Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine (ACOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was complete 1/7. I know some of you were complete a day before me and already received an II, so congrats on that! Do I still have a chance or did I get skipped over?
I'm not sure, but I hope you have a chance. I'd be the wrong one to ask lol. If you don't get an II soon, maybe I'll be more helpful after my Feb 12 interview. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
1) a-kahm

2-5) I've answered these before, so I'll paste my previous answer here. If you have any follow up questions, please PM me or ask here! I'd love to help.

For Travel:

I flew in to Tallahassee and got a rent a car. It was the cheapest option for me, and it's only a 1.5 hour drive! I stayed at the comfort inn (<2 miles from campus). It was a nice drive, and the hotel is relatively new (2012) and kept clean. Another huge positive: they have free breakfast! ACOM also provided a shuttle from the hotel to the campus, which was nice of them.Make sure you bring some sort of Citizenship! I brought my US Passport.

Day before the interview:

I came in the day before the interview, and I was able to explore the town. It's nice, but very small. Overall, I saw everything a person would need, but there's only one of everything. Just use the day before to explore and relax if you can! Before you go to sleep, read their mission statement.

Day of the interview:

I woke up, had breakfast, got ready, and drove to campus. The campus is beautiful (albeit small). Just seeing the building gave me a positive first impression. You walk in, and there's a security guard that will guide you. Unlike when I interviewed at LECOM, the security guard at ACOM was very friendly. You'll go the desk, fill out some forms, and get your picture taken (make sure to smile! The admissions committee will see this picture). I got there about 5 minutes early, but I was one of the last ones there. I thought that would be a big deal, but I was accepted, so I suppose it wasn't! You'll sit in a beautiful conference room with the rest of the interviewees. From there, a 2nd year medical student will come and talk to you for about 15 minutes and answer any questions you have. Side note: The dean was at a conference for my interview day, so my schedule might have been a little different from what others had.

The dean of admissions, Dr.Reynolds (real nice and funny guy) will come in and start a lecture about ACOM. It's just a presentation about the school and its vision. Then Miss Goodson will also come and talk to you. Finally, the OMM guy (can't remember his name, but damn was he impressive) will come and lecture on OMM for about 15 minutes. You'll then be taken to the OMM lab where you'll wait for your interviewers to come and get ya. I had 2 male doctors (one MD, one PhD). They knew my application inside and out, and they asked me a lot of questions specific to it. They loved to use follow up questions to everything you said. My biggest advice for the interview: Be yourself and relax! If you try to exaggerate even a little, you'll be caught up in a mess because they'll ask you question after question on everything you say. They asked me a lot of ethical questions, so if you want to brush up on those you can. For questions to ask them, I asked why they chose to come to ACOM and what they liked about it. If you're curious about anything, ask! The interview is very laid back and friendly. As long as you ask something, you're good. You're then taken back to the OMM lab where you wait for a while for current medical students to come by. Note: Be mindful about what you say in here, because the faculty are within ear shot! I loved the school, so I had no complaints. I did hear some others comparing ACOM to other schools at which they had interviewed. I personally don't think that's very smart.

You're then taken by a couple of current ACOM on a tour of the school, followed by a sit down lunch that also serves as a Q&A. You go back to the conference room, where you'll have 2 more short lectures (one on financial aid, the other on matriculation requirements). After that, you're free to go! I just rambled this down off the top of my head, so if you have any follow up questions, please ask me! I'm here to help!

Things I liked the most about ACOM:
  • Felt like the students and faculty were one family
  • Beautiful campus
  • Solid to Great Rotations
  • Faculty seem to have it together
  • They had the highest first class COMLEX passing score in the history of DO schools
    • Note: That's what they told us, and I don't see why they would lie
  • On campus housing! This was a big one for me. I actually paid my housing deposit a couple of days ago ($300)
    • Note: The apartments are wonderful and new, but they are expensive. I know I'm being ripped off ($999 for 1 bedroom and 1 bathroom), but the fact that it's on campus and filled with fellow medical students was just too much for me to pass up.
  • They have a sim center! This was another big plus for me
  • They do a lot of bonding events. I love love loved that! I think this is the biggest reason that ACOM has such a positive atmosphere.
I didn't like the fact that they didn't have research, but a current student has pointed out that a research center will be ready for next year. I'm sure the school has some negatives that I'm missing out, but I didn't really see any. My biggest gripe was the research center, but that's also going to be resolved! I think it's a fantastic school.

