Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine (BCOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have been reading other school forums and it seems like clinical rotations are a hot topic in terms of choosing what school to attend.

I could be wrong so please correct me if I am but from what I have read about western (which is a great school) is that the clinical rotatio sites s are becoming saturated with UCR and the carrebian students at SGU and this is making western students travel great distances just to get a site.

I know at BCOM we don't have much competition for clinical sites because the MD school is 4 hrs away. Do you guys have thoughts on the ones that are in Arizona and El Paso? I know for El Paso we can most likely just commute. But for the ones in Mexico and Arizona I'm asunming we have to relocate in order to attend those rotations. Can someone elaborate on that? Not really sure how the clinical years work.

Members don't see this ad.

I have been reading other school forums and it seems like clinical rotations are a hot topic in terms of choosing what school to attend.

I could be wrong so please correct me if I am but from what I have read about western (which is a great school) is that the clinical rotatio sites s are becoming saturated with UCR and the carrebian students at SGU and this is making western students travel great distances just to get a site.

I know at BCOM we don't have much competition for clinical sites because the MD school is 4 hrs away. Do you guys have thoughts on the ones that are in Arizona and El Paso? I know for El Paso we can most likely just commute. But for the ones in Mexico and Arizona I'm asunming we have to relocate in order to attend those rotations. Can someone elaborate on that? Not really sure how the clinical years work.

I believe for the sites like Arizona, ABQ, Mexico, that are not within a commutable distance from Las Cruces you just move there for the duration of the rotation. I think at my interview day they said they help you find housing. I think you do all of your core rotations at one place so you won't be having to move too frequently, but I'm not certain.

Reactions: 1 user
Oh wow! Congratulations. Would you like to share what the other school was, or the pros and cons that you factored in when choosing the right school? I'm sure this will help other applicants who still have multiple acceptances and need to make a decisions.

Sure. May be sacrificing some anonymity, but I don't really care lol.
I chose between here and University of Iowa. It was a very personal choice that I'm not taking lightly, but it ultimately comes down to where I will be happy. I've been living in rural NH for the past 7 years and am ready to both get away from the cold and join a community that is a little more diverse and that I can really feel connected to, both in terms of students and the surrounding area that we'll be serving. I'm looking at what will fulfill me. We also can't deny that New Mexico is gorgeous, and I've been putting a lot of stock lately in the physical beauty of my surroundings and how energizing that can be. I need more sunshine in my life! As my PI advised, people discount how much your satisfaction with your surroundings and lifestyle can impact your academic performance.

I'm old enough to know what my priorities are and what is important to me. This process takes a lot of self reflection, and I have done that. It was not an easy choice, and I understand that it won't make sense to a lot of other people. I know that its not the best idea to limit your career prospects, but I'm very confident in what I want out of life (but aware that things can always change) and I think living and going to school in NM could give that to me. I love how mission-driven the faculty are, I very much view medicine as a social justice issue, and I look forward to early exposure to the populations I want to serve in my future career, with real opportunities to connect with the Native peoples of that area.

I love that they are requiring medical spanish. I used to be conversational in Spanish, but lost most of it after living in New England, so this is a bonus for me.

I have also spent 7 years (4 in undergrad, 3 as a researcher) dealing with pompous New England academia, and I am very ready for something completely different.

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I chose between here and University of Iowa. It was a very personal choice that I'm not taking lightly, but it ultimately comes down to where I will be happy. I've been living in rural NH for the past 7 years and am ready to both get away from the cold and join a community that is a little more diverse and that I can really feel connected to, both in terms of students and the surrounding area that we'll be serving. I'm looking at what will fulfill me. We also can't deny that New Mexico is gorgeous, and I've been putting a lot of stock lately in the physical beauty of my surroundings and how energizing that can be. I need more sunshine in my life! As my PI advised, people discount how much your satisfaction with your surroundings and lifestyle can impact your academic performance.

