AVC C/O 2018 Hopefuls!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
AVC just e-mailed me saying they hadn't received my supplemental app that I mailed almost a month ago??? Ugh this sucks! :(:(:(
Do you have a tracking number for it? My friend had the same issue and when she tracked it with the number she found out it had made it to the university but got sent to the wrong department!

Members don't see this ad.

Do you have a tracking number for it? My friend had the same issue and when she tracked it with the number she found out it had made it to the university but got sent to the wrong department!
Yes, and the USPS website only said that it had been delivered and when. I sent it to the address on the supplemental: Professional Schools Admissions, Office of the Registrar, UPEI, 550 University Ave. Where did hers go?

In an attempt to save a little cash I chose not to get the tracking number. Obviously, that was a huge mistake. Thankfully they said that if I can get it e-mailed to them today they would still accept it. Thank God! Hopefully it won't negatively effect my application in anyway.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
In an attempt to save a little cash I chose not to get the tracking number. Obviously, that was a huge mistake. Thankfully they said that if I can get it e-mailed to them today they would still accept it. Thank God! Hopefully it won't negatively effect my application in anyway.

I think mine arrived a few days late and I was still okay. Canada Post is notoriously slow here on the island so it is possible that your application is still on its way.

Definitely get tracking on anything and everything vet sschool related. And keep the tracking numbers even after the delivery is confirmed! They come in VERY handy when somone aaccidentally misplaces part of your application.

Confession: I totally forgot about the supplemental for AVC. It just got lost in the shuffle of the other 10 schools I was applying to. I didn't realize until Sharon King emailed me in late November saying they hadn't received it. I emailed it right away and obviously I was fine.

The mail here is insanely slow. My parents FedExed me a gift when I first moved and I didn't get it for a month.

Confession: I totally forgot about the supplemental for AVC. It just got lost in the shuffle of the other 10 schools I was applying to. I didn't realize until Sharon King emailed me in late November saying they hadn't received it. I emailed it right away and obviously I was fine.

The mail here is insanely slow. My parents FedExed me a gift when I first moved and I didn't get it for a month.
Awesome! That makes me feel so much better! Thanks TooLove!

Just received an email from Ms. King saying that my application is complete and that we'll start hearing about interview invites shortly after Dec 15th! Good luck, everyone!!! :D Whoo hoo!

Seems like they're making the whole process a bit earlier overall for international applicants. Good luck to you all on hearing back :)

Actually last year that email went out (at least for me) on November 8. I didn't get an interview invite until February so if you don't hear right away, don't stress! They send out additional invites as needed and when people decline interviews.

Good luck everyone!!! :)

HollyLollipop, did everything work out ok?

Yes! Thanks for asking. I got everything e-mailed to them and got conformation that I "meet the minimum requirements" which is good. Now to just anxiously await December 15th!

Members don't see this ad :)
Received an email for an interview offer! YAY! only problem... it's the day before another interview of mine. So I'm going to have to pick and choose between AVC and a school in the US... Bleugh. This is going to be difficult since I do love Canada but I also love the US... Augh. buttmunkies.... My parents want me to pick the other school over AVC but I don't want to give up the only Canada school I applied to.... :bang: If only I knew Kage Bunshin no Jutsu and could make a shadow clone of myself. ((Naruto reference)).

Reactions: 2 users
Received an email for an interview offer! YAY! only problem... it's the day before another interview of mine. So I'm going to have to pick and choose between AVC and a school in the US... Bleugh. This is going to be difficult since I do love Canada but I also love the US... Augh. buttmunkies.... My parents want me to pick the other school over AVC but I don't want to give up the only Canada school I applied to.... :bang: If only I knew Kage Bunshin no Jutsu and could make a shadow clone of myself. ((Naruto reference)).

Congrats!!!

You may be able to change your interview date since it's early enough...it's worth a shot to ask! The worst that can happen is that you have to choose between them anyways. I was actually the very last international interview, only got 2 weeks notice, and Sharon King still said she could accommodate some changes if needed.

