Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine (ACOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So I feel like the biggest idiot. Moved up my interview date last minute to tomorrow night and while prepping, I just realized that a driver's license is not a valid form of id apparently. For those that have interviewed, is ACOM super strict about this? Did I just blow a bunch of money and chances here because I didn't bring a passport?
Do you have a birth certificate or can someone take a picture of it or scan it and send/print it? I'm sure they will work with you but I am not sure how strict they are. I would bet they would take a copy of one

Members don't see this ad.

Do you have a birth certificate or can someone take a picture of it or scan it and send/print it? I'm sure they will work with you but I am not sure how strict they are. I would bet they would take a copy of one

I called my parents and they said they were gonna send me a picture of it. The email also says that emailed/mailed copies aren't enough but I guess having it is better than not having it.

I called my parents and they said they were gonna send me a picture of it. The email also says that emailed/mailed copies aren't enough but I guess having it is better than not having it.
Yeah. They take a copy of it anyway and I feel like others have only brought a copy as well. Just explain the situation if they question it and give them the photocopy. Don't let this trip you, you got dis ;)! They are really nice and understanding so I think it will be just fine!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah. They take a copy of it anyway and I feel like others have only brought a copy as well. Just explain the situation if they question it and give them the photocopy. Don't let this trip you, you got dis ;)! They are really nice and understanding so I think it will be just fine!

This is a huge relief God Bless you and SDN! :cigar:

Hi, I'd love to interview at ACOM, but the 14 hour drive has got me like :scared:

Best of Luck to everyone!

(I'm opening my spot up for October 28th!)

So I feel like the biggest idiot. Moved up my interview date last minute to tomorrow night and while prepping, I just realized that a driver's license is not a valid form of id apparently. For those that have interviewed, is ACOM super strict about this? Did I just blow a bunch of money and chances here because I didn't bring a passport?

I think they are going to want to see the original, not just a copy. But dont worry, they were asking people to bring them to orientation earlier this year. Its not a big deal if you dont bring it to your interview.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey ya'll! Was able to squeeze into the 10/28 interview group next Friday! Who's going?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users

Don't stress! I accidentally brought my SSN card instead of my birth certificate and they just had me scan and email them my birth certificate later. Super nice about it!

Any suggestions on places to eat here?

Firestone Pizza!!! 10/10 would recommend
La Parilla (Mexican)
Blue Plate (Southern/BBQ)
Mikata (Japanese Steakhouse; expensive but worth it)

Members don't see this ad :)
When would waitlisted people hear back?

I remember they said they look at the waitlisted while admitting applicants but I have yet to see anybody getting pulled from the waitlist

Honestly I'm not expecting them to look at waitlist until May. All we can do is keep updating mr Willis with anything important

I remember they said they look at the waitlisted while admitting applicants but I have yet to see anybody getting pulled from the waitlist

Honestly I'm not expecting them to look at waitlist until May. All we can do is keep updating mr Willis with anything important

Are uou waitlisted? This sucks haha now we got months of suspense/anticipation

FYI I'm about to cancel my interview for 12/2 if anyone wants to snag it :)

So after finishing my interview here, I can see why everyone is raving about ACOM. Everyone here is SO nice and the faculty is truly passionate about the school and their mission. Dr. Reynolds, Mr. Willis, Dr. Hayes, and so on were all extremely approachable, and made me feel like I was part of a family even during interview orientation. Dr. Hayes in particular spoke about Osteopathic medicine in a way that I have never thought about, and has further convinced me on how critical OMT is for patient care. It's crazy how well OMT can work and how little it is used/appreciated. I digress, I would love to come to this school but was sort of clueless on a question regarding a common health problem in the South East region, and would be surprised if I were to get a call from Dr. Reynolds. I'm just gonna take it as a learning experience and work by reading med interview books, doing mock interviews and work on my interview nerves for my future ones.

Reactions: 5 users
So after finishing my interview here, I can see why everyone is raving about ACOM. Everyone here is SO nice and the faculty is truly passionate about the school and their mission. Dr. Reynolds, Mr. Willis, Dr. Hayes, and so on were all extremely approachable, and made me feel like I was part of a family even during interview orientation. Dr. Hayes in particular spoke about Osteopathic medicine in a way that I have never thought about, and has further convinced me on how critical OMT is for patient care. It's crazy how well OMT can work and how little it is used/appreciated. I digress, I would love to come to this school but was sort of clueless on a question regarding a common health problem in the South East region, and would be surprised if I were to get a call from Dr. Reynolds. I'm just gonna take it as a learning experience and work by reading med interview books, doing mock interviews and work on my interview nerves for my future ones.
How you felt about your interview does not matter, how they felt matter and you don't know what they were thinking, so stay positive, you will get that call.

Reactions: 2 users

I got in despite thinking I messed up my interview as well, so keep your head up!

They got me excited about OMT too. Wherever I attend next year, I want them to be as excited as ACOM was about OMT.

This school is incredible. Good luck!

Reactions: 5 users
I just found out that because of conflicting classes I may not be able to complete my second bachelors next spring...does anyone know if this will affect my acceptance? I already have my undergrad degree and all pre-reqs completed.

I just found out that because of conflicting classes I may not be able to complete my second bachelors next spring...does anyone know if this will affect my acceptance? I already have my undergrad degree and all pre-reqs completed.
You need to ask them this question. ASAP.