I'm old enough to know what my priorities are and what is important to me. This process takes a lot of self reflection, and I have done that. It was not an easy choice, and I understand that it won't make sense to a lot of other people. I know that its not the best idea to limit your career prospects, but I'm very confident in what I want out of life (but aware that things can always change) and I think living and going to school in NM could give that to me. I love how mission-driven the faculty are, I very much view medicine as a social justice issue, and I look forward to early exposure to the populations I want to serve in my future career, with real opportunities to connect with the Native peoples of that area.

I love that they are requiring medical spanish. I used to be conversational in Spanish, but lost most of it after living in New England, so this is a bonus for me.

I have also spent 7 years (4 in undergrad, 3 as a researcher) dealing with pompous New England academia, and I am very ready for something completely different.

This resonates so much with me, even the bit about losing Spanish skills after moving east. We're so happy to have you. This class is made up of so many wonderful people and I guarantee we're going to have such a great time together. I can't wait to meet everyone in person!

Reactions: 4 users

Very cool! Make sure to join the FB page so we can all get to know each other before we meet up in a few months

So I submitted my DO letter, but as a non-trad, it's been hard for me to get a committee letter/professor letter.. has anyone received an II while they were still working on their committee letter?

So I submitted my DO letter, but as a non-trad, it's been hard for me to get a committee letter/professor letter.. has anyone received an II while they were still working on their committee letter?
I didn't have a committee letter even though my university had a committee. I'm also non trad and I got 2 science and 1 non science letter and a DO letter. My committee was quite useless. They told me I didn't have a shot at med school. I got several IIs and an acceptance... Don't worry about a committee if you can hunt down some professors. Talk to them, even if it's not science related. I find being non trad helps you connect more since you're not the typical college kid begging for letters. I'm actually really good personal friends now with one of my letter writers. Best of luck!

For the vast majority of DO schools, having a committee letter is optional. They will just ask you to sub two science letters instead. For BCOM, you can sub two since letters so you should be fine.

I know the website says

"Note: Figures are subject to change without notice."

But does anyone know why they raised the tuition from 46k to 48k?

I just wish they would keep us updated since we have to look up private loans..which already dosent seem like an easy process.

Edit: 46k is the price I'm looking at in my interview packet.

I know the website says

"Note: Figures are subject to change without notice."

But does anyone know why they raised the tuition from 46k to 48k?

I just wish they would keep us updated since we have to look up private loans..which already dosent seem like an easy process.

Edit: 46k is the price I'm looking at in my interview packet.

Where did you read that? I just checked the website under "Tuition and Fees" and it's still listed as $46k.

Members don't see this ad :)
Something is not adding up. It looks like even though the tuition went up the overall cost went down from $65k to $61k

Maybe some one can re-do the math with me..having a hard time comparing on my cellphone.

Here is the link again: http://bcomnm.org/students/office-of-financial-aid/budgeting-your-education/

Here is the page from the interview packet: image.jpeg

Something is not adding up. It looks like even though the tuition went up the overall cost went down from $65k to $61k

Maybe some one can re-do the math with me..having a hard time comparing on my cellphone.

Here is the link again: http://bcomnm.org/students/office-of-financial-aid/budgeting-your-education/

Here is the page from the interview packet: View attachment 198091

Ok, here are the difference between the page from your packet and what's posted on the website.

Your packet separates tuition and fees into separate lines denoting $46,650 and $1,350 respectively. The website lists tuition and fees as a combined item totaling $48,000. So tuition didn't change, you're just seeing the numbers for tuition alone vs tuition + fees.

The other changes are that books and supplies is $6000 on the packet and the website shows 2 different lines for books and supplies which total $2,900.

The last change is that the website does not list the $1,650 included in the packet for transportation.

So, really the only differences are that the website budget doesn't include transportation and the budget for books and supplies has been cut in half.

Reactions: 3 users
Ok, here are the difference between the page from your packet and what's posted on the website.

Your packet separates tuition and fees into separate lines denoting $46,650 and $1,350 respectively. The website lists tuition and fees as a combined item totaling $48,000. So tuition didn't change, you're just seeing the numbers for tuition alone vs tuition + fees.

The other changes are that books and supplies is $6000 on the packet and the website shows 2 different lines for books and supplies which total $2,900.

