Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine (ACOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does "copy" of your birth certificate mean photocopy or original copy?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm just bringing a copy.

Edit: photocopy. Loll
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Hey @hiijakd or @letsDOmedschool I just had one question.

I'm planning on getting to dothan early tomorrow. I wanted to stop by campus so I knew where to go for my interview Friday.

Is parking regulated heavily or could i sneak my car with the medical students for 10 minutes?

Thanks again,

Members don't see this ad :)

I'm planning on getting to dothan early tomorrow. I wanted to stop by campus so I knew where to go for my interview Friday.

Is parking regulated heavily or could i sneak my car with the medical students for 10 minutes?

Thanks again,

Parking isn't regulated at all, you will understand why when you see the parking lot.

Wait to backpack on that, are we allowed to just park in the lot when we arrive for our interview? Or do we need a pass situation?

Thanks again,

Wait to backpack on that, are we allowed to just park in the lot when we arrive for our interview? Or do we need a pass situation?

I'm a first year here. they annoucned recently that they were going to start check cars for the stickers. Although I'm sure you could easily get away with parking there, they also have visitor parking spots right in front of the school next to the president's and dean's parking spots. Just park there.

I'm a first year here. they annoucned recently that they were going to start check cars for the stickers. Although I'm sure you could easily get away with parking there, they also have visitor parking spots right in front of the school next to the president's and dean's parking spots. Just park there.

I'm a 4th year, they told us that too. Except we didn't have stickers, they just wrote our plates down. They never actually checked. They have at least 3x the amount of spots than they need (at least until they build a 2nd building).

Does "copy" of your birth certificate mean photocopy or original copy?
Proof of Citizenship (US birth certificate, certificate of naturalization, valid US passport or unexpired permanent resident alien card). Driver’s license or emailed/mailed copies are insufficient. Original documents must be presented for authentication purposes.

This is straight from the email so i dont think a photocopy will be enough but who knows

Well I don't have my original birth certificate so a copy is gonna have to do!

Hope to hear something soon! Good luck to all who have interviews tomorrow! Be safe.

On the first day of orientation, they asked for valid ID for those that didnt have it during the interview. So dont fret too much about it now in case you dont have the originals.

I would order a new birth certificate, you will need it at some point in this process. Also, I would check and make sure your drivers license is compliant with the REAL ID Act of 2005, if not starting in 2017 you will need a passport to board domestic flights. If you have to get a new ID you will need you SS card AND birth certificate to get an ID that is compliant with the REAL ID act.

They ask for a copy of the birth certificate in the 2016-2017 Student Interview Book that they sent with the II

Members don't see this ad :)
For proof of citizenship, don't you just need to bring one out of 3 items? Or have to bring all of them?

Your drivers license, AND your birth certificate OR original un-expired passport.

Someone remind me why I thought flying Spirit was a good idea????

Complete email today.

I'm excited to see it! Still in St. Louis waiting for my flight to PCB. Won't get into Dothan until after 5 actually. Didn't know my flight wasn't non-stop!

How many are doing dinner today?

Y'all are gonna have to do dinner without me. I'm stuck at the airport and god knows when this flight is actually leaving. Have fun!

Y'all are gonna have to do dinner without me. I'm stuck at the airport and god knows when this flight is actually leaving. Have fun!

I had the same exact problem last week at Chicago international then Detroit on my return flight :rolleyes:

anyone down for celebratory post-interview dinner tomorrow night? this entire day of airplane food is killing me ):

I would like to grab dinner with everyone! but im just now getting my bag from baggage claim in atlanta, probably going to get in too late. Looking forward to meeting everyone! Good luck!

Firestone pizza is legit by the way if you want suggestions

I'm here right now and I'm loving it

I'm down for tonight if people will be around!

Just got into Dothan! It's a lot bigger than I was expecting. Stopped at Olive Garden lol haven't eaten since 7:30 this morning!

Just got into Dothan! It's a lot bigger than I was expecting. Stopped at Olive Garden lol haven't eaten since 7:30 this morning!

I thought the same thing about the size, haven't even made it across town yet and already way larger than I thought!

Good luck tomorrow!!! I will walk by and make and make a horrifying face for you all.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 3 users
High-five to all of you fun-sounding folks that are interviewing tomorrow!!!!!! Afterwards, I'd love to read some of your feedback, if at all possible :)

Does anyone know the most effective way to contact ACOM? I sent and paid for my secondary in July but they just sent me an email today saying they never received it and I should complete it in two weeks. I tried emailing them but they haven't responded.

Does anyone know the most effective way to contact ACOM? I sent and paid for my secondary in July but they just sent me an email today saying they never received it and I should complete it in two weeks. I tried emailing them but they haven't responded.
Try calling them first thing in the morning 7-7:30am local time. They've always answered when I've called. Ashley Outlaw—she's a Superhero!!!

Call them first thing in the morning 7-7:30am local time. They've always answered when I've called. Ashley Outlaw—she's a Superhero!!!
Do you mind giving me her phone number? I couldn't find any on ACOM's website.

