texans). Last I checked, only in-staters to UNC Chapel Hill get a comparable deal, or those whose paren't don't make much money and go Ivy League/WashU. It is very difficult to match.
3. Location. Dallas/Fort Worth is a good area to live in. Lots to do. 4th biggest metroplex in USA. Cowboys, Rangers, Mavs, FC Dallas, Stars.
4. Good placement for residency. As the crown jewel of the UT system and at least equal to Baylor overall (to avoid any unkind controversy here) UTSW places people well. You have to travel to St Louis to the North, Vandy to the East and I think UCSF to the west to consistently beat its ranking. That my friends is a susbstantial footprint of respectability.
5. People. I have been surrounded by outstanding classmates. They have been helpful, kind, fun and professional. I can't believe I have been considered as a peer to these rockstars. Seriously. What a phenomenal job the adcom does picking great students here. Your classmates will amaze you and humble you and inspire you.
6. Cost of living. Your student loans or your/your parents' wallet will appreciate this. A lot.
7. 2nd year curriculum is awesome. 1 test every 3 weeks. That's it. Tons of material but then you are free for the weekend. Completely. And the exams aren't cumulative. All new, fresh material every time.

Major Cons:
1. 30 hour shifts on emergency general surgery 3rd year that end in required lecture are no bueno. Trauma is so fun that I didn't really care that much about losing sleep. Gallbladders are boring at 2 am. I'd imagine UTSW may have the toughest 3rd year of any school I know of.
2. Your classmates are all awesome. This means you have to really push it if you would like to be AOA etc. But everyone that really wanted a good ranking seemed to get one.
3. Location. Dallas is great. But it's 4-5 hours from the ocean and a flight away from any mountains. Dallas drivers are also pretty bad. Almost as bad as Houston drivers I hear.
4. Choppy curriculum, with many lectures (10%?) taught by ESL Ph.D. professors. I honestly still don't know what some of them were talking about. They also do not teach to Step 1, they just teach what they think is most important to know. This is why UTMB rivals and often surpasses our Step 1 average. We still match into more competetive places because of UTSW's reputation, however, and the difference is usually 1 or 2 points. UTMB teaches to the test and is quite open about it. So does UCSD.

I'm not sure if these are pros or cons:
1. UTSW is generally very challenging. I think my residency will be easier than med school.
2. There are more Nobel winners here than any other medical school I know of (5). But they never shut-up about it either. I don't really care. (Cal Tech and Nobel Prizes impresses me)
3. Big hairy scary biochem class. But it's pass/fail b/c it's in 1st semester so who cares.

Wooooo! How's that for a novel!

Reactions: 1 user
Hey ya'll, this is another UTSW student (4th year). It is a very good education. Here's some brutal honestly about the school. You probably won't find this honest of an evaluation about other school. But it's how I roll.

Major pros:
1. Pass/Fail 1st semester and all of 4th year. This is a big deal. Live it up. Get a C that counts as just a pass. In total, 5 graded semesters, which is enough to show you can do well but having almost half of med school be pass/fail is really nice. It's like having the best of both worlds. Strut your stuff when u must, then coast.
2. Price. There is no school this cheap ranked this high. Everyone gets in-state tuition, and lots of kids get even better (noteworthy that the do not give out-of-staters anything better than this+1K schollie, just Texans). Last I checked, only in-staters to UNC Chapel Hill get a comparable deal, or those whose paren't don't make much money and go Ivy League/WashU. It is very difficult to match.
3. Location. Dallas/Fort Worth is a good area to live in. Lots to do. 4th biggest metroplex in USA. Cowboys, Rangers, Mavs, FC Dallas, Stars.
4. Good placement for residency. As the crown jewel of the UT system and at least equal to Baylor overall (to avoid any unkind controversy here) UTSW places people well. You have to travel to St Louis to the North, Vandy to the East and I think UCSF to the west to consistently beat its ranking. That my friends is a susbstantial footprint of respectability.
5. People. I have been surrounded by outstanding classmates. They have been helpful, kind, fun and professional. I can't believe I have been considered as a peer to these rockstars. Seriously. What a phenomenal job the adcom does picking great students here. Your classmates will amaze you and humble you and inspire you.
6. Cost of living. Your student loans or your/your parents' wallet will appreciate this. A lot.
7. 2nd year curriculum is awesome. 1 test every 3 weeks. That's it. Tons of material but then you are free for the weekend. Completely. And the exams aren't cumulative. All new, fresh material every time.

