Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine (ACOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Submitted my secondary 8/13 and still no complete email. Should I bother reaching out to them or is this the standard timeline? I figure they're really busy with their interviews/acceptances as of right now but I'm not sure.

Members don't see this ad.

Submitted my secondary 8/13 and still no complete email. Should I bother reaching out to them or is this the standard timeline? I figure they're really busy with their interviews/acceptances as of right now but I'm not sure.

It would't hurt to call the admissions to make sure they have access to everything. Everyone is really nice there so someone will look into it.

You should email them. That is what I did and was completed right after. They are very responsive to the inquiry and friendly as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Completed 08/25 and nothing yet. I see lots of people have already been accepted. Am I too late for this school too?

Completed 08/25 and nothing yet. I see lots of people have already been accepted. Am I too late for this school too?
no. i didn't even interview until march my year but it is getting more competitive as the reputation of the school builds.

Reactions: 1 users
On my interview scheduling screen, there are plenty of spots left for December and even a few for November. They must still be sending out II guys.

Reactions: 1 user
Congrats to everyone! I am very excited to interview at this school. I will be down on Sept 23rd.

Wow the earliest interview dates were in November...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

II the very first one. Complete 08/25. II: 08/31.

Is interviewing in November late? That would be ridiculous lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
My first II!! I'm so excited!

Reactions: 5 users
On my interview scheduling screen, there are plenty of spots left for December and even a few for November. They must still be sending out II guys.
You are right.

Wow so do they only interview into December or maybe they have another schedule for the new year? Excited for November!!

Definitely not late, and you guys will LOVE this school! I'm pretty sure they interview way into the new year!

I'm scheduled for 11/18, anyone else pick that date??

Wow so do they only interview into December or maybe they have another schedule for the new year? Excited for November!!
if my memory is correct interviews ran into May last year

Reactions: 2 users
II! Scheduled for 11/18. So excited to check out ACOM :)

Reactions: 3 users
I'm not sure if this was discussed in prior posts but can anyone speak to the quality of rotations and whether they are ward or preceptor based? I know this is a new school but it seems to be really building a good reputation which is encouraging! I think I'm going to love this school :)

What company did you get for a rental car?
Just wondering why people go with a rental car over getting a taxi? Don't you just need a ride to and from the school? I don't have experience with renting a car...

Just wondering why people go with a rental car over getting a taxi? Don't you just need a ride to and from the school? I don't have experience with renting a car...
My guess is that if the area doesn't have a lot of taxis, it may be expensive and also inconvenient if you have to go to the store or want to explore the area. I'll be looking into renting a car

I flew into PCB so I needed a rental car to get to and from the airport.

Personally, I needed a car for the three hour drive from ATL to Dothan, going to and from the school, and going out for dinner!

There is only one cab company in Dothan, it's called "call a cab". Every ride I took with them was a minimum of $15. So you end up spending a decent amount of factor in rides in both directions to be picked up/ dropped off from the airport and the school. Personally I would have rented a car. But if you are under 25 you will have an extra fee. So it's up to you!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Does ACOM give out silent rejections because I'm starting to feel like I got one...

There is only one cab company in Dothan, it's called "call a cab". Every ride I took with them was a minimum of $15. So you end up spending a decent amount of factor in rides in both directions to be picked up/ dropped off from the airport and the school. Personally I would have rented a car. But if you are under 25 you will have an extra fee. So it's up to you!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Y'ALL. Use USAA to avoid the <25 fee!

Another silly question, where do I go to find rental cars? Do I google what airport I'm flying into? Or each individual rental company website? Or is there a Kayak version for rental cars? Haha like I said, I don't have any experience with rental cars...

Oh duh. Using Priceline to find flights, and just saw the "cars" tab. Sheesh.

But if anyone has any other suggestions, they are appreciated.

Am I the only one in this forum for Dec 2nd?

If it helps, remember, there is an ACOM shuttle bus that takes you to and from the Comfort Suites Hotel. There are also fast food places that you can walk to from the hotel if I remember correctly.

Do you remember when you submitted your secondary?

Oh geez, errrr, 6/22 wow! I had an issue with an LOR and an issue with them marking it complete after they received it. More importantly, life happened and things have been very hectic here.

So keep your chin up, haha!

Interesting to see how Interview dates already filled up to Nov now. They must have received lot of applications this year.

Good luck guys. :)

Reactions: 2 users
Interesting to see how Interview dates already filled up to Nov now. They must have received lot of applications this year.

Good luck guys. :)
There are also only about 2-4 days per month where they have interviews so I'd imagine that makes them fill up much faster. Not sure if this is a norm for other schools since this is my first time signing up for an interview.

There are also only about 2-4 days per month where they have interviews so I'd imagine that makes them fill up much faster. Not sure if this is a norm for other schools since this is my first time signing up for an interview.
When i signed up for mine, they have slot open every Friday or so, so about 4 interviews/month. If it filled up to Nov now, I think they have sent out about 200 interviews already

How long did it take for people to hear back after submitting secondaries? The completed email I received said they would give a decision in three weeks and it has been a little over that time. Should I wait another week before calling?

How long did it take for people to hear back after submitting secondaries? The completed email I received said they would give a decision in three weeks and it has been a little over that time. Should I wait another week before calling?
Give them sometimes. Since I apply early, I heard back in like 4 days. But I assume they have tons of apps in already.

I would wait a week more. I got my II 2-3 days after the complete email but that was over a month ago. If you're really worried you can give admissions a call and ask them if anything is hindering your application.

I received the completed application form email on August 10th. Is that considered late?

I received the completed application form email on August 10th. Is that considered late?

You mean your application was complete August 10th? If so, then I don't think that's late at all. I was complete almost two weeks before that.