2022-2023 University of Central Florida

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If we haven’t received an II or R yet, is no news good news?

Reactions: 1 users
Received my A call around an hour ago. I am so happy and grateful. Sending good vibes to everyone waiting.

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if the optional visit with students is recorded for attendance ? I already interviewed and don’t have many questions but I’d definitely go if it affected my application. Just want to make sure I’m not offending anyone by not going
It has absolutely no impact on the committee decision. They don't even know who attends.

Hi everyone! Does anyone know what the decision notification looks like for those who haven’t yet attended a virtual visit? I got the email that the committee is going to review my application soon and notify me 1-3 days after, with the qualification that they only notify after attending a virtual visit. I’m attending the visit at the end of October- should I expect a call 1-3 days after the visit? Thanks in advance!
If your application was reviewed prior to attending a virtual visit then we will call you 1-3 days after you attend one. So you can expect to hear from us Oct 27 or 28t.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know around what time they will be calling us today?

If you have not received a secondary and meet minimum criteria you should email us [email protected] so we can check on that.

Thanks for getting back to me. I actually already received a secondary, and I submitted it on July 9th.

Would this mean that I am likely waiting for a rejection at this point, or is my application simply still under review?

Thanks for getting back to me. I actually already received a secondary, and I submitted it on July 9th.

Would this mean that I am likely waiting for a rejection at this point, or is my application simply still under review?
Your portal will say 'eligible for interview' if you're in the pile for interview consideration, they pick 17 a week from that pile (and might not get to everyone by the time they fill the class)

Does anyone know if the optional visit with students is recorded for attendance ? I already interviewed and don’t have many questions but I’d definitely go if it affected my application. Just want to make sure I’m not offending anyone by not going
I apologize if this ends up posting twice but my previous response doesn't seem to appear from what I can see. Attending an in-person tour has absolutely no impact on the decision made by the Admissions Committee. In fact, I don't even tell them who has attended. It is totally for your benefit and for you to see all that UCF COM has to offer.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does a WL already mean we won't have a chance until May?
Idk man. Looking at the last years thread it depends where we are on the waitlist. Top third= 99% chance accepted, bottom third = no chance. And we won’t find out where we are on the waitlist until November if they do the same thing.

Idk man. Looking at the last years thread it depends where we are on the waitlist. Top third= 99% chance accepted, bottom third = no chance. And we won’t find out where we are on the waitlist until November if they do the same thing.
Ah, let me clarify. I was wondering more about when our chance would be relevant rather than what that chance was. Are we condemned to wait until May to get anything now?

Ah, let me clarify. I was wondering more about when our chance would be relevant rather than what that chance was. Are we condemned to wait until May to get anything now?
IIRC if you are at the VERY top of the waitlist there's a small chance you get accepted before waitlist movement starts, but most likely just have to wait until May.

I’m assuming we have to just sit tight and wait until towards the end of November to get anything (aka general waitlist position) and then based on that, it’ll clue you in to how long you’ll have to wait after that.

Accepted, OOS. Unbelievable feeling. Mom I'm going to Disneyworld

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
does anyone have any tips on the interview ? how was the experience overall etc.

does anyone have any tips on the interview ? how was the experience overall etc.
We can’t say anything about the interview details, unfortunately. Everyone was very nice and welcoming though, you have nothing to worry about (easier said than done, I know)

Did anyone receive a decision today?

If your application was reviewed prior to attending a virtual visit then we will call you 1-3 days after you attend one. So you can expect to hear from us Oct 27 or 28t.
What is the possibility to be accepted of the waitlist?

Last edited:
I just received an interview invite, but when I went to schedule my interview is says there are no more interview dates available for this cycle? Will they open up new dates?

• Wow
I just received an interview invite, but when I went to schedule my interview is says there are no more interview dates available for this cycle? Will they open up new dates?
do you mind saying complete date and oos/is?

What is the possibility to be accepted of the waitlist?
I was called off the WL this week so they are already taking people off the top. UCF historically has alot of WL movement, if you are in the top 1/3 you have a very strong chance.

Reactions: 3 users
I was called off the WL this week so they are already taking people off the top. UCF historically has alot of WL movement, if you are in the top 1/3 you have a very strong chance.
21 year old matriculate youngest in medapp history (WTF BOLTMAN 83.5 LM ONE A? Skill issue boltman (schools moving to holistic approach confirmed???))

Holy crap she has 20 IIs and she's cute

I gotta ask... if I submitted my secondary here in early July and have not heard anything yet, is that pretty much a soft R? Can anyone provide any input on this please?

II about an hour ago! IS complete 7/5. Dates were for mid November

Last edited:
Did they tell you where you were in the WL?

Accepted! OOS Can't wait for the annual universal and disney passes!

Reactions: 2 users
Hey everyone, M4 here and happy to answer any questions about UCF COM. Best of luck with the application cycle!

Forgot to post, but got my position on the waitlist on Tuesday. Top third!

Forgot to post, but got my position on the waitlist on Tuesday. Top third!
Nice! I also got the update that I'm somewhere in the top third. We're in the clear I think. Just a matter of when we will get the A instead of if now.

Nice! I also got the update that I'm somewhere in the top third. We're in the clear I think. Just a matter of when we will get the A instead of if now.
Congrats, cool to see your avatar as I'm assuming you're into anime. We have a current group of us who are into anime and have watch parties; as we're graduating, it's nice to see the tradition will be continued going forwards.