Major Cons:
1. 30 hour shifts on emergency general surgery 3rd year that end in required lecture are no bueno. Trauma is so fun that I didn't really care that much about losing sleep. Gallbladders are boring at 2 am. I'd imagine UTSW may have the toughest 3rd year of any school I know of.
2. Your classmates are all awesome. This means you have to really push it if you would like to be AOA etc. But everyone that really wanted a good ranking seemed to get one.
3. Location. Dallas is great. But it's 4-5 hours from the ocean and a flight away from any mountains. Dallas drivers are also pretty bad. Almost as bad as Houston drivers I hear.
4. Choppy curriculum, with many lectures (10%?) taught by ESL Ph.D. professors. I honestly still don't know what some of them were talking about. They also do not teach to Step 1, they just teach what they think is most important to know. This is why UTMB rivals and often surpasses our Step 1 average. We still match into more competetive places because of UTSW's reputation, however, and the difference is usually 1 or 2 points. UTMB teaches to the test and is quite open about it. So does UCSD.

I'm not sure if these are pros or cons:
1. UTSW is generally very challenging. I think my residency will be easier than med school.
2. There are more Nobel winners here than any other medical school I know of (5). But they never shut-up about it either. I don't really care. (Cal Tech and Nobel Prizes impresses me)
3. Big hairy scary biochem class. But it's pass/fail b/c it's in 1st semester so who cares.

Wooooo! How's that for a novel!

Awesome post. Thank you for taking the time to write it.

Hi all. I received a secondary app received email from utsw on aug 19 but have heard nothing since then. is it weird that i havent received an application complete email yet? thanks.

Hi all. I received a secondary app received email from utsw on aug 19 but have heard nothing since then. is it weird that i havent received an application complete email yet? thanks.
If this helps, I received 2 emails from UTSW (before my II): one acknowledging the receipt of my TMDSAS primary and one acknowledging the receipt of my UTSW secondary. I did not receive a completion notification email, so I assume those two emails together signify completion.

Hey this is a more general question for all of the Texas medical schools.
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
Not exactly: the other UT schools don't even have secondaries :)

If this helps, I received 2 emails from UTSW (before my II): one acknowledging the receipt of my TMDSAS primary and one acknowledging the receipt of my UTSW secondary. I did not receive a completion notification email, so I assume those two emails together signify completion.

awesome thanks!

If any of you can, please give me advantages UTSW may have over Baylor, San Antonio, and/or UTMB, especially with regard to overall student happiness/stress and preparation for Step I.

Thanks!

For the clinical rounds/friday morning program, does business attire mean I should wear a suit jacket? I currently only have 1 suit so I was wondering if it would be ok to wear slacks and a button up shirt, I am female btw

For the clinical rounds/friday morning program, does business attire mean I should wear a suit jacket? I currently only have 1 suit so I was wondering if it would be ok to wear slacks and a button up shirt, I am female btw
You know, I was wondering about this before my clinical rounds, too. Ultimately I decided to wear my suit, and I think it was the right decision. Look, compared to everyone working at the hospital you will be overdressed, but every other applicant will be wearing a suit. I was told by my MD friends that wearing something very different from the rest of the applicants is a bad way to stand out; so I threaded carefully and wore my suit to clinical rounds. And so did the rest of the applicants, regardless of how ridiculous we looked in the hospital.
Oh, and it's OK to wear the same suit for 2 days. Most of the applicants do that, and I don't think anyone remembers or cares about that.

You know, I was wondering about this before my clinical rounds, too. Ultimately I decided to wear my suit, and I think it was the right decision. Look, compared to everyone working at the hospital you will be overdressed, but every other applicant will be wearing a suit. I was told by my MD friends that wearing something very different from the rest of the applicants is a bad way to stand out; so I threaded carefully and wore my suit to clinical rounds. And so did the rest of the applicants, regardless of how ridiculous we looked in the hospital.
Oh, and it's OK to wear the same suit for 2 days. Most of the applicants do that, and I don't think anyone remembers or cares about that.