Do you mind giving me her phone number? I couldn't find any on ACOM's website.
Sure, I don't remember what page/link I got this from, but it is a direct number to Ashley. She's prompt and very personable!! (334) 944-4006

Sure, I don't remember what page/link I got this from, but it is a direct number to Ashley. She's prompt and very personable!! (334) 944-4006
Thanks!!

Well this school is now #1 on my list

For those interviewing next week you are going to be blown away

Reactions: 7 users
Agreed! Beyond impressed.

Reactions: 4 users
I'm driving right now for the next couple hours to get home for work tomorrow but I'll follow up

I hope you have a safe trip home! I'll standby and look forward to your post!! Thanks :)

Drop some details when yall get a chance!

Interview was stressful? Long day? Any out of the world crazy questions? cool campus? hot weather? surrounding area ok? etc...

I'm just relaxing in my hotel now so I figured I'd chime in.

The day was very long. I'm exhausted but it was a great experience. My interview was very conversational, not stressful at all. I didn't get any tough or ethical questions. It went by super fast, was about 25 minutes long but seemed like 10. I couldn't really tell how I did though. They said we should ideally hear back within a week, 2 max.

Campus is very impressive and staff is excellent. It's obvious that ACOM goes above and beyond for their students and everyone seemed really happy.

It was pretty hot but we were inside all day with AC so it wasn't bad. Dothan is actually a lot bigger than I thought. It has everything you need and more in my opinion. The students mentioned some nice parks around the area so I may check those out.

Feel free to PM me for any other details!

Reactions: 4 users
I agree with @getfat and @cjcarter!

general impression: loved the school, campus, faculty, and students we came in contact with. everyone from the dean to financial aid to administrative staff were kind, compassionate, and genuine. sounds cliche, but definitely felt "like a big family." went waaaay above my expectations (not saying I had low expectations or anything, just went in pretty neutral).

interview day overview:
- arrived around 8:15am when check-in starts, parking is plentiful and seems like we can just park anywhere. the medical school building is absolutely beautiful, very new and state of the art with lovely architecture.
- checked in, received name tags, signed a bunch of waivers, provided passport/birth certificate and drivers license which they made copies of.
- was seated in conference room and chatted with other interviewees before presentation started at 9am: overview of the school, what the school had to offer, history, administration etc. the information wasn't anything new, but it was the general overtone of the presenters. everyone who presented had the central theme of caring about the students, gearing the curriculum towards how to help them succeed, and really taking student feedback seriously.
- OMT instructor spoke about osteopathic medicine; incredibly passionate and genuine professor, really defined the general atmosphere here.
- went upstairs, a group of students were interviewed first (two interviewers and one interviewee, about 30 minutes each) while others were given tour of second floor anatomy lab, OMT lab, patient rooms, simulation rooms etc.
- current student did Q&A (very honest and down to earth guy!) while remaining students were swapped in and out for interviews.
- interview itself was pretty laid back as others have mentioned, although I did receive one ethical question and some directed ones. nothing too shocking, and my interviewers were kind and engaging. I definitely recommend knowing your application well; these interviews are open-file.
- lunchtime with student ambassadors coming in to answer questions and then taking groups on a tour of floors 1 &3, library, facilities and so on. the students we spoke to seemed to really love it here, which is always a good sign.
- went back to conference room for financial aid presentation and curriculum overview, ending on a high note with vision for the future of the med school.

pros:
- amazing administration, curriculum, and support from all the staff and professors.
- passionate - REALLY passionate - faculty, especially where OMT is concerned. it's not just another subject they have to teach; everyone here honestly believes in the osteopathic philosophy and is committed towards furthering it.
- shining new facilities, state of the art technology, well-planned simulations all geared towards students and learning.
- on-campus housing at really affordable rates (not owned by the school, but super close by).
- very transparent, open, and honest administration. this is so rare and such an amazing pro.
- happy students!

possible cons (really depends on how you look at it, and some of these are personal preference):
- surrounding area is very tame, especially if you come from a more urban area or big city (could also be a pro).
- the weather is incredibly humid.. don't know if I've felt actually dry since landing..
- textbooks are computerized, although there is a library copy which can be borrowed but must stay in the library.
- speaking of the library, there isn't really a library.. although plenty of other places to study like private study rooms, OMT lab, dining area, lecture hall etc.

.. this ended up being longer than I intended, oops! but decisions are sent 1-2 weeks after interviews: waitlist, accepted, declined. definitely a top contender for me after today. :) good luck to everyone else who interviewed, and it was amazing meeting all of you!

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
First year here: The people who interviewed today looked great! Lots of smiles and positive energy. I hope you all liked the school as much as I do! If anyone has any questions, let me know! :claps:

Reactions: 5 users
As others have said, I was SUPER impressed by the school today. It was a great, positive experience and it is clear that the leadership and faculty truly care about their students and community "stakeholders". The facility is beautiful and very cutting edge and is totally a place where I can see myself spending long days/nights studying in the future :-D

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users