The last change is that the website does not list the $1,650 included in the packet for transportation.

So, really the only differences are that the website budget doesn't include transportation and the budget for books and supplies has been cut in half.

Thank you! Sorry, I got a little worried :rolleyes:

Did anyone get a confirmation after they sent their acceptance agreement?

Did anyone get a confirmation after they sent their acceptance agreement?

yah, I got a confirmation email about two hours after I sent it to them. I did send it to them via e-mail, so maybe if you sent it snail mail the confirmation takes longer. Wouldn't hurt to give them a call just to make sure everything is squared away

Once you put down your deposit, then I'd contact Adrian Alba about all the other paperwork you've sent in. The paperwork is fluff till you put down your deposit.

I just called the admissions office today to make sure my deposit and paperwork made it in and they were able to confirm it had, but the person responsible for checking it into the system is out for the week so don't expect amy emails until next week!

This might have been stated before but it is a really big thread. Does anyone know if they have rotation/residency spots in AZ?

For those of you who mailed in the deferred acceptance paperwork, do they send a confirmation that they received it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmm...debating on emailing admissions to make sure they got it...

It doesn't hurt to ask, but I bet they got it. Did you not get a tracking number on your letter packet?

Yeah, I did. I'll check on it on Monday (working out of town at the moment). I just really love this school and don't want to mess anything up.

So I'm in a bit of a predicament. I LOVED this school and Las Cruces in general, and could 100% see myself living in New Mexico for the rest of my life (I've always loved the Southwest and have family in Tucson). I also really like the DO track and the idea that DOs actually have an additional skill that allopathic physicians do not. And a part of me really likes the idea of being in the inaugural class of an institution of higher learning, and I honestly believe they will do what it takes to make sure that we are successful, as we would be essentially determining the reputation of the school.

That being said, I was accepted at another school that I could also see myself going to, but also has its share of pros and cons. It's a smaller MD school that focuses on rural and Native healthcare providers, which is EXACTLY the kind of program I am looking for. They're fairly well ranked and I had a good interview, but I couldn't help but feel like the students I talked to weren't very happy there. On top of that, it's in a state that I don't see myself living in after medical school, though they actually said this was common for the Native applicants, who generally end up back in their home areas.

I've been a part of the BCOM facebook group for a few months now, and everyone is so fantastic that it makes me even more excited about Burrell. But I plan on moving my mother with me wherever I go, and a part of me knows she would prefer the other place over Las Cruces. The other school is also substantially cheaper, though I plan to work in a rural/Native community to pay off my debts anyways.

At this point, I guess it just feels like I'm choosing between a place that I know I would love, but has some uncertainties surrounding residencies etc., and a school that is established, but I didn't immediately love and got a mixed impression from the current students.

Any words of wisdom?

So I'm in a bit of a predicament. I LOVED this school and Las Cruces in general, and could 100% see myself living in New Mexico for the rest of my life (I've always loved the Southwest and have family in Tucson). I also really like the DO track and the idea that DOs actually have an additional skill that allopathic physicians do not. And a part of me really likes the idea of being in the inaugural class of an institution of higher learning, and I honestly believe they will do what it takes to make sure that we are successful, as we would be essentially determining the reputation of the school.

That being said, I was accepted at another school that I could also see myself going to, but also has its share of pros and cons. It's a smaller MD school that focuses on rural and Native healthcare providers, which is EXACTLY the kind of program I am looking for. They're fairly well ranked and I had a good interview, but I couldn't help but feel like the students I talked to weren't very happy there. On top of that, it's in a state that I don't see myself living in after medical school, though they actually said this was common for the Native applicants, who generally end up back in their home areas.

I've been a part of the BCOM facebook group for a few months now, and everyone is so fantastic that it makes me even more excited about Burrell. But I plan on moving my mother with me wherever I go, and a part of me knows she would prefer the other place over Las Cruces. The other school is also substantially cheaper, though I plan to work in a rural/Native community to pay off my debts anyways.

At this point, I guess it just feels like I'm choosing between a place that I know I would love, but has some uncertainties surrounding residencies etc., and a school that is established, but I didn't immediately love and got a mixed impression from the current students.

