AVC C/O 2018 Hopefuls!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Haha you guys are too much. You should've said something! But who knows, we may be future classmates someday so hopefully I'll have the chance to meet all of you eventually :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Haha you guys are too much. You should've said something! But who knows, we may be future classmates someday so hopefully I'll have the chance to meet all of you eventually :)

In order for you to be our class mates, one of us would have to fail and we don't want that! :p instead maybe one of us will be your orientation leaders :) :fingers crossed:

Reactions: 1 user
Hey All,
I am an international applicant and I had my interview already... I just have a couple of questions:

A) how does early admission work and how soon would someone hear back for it?

B) Are the normal offers of admission sent out in March?

C) Is the academic portion of the ranking ready complete before interviews or is the GRE factored in later.... (The reason I'm asking is because a fellow interviewee mentioned they were shocked they got an invite because their GRE score was low.... Which made me question myself thinking maybe they didn't factor that in yet... Makes me worry )

As a side note I love the school, and I loved the people (both the interviewers, interviewees and especially my tour guide)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey All,
I am an international applicant and I had my interview already... I just have a couple of questions:

A) how does early admission work and how soon would someone hear back for it?

B) Are the normal offers of admission sent out in March?

C) Is the academic portion of the ranking ready complete before interviews or is the GRE factored in later.... (The reason I'm asking is because a fellow interviewee mentioned they were shocked they got an invite because their GRE score was low.... Which made me question myself thinking maybe they didn't factor that in yet... Makes me worry )

As a side note I love the school, and I loved the people (both the interviewers, interviewees and especially my tour guide)

Early admission just means you may find out before most people do. I got an "early admissions offer" but I think everyone else found out a day or two later. Some get them weeks before the rest of the decisions go out. It depends.

I believe last year admissions offers went out around a week into March.

If I remember correctly (someone else please chime in if I'm wrong) they leave the subjective parts of your app for review after the interview. That would be your experience and personal statement. The decisions for what applicants get interview invites are academically based.

Edit: the GRE only counts for 5% of the overall admissions score, so it's not weighted very much. When I was interviewing I was told they don't much care for it since it doesn't seem to be a good predictor of success as a vet student.

I was also offered early admission. My letter from them mentioned my academics being strong, which I assume is what got me an early offer. I received mine two weeks after interviewing and probably a week or so (maybe more?) before other applicants heard back. I think this is kind of a functional "first wave" of acceptances and if people reply back declining, they can adjust the "second wave" accordingly. Just my impression of how it's set up.

You can check previous "acceptances" threads on the forum to get an idea of when people starting hearing back. My interview was late (March 2) and I heard back quickly (March 16 or something like that) but I was also an early offer. I think early to mid-March is a good estimate of when you might expect to hear. But seriously, don't panic if you don't hear back right away. They often extend further invites as people decline.

Like Toolove said, GRE is a small portion; academics are factored in first to get an interviewee pool and further evalution focuses on experiences.

If I remember correctly (someone else please chime in if I'm wrong) they leave the subjective parts of your app for review after the interview. That would be your experience and personal statement. The decisions for what applicants get interview invites are academically based.

TooLove is right. Interviews are offered strictly on the basis of grades and GRE. Your extra-curriculars and animal/vet experiences aren't reviewed until after the interview. That's not to says that academics are totally ignored after the interview though; I think they still come into play for final ranking of applicants. I'm not sure if AVC considers personal statement at all.

Early admission just means you may find out before most people do. I got an "early admissions offer" but I think everyone else found out a day or two later. Some get them weeks before the rest of the decisions go out. It depends.

I believe last year admissions offers went out around a week into March.

Edit: the GRE only counts for 5% of the overall admissions score, so it's not weighted very much. When I was interviewing I was told they don't much care for it since it doesn't seem to be a good predictor of success as a vet student.

Wow, thanks TooLove, that was a fast response! Okay, cool, so early admission doesn't mean you have to agree to go there right away? I was worried because I am a slow decision maker and I need to mull things over... I'm not expecting an offer like that anyway, but should always be prepared!