On a similar note, I will probably be giving some tours to the interview groups, so I may get to meet some of you SDNers! :)

Whoo hoo! Congrats! I really hope I get one too :)

I got an invite!!!

Reactions: 2 users
Congrats!!!

You may be able to change your interview date since it's early enough...it's worth a shot to ask! The worst that can happen is that you have to choose between them anyways. I was actually the very last international interview, only got 2 weeks notice, and Sharon King still said she could accommodate some changes if needed.

On a similar note, I will probably be giving some tours to the interview groups, so I may get to meet some of you SDNers! :)

h I didn't even think about asking to change. Thanks!

Last edited:
I got an invite! Really excited to visit this school, and I think it's my top choice ;) can't wait!

Does anyone have the link to the thread with the interview questions?? I tried searching for it but the SDN app is a little crazy!

Does anyone have the link to the thread with the interview questions?? I tried searching for it but the SDN app is a little crazy!
I have the Android app and they're not available on it. I have to go to the actual SDN website to access them.

You won't find it on the app because it's not part of the forums.

http://schools.studentdoctor.net

Just an aside, every question I was asked during my interview last year I had seen on SDN already so for AVC at least, this is a good prep resource!

You won't find it on the app because it's not part of the forums.

http://schools.studentdoctor.net

Just an aside, every question I was asked during my interview last year I had seen on SDN already so for AVC at least, this is a good prep resource!

There were one or two not on SDN, but by and large it was immensely helpful.

Hey everyone! I've been lurking for a bit but finally decided to post :) I have my AVC interview coming up in a couple of weeks! I'm very excited, I'd love to go to AVC. I'm trying to temper that excitement a bit in case I don't get in, but hoping I do!

All the info on here has been a great help, especially all the interview questions, I'm glad I know what to expect. I'm a bit nervous about getting there, I'm flying via Montreal the day before. Mostly I'm worried about there being another snowstorm or something and being unable to get there. I'd think they'd be understanding if I was forced to reschedule due to inclement weather?

I had a couple of random questions if upper years don't mind ^_^ Assuming travel goes well, I'll be up there the night before, then have the night of my interview and the following morning to wander about. Any suggestions of things to do/see? Can we wander around campus? Anything we can sit in on? I might wander around downtown the morning before I leave too, it sounds like everything closes down in the evening in winter.

Also a random question just about general life as a student. Are there any informal clubs/groups of students who have their own dogs and go on outings, such as hikes together, or any agility or similar things around? I know school is going to be insanely busy between class, studying, trying to get to good club events and things. I'd love to find some things I could do socially to get to know classmates also involving my dog. I don't want him to feel neglected while I'm at school (even if he is also my study buddy!). Also any doggy daycare places around school during the school week?

Thanks!

Hey everyone! I've been lurking for a bit but finally decided to post :) I have my AVC interview coming up in a couple of weeks! I'm very excited, I'd love to go to AVC. I'm trying to temper that excitement a bit in case I don't get in, but hoping I do!

All the info on here has been a great help, especially all the interview questions, I'm glad I know what to expect. I'm a bit nervous about getting there, I'm flying via Montreal the day before. Mostly I'm worried about there being another snowstorm or something and being unable to get there. I'd think they'd be understanding if I was forced to reschedule due to inclement weather?

I had a couple of random questions if upper years don't mind ^_^ Assuming travel goes well, I'll be up there the night before, then have the night of my interview and the following morning to wander about. Any suggestions of things to do/see? Can we wander around campus? Anything we can sit in on? I might wander around downtown the morning before I leave too, it sounds like everything closes down in the evening in winter.

Also a random question just about general life as a student. Are there any informal clubs/groups of students who have their own dogs and go on outings, such as hikes together, or any agility or similar things around? I know school is going to be insanely busy between class, studying, trying to get to good club events and things. I'd love to find some things I could do socially to get to know classmates also involving my dog. I don't want him to feel neglected while I'm at school (even if he is also my study buddy!). Also any doggy daycare places around school during the school week?

