Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine (BCOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Interviewed 11/9 got wait listed today . :-(. Such a bummer. I wonder if anyone on the Waitlist has gotten accepted or rejected or deferred n how soon did it happen?

I was initially waitlisted. I emailed the dean and he ended up reversing the decision and offering me an acceptance.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
has anyone interviewed and was rejected? it seems like almost all individuals who went to the interview were placed on the wait list

Members don't see this ad :)
has anyone interviewed and was rejected? it seems like almost all individuals who went to the interview were placed on the wait list
People have been rejected. They received ~3000'applicants and interview ~300 people. I know a few have been rejected from the wait list so it would seem to me that they are keeping the list to a certain size, but that is just speculation.

People have been rejected. They received ~3000'applicants and interview ~300 people. I know a few have been rejected from the wait list so it would seem to me that they are keeping the list to a certain size, but that is just speculation.

that's good to hear, even if it's just a guess. all the updates about moving from wait list to deferred acceptance increased my anxiety levels and here i am with no updates in sight :(

i got put on the waitlist. who should i talk to about this? Should i contact the dean directly or just call the admissions office?

that's good to hear, even if it's just a guess. all the updates about moving from wait list to deferred acceptance increased my anxiety levels and here i am with no updates in sight :(
I wouldn't worry about it, try to focus on other schools and getting stuff done. BCOM isn't going anywhere, they just need more time.

i got put on the waitlist. who should i talk to about this? Should i contact the dean directly or just call the admissions office?

There have been people in the past contact the dean, but honestly I am not sure if there is anything you can do at this point excepts it back and wait for movement.

There have been people in the past contact the dean, but honestly I am not sure if there is anything you can do at this point excepts it back and wait for movement.

ya I don't think contacting them will make much of a difference...but I would like to learn more about my decision. Do you think the Dean would be annoyed if I called him regarding this? I don't want to annoy him...especially since many students might be contacting him :/

ya I don't think contacting them will make much of a difference...but I would like to learn more about my decision. Do you think the Dean would be annoyed if I called him regarding this? I don't want to annoy him...especially since many students might be contacting him :/
Honestly I would be doing you neither good nor harm in answering this question. He offered up his number just in case we needEd to talk to about something. I would follow your gut feeling.mhow long ago were you wait listed?

Interviewed today and was also waitlisted. Really hoping for some movement later on in the cycle!

Honestly I would be doing you neither good nor harm in answering this question. He offered up his number just in case we needEd to talk to about something. I would follow your gut feeling.mhow long ago were you wait listed?

it's been less than a week since I got my decision. I'll probably contact him....or I might just contact my interviewers directly? I feel like they might have more to say than the dean himself.

Also, not to sound stupid...but if I were to contact admissions should I wait til Monday...or can I try to call the dean over the weekend? :/

Last edited:
it's been less than a week since I got my decision. I'll probably contact him....or I might just contact my interviewers directly? I feel like they might have more to say than the dean himself.

Also, not to sound stupid...but if I were to contact admissions should I wait til Monday...or can I try to call the dean over the weekend? :/
I honestly cannot answer this for you. If it were me I wouldn't contact anyone since I feel like they have enough on their plate

Oh wow. WHAT DID you say in your email to him ? That's wonderful!

I basically sent an email to the dean asking for feedback on why I was waitlisted, briefly outlined why BCOM was my first choice and why I thought I was a good fit, then asked if he might have any time to talk with me regarding what I could improve on my application. Twenty minutes later I got a reply saying he had looked over my file again, thought I was good fit, and that he wanted to offer me a spot in the class. Needless to say, I spent the rest of the night alternating between euphoria and shock.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Dr. Mychaskiw has been very receptive to emails from applicants. I don't think it would hurt to send him an email. Just keep it short, and keep the focus on requesting feedback.

Dr. Mychaskiw has been very receptive to emails from applicants. I don't think it would hurt to send him an email. Just keep it short, and keep the focus on requesting feedback.
This is 100% true, he is a man open to helping.

II on Nov 10th, no response as of yet. Called and was told they where having a slight delay. I'm fine I promise. Just checking my email every 2 minutes that's all.

I was rejected, emailed the dean, had a personal interview with him, and accepted.

My interview day had 10 people and only 3 were accepted. My guess is it fluctuates depending on the day, interview performance, etc

Oh wow. WHAT DID you say in your email to him ? That's wonderful!