I guess it's a waiting game from here on out!

Thanks!

Wow, thanks TooLove, that was a fast response! Okay, cool, so early admission doesn't mean you have to agree to go there right away? I was worried because I am a slow decision maker and I need to mull things over... I'm not expecting an offer like that anyway, but should always be prepared!
Thanks!

Nope, it doesn't mean you have to go there, it just means you got an offer before most of the other applicants :)

I guess it's a waiting game from here on out!

Thanks!

For U.S. applicants, decisions and deposits aren't due until mid-April. So even if you were to receive an acceptance today, you would have plenty of time to think about it. VMCAS actually sends out an email to all applicants every year asking you to notify them immediately if any school tries to pressure you into making a decision before the April deadline. They take it very seriously.

The only difference would be if you were waitlisted (which you likely won't hear about until March). I'm not sure what kind of timeline they give you to reply to an acceptance off the waitlist, but I would imagine it's not very much time since they will want to offer your seat to someone else if you decline.

Sitting in the Toronto airport waiting for my final flight for my interview tomorrow! I had no idea how much of a hassle it would be to get here from Texas (I've had to go through security 3 times today -.-) but I'm super excited! Or, at least, I am until I actually have to step outside. It's cold!!

Sitting in the Toronto airport waiting for my final flight for my interview tomorrow! I had no idea how much of a hassle it would be to get here from Texas (I've had to go through security 3 times today -.-) but I'm super excited! Or, at least, I am until I actually have to step outside. It's cold!!

How did the interview go?

How did the interview go?
Really well! Im so glad I took the time to go over the questions before going in to it. Some if those would have been super hard to think of on the spot. Everyone is so nice here, too. My tour guide (a third year name Emily) is supposed to meet up with me and the guy who interviewed today for dinner tonight, but I'm not sure where. I don't really have any other details than that yet but you SDN-ers should come!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Guys! Just arrived in Charlottetown for my interview tomorrow. Took quite a long time to get here from California:eek:. I have been following this thread but this is my first time posting anything. It's been nice to see that everyone has enjoyed it here so far!

Good luck on your interview! We have two Californians in our class!

Thank you! I think it went well. I really love the school and everyone was so friendly and seemed happy to be there. Hopefully I get to return in August as a student :)

And Dr. M, also! They were all very nice :)

Seeing some interviewees taking pictures in front of the AVC sign today reminded me to check this thread out! Just wanted to wish everyone good luck. Any Canadian applicants on here waiting to get their interview invites? :)

So, I got a call from Ross today. They had originally offered me a spot in their fall vet prep program but now they want me to come to their regular program but only if I start in May instead of August. Which gives me like no time to decide. Plus, AVC is my number one choice and who knows how long it will be until we hear our final decisions from them. I don't want to turn down this offer and then not get in anywhere else but I also don't want to miss a chance to go to a school I would like better. Ugh.
(And thanks for listening to my non-AVC specific rant)

So, I got a call from Ross today. They had originally offered me a spot in their fall vet prep program but now they want me to come to their regular program but only if I start in May instead of August. Which gives me like no time to decide. Plus, AVC is my number one choice and who knows how long it will be until we hear our final decisions from them. I don't want to turn down this offer and then not get in anywhere else but I also don't want to miss a chance to go to a school I would like better. Ugh.

When do you have to notify Ross of your decision? AVC should be sending out offers by mid-March I'd expect. Is it feasible for you to make the deposit at Ross and then back out and attend AVC if accepted?

I am feeling pretty nervous! My second year applying to AVC. I am an islander and so hoping i get in ! I have some friends on here (Lab Rat83 I'm looking at you!) I have been creeping for a WHILE now... and finally decided I needed to share my feelings with others who feel the same way !!!

When do you have to notify Ross of your decision? AVC should be sending out offers by mid-March I'd expect. Is it feasible for you to make the deposit at Ross and then back out and attend AVC if accepted?
I think so. But I would have to pay a deposit of $1000 which is a lot to give up.

