Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine (ACOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
II! Completed 1/9 (though the confirmation came on the 11th - not sure which date I'm supposed to say).

Members don't see this ad.

I'm assuming it's better to interview ASAP rather than later ....
I would assume the same. I wasted too much time checking to make sure I didn't have any exams on the first available day, and by the time I confirmed that I didn't, all those slots were gone and I had to do the next week o_0

My advice: reserve now, check later! I'm sure any professor would be willing to let you reschedule an exam due to an interview.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
But then, what do I know? I'm just an Australian puppy dog.

Reactions: 1 user
II 01/14! YAY!! But I don't remember my login credentials!! Anyone have a similar problem?

The earliest available were for Feb 12th. I picked one because -- when I refreshed the page -- fully half of them had vanished lol.
nice! this school has a quick response, unlike some other schools :( congrats again

Doesn't ACOM have a good hospital affiliation?

Yea, ACOM is a subsidiary of SAMC (if I recall correctly) but in practice it's the AMEC that supplies the strong clinical rotation arrangements. I'm not sure what you have in mind when you consider hospital affiliations, and granted idk how many residency slots are (will be) available at SAMC and/or favorably given to ACOM students, but if you have rotations/residency in mind when asking that question, AMEC is what you want to look into. Perhaps someone more familiar/informed can verify though...

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yea, ACOM is a subsidiary of SAMC (if I recall correctly) but in practice it's the AMEC that supplies the strong clinical rotation arrangements. I'm not sure what you have in mind when you consider hospital affiliations, and granted idk how many residency slots are (will be) available at SAMC and/or favorably given to ACOM students, but if you have rotations/residency in mind when asking that question, AMEC is what you want to look into. Perhaps someone more familiar/informed can verify though...
AMEC is now ACOM

II today! Scheduled for 2/19. Complete first week of January

E-mail support! Plus they should have sent you an e-mail with your credentials. Try searching for acom in your mailbox
Thank you! Yes, I emailed support and they responded very quickly. Looking forward to my interview on 2/12!

I was waitlisted post interview.
Hello, fellow waitlister! I was waitlisted post-interview 1/8 as well. According to the last year's thread, the movement starts in June for us. Hoping for the best!

What kind of MacBook and iPad does the school provide?
I think they said macbook pro, iPad mini for working with standardized pts. Not sure if they will also provide with the regular ipad. They will tell you all about it on the interview day. Good luck!

I seem to recall hearing macbook pro and iPad mini, on both the tour and interview day. On the tour the night before, Ms. Goodson said the PC was a Dell ultrabook. If it's the XPS I'll very happily use that but otherwise I'll probably be buying something else.

If someone that knows the actual models could chime in here it would be much appreciated.

I seem to recall hearing macbook pro and iPad mini, on both the tour and interview day. On the tour the night before, Ms. Goodson said the PC was a Dell ultrabook. If it's the XPS I'll very happily use that but otherwise I'll probably be buying something else.

If someone that knows the actual models could chime in here it would be much appreciated.
macbook air

What's been the average complete to II duration?
This is by no means meant to be taken as accurate but -- looking at this thread rather closely as well as my own experience -- I'd reckon the complete to II turn around is somewhere between 5 and 14 days.

Hah, I'm a "low-end" user I guess. I have no need for power in my computers. The Air is just so insanely portable and light, I love it. I'm in Vietnam right now, and carrying this thing along felt like I added nothing to my bag.

But to each, their own! I'm sure I'd be happy with a pro as well. I just have a thing for minimalism.

Is anyone looking for a roommate yet? I want to find a place soon but don't know if I'm looking too early.

Any current student living in summerfield want a referral?
there are some students from '18/'19 on the Facebook page that might take you up on the offer. post there

Would anyone be willing to hazard a guess as to what one's chances of acceptance post-interview might be?

66%. When I interviewed, they told us that they usually take around 15 to 16 out of the 22 to 24 people that are interviewed each Friday.

Not at all!
Thank you! I hope it's not too much lol. I'm a GA resident from way out in the sticks, so maybe I'll fit in :D

1) Is it pronounced "a-kahm" or "a-see-oh-ehm"?

2) How did your interview go? What was the format/number of interviews? Was it stressful? What were some of the questions asked? Did you feel good afterward?

3) What did you like about the school? What impressed you? Did anything impress you negatively?

4) What would you recommend I do to prepare? -- I've looked over my primary app and the essays I wrote for my secondary.

5) What would you recommend I ask my interviewers? I'm thinking like "What do you like about the school?/Why'd you come here as faculty?/What would you improve if you could? etc"

Thanks a bunch!