I basically sent an email to the dean asking for feedback on why I was waitlisted, briefly outlined why BCOM was my first choice and why I thought I was a good fit, then asked if he might have any time to talk with me regarding what I could improve on my application. Twenty minutes later I got a reply saying he had looked over my file again, thought I was good fit, and that he wanted to offer me a spot in the class. Needless to say, I spent the rest of the night alternating between euphoria and shock.
That's awesome. I think I may have been the first person to have interviewed in the 1st group in August who was initially waitlisted and emailed thanking the dean and staff and asking if he could shed some light on my weaknesses at some point in time whether that be within the week or later on in the interview cycle - whatever was best for him. He email back 3 days later with some additional questions about my app and on the 4th day again saying they had re-opened and reviewed my file again and that I was accepted. So I have been advocating communicating with adcoms regularly and in a professional manner as you are showing interest unless they specifically request you not to do that but I still believe a short thank you for your time and stating you would like to find out more about how to improve your app in the future is important - let them get back to you on when is a good time for them to talk to you about improving your chances for acceptance

In case anyone's wondering about the building progress, I interviewed mid sept and so I went with Mid Aug, Mid Sept, Mid Oct and today to show everyone the progress. I'm pretty excited to see what they have done by Jan-Feb

In case anyone wants the site again its

http://bcomnm.org/building-bcom/

Attachments

• Aug.png
    Aug.png
    616.9 KB · Views: 59
  • Sept.png
    Sept.png
    575.1 KB · Views: 57
  • Oct.png
    Oct.png
    586.7 KB · Views: 54
  • Nov.png
    Nov.png
    565.3 KB · Views: 63
  • Screen Shot 2015-11-16 at 10.38.43 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-11-16 at 10.38.43 AM.png
    557.8 KB · Views: 64
In case anyone's wondering about the building progress, I interviewed mid sept and so I went with Mid Aug, Mid Sept, Mid Oct and today to show everyone the progress. I'm pretty excited to see what they have done by Jan-Feb

In case anyone wants the site again its

http://bcomnm.org/building-bcom/

Yes, it is coming along nicely! I grew up traveling the U.S. while my father worked on massive buildings, mainly setting the steel and framework for million+ square ft. buildings, but I can honestly say that this building will really explode and take off here soon. There are some slow points and safety evaluations they have to go over before moving on past a certain point, but then it should pick up and be done before we know it. I am very excited to be one of the lucky few inaugural class members.

Yes, it is coming along nicely! I grew up traveling the U.S. while my father worked on massive buildings, mainly setting the steel and framework for million+ square ft. buildings, but I can honestly say that this building will really explode and take off here soon. There are some slow points and safety evaluations they have to go over before moving on past a certain point, but then it should pick up and be done before we know it. I am very excited to be one of the lucky few inaugural class members.
but the grass...:(

but the grass...:(
Yeah, some sod and lots of care I'm sure is in the future. When I was on the NMSU tour I was like "the grass is so green! Aren't we in the desert?" It'll be green eventually! I'd rather have the building ready first haha!

Hi guys, I have a question for those who received the fee waiver. How did you pay for the secondary application? Did you pay $75 first and then they refunded your money? Thanks!

That's awesome. I think I may have been the first person to have interviewed in the 1st group in August who was initially waitlisted and emailed thanking the dean and staff and asking if he could shed some light on my weaknesses at some point in time whether that be within the week or later on in the interview cycle - whatever was best for him. He email back 3 days later with some additional questions about my app and on the 4th day again saying they had re-opened and reviewed my file again and that I was accepted. So I have been advocating communicating with adcoms regularly and in a professional manner as you are showing interest unless they specifically request you not to do that but I still believe a short thank you for your time and stating you would like to find out more about how to improve your app in the future is important - let them get back to you on when is a good time for them to talk to you about improving your chances for acceptance

After hearing from you and other people who were accepted after emailing the dean, I'm seeing a pattern. We didn't try to badger the dean or make a grand argument for why we should have been accepted, we just requested feedback and after a second look our files made our case for us. If you really love a school, keep the lines of communication open. It can only help. Especially when the school has a dean who seems committed to giving everyone due consideration and revisiting applications to ensure that the right decision had been made.

Interviewed today and received deferred acceptance. Extremely impressed with the faculty and their vision. This is going to be a very strong school in the future. If you get invited for an interview, I suggest that you certainly go and check the school out. These people know what they're doing.

Do they email rejections or do they send them snail mail?

Is it a bad idea to take a flight the departs out of El Paso at 320pm? I would probably need to check out of my hotel room by 130PM.

Is it a bad idea to take a flight the departs out of El Paso at 320pm? I would probably need to check out of my hotel room by 130PM.
Not at all. The interview session was over near 1 pm and I ended up paying $75 to move my flight up to 3:30 so I could leave earlier.

Not at all. The interview session was over near 1 pm and I ended up paying $75 to move my flight up to 3:30 so I could leave earlier.

Thanks man. How's the traffic back to El Paso from BCOM around that time of the day? Trip estimator says 45 minutes, but I assume over an hour with traffic?

Thanks man. How's the traffic back to El Paso from BCOM around that time of the day? Trip estimator says 45 minutes, but I assume over an hour with traffic?

I made the trip yesterday at that time and it was about 1 hour.

