2013-2014 Yale University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi everyone,

Congratulations to all the accepted students. My application has been complete since September 2013 and I have not heard a word from the admissions office yet. Does any one know if they are still sending out II?

have you checked your the online portal to see if you have a "decision" tab?
I was under the impression they had completed interviews since they've release acceptances

Members don't see this ad.

have you checked your the online portal to see if you have a "decision" tab?
I was under the impression they had completed interviews since they've release acceptances
You are right. I checked my status and it seems like another rejection is added to my list :( good luck everyone

Members don't see this ad :)
So excited for second look next week! Who's going??

Reactions: 1 user
I really want to go to second look but I can't spare the extra $500 to attend. It looks like it will be a blast!

I really want to go to second look but I can't spare the extra $500 to attend. It looks like it will be a blast!
I think they'll pay for you since, according your MDApps, you're hispanic.

interestingly enough, i just realized that you are a female. i guess the MOM part of ur username never occurred to me lol.

I think they'll pay for you since, according your MDApps, you're hispanic.

mmhhm... I hope this was a tongue-in-cheek comment. I initially chuckled.

Somewhat troubling if serious though. DR MOM merits schools to court her based on her achievements, not the color of her skin or cultural heritage.

Edit:
Also, maybe what you meant was that she should contact Yale's diversity office. From what I understand, they tend to have funds for things like this. I hope you attend DR MOM!

Last edited:
Some schools have offered funding through their diversity offices but Yale wasn't one of them and I've gotta save up money for moving my family cross country in one direction or another...

I feel like I got a pretty great picture of Yale so I think I'll be able to decide without revisiting, but I am sorry to miss it and meet my maybe class!

Does anyone know when merit scholarships drop at Yale if they are any?

I'm pretty sure they said they don't do merit aid at the interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,

I have been acknowledged in a Nature Methods paper. Is that worth writing the Adcom to let them know about it?

Thanks!!

Does anyone know if Yale matches aid packages from other schools? Just received mine from Yale and it was a lot less than I expected, and definitely not enough to attend :(

Does anyone know if Yale matches aid packages from other schools? Just received mine from Yale and it was a lot less than I expected, and definitely not enough to attend :(

They explicitly do not match aid from what I heard from other students

It doesn't hurt to ask though, right?

Am I the only who is slowly dying from the wait? The first movement from the waitlist last year seemed to occur after May 15, so perhaps no good news today?

Am I the only who is slowly dying from the wait? The first movement from the waitlist last year seemed to occur after May 15, so perhaps no good news today?

I am in the same boat!! Praying for some movement!

Reactions: 2 users
Got an email from Dean Silverman this morning, telling me to call him. Spoke to him on the phone, and was told I was accepted off the waitlist! Waiting to hear back about financial aid. Was definitely not expecting to hear anything this early... Looks like getting any work done today is going to be even harder than I thought!

Reactions: 5 users
Got an email from Dean Silverman this morning, telling me to call him. Spoke to him on the phone, and was told I was accepted off the waitlist! Waiting to hear back about financial aid. Was definitely not expecting to hear anything this early... Looks like getting any work done today is going to be even harder than I thought!
Wow, congrats!!

Ditto! I got an email this morning. Very, very excited and happy to spend the next stage of my life here. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Ditto! I got an email this morning, and will be withdrawing from Penn to attend. Very, very excited and happy to spend the next stage of my life here. :)
Congrats! I'm keeping my fingers crossed - no acceptances anywhere yet for me :(

Ended up declining the offer of acceptance. Yale is awesome, but I couldn't stomach paying an extra $100,000 over where I'm holding an acceptance now. Hopefully this means one of you will be getting a call from admissions soon!

This thread has been pretty quiet which makes me think that we are dealing with a particularly bad year for waitlist movement. Could it be that the class is full and stable this early?

Don't know if we are dealing with bad wait list year but the thread is definitely quieter than past Yale threads. However, when I called last week right before the weekend, Veronica indicated that Director Silverman was on vacation and will return "later" this week. May be we will have some good news to hear this week?

Thanks for the info! This gives me hope that it's not over yet :)

To fellow waitlisters who are still waiting,
According to the admission office today, the "tier" email will come out tomorrow (Friday the 30th) and the dial-athlon (aka calling hours) will open on June 4th.
Good luck everyone!:xf:

To fellow waitlisters who are still waiting,
According to the admission office today, the "tier" email will come out tomorrow (Friday the 30th) and the dial-athlon (aka calling hours) will open on June 4th.
Good luck everyone!:xf:

Whats the dial-athlon aka calling hours mean? Will they call down the list and offer to the first one that picks up the phone?