For the record, and since this will be the final time I can post this--
I'm a current M4 at UCF. Please feel free to ask any questions about the school from a student's perspective and I'll do my best to answer.

When I interviewed, our admissions staff was bar none the best of all the schools I interviewed at. I hope your experience is the same. For the record, I saw that REL mentioned this but I want to reiterate it as it is very important for each of you. Pick your programs wisely, if this applies to you. Find out what you value in a school:
  • career goals
    • match lists, location students match
  • lifestyle and balance
    • administration listening to feedback
    • do students participate in sports, are they happy
    • near family, near outdoor activities you like, weather you like, communities (small town vs large city)
This was supremely wise advice and I cannot emphasize it enough to find what you value most and use it as a ranking list of sorts when choosing a program (though I know many of us don't have a choice). I wish you all the best of luck and that you end up at the program that is the best fit for you.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Found out last week that I was placed on the waitlist (middle third). Thankful for the transparency of this school!

Congrats, cool to see your avatar as I'm assuming you're into anime. We have a current group of us who are into anime and have watch parties; as we're graduating, it's nice to see the tradition will be continued going forwards.

I'm a current M4 at UCF. Please feel free to ask any questions about the school from a student's perspective and I'll do my best to answer.

When I interviewed, our admissions staff was bar none the best of all the schools I interviewed at. I hope your experience is the same. For the record, I saw that REL mentioned this but I want to reiterate it as it is very important for each of you. Pick your programs wisely, if this applies to you. Find out what you value in a school:
  • career goals
  • lifestyle and balance
    • near family, near outdoor activities you like, weather you like, communities (small town vs large city)
This was supremely wise advice and I cannot emphasize it enough to find what you value most and use it as a ranking list of sorts when choosing a program (though I know many of us don't have a choice). I wish you all the best of luck and that you end up at the program that is the best fit for you.

Interviewing soon,
So how would you comment on the lifestyle/balance at UCF and the graded pre-clinical years ? When do you typically get out of class and when do you typically have time for studying ? The area and facilities look amazing so already sold on that, (and it's near family and friends) You mention sports, do the students do a lot of sports there ? (tennis/golf look super easy there.)

• career goals
  • lifestyle and balance
Thank You! I will do my best to continue this coveted legacy.

As for my question:
What's your favorite anime/manga?

Interviewing soon,
So how would you comment on the lifestyle/balance at UCF and the graded pre-clinical years ? When do you typically get out of class and when do you typically have time for studying ? The area and facilities look amazing so already sold on that, (and it's near family and friends) You mention sports, do the students do a lot of sports there ? (tennis/golf look super easy there.)
I think it is what you want it to be at any school but I will admit we have the opportunity to have a great balance compared to a lot of programs. Going into medical school, I was a non-trad student in many ways other than age with a lot of interests outside of medicine which made me prefer a stronger balance than the average medical student. With that in mind, I always was done studying at 6pm and would do any number of my hobbies or spend time at home after that. I did the same thing the night before test days. On Saturdays, I almost never studied. Maybe ~6 Saturdays total out of the year I did study though. I did fine in preclinical but I also think my non-trad background, particularly working multiple different jobs, gave me a perspective of staying disciplined and effectively studying. M1 was harder in this regard but not attending classes was a game changer for me particularly. I tried attending for the first block. After that, I stopped and realized I was studying much more effectively and learning far more than I did in-person. I utilized Anki and high speed lectures and began to incorporate an extra resource here and there. M2 was far easier even with COVID because I had optimized my preclinical studying with a combination of Anki+Pathoma+Sketchy+UWorld. Half of us used these resources; the other half either didn't use these or only used them for Step studies so they effectively studied longer than I did but I assume they were happy with the balance they had. I want to add that the lectures and powerpoints provided are effective and a good portion of my class only used these for preclinical resources; I just preferred the big picture learning style of these resources and chose to use them. A few of my classmates studied less than I did but I would not expect to do this unless you're a genius (at least that's how I think of them; think of someone who has 95%+ board scores on the MCAT, Step 1, & Step 2 with normal/below-avg amount of studying).

So, to answer succinctly, the balance is yours to own. Prioritize passing and achieving the grade you desire first. Once you are comfortable and know how much to study, you can optimize your studying to have as much or as little balance as you want/need. That was very important for me and it made my preclinical experience far better. Additionally, I knew early on what specialty I wanted to go into, which cared little about in house grades and prioritized Step scores, so I had much more freedom in not caring about getting an A but in rather just passing with a B or an A during my entire preclinical. This strategy did not hurt me at all for interviews. Take this with N=1. Classes are 8am-12pm during first year and 1pm-5pm in second year if you attend lectures. As a non-lecture attendee, I would say we spent about 2 hours for 3-4 days/wk at the school for clinical learning/group sessions.

A lot of us play sports. There were groups for ultimate frisbee, beach volleyball is on Fridays, we had flag football pre-pandemic but unsure if still ongoing, a lot of people play tennis (one of the few USTA centers in the country is right down the road from the school), a group of us (particularly my class) rock climb regularly, there is a run club with group runs (varying distances depending on your level) every week and we hung out post-run, soccer group, a basketball group, biking. I am not sure about a golfing group but there is a lot of golf around and plenty of my classmates play. During preclinical, I played in about ~2-3 of these groups per week. It was a ton of fun. I still do 3 of these sports but now only with a select group of my med school friends as we live downtown now.