Hi guys, I have a question for those who received the fee waiver. How did you pay for the secondary application? Did you pay $75 first and then they refunded your money? Thanks!
Hi, if you received the aacomas fee waiver you will automatically be eligible for the secondary fee waivers. Avoid making any payment because the refund part is very tricky and you may actually not get a refund. First send the school a detailed email with details about your aacomas fee waiver and they should respond quickly automatically waiving your secondary fees.
Good luck

Hi, if you received the aacomas fee waiver you will automatically be eligible for the secondary fee waivers. Avoid making any payment because the refund part is very tricky and you may actually not get a refund. First send the school a detailed email with details about your aacomas fee waiver and they should respond quickly automatically waiving your secondary fees.
Good luck
+1
Schools usually want you to forward them the email from AACOMAS saying your fee waiver was approved. I really wish they would make it automated like AMCAS schools.

Got an interview here! It's my first. I'm so excited, and this school genuinely appears very interesting to me.

However, is it true that an ii at this time doesn't mean much? I read how the class is pretty much full and that there are less than 10 spots left.
I'm a beggar, so I can't be picky. But what are the chances for an acceptance now? Or even a d.a.?

And about selecting an ii date ... would it be very bad if I choose a date in early Dec. rather than late Nov.?

Got an interview here! It's my first. I'm so excited, and this school genuinely appears very interesting to me.

However, is it true that an ii at this time doesn't mean much? I read how the class is pretty much full and that there are less than 10 spots left.
I'm a beggar, so I can't be picky. But what are the chances for an acceptance now? Or even a d.a.?

And about selecting an ii date ... would it be very bad if I choose a date in early Dec. rather than late Nov.?
I would say that the chances of getting a d.a are still fair since it seems that people here are still getting them. Regardless, I would still try to interview as early as possible.

I would say that the chances of getting a d.a are still fair since it seems that people here are still getting them. Regardless, I would still try to interview as early as possible.
Ok. Cool. Thanks!

Oh, and are there any folks here who came (or will be coming) from the (north) east coast to interview at BCOM?
Any tips? I'm must admit this all is a bit unnerving. I barely have flown around (in the US) or stayed in hotels.

Ok. Cool. Thanks!

Oh, and are there any folks here who came (or will be coming) from the (north) east coast to interview at BCOM?
Any tips? I'm must admit this all is a bit unnerving. I barely have flown around (in the US) or stayed in hotels.
When is your interview date?

I just reserved mine for Dec 8th and not sure how I should plan my travel yet, I am close to the east coast from the North!

Ok. Cool. Thanks!

I'm coming from the east coast on Nov 28 for my Nov 30 interview. Plane to El Paso, Hertz rental car to Las Cruces, staying at a hotel where I'm paying ~$50/night, and driving back to El Paso immediately after the interview

When is your interview date?

I just reserved mine for Dec 8th and not sure how I should plan my travel yet, I am close to the east coast from the North!
I haven't officially reserved one yet, but it's probably gonna be that (or around that) date, if not earlier.

I'm coming from the east coast on Nov 28 for my Nov 30 interview. Plane to El Paso, Hertz rental car to Las Cruces, staying at a hotel where I'm paying ~$50/night, and driving back to El Paso immediately after the interview
Sounds like a good plan.
If you don't mind me asking, how much is it costing you all ... like flight, rental car, etc?

And do you think it would be fine if I arrive the day before, but leave the day of (the ii)?

Any reason why you went with Hertz over one of the other companies like enterprise, etc

Any reason why you went with Hertz over one of the other companies like enterprise, etc
I signed up with USAA since they don't have the 'under 25' fee, and Hertz had the lowest rate per day.

I haven't officially reserved one yet, but it's probably gonna be that (or around that) date, if not earlier.

Sounds like a good plan.
If you don't mind me asking, how much is it costing you all ... like flight, rental car, etc?

And do you think it would be fine if I arrive the day before, but leave the day of (the ii)?

I'll message you

I'll be interviewing on the 30th too(first interview as well). Flying from the east coast so I totally get your concerns about being out of state! It will be okay though :)

Oh cool! I'm coming from CA on the 29th so not as far as you - which hotel are you staying at? I'm at Sleep Inn which is 1.2 miles away and the cheapest rate I managed to find at $62 including tax...

Also, anybody else interviewing on the 30th? It would be cool to meet up Sunday afternoon or something - who knows, we might be classmates at the end of all this!!

Last edited:
Just sent in my acceptance paperwork!

I had to make a really tough decision between BCOM and another school, but I'm feeling really great about BCOM and I can't wait to move to NM

Reactions: 2 users
Just sent in my acceptance paperwork!

I had to make a really tough decision between BCOM and another school, but I'm feeling really great about BCOM and I can't wait to move to NM

Oh wow! Congratulations. Would you like to share what the other school was, or the pros and cons that you factored in when choosing the right school? I'm sure this will help other applicants who still have multiple acceptances and need to make a decisions.