Whats the dial-athlon aka calling hours mean? Will they call down the list and offer to the first one that picks up the phone?
the dial part: During that time you can call Director Silverman and you can discuss about your chance in detail with him. However, they also specifically told me that if you do not call it won't hurt your chances. (e.g. some people will be abroad during the specified hours).
the -athlon part: In past years, it is quite a long wait before being able to talk to him. I saw someone said that they were caller #45 in the line in past threads. That explained the -athlon part.

Anyway, we will see later today!

Last edited:
where was this email we were promised :(
So Monday has passed without the tier email that was supposed to be sent last Friday. I looked up last year's Yale thread and apparently something very similar happened then as well.

Last year, the email was promised to be released on May 28 but did not actually came out until June 6. So if I extrapolate the same delay based on # of working days, this year's email should be released on June 10. Let's see if my prediction would hold...

Meanwhile, the wait lists are seriously diverting my attention away from the final exam that I should really focus on...

Email about tiers of waitlist just went out!

Group 2! I guess it's the alternative name for limbo... haha
Same - time to send an update and prepare to call Friday... once I finish my personal statement for this next cycle :p

For fellow waitlisters,

I thought I would provide some inference regarding the tiers as an econ major. (there is a lot of assumptions here, bear with me).
What we know (fact):

- On a statistically normal year, 25 people matriculated from the waitlist.
- There is a realistic possibility for group 2 to be admitted from the waitlist in an statistically average year.
- (from cst in 2010-2011 thread) In the "worst year" for wait-listers (i.e., best year for Yale's initial yield), 19 matriculants (of final class of 100) students were from the waitlist pool
- (from cst in 2010-2011 thread) In the "best year" for wait-listers, 49 matriculants (of the final class of 100) students were from the waitlist pool --> they must reached into tier 3
- tier 3 (largest, >45%)>tier 2>tier 1 (10% total WL)

Here's the assumptions I made:
- Assuming that 50% of the waitlistees offered a spot will matriculate.
- Yale offered 288 acceptances last year (fact) and it was a statistically normal year. That means about 225 were first round and about 50 came from WL. (which resulted into 25 matriculants from WL)
- Assuming the the "realist possibility" for tier 2 means that 50% of the time they will reach the bottom of tier 2.

Based on the above fact and assumption, then this is what I imagine what Yale WL looks like:

100 waitlistees remained was tiered after the May 15 deadline.
10% of the WL are tier 1 ~10 people and everyone got accepted eventually. (~5 matriculants on a normal year)
40% of the WL are tier 2 - 40 people and 50% of the time everyone was accepted. (~20 matriculants on a normal year)
50% of the WL are tier 3 - 50 people

Let me know what you think about my estimate.

Oh and I have a final tomorrow at 8AM. Probably should go back to studying.:xf:

I also got Group 2. Does anyone know what does it mean to "discuss your application" ? If someone could talk about it.. I am a little nervous on what to talk about. Is is just an opportunity to "promote ourselves"?

Thanks!

I also got Group 2. Does anyone know what does it mean to "discuss your application" ? If someone could talk about it.. I am a little nervous on what to talk about. Is is just an opportunity to "promote ourselves"?

Thanks!
I'm planning on asking about my chances, talking about the stuff I just sent them in my update letter, etc. Not really sure what else I could do...

Damn I was expecting to call and be placed on hold for an hour and a half, but they just make you keep calling back. Ugh.

Let the fun begin! I have already tried at least 10 times... If I got through, I will share what I heard from RS to save everyone's time.

Let the fun begin! I have already tried at least 10 times... If I got through, I will share what I heard from RS to save everyone's time.
Same - I'm calling every few minutes so I don't go crazy. XP

I'm planning on asking about my chances, talking about the stuff I just sent them in my update letter, etc. Not really sure what else I could do...

thanks! calling from overseas.. 8 cents each time the automatic reply answers.. hehehe :/

thanks! calling from overseas.. 8 cents each time the automatic reply answers.. hehehe :/
Oof, that sucks. Try google voice? I think it's free calls to the US from wherever.

I can pretty much recite the voicemail message by now...

Same here. Calling from Europe... I guess I should consider myself lucky to have $80 in my skype balance.

Oh and google voice does not have a call button on my page. I guess you have to have an IP in US to make calls.

Last edited:
Same here. Calling from Europe... I guess I should consider myself lucky to have $80 in my skype balance.

hahah yep, I just topped off my account. But as @Keladry suggested, google hangout worked, and its for free!

YOU DO GET PUT ON HOLD. haha and when the lady in the office picked up I thought it went to the automated message again, because she sounds exactly the same :p took a couple seconds to click in my head

YOU DO GET PUT ON HOLD. haha and when the lady in the office picked up I thought it went to the automated message again, because she sounds exactly the same :p took a couple seconds to click in my head
Oh, you get put on hold once someone picks up?