Thanks!

Hi! Welcome to SDN :)

I wouldn't worry about the weather - if you can't get there they will definitely understand!

You'll get a tour of AVC, and I suppose you can wander around campus if you'd like. For the most part I think the majority of us tend to stay in our little section of campus, but it might be a good idea to check out the athletic complex if you're into that, the bookstore, etc.

I would check out downtown if you can, lots of little shops and restaurants. Some places are only open seasonally during the warm months though. The beach and trail might be best to wait until summer for ;)

I'm not aware of any organized things that involve dogs, but I'm sure there are plenty of people who would be up for it. There are some doggy boarding places and such around - not sure specifically about agility or daycare but if you do a little googling you may get some better answers. Others on here may know more than I do too.

Good luck on your interview!

One of my classmates and her wife are very involved with dog obedience - possibly agility too, I'm not 100% sure. For general socializing, my classmates pretty regularly meet up to take their dogs to the dog park.

If you have some ideas of what you'd like to do while you're here, I can offer suggestions. There's a number of pubs that often have live music in the evenings. Most shops downtown will close early-ish, though it depends what you're lookig for. If all else fails, send me a PM and I can take you somewhere; I'm usually looking for an excuse not to study haha. There's not much of the athletic complex you can see, most is key-card access only, but you can certainly look around the rest of the campus as TooLove said. Keep in mind that weather and/or temperature may make you want to be outside as little as possible.

Thanks for the replies!

I'll try to check out downtown the morning before I leave. I'm not too sure how I'll feel the evening after the interview - I imagine I might crash after the excitement of the morning or have the complete opposite and be completely wound up. Are most of the pubs and things downtown or are there some nearer campus? I may take you up on your offer Coquette, I'd likely end up battering you with questions the whole time though so I hope that'd be alright :D

That's cool your classmate is involved with obedience. You'll both be fourth years next year? I'm really interested in behaviour and training. I'm hoping a move out of the city (whether to AVC or elsewhere) will give my dog and I some more space to do some agility. Is there an active AVSAB chapter on campus? It didn't look like it from the list of organizations I found online, but I'm not sure if that's up to date.
Btw Blackdog, love your blog!

Ask away! I certainly won't hold back, good or bad. I will indeed be a fourth year next year (yikes how did that happen?) So I've been exposed to most aspects of AVC, UPEI and Charlottetown.

There's a sports bar near campus but most pubs are downtown. I don't know a ton about agility so I'm not much help there.

I think I slept two hours the night before my interview. I didn't have a car, so I didn't get to see much but getting out of my hotel probably would have helped my nerves a bit. I'm a first year so I only have one semester down but I would also be happy to have you pick my brain if you'd like!

I live about 15 minutes outside of downtown and I love all the open space. I would feel too cooped up closer to the city. Lots of people who rent to tourists in the summer will rent to students for the off season and it's pretty easy to find a place with access to a lot of land. You definitely want to start early with pets though.

@derwent2052, a friend of mine (currently a fourth year) does agility with her Border Collie, just not sure if she does it on-island or back home. Pretty sure there isn't an agility chapter on campus (it's such a small group of people), but I can give you her name and you could send her a message :)

I think I slept two hours the night before my interview. I didn't have a car, so I didn't get to see much but getting out of my hotel probably would have helped my nerves a bit. I'm a first year so I only have one semester down but I would also be happy to have you pick my brain if you'd like!

I live about 15 minutes outside of downtown and I love all the open space. I would feel too cooped up closer to the city. Lots of people who rent to tourists in the summer will rent to students for the off season and it's pretty easy to find a place with access to a lot of land. You definitely want to start early with pets though.