Thank you! This is very helpful :)

Really? Honestly, I can't imagine them wanting us I wear a suit. This seems very excessive for clinical rounds.

I agree that wearing a suit on clinical rounds is excessive - like I said, nobody really wears suits at hospitals. But if you read the instructions for Friday morning clinical rounds, they say "business attire" - not "business casual/casual" as for the Friday afternoon informative program, but "business" which mean suits. Or, in any case, that's how every applicant reads it - and shows up in a suit. My point is, excessive or not, you want to look like the rest of the applicants, and every single applicant at my Friday clinical rounds wore a suit.

I agree that wearing a suit on clinical rounds is excessive - like I said, nobody really wears suits at hospitals. But if you read the instructions for Friday morning clinical rounds, they say "business attire" - not "business casual/casual" as for the Friday afternoon informative program, but "business" which mean suits. Or, in any case, that's how every applicant reads it - and shows up in a suit. My point is, excessive or not, you want to look like the rest of the applicants, and every single applicant at my Friday clinical rounds wore a suit.

I didn't go to the rounds, and so my fulfillment of "business casual" was a blue shirt & tie and tan slacks. EVERY other person had black slacks. But I was just all like

Haters_gonna_hate.gif

One of the students at the dinner complimented me on my style choice, so that's a plus.

I didn't go to the rounds, and so my fulfillment of "business casual" was a blue shirt & tie and tan slacks. EVERY other person had black slacks.
That's because not everyone had time to change from the black suits they wore in the morning :) At my Friday afternoon session, quite a few people wore business casual/casual though: guys in slacks (or even cords) and shirts, girls in skirts and nice blouses... But on Friday morning *every single person* wore a suit, most black, some dark grey, only a couple of people were polychrome - but even they wore suits.

That's because not everyone had time to change from the black suits they wore in the morning :) At my Friday afternoon session, quite a few people wore business casual/casual though: guys in slacks (or even cords) and shirts, girls in skirts and nice blouses... But on Friday morning *every single person* wore a suit, most black, some dark grey, only a couple of people were polychrome - but even they wore suits.

I hate this so much

G78XZZN.gif

I hate this so much

G78XZZN.gif
From my point of view as a very nontraditional applicant, these are not the worst hoops to jump through :)
Keep in mind that you'll use that black suit for you residency interviews and oral boards ;)

From my point of view as a very nontraditional applicant, these are not the worst hoops to jump through :)
Keep in mind that you'll use that black suit for you residency interviews and oral boards ;)

I do not own a black suit as I would prefer not to attend an interview of any kind looking like I'm in mourning.

Black suits are hideous and I would never wear one. It's not considered conservative business dress and looks horrible. Navy, gray, and charcoal are the most traditional and conservative options. But leave it to a bunch of clueless premeds to show up looking like waitstaff. Where's the funeral?

Anyway, sorry for the digression. Just a personal gripe.

I do not own a black suit as I would prefer not to attend an interview of any kind looking like I'm in mourning.

Black suits are hideous and I would never wear one. It's not considered conservative business dress and looks horrible. Navy, gray, and charcoal are the most traditional and conservative options. But leave it to a bunch of clueless premeds to show up looking like waitstaff. Where's the funeral?

Anyway, sorry for the digression. Just a personal gripe.

Yep that why I sport the navy!

Yeah it's certainly personal preference. There is an article on this site in fact discussing that black is perfectly acceptable attire. My own charcoal suit is almost indistinguishable from my light black suit. Basically wear a dark suit = non-factor overall.

Guys, charcoal, navy and gray are all great. It just so happens that most applicants wear black. My original point was about the Friday clinical rounds: it doesn't have to be black, but it better be a suit.

Last edited:
Yeah it's certainly personal preference. There is an article on this site in fact discussing that black is perfectly acceptable attire. My own charcoal suit is almost indistinguishable from my light black suit. Basically wear a dark suit = non-factor overall.

Right. Usually most people refer to that color as charcoal.

I'm not going to debate you on this, but I will say that the established definition of conservative business dress is not subject to personal preference. That said, I do agree that plenty of people get in wearing black suits, of course. It's just a total eyesore to people who know how to get dressed.