Thank you! I hope it's not too much lol. I'm a GA resident from way out in the sticks, so maybe I'll fit in :D

1) Is it pronounced "a-kahm" or "a-see-oh-ehm"?

2) How did your interview go? What was the format/number of interviews? Was it stressful? What were some of the questions asked? Did you feel good afterward?

3) What did you like about the school? What impressed you? Did anything impress you negatively?

4) What would you recommend I do to prepare? -- I've looked over my primary app and the essays I wrote for my secondary.

5) What would you recommend I ask my interviewers? I'm thinking like "What do you like about the school?/Why'd you come here as faculty?/What would you improve if you could? etc"

Thanks a bunch!

1) a-kahm

2-5) I've answered these before, so I'll paste my previous answer here. If you have any follow up questions, please PM me or ask here! I'd love to help.

For Travel:

I flew in to Tallahassee and got a rent a car. It was the cheapest option for me, and it's only a 1.5 hour drive! I stayed at the comfort inn (<2 miles from campus). It was a nice drive, and the hotel is relatively new (2012) and kept clean. Another huge positive: they have free breakfast! ACOM also provided a shuttle from the hotel to the campus, which was nice of them.Make sure you bring some sort of Citizenship! I brought my US Passport.

Day before the interview:

I came in the day before the interview, and I was able to explore the town. It's nice, but very small. Overall, I saw everything a person would need, but there's only one of everything. Just use the day before to explore and relax if you can! Before you go to sleep, read their mission statement.

Day of the interview:

I woke up, had breakfast, got ready, and drove to campus. The campus is beautiful (albeit small). Just seeing the building gave me a positive first impression. You walk in, and there's a security guard that will guide you. Unlike when I interviewed at LECOM, the security guard at ACOM was very friendly. You'll go the desk, fill out some forms, and get your picture taken (make sure to smile! The admissions committee will see this picture). I got there about 5 minutes early, but I was one of the last ones there. I thought that would be a big deal, but I was accepted, so I suppose it wasn't! You'll sit in a beautiful conference room with the rest of the interviewees. From there, a 2nd year medical student will come and talk to you for about 15 minutes and answer any questions you have. Side note: The dean was at a conference for my interview day, so my schedule might have been a little different from what others had.

The dean of admissions, Dr.Reynolds (real nice and funny guy) will come in and start a lecture about ACOM. It's just a presentation about the school and its vision. Then Miss Goodson will also come and talk to you. Finally, the OMM guy (can't remember his name, but damn was he impressive) will come and lecture on OMM for about 15 minutes. You'll then be taken to the OMM lab where you'll wait for your interviewers to come and get ya. I had 2 male doctors (one MD, one PhD). They knew my application inside and out, and they asked me a lot of questions specific to it. They loved to use follow up questions to everything you said. My biggest advice for the interview: Be yourself and relax! If you try to exaggerate even a little, you'll be caught up in a mess because they'll ask you question after question on everything you say. They asked me a lot of ethical questions, so if you want to brush up on those you can. For questions to ask them, I asked why they chose to come to ACOM and what they liked about it. If you're curious about anything, ask! The interview is very laid back and friendly. As long as you ask something, you're good. You're then taken back to the OMM lab where you wait for a while for current medical students to come by. Note: Be mindful about what you say in here, because the faculty are within ear shot! I loved the school, so I had no complaints. I did hear some others comparing ACOM to other schools at which they had interviewed. I personally don't think that's very smart.

You're then taken by a couple of current ACOM on a tour of the school, followed by a sit down lunch that also serves as a Q&A. You go back to the conference room, where you'll have 2 more short lectures (one on financial aid, the other on matriculation requirements). After that, you're free to go! I just rambled this down off the top of my head, so if you have any follow up questions, please ask me! I'm here to help!

Things I liked the most about ACOM:
  • Felt like the students and faculty were one family
  • Beautiful campus
  • Solid to Great Rotations
  • Faculty seem to have it together
  • They had the highest first class COMLEX passing score in the history of DO schools
    • Note: That's what they told us, and I don't see why they would lie
  • On campus housing! This was a big one for me. I actually paid my housing deposit a couple of days ago ($300)
    • Note: The apartments are wonderful and new, but they are expensive. I know I'm being ripped off ($999 for 1 bedroom and 1 bathroom), but the fact that it's on campus and filled with fellow medical students was just too much for me to pass up.
  • They have a sim center! This was another big plus for me
  • They do a lot of bonding events. I love love loved that! I think this is the biggest reason that ACOM has such a positive atmosphere.
I didn't like the fact that they didn't have research, but a current student has pointed out that a research center will be ready for next year. I'm sure the school has some negatives that I'm missing out, but I didn't really see any. My biggest gripe was the research center, but that's also going to be resolved! I think it's a fantastic school.