I don't imagine I'll be getting much sleep the night before either! How far do you live from the school? Is it fairly easy getting there from surrounding areas? I'm not sure where I might want to live; I live in a big city atm so wherever I end up I'm not sure whether I'd want to stay more central in a town or be far out. Close to the school would probably win out, though

@derwent2052, a friend of mine (currently a fourth year) does agility with her Border Collie, just not sure if she does it on-island or back home. Pretty sure there isn't an agility chapter on campus (it's such a small group of people), but I can give you her name and you could send her a message
clear.png

If she'd be interested in chatting I'd be happy to :) For chapters I actually meant for the Am.Vet. society of animal behaviour, I saw it listed on a list of clubs but I didn't see any students or faculty names associated with it. I'm assuming that means it's not currently active?

What is a general class schedule like, particularly for 1st and 2nd years? In class from 8-5 M-F with an hour for lunch sort of thing? Shorter day, longer day? I feel like I remember reading in one of the AVC hopeful threads that Friday was left as a half day, but I may have imagined that...

Thanks again ^_^ the friendliness of everyone here is definitely increasing my excitement for the school!

8:30-3:30 or 4:30, M-F. 9:30 starts on Wednesday though, and that's consistent all three years. Second year has more free time than first. An hour for lunch.

We don't have an AVSAB chapter. The animal welfare club does some behavior stuff.

Btw Blackdog, love your blog!

Aw, thanks!

If you're going to have a car (or are willing to pay for a taxi) campus isn't far from downtown and you'll have no problem popping back and forth. It's technically a (long) walkable distance, but it will probably be way too cold for that. There's a lot of great restaurants downtown that I can recommend, but I think most of the shops close around 5 or 6pm.

What day are you interviewing? I'd also be happy to show you around and let you pick my brain as well.

As for AVSAB, you could always start your own! One of our classmates just started a surgery club this semester because AVC didn't previously have one, so it's totally possible to create a club as long as there's enough interest.

I don't imagine I'll be getting much sleep the night before either! How far do you live from the school? Is it fairly easy getting there from surrounding areas? I'm not sure where I might want to live; I live in a big city atm so wherever I end up I'm not sure whether I'd want to stay more central in a town or be far out. Close to the school would probably win out, though

I'm about a 10-15 minute drive from school depending upon how the PEI drivers are (they're not so great usually). It definitely not walkable, but I do like being out in the country so I don't mind. It's also good in my case or I'd be going to the coffeehouses and buying $5 lattes to study all the time too :p A lot of my classmates live close to downtown/school so I will say I do feel like I miss out a bit there, but it's still easy to get anywhere you need to go. I brought my car with me though. There are people who don't have cars, and they live within walking distance of school and usually arrange rides for grocery runs, etc.

My interview's on the 15th - just two weeks away! It's going to be an awfully long wait to hear back after though hah. I'd be happy to meet up with you all if any of you are free that day! I imagine sometime in the afternoon after the interviews should be finished. I can send PMs closer to the day :)

Happy new year everyone! Good luck to everyone in their interviews :)

My interview's on the 15th - just two weeks away! It's going to be an awfully long wait to hear back after though hah. I'd be happy to meet up with you all if any of you are free that day! I imagine sometime in the afternoon after the interviews should be finished. I can send PMs closer to the day :)

Happy new year everyone! Good luck to everyone in their interviews :)

I heard back two weeks after my interview, so you never know ;)

I heard back two weeks after my interview, so you never know ;)

Yes last year there was a pretty big window in which acceptances went out. Some people had gotten theirs before I even interviewed.

Ok, please help a poor southern girl out. I have literally no idea what type of clothing I need to survive the day and a half I will be in PEI for my interview. Just so you have an idea, its 40 this morning here in Texas and I consider that too cold to go outside. Should I invest in one of those big fluffy jackets? I don't really want to spend the money on one when I don't know for sure if AVC is where I will end up. Any ideas?

Ok, please help a poor southern girl out. I have literally no idea what type of clothing I need to survive the day and a half I will be in PEI for my interview. Just so you have an idea, its 40 this morning here in Texas and I consider that too cold to go outside. Should I invest in one of those big fluffy jackets? I don't really want to spend the money on one when I don't know for sure if AVC is where I will end up. Any ideas?