I had Mr. Willis interview me along with another faculty member. I really hoped he liked me becuase he seems very important at ACOM but he did not ask me many questions :(

It seems like a common theme that everyone felt like they did horribly on their interview lol. Don't stress about it too much man. What's happened, happened, and try to learn from the experience!

I had Mr. Willis interview me along with another faculty member. I really hoped he liked me becuase he seems very important at ACOM but he did not ask me many questions :(
I had him as well and felt the same way, I thought I blew it for sure. Then I got accepted.

I'm definitely calling them first thing Monday morning. Just anxious about it because it's the weekend :/

Let us know how they feel about it. I got a bachelor already and am in extra classes for GPA boost and such, but I wouldn't mind dropping them so I can work more.

Let us know how they feel about it. I got a bachelor already and am in extra classes for GPA boost and such, but I wouldn't mind dropping them so I can work more.

I'll post tomorrow when I find out. I'm hoping it's okay because the academic requirement is a bachelors and completed prerequisites.

I'll post tomorrow when I find out. I'm hoping it's okay because the academic requirement is a bachelors and completed prerequisites.

I'm sure it'll be fine. Were you the guy from Cali? I interviewed same day.

If that's the case then why would not finishing your SECOND Bachelors be an issue? If the requirement is one then one is all you need. :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using SDN mobile

If that's the case then why would not finishing your SECOND Bachelors be an issue? If the requirement is one then one is all you need. :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using SDN mobile

Another section stated that ACOM wants transcripts to confirm what you put on AACOMAS, and I stated my second bachelor's...but hopefully it's just me being overly neurotic.

Nah I put Cali so people wouldn't figure out who I was lol. I'm the other guy from DFW.

Ahh, I didn't even noticed that. Ok, awesome man! Maybe we'll end up here together, we'll see!

Another section stated that ACOM wants transcripts to confirm what you put on AACOMAS, and I stated my second bachelor's...but hopefully it's just me being overly neurotic.

Their interview invite email said that "copies of birth certificates and passports are not acceptable" yet they accepted it. I'm sure if you explain it to them tomorrow morning, it shouldn't be an issue. :) They don't seem to be uptight or anything like that.

Their interview invite email said that "copies of birth certificates and passports are not acceptable" yet they accepted it. I'm sure if you explain it to them tomorrow morning, it shouldn't be an issue. :) They don't seem to be uptight or anything like that.

Yeah I just emailed them a copy of the birth certificate with my DL next to it so there was some form of photo ID with it. No bigge.

Yep just spoke to them and it looks like I worried for no reason! It would've been embarrassing if my acceptance was affected because of Gen Ed class changes that occurred since my first degree D:

Hi 10/21 interviewees! Anyone remember when they said they were reviewing our apps? I was hoping to submit an additional letter of rec before they do, but I think I remember them saying they were reviewing them this morning.

Hi 10/21 interviewees! Anyone remember when they said they were reviewing our apps? I was hoping to submit an additional letter of rec before they do, but I think I remember them saying they were reviewing them this morning.
Yes they said they were meeting on Monday. I would submit it anyway, it can only help you

does the tri-state area means Alabama, Florida and Georgia?

Holy 50 page thread! Does this mean a majority of applicants have been accepted already? I just submitted my secondary for this school and I feel I'm late as all hell. Only saving grace is that I live in the Southern tri-state area.

Holy 50 page thread! Does this mean a majority of applicants have been accepted already? I just submitted my secondary for this school and I feel I'm late as all hell. Only saving grace is that I live in the Southern tri-state area.

Well I think ACOM does interview a lot of people and early. But being in the tri-state area and applying now I'd wager you get an II. Two weeks ago they said they had filled half the class of acceptances I think (tho not deposits/for-sures), but I could be miss-remembering.

Plenty of interview spots in February not taken yet according to my portal. I think this school just has a fast turn around so more people are posting. People were interviewing in August and had a 1 week turnaround for acceptances. Also, because it's a new school, more people are chiming in. Quite a lot of sdners are going here next fall looks like.

It doesn't seem like they accept many per interview group. Obviously more get accepted than who post here or the FB page, but if they are only half full, they must be accepting a few per group since they started pretty early.

I decided to cancel my interview here. Do I need to send an e-mail telling them so they can send an II to someone else, or will they just see I cancelled/don't have an interview scheduled? I don't want to be holding a spot that someone else could use.

I decided to cancel my interview here. Do I need to send an e-mail telling them so they can send an II to someone else, or will they just see I cancelled/don't have an interview scheduled? I don't want to be holding a spot that someone else could use.
I would just shoot an email to bob Willis

Reactions: 4 users
Hey all,

So HUGE shot in the dark but I was wondering if anyone interviewing 10.28.16 would be happening to drive past Fort Walton Beach, FL. I had a rental car booked but I actually got hit by a car today and broke my leg so I won't be able to drive. I'll treat you to dinner and stuff. Please, please let me know.

Thank you!

Hey all,

So HUGE shot in the dark but I was wondering if anyone interviewing 10.28.16 would be happening to drive past Fort Walton Beach, FL. I had a rental car booked but I actually got hit by a car today and broke my leg so I won't be able to drive. I'll treat you to dinner and stuff. Please, please let me know.

Thank you!
I suggest you change your interview date if no one answered this by the end of today. Sorry to hear this.

That's fair. I'm just hoping for this shot in the dark because I already bought my plane tickets...

That's fair. I'm just hoping for this shot in the dark because I already bought my plane tickets...
Oh sorry I totally forgot about it. It's unfortunate to have this happened right before interview date.