I think so. But I would have to pay a deposit of $1000 which is a lot to give up.

I think you'll just have to weigh the factors and decide how much risk you're willing to take. Are you sure you'll be happy/comfortable at Ross, would it be the end of the world if you had to apply again next year, are your stats good enough that you can reasonably expect to be accepted at AVC, is it worth it to sacrifice the $1000 deposit, do you like AVC enough to risk it, etc. It's a very personal decision.

I don't have any personal experience with this but I have several friends who found themselves in this situation. They told Ross there was no way they would be ready to start that early and started in August. Have you asked if that would be feasible?

Some people were accepted in February last year so maybe we'll hear soon :luck:

Welcome Palomino! Fingers crossed for you! Did you interview last year?
No interview last year unfortunately, but I have upped my GRE mark and my overall marks this year. I really did not appreciate the record number of applicants last year lol. I would have been happy with the same number of applicants in previous years :p

I am feeling pretty nervous! My second year applying to AVC. I am an islander and so hoping i get in ! I have some friends on here (Lab Rat83 I'm looking at you!) I have been creeping for a WHILE now... and finally decided I needed to share my feelings with others who feel the same way !!!

Welcome to the dark side. My fingers are crossed as tight as they can be for you.

Last edited:
What time of day did acceptance emails/calls tend to go out last year? And no, I'm not freaking out at all. Nope. Not me. Perfectly calm here. :eek:

What time of day did acceptance emails/calls tend to go out last year? And no, I'm not freaking out at all. Nope. Not me. Perfectly calm here. :eek:
I know!! All I can think is they said two weeks at my interview and today is exactly two weeks! Let's just say my phone will not be leaving my side for a while haha

You guys can put your phones down because I don't think they've ever made calls. I got my early acceptance email March 6th last year, some people had gotten theirs earlier. All the offers should go out by mid-March. I gave the tour today and Dr. Singh just said today maybe as early as late February though.

I got an email early afternoon, right as I was walking into my class from lunch. Suffice to say I was not paying attention at all haha :)

I got an email early afternoon, right as I was walking into my class from lunch. Suffice to say I was not paying attention at all haha :)

Haha! I saw mine while I was (obsessively) checking my email at work around 10 am. Cue me running around the entire hospital yelling at the top of my lungs and also announcing it via the phone page. I still had the rest of that shift to get through and the closing shift at my other clinic as well...I'm pretty sure I managed to work it into conversation during every single appointment I saw. :p

You guys can put your phones down because I don't think they've ever made calls. I got my early acceptance email March 6th last year, some people had gotten theirs earlier. All the offers should go out by mid-March. I gave the tour today and Dr. Singh just said today maybe as early as late February though.

One person in our class got an email last year, but otherwise I think they almost never call. I think my email came around lunch time, because I distinctly remember that I was laying in bed eating macaroni and cheese when I got it. :p

Just got my early acceptance letter this morning :) good luck to everyone!!!!!!

Reactions: 4 users
Congrats!!!! Snail mail or email? I've been going crazy checking both!

Mail from PEI is insanely slow. I think my official letter came almost a month after my email.

I totally posted in the wrong thread hahahah I was so excited I didn't notice !! Anyywayyy. Where does one start to look for housing around the school? Is there a good site?

I totally posted in the wrong thread hahahah I was so excited I didn't notice !! Anyywayyy. Where does one start to look for housing around the school? Is there a good site?

Try kijiji. It's pretty much like Craigslist and myself and a lot of others have found housing that way. The school does have a list as well. It's a bit early now, there should be more listings come early summer.

Looked at the AVC website this morning. Saw it was closed and thought "Huh, a snow day. Its 80 degrees here!" Continued checking my e-mail compulsively every 5 minutes for the next 6 hours. Got home and realized...AVC was closed. They can't e-mail me if no one is there...

I think the stress is getting to my head, haha.

Reactions: 1 users
I woke up this morning and my first thought was, "maybe I'll hear back from AVC today". Well, maybe tomorrow... lol