Again, if you have any follow up questions, please ask! Good luck!

Dr. Hayes! That man is brilliant.

Anyone form the 1/15 group hear anything?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think we should hear back this week by the latest! Let's hope for some good news!

Members don't see this ad :)
Dr. Hayes! That man is brilliant. !

I had the privilege of being interviewed by him! He was very genuine but straightforward with me. I couldn't be more excited to start next fall

Reactions: 1 users
I had the privilege of being interviewed by him! He was very genuine but straightforward with me. I couldn't be more excited to start next fall

You lucky bastard haha. I thought my interview went well, but I would've LOVED to have been interviewed by him. You could see the passion in his eyes!

I had Dr. Powell! It was definitely my favorite interview I've been too. Easily my top xhoice

You lucky bastard haha. I thought my interview went well, but I would've LOVED to have been interviewed by him. You could see the passion in his eyes!

Hahaha yeah he was awesome. His passion was very contagious!! I was super excited to see he was my interviewer after his presentation. The interview day was a really top notch experience for me. Another bonus was to see how involved Dr. Lenz was in the interview day. He was the only dean present at any of the 4 interviews I attended!

I was complete 12/17 and still nothing :( is this bad news?

Stats? This school is excellent at getting back to its student. You may have been deemed tier 2 if you have a lackluster GPA or MCAT

Probably not a very encouraging sign but I imagine they've definitely looked at your profile and there's no rejection yet - so you might still be in the race. Lots of people will turn down ACOM for MDs or other DO schools, so don't lose all hope yet. I've been in your shoes, just stay positive, you'll be a doctor one day

We have 14 days to make the $2000 deposit, should we be accepted, correct? I'm probably going to have to get a credit card just to pay that -_-

We have 14 days to make the $2000 deposit, should we be accepted, correct? I'm probably going to have to get a credit card just to pay that -_-

Yup, $2000 holds your spot in the class. Unless you're accepted after May 15th, which would be pretty bizarre considering your interview date

Members don't see this ad :)
There's a Feb. 5th opening, somebody should jump on that...

I think imma keep my current spot. I heard there was a list of hotels close to the school...?

Stats? This school is excellent at getting back to its student. You may have been deemed tier 2 if you have a lackluster GPA or MCAT

502 MCAT sGPA 3.2 cGPA 3.2 gGPA 4.0

I've got a 505 cGPA-3.54 SGPA-3.74
I wonder how this will be. I hope it will be enough.

If you had applied the first day, I'd say yes. Now, you still might get in, and I hope you do. But it is late in the cycle

1/15 Interview group checking in, we should hear back this week!

If you had applied the first day, I'd say yes. Now, you still might get in, and I hope you do. But it is late in the cycle
I got a secondary the day after submitting primary, and have already sent the secondary too. Fingers crossed.

For those of you that have received an II, what sort of timeline was your app process? And was it by phone or email ?

For those of you that have received an II, what sort of timeline was your app process? And was it by phone or email ?

Hey! I'm rooting for you. I got my secondary 3 days after my primary, and my interview about 1-1.5 weeks after via e-mail. Good luck!

Hey! I'm rooting for you. I got my secondary 3 days after my primary, and my interview about 1-1.5 weeks after via e-mail. Good luck!
Thanks! I need all the luck I can get!

Love your avatar, btw.

Don't forget to also check your emails! I got the email before I got the call. Good luck to everyone!

The committee met today for decisions on interviewees from the previous 2 weeks. Don't know when calls will be going out..

The wait is killing me!!

Just removed myself from the waitlist here. I hope someone else gets in because of it. Good luck everyone!

Accepted! Can't wait to see everyone in the fall!

Reactions: 9 users
Accepted!

Reactions: 9 users
Accepted. I cried on the phone. I think they might take my acceptance back because I probably sounded emotionally unstable. Can't wait for the fall.

Reactions: 10 users
phone call from dr.reynolds!

Reactions: 6 users
Congrats y'all! Save some acceptances for us Feb interviewees!