We've had really cold temps the past few days, like wind chills in the -30's!

Honestly, you won't be outside that much. The tour is completely within the AVC so as long as you don't plan on walking the rest of campus you should be fine. I just brought a wool peacoat for my interview and it was fine for walking from the car to my hotel, AVC, the airport, etc.

Gloves and a hat and waterproof boots wouldn't be a bad idea and should be reasonably cheap to pick up. But yeah, you won't be outside for long if you don't want to be.

I didn't even wear a coat to my interview. I didn't have anything "dressy" to go with my interview suit, and I didn't want to wind up carrying it around with me all day anyway, so I just had my mom drop me off at the door. Like TL said, the tour is all indoors so you should be fine there.

You will need something of course, especially if you're planning on walking around town while you're here, but personally I wouldn't go spending a ton of money on a jacket that you may only use once. If you have warm clothing that you can just layer up, that would probably be a better choice for the time being.

I don't suppose any of you current students would be interested in having a couch surfer for the couple days that I'm up there to interview? Prices to get up there are pretty outrageous… haha… I am super excited to be interviewing though! Not looking forward to being turned into a frostbitten popsicle though…
:-/

I don't suppose any of you current students would be interested in having a couch surfer for the couple days that I'm up there to interview? Prices to get up there are pretty outrageous… haha… I am super excited to be interviewing though! Not looking forward to being turned into a frostbitten popsicle though…
:-/

When is your interview and where are you coming from?

It is expensive to get here no matter what unfortunately...I spent about 800 when all was said and done :( I do remember there was a list of hotels that give discounts for interviewing students - I stayed at the Rodd Royalty and I think it was only $85 for the night including a decent breakfast...

I might be up for having couch surfers. I am kind of far from town though, and I also have a parrot!

When is your interview and where are you coming from?

It is expensive to get here no matter what unfortunately...I spent about 800 when all was said and done :( I do remember there was a list of hotels that give discounts for interviewing students - I stayed at the Rodd Royalty and I think it was only $85 for the night including a decent breakfast...

I might be up for having couch surfers. I am kind of far from town though, and I also have a parrot!

I'm coming from Pennsylvania. Flights are looking like they're gonna be around 650-750… My interview is Feb 11… Because of the cost of everything I'm thinking I'll prob fly in on the 10th and then just fly out on the 12th. I don't really have enough money to stay at a hotel for much longer than that and since I'm originally from FL I don't really see myself wanting to stick around in freezing weather to explore… haha… Plus the more time I take off from work, the less money I'm making. Is that your parrot in the pic? I have two conures back in Florida. I miss them bunches but they have a lot more space down south and didn't think it'd be fair to bring them with me to PA.

I'm coming from Pennsylvania. Flights are looking like they're gonna be around 650-750… My interview is Feb 11… Because of the cost of everything I'm thinking I'll prob fly in on the 10th and then just fly out on the 12th. I don't really have enough money to stay at a hotel for much longer than that and since I'm originally from FL I don't really see myself wanting to stick around in freezing weather to explore… haha… Plus the more time I take off from work, the less money I'm making. Is that your parrot in the pic? I have two conures back in Florida. I miss them bunches but they have a lot more space down south and didn't think it'd be fair to bring them with me to PA.

That's him. :)

I flew in the night before my interview and walked out of the school afterwards and headed straight to the airport (I didn't want to miss more work either). You'll be done early enough that you could catch a flight that evening if you're trying to save money. Unless you want to stick around to explore of course.

Also I'm from WNY, and depending upon where in PA you are it might be worthwhile to look at driving across the border and flying the rest of the way. I've flown twice, once for my interview and then just recently over the holidays. Both times, I flew from Toronto to Charlottetown and it's been $300-400 less than flying from just over the border.

Sorry you couldn't bring your birdies with you. I have dragged my guy all over the place (including to Canada)! Luckily he's a really good sport. :)