Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine (ACOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I brought a plain black leather purse that was big enough to hold my folder but not too large to be ridiculous. I also wore like 3 1/2 inch heels and ended up being like 6'2 in them and towered over my interviewers :laugh: but it made my outfit look more professional than my flats. In the interview attire thread some of the posts discouraged flats with a skirt but said they were okay with pants. Honestly though, whatever you are comfortable in should be fine as long as you look professional!

edited because apparently my fingers cannot hit the right numbers on the keyboard..

Haha awesome! Thank so much! Also, do you mind telling me why you needed a folder?

Members don't see this ad.

Haha awesome! Thank so much! Also, do you mind telling me why you needed a folder?
I brought the folder only because I didn't want my birth certificate or marriage license they asked for to become lost or bent, and I thought just throwing them in my bag looked silly! They also give you a folder with information as well.

I brought the folder only because I didn't want my birth certificate or marriage license they asked for to become lost or bent, and I thought just throwing them in my bag looked silly! They also give you a folder with information as well.

Oh, okay! Thanks! I have heard about bringing an interview portfolio containing my primary, secondary applications, scratch paper, pen, resume. Are any of those necessary to bring to interview day?

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh, okay! Thanks! I have heard about bringing an interview portfolio containing my primary, secondary applications, scratch paper, pen, resume. Are any of those necessary to bring to interview day?
No don't bring those apps or resume to an interview unless they specifically request them (don't think many schools will ask for it). It is totally not needed as they already have your app :). I brought a pen just because, but they also give you one and a note pad too.

Reactions: 1 user
No don't bring those apps or resume to an interview unless they specifically request them (don't think many schools will ask for it). It is totally not needed as they already have your app :). I brought a pen just because, but they also give you one and a note pad too.

Ok, great! Thank you so much for your help! :D

Ok, great! Thank you so much for your help! :D
You are welcome! Oh and please don't wear open toed shoes!! Saw way too many neon pink or blue toenails during my interviews so far!!!

Anyone have any idea on post interview stats? %of ppl that get rejected/WL/accepted.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using SDN mobile

Anyone have any idea on post interview stats? %of ppl that get rejected/WL/accepted.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using SDN mobile

Find my post a couple of pages back. Something like 550 interviews, 2XX acceptances offer, and a class of 16X. I'm not sure about waitlist numbers, someone should ask at the next interview.

So since the 10/7 group hasn't heard yet they'll likely hear tomorrow....do you think that the 10/14 group will too?

So since the 10/7 group hasn't heard yet they'll likely hear tomorrow....do you think that the 10/14 group will too?

I think that's what happened to the group before the 10/7 group. It's still too early in the day to tell though. They might be calling people towards the afternoon when office work slows down.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think that's what happened to the group before the 10/7 group. It's still too early in the day to tell though. They might be calling people towards the afternoon when office work slows down.

But people found out on Fridays right? Not Thursdays?

But people found out on Fridays right? Not Thursdays?

Not necessarily. Mr. Willis said they'll try to keep it under two weeks, but things happen. The first few groups in August/September got acceptances within a week, because school just started. The last group that posted news here received acceptances on 10/6 Thursday morning. I wouldn't be surprise if it came this evening, tomorrow, or next week. I'm no longer anxious about it.

Not necessarily. Mr. Willis said they'll try to keep it under two weeks, but things happen. The first few groups in August/September got acceptances within a week, because school just started. The last group that posted news here received acceptances on 10/6 Thursday morning. I wouldn't be surprise if it came this evening, tomorrow, or next week. I'm no longer anxious about it.

Haha, you actually just increased my anxiety. It's been a long 2 years, and I loved ACOM so much.

Haha, you actually just increased my anxiety. It's been a long 2 years, and I loved ACOM so much.

Haha, yes it certainly been long, but I've been keeping busy and getting my mind off of it. It helps that I'm still taking classes so I got assignments due left and right. I mentioned it elsewhere, but glad I work weekends so my days just zooms by. Having SDN as a background tab doesn't help with the waiting though.

"Having SDN as a background tab doesn't help with the waiting though."

...No....No, it definitely doesn't.

Reactions: 1 users
Any current students on campus tomorrow? Would love to meet some of you - I'll treat you to a Coffee, or even a Beer. It'll be Friday after all.

Just PM me if you're around!

Dr. Reynolds just called, I'm in! Holy @#$%.

Reactions: 12 users
No longer a forever pre-med. Accepted. Never thought the day would come.

Reactions: 11 users
For those of you accepted, what day did you interview?!?!

Interviewed 10/14, Received a call from Alabama, surely enough Dr. Reynold's voice permeated my auditory canals and then the joyous news was delivered on 3 pm on 10/20.

Last edited:
Accepted!!!! Can hardly believe it!!!!

Reactions: 8 users
Interviewed 10/14, Received a call from Alabama, surely enough Dr. Reynolds begining permeated my auditory canals and then the joyous news was delivered on 3 pm on 10/20.

You heard it? For me it was more of a buzzing ringing noise, lol.

Does anyone know if they give out any scholarships or aid? I always hear everyone talking about financial aid awards and checking the different offers from schools once accepted.

Does anyone know if they give out any scholarships or aid? I always hear everyone talking about financial aid awards and checking the different offers from schools once accepted.
They just got sponsored from Blue Cross/Blue Shield regarding scholarship for primary care but I think that's only for third year+. Otherwise, I don't know if they offer any scholarship though lol.

I ate at a random Mexican food place that was okay, but I regret not getting bbq!
Ditto. I ate snack type foods while drilling interview stuff, but man I wish I would have gone to a bbq place.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using SDN mobile

Drove from West palm. Cheapest way but it sure was a boring drive past north florida! Still worth it to save the money imo.
I drove from West Palm too. It was worth it to save that money.

Any suggestions on places to eat here?

Chick Fil A as suggested if you never had it. I asked Dr. Reynolds the same question and he recommended Thai House. I eat Thai food twice a month so I didn't try it.

So I feel like the biggest idiot. Moved up my interview date last minute to tomorrow night and while prepping, I just realized that a driver's license is not a valid form of id apparently. For those that have interviewed, is ACOM super strict about this? Did I just blow a bunch of money and chances here because I didn't bring a passport?