Again, if you have any follow up questions, please ask! Good luck!

Reactions: 3 users
Whew! Nice chances. I'll take your word for it. Thanks!

Have you been one of the 66%?
I was complete 1/7. I know some of you were complete a day before me and already received an II, so congrats on that! Do I still have a chance or did I get skipped over?

1) a-kahm

2-5) I've answered these before, so I'll paste my previous answer here. If you have any follow up questions, please PM me or ask here! I'd love to help.

For Travel:

I flew in to Tallahassee and got a rent a car. It was the cheapest option for me, and it's only a 1.5 hour drive! I stayed at the comfort inn (<2 miles from campus). It was a nice drive, and the hotel is relatively new (2012) and kept clean. Another huge positive: they have free breakfast! ACOM also provided a shuttle from the hotel to the campus, which was nice of them.Make sure you bring some sort of Citizenship! I brought my US Passport.

Day before the interview:

I came in the day before the interview, and I was able to explore the town. It's nice, but very small. Overall, I saw everything a person would need, but there's only one of everything. Just use the day before to explore and relax if you can! Before you go to sleep, read their mission statement.

Day of the interview:

I woke up, had breakfast, got ready, and drove to campus. The campus is beautiful (albeit small). Just seeing the building gave me a positive first impression. You walk in, and there's a security guard that will guide you. Unlike when I interviewed at LECOM, the security guard at ACOM was very friendly. You'll go the desk, fill out some forms, and get your picture taken (make sure to smile! The admissions committee will see this picture). I got there about 5 minutes early, but I was one of the last ones there. I thought that would be a big deal, but I was accepted, so I suppose it wasn't! You'll sit in a beautiful conference room with the rest of the interviewees. From there, a 2nd year medical student will come and talk to you for about 15 minutes and answer any questions you have. Side note: The dean was at a conference for my interview day, so my schedule might have been a little different from what others had.

The dean of admissions, Dr.Reynolds (real nice and funny guy) will come in and start a lecture about ACOM. It's just a presentation about the school and its vision. Then Miss Goodson will also come and talk to you. Finally, the OMM guy (can't remember his name, but damn was he impressive) will come and lecture on OMM for about 15 minutes. You'll then be taken to the OMM lab where you'll wait for your interviewers to come and get ya. I had 2 male doctors (one MD, one PhD). They knew my application inside and out, and they asked me a lot of questions specific to it. They loved to use follow up questions to everything you said. My biggest advice for the interview: Be yourself and relax! If you try to exaggerate even a little, you'll be caught up in a mess because they'll ask you question after question on everything you say. They asked me a lot of ethical questions, so if you want to brush up on those you can. For questions to ask them, I asked why they chose to come to ACOM and what they liked about it. If you're curious about anything, ask! The interview is very laid back and friendly. As long as you ask something, you're good. You're then taken back to the OMM lab where you wait for a while for current medical students to come by. Note: Be mindful about what you say in here, because the faculty are within ear shot! I loved the school, so I had no complaints. I did hear some others comparing ACOM to other schools at which they had interviewed. I personally don't think that's very smart.

You're then taken by a couple of current ACOM on a tour of the school, followed by a sit down lunch that also serves as a Q&A. You go back to the conference room, where you'll have 2 more short lectures (one on financial aid, the other on matriculation requirements). After that, you're free to go! I just rambled this down off the top of my head, so if you have any follow up questions, please ask me! I'm here to help!

Things I liked the most about ACOM:
  • Felt like the students and faculty were one family
  • Beautiful campus
  • Solid to Great Rotations
  • Faculty seem to have it together
  • They had the highest first class COMLEX passing score in the history of DO schools
    • Note: That's what they told us, and I don't see why they would lie
  • On campus housing! This was a big one for me. I actually paid my housing deposit a couple of days ago ($300)
    • Note: The apartments are wonderful and new, but they are expensive. I know I'm being ripped off ($999 for 1 bedroom and 1 bathroom), but the fact that it's on campus and filled with fellow medical students was just too much for me to pass up.
  • They have a sim center! This was another big plus for me
  • They do a lot of bonding events. I love love loved that! I think this is the biggest reason that ACOM has such a positive atmosphere.
I didn't like the fact that they didn't have research, but a current student has pointed out that a research center will be ready for next year. I'm sure the school has some negatives that I'm missing out, but I didn't really see any. My biggest gripe was the research center, but that's also going to be resolved! I think it's a fantastic school.

Again, if you have any follow up questions, please ask! Good luck!
Thanks! That's a very thorough review and it answers all my questions. Thanks for taking the time to copy it over!