Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine (ACOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
is the "supplemental application received" email basically the same as a complete email?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm hoping today is the day for the 8/19 interview group :nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting:

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just crossed the Alabama state line. So nervous but excited for tomorrow. Good luck, fellow SDNers!

Reactions: 7 users
Good luck to everyone interviewing tomorrow and to those who are waiting to hear back!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 6 users
just got the application in review email. fingers crossed

Reactions: 1 users
I know we should know our applications very well, but do you think they'll ask specifics about MCAT scores, why is it low (score 26), why didn't you retake it and so on? Thanks in advance.

Reactions: 1 user
I know we should know our applications very well, but do you think they'll ask specifics about MCAT scores, why is it low (score 26), why didn't you retake it and so on? Thanks in advance.
They may. Remember they can ask anything abt the application

A score of 26 is not that low compared to their averages, so don't worry about it. In the event that it should come up(although that would be rare), don't make excuses, explain what your weaknesses were and how you improved them. Good luck!!!

If you got to the interview stage, they are totally fine with your stats, and I doubt they would waste time in the interview asking you why you didn't retake the MCAT. Also, a 26 is not low. I have a 502 and was accepted.

I think you should be prepared to answer it

Members don't see this ad :)
I was asked about two C's on my transcript so it's possible.

That's so interesting you say that, because I had the complete opposite experience. Nothing about grades or MCAT. So I stand corrected!

I disagree with this.
you think it's wise to just go in there and be confident that they wont ask? i agree that they probably dont ask about it but its a bit careless to not prepare just in case they do

I was also asked about a C- in anatomy too. And they asked it was very important in our curriculum so how was I planned to improve that.

That is interesting, seems like everyone had a unique experience. "Why did you get a C in physics?" I was panicking on the inside trying to come up with an eloquent way of saying I didn't understand anything in that class no matter how hard I tried

Can anyone comment on the "ethics" questions that were asked during the interview?

Thanks everyone:) I am in the overthinking phase. I'll prepare for it but no overkill!

Thanks everyone:) I am in the overthinking phase. I'll prepare for it but no overkill!
Good attitude. I only prepare to answer why medicine, do, and ACOM and why there's a C- in anatomy and C in neuroscience

Anybody know the rates for the on-campus housing?

I have a 499. So relatively low. They did ask about it, and what I would do if I had to take it again.

Guess I need to get ready to speak to my (very) low grades. I'm almost wondering if I just got an II because of my MCAT score... Does anyone know their average or know if they look more heavily at GPA or MCAT in their admissions decisions?

Also - to any current students - is there much of a gay community? I don't want to make any assumptions, but how accepted is being gay at the school? I didn't see any LGBT student groups so I'm curious to learn more. If you want to PM me, I'd love to start a dialogue. Thanks!

Guess I need to get ready to speak to my (very) low grades. I'm almost wondering if I just got an II because of my MCAT score... Does anyone know their average or know if they look more heavily at GPA or MCAT in their admissions decisions?

Also - to any current students - is there much of a gay community? I don't want to make any assumptions, but how accepted is being gay at the school? I didn't see any LGBT student groups so I'm curious to learn more. If you want to PM me, I'd love to start a dialogue. Thanks!
I really think if you got an II they are okay with your stats. But from above, prepare to answer questions about anything in your file. Mind sharing your stats? They probably aren't as low as you think :)

I was asked about mine but not in a bad way, just more curious.

Quick question- Since it's open file and everything, is it bad to talk about the same stories/experiences we mentioned in the essay?

I really think if you got an II they are okay with your stats. But from above, prepare to answer questions about anything in your file. Mind sharing your stats? They probably aren't as low as you think :)

I was around 2.9cGPA/2.69sGPA. 518 MCAT. It's a crapshoot.

Reactions: 1 users
Quick question- Since it's open file and everything, is it bad to talk about the same stories/experiences we mentioned in the essay?

If you can bring some additional info on that one.

Like when they ask why medicine, I avoided talking about my same personal statement again (generally, I talked about the same idea, but not completely identical). But then, the interviewer ask something in my personal statement related to why I chose medicine, and I did confirm it with him too.

I would say no. I capitalized on things I had put down in my essays and it ended up generating some good conversations. I thought it helped along the way as long as you are able to add inforrmation to it.

I was around 2.9cGPA/2.69sGPA. 518 MCAT. It's a crapshoot.
damn dude if you kill a post bacc, you can def get into some allopathic schools w that MCAT. even if you have your sights only set on DO, look into post baccs while youre applying

$999/mo for a 1 bedroom. That includes all utilities, unless you're a super high energy utilizer in which case you can be billed for the additional energy usage. It's cheaper to live in a 2 bedroom, of course. Studio apartments are about $750/mo I think(?) not sure. A significant portion of the class lives on campus. You can find much cheaper housing that is not on campus.

Do you know how much for a 2 br?

$999/mo for a 1 bedroom. That includes all utilities, unless you're a super high energy utilizer in which case you can be billed for the additional energy usage. It's cheaper to live in a 2 bedroom, of course. Studio apartments are about $750/mo I think(?) not sure. A significant portion of the class lives on campus. You can find much cheaper housing that is not on campus.
I like the studio one better. I probably get that one since I'm living alone.

I haven't read too far back in this thread but have my interview 9/9. In-state applicant and this is my first med school interview. I'm definitely getting nervous but really excited! Hope to see some of you guys down there

Thanks for the answers guys! One last thing- is the interview a bad place to bring up touchy topics like domestic violence/abuse and stuff if they played a role in your life in some way or another?

Thanks for the answers guys! One last thing- is the interview a bad place to bring up touchy topics like domestic violence/abuse and stuff if they played a role in your life in some way or another?

I wouldn't bring it up unless they ask specifically for things like challenges you overcame but that's me, each to their own
Relax, be yourself, and you'll ace this, good luck! :)

I wouldn't bring it up unless they ask specifically for things like challenges you overcame but that's me, each to their own
Relax, be yourself, and you'll ace this, good luck! :)

Thank you!!