2018-2019 Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Pre-II R today...second one of the day..this week is going to hurt!

Members don't see this ad.

Pre-II R today and I was complete 9/10. Best of luck to everyone in the running!

Members don't see this ad :)
That would make sense since they did say we would hear back by December 15th.

Do you remember if they said by the 15th or around the 15th? I know in past years they've always released by the 15th, but I don't remember what they said on my interview day!

Reactions: 1 user
If you were rejected pre - II do you get an email? My messages section of the portal looks empty...

Do you remember if they said by the 15th or around the 15th? I know in past years they've always released by the 15th, but I don't remember what they said on my interview day!

I wrote by December 15rh in my notes so i think that's what they said, im usually specific about how i write things haha

If you were rejected pre - II do you get an email? My messages section of the portal looks empty...

I did, but it seems like others did not. It appears underneath the button that says access/view/open (I forget which it is) your application

No change in my status thus far? To be fair - I applied late Oct...

R pre II today; submitted mid-July. I received an email notification to check the portal.

I did, but it seems like others did not. It appears underneath the button that says access/view/open (I forget which it is) your application
Thanks! Has anyone complete during or after late September heard back by chance?

Pre-II R today, got the complete email 10/5. Good luck everyone!

Pre-II R this afternoon, complete end of July, complete email end of August. Hoping to hear about good news from you folks in the running!

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted! I got an email with a link to my portal!

Reactions: 5 users
Also accepted after thinking I bombed my interview (mid-Oct)!!!

Reactions: 4 users
when u check ur portal & there are no updates lmao :'(

s/o to all yall accepted folk!!!!!! yall truly deserve this!

EDIT: alternate list!

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
I haven’t gotten an email or update and it’s killing me!!

Reactions: 1 users
Congrats to those accepted! Nothing here yet, hope that doesn't mean a rejection :(

Reactions: 4 users
Congrats to everyone! Didn't get any email, so I'll hope for a waitlist notification tomorrow!

No email is prob not a good sign is it... :(
congrats to everyone who has been accepted though, so excited for you all!!!

Anyone who interviewed mid November remember if they said December or later for news?

Just got waitlisted! Pretty much what I expected after I didnt get an email this afternoon, but I still got a shot! Does anyone know how much waitlist movement JHU has, and how many people they waitlist?

Waitlisted as well, kinda sad cuz this interview i thought went super well so now im worried about the ones that i didn't think went well

Waitlisted as well, best of luck to everyone still in the running :)

Rejected. I thought the interview went really well... oh well... at least I’m accepted elsewhere :)

Good luck to everyone who was accepted today!

Reactions: 2 users
As per the ADCOM's FB:
"The Admissions Office sent acceptance decisions to 81 candidates yesterday afternoon: congratulations. This is the first of three acceptance notifications, with the second and third notifications scheduled for late January/early February and late March/early April. We are still evaluating candidates for interviews, with approximately seven more weeks to go after January 7."

Congrats to all those accepted! For those on the WL, I can't remember the exact numbers but something like 1/3 of applicants get outright acceptances, but the final acceptance rate stands around ~40%. There's plenty of wiggle ahead.

And I will just affirm: I cannot tell any difference between my WL classmates and the outright accepted ones. When you select from such a high-achieving batch it's like splitting hairs. For those rejected: I really appreciate you taking the time to come out and interview! Again, the pool of applicants coming here to interview is absurdly talented. A rejection here does not preclude you from success here or elsewhere (I have plenty of attendings here that were rejected for JHUSOM!).

Second Look will be held 4/11-4/14.

Reactions: 6 users
Congratulations to everyone accepted yesterday!! You'll get more information about this in the spring, but if you want to go ahead and mark your calendars, SLW will be Thursday April 11-Sunday April 14, 2019.

For those waitlisted and wondering how much WL movement Hopkins tends to have, the answer is a lot. Up to 1/4 of a given class may come in off the WL. That's actually something I really like about their admissions system here: if they waitlist you, they still truly do want you to be a part of their class and will be actively continuing to consider you. For reasons that have to do with the intricacies of the school's charter, they just have to be really careful about not over-matriculating here. (If you want the details: apparently according to the charter, the school must have exactly 120 students per year and can't exceed that, which means they have to be really careful about the number of acceptances they initially offer to avoid over-matriculating. ~6 years ago word is that there were two classes in a row that they accidentally over-matriculated and had ~125 planning to attend, and each of those years they had to offer a year of free tuition to ~5 students in exchange for volunteering to defer a year and be in the subsequent year's class. Ever since then, they've significantly scaled down the initial number of acceptances they offer to avoid this issue again, which means once May comes around Hopkins has a larger number of spaces to fill with their WL.) Tl;dr: Hopkins intentionally aims to accept however many students will leave them with well lower than 120 committing as of April 30, to avoid logistical issues related to their charter, and thus tends to fill many seats off the WL. Also, I believe that last year of the ~600 interviewed, it was roughly 200 accepted, 200 waitlisted, 200 rejected. Given that I've heard of as many as 50 acceptances off the WL in a given summer, that means anyone waitlisted could have up to a 25% chance of acceptance. Take heart!

For those rejected: there are so many other incredible medical schools out there, and I promise one will turn out to be the perfect fit for you. Keep persevering; I believe in you!

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
Is JHU still giving out interviews or are they done?

Unsure – last interview day is the 22nd of Feb, so there's a good ~200 people left to interview (1/3 of pool). Can't say yay/nay, but I think most of the Jan/Feb invitations have already been extended?

Last edited:
I’m a bit nervous about safety at this school? Can anyone provide any comments on safety? Any tips for interview day?

I’m a bit nervous about safety at this school? Can anyone provide any comments on safety? Any tips for interview day?
the campus and surrounding area are very nice, you shouldn't have any trouble; they'll also give you some stats on crime which should alleviate some concerns for you

Is JHU still giving out interviews or are they done?
Also can't say for sure but, for reference, I got my II on Jan. 11 last year for a Feb. 8 interview slot. Seems like they might be winding down now as I was one of the last rounds of II :/

The area around the school is pretty safe. My advice for interview day is to just know your application and be genuine. It seems like the interviewers choose who they interview so they likely picked you because they liked your application and you just need to show them you're a good person. In between interviews just be nice and social and don't do anything stupid of course because they are evaluating you although there shouldn't be any issues as long as you're not rude or do anything outrageous. The student interviewer will have a few required behavioral questions that they'll ask but otherwise it's pretty relaxed. My faculty interviewer asked about my research and also asked a follow up question to make sure i knew what i was talking about and they seemed pretty satisfied with my answer but just a heads up in case you need to refresh your memory on yours.

Disclaimer: i am currently waitlisted here just so you know but i felt like my interview day went pretty well

The area around the school is pretty safe. My advice for interview day is to just know your application and be genuine. It seems like the interviewers choose who they interview so they likely picked you because they liked your application and you just need to show them you're a good person. In between interviews just be nice and social and don't do anything stupid of course because they are evaluating you although there shouldn't be any issues as long as you're not rude or do anything outrageous. The student interviewer will have a few required behavioral questions that they'll ask but otherwise it's pretty relaxed. My faculty interviewer asked about my research and also asked a follow up question to make sure i knew what i was talking about and they seemed pretty satisfied with my answer but just a heads up in case you need to refresh your memory on yours.

Disclaimer: i am currently waitlisted here just so you know but i felt like my interview day went pretty well
Thanks! We’re the behavioral questions hard?

Anyone who was waitlisted just receive an email about a background check?

I got a background check email as well but I haven't hit my decision date with JHU yet, probably from another school i guess