Any words of wisdom?

This is a decision that you could only make. I personally would attend the MD program 100%- to be entirely honest this should be a no brainier. It seems that both you are a great fit at both schools amd both programs are a great fit for you. So in this case you will need to choose the more established well ranked program- it is going to give you more opportunies. You can't let a couple current students negative experience at the MD school keep you from attending that program. You can be sure that there will be complaints from future BCOM students as well. Heck, any school for that matter.

Good luck with you decision making

Reactions: 1 users

Any words of wisdom?

I will agree and disagree with the poster above me. It really is a decision that only you can make. That said, I don't think that it's necessarily a no brainer decision. It's true that the MD school might be more established and that it'll be cheaper, but it all comes down to what you want in life. For me personally, quality of life is everything. I'm looking to go somewhere where I absolutely know I would love to be. I'd hate for my medical school experience to be with classmates that I don't get along with and teachers that I dislike.

A couple of things you should do that might help guide you towards making a decision:
1) Do more research on the MD school. There will be complaints about every school, like the poster above me stated. You can't let the words of a few people ruin the image of the school in your mind. You never know - what other students dislike might be an aspect of the school that you might come to personally enjoy.
2) Talk with your mother some more about the decision. Don't just assume things. It's good that you're looking out for her happiness too, really. But at the end of the day she'll want you to do what you think is best for you. Your entire future is ahead of you. If she's anything like most mothers that I know, she'll be happy to support any decision that you make! :)
3) Maybe take your mother down for a trip to Las Cruces and see what she thinks of it. If you love it, maybe she will as well. There are several other states nearby too so if y'all are ever looking for somewhere fun to go for the breaks there will be plenty of places nearby (Texas, Arizona, Colorado, Oklahoma, etc.)
4) If you are still really leaning towards BCOM, figure out how you're going to pay for school (private loans, etc.)

Hope this helps! Congrats on pocketing two acceptances! That's awesome!

Any words of wisdom?

This decision is ultimately up to you, but I can at least tell you some of the things that were personally important to me and swayed my decision between BCOM and a more established school in BCOM's favor.

1. I'm highly adventurous and I found the idea of being part of the inaugural class, helping to pioneer and shape a new school VERY appealing. I liked the idea of being able to work closely with the faculty to help the school grow and have actual input on what the school becomes in the future. An established school is already set in its ways. If you like surety and stability, and want to be able to pay your money and attend knowing exactly what you're getting and how it will work out, this is probably a good option, but I wanted the freedom and flexibility of a new program.

2. BCOM's mission and focus fit perfectly in line what what I want to do as a physician. Someone told me I should choose a more established program and try to do things like start new clubs or take an off campus medical Spanish class to make it fit more with my interests and career goals, but the idea of struggling to make another school sort of fit me, just for the sake of attending a more established institution, especially when BCOM would be a perfect fit without the extra hassle and finagling, was just not appealing.

3. BCOM just spoke to me. I don't really know how to explain it. Everything from the new anatomy curriculum, to the faculty, to Las Cruces itself just gave me a sense of excitement and inspiration at my core. Every time I think about BCOM and my fellow students I glow with happiness. Other schools may have stronger reputations, but I know without a doubt that BCOM is where I will be the happiest and shine the brightest, and that is worth a hell of a lot to me.

Any words of wisdom?

Go where your gut tells you. The attitude of current students is a large indicator of the schools culture. As a future BCOM student I see how enthusiastic and excited everyone is and can't wait to start class next year! It will be a hard decision for you, but New Mexico is great and needs good physicians and you sound like you've got a great head! Good luck!

A lot depends on the specific MD school. Some, like UNM, are pretty true to their mission and do a good job with Native and rural concerns. Others, like some in the far North Midwest, give it lip service and are actually hostile (? racist) toward Natives in practice.

MD, DO, Potato, Potatoe....go where your heart feels most comfortable. I will personally say that BCOM has shown me a curriculum that no other school has come close to as of yet. Their curriculum gets me very excited and giddy when I think about how we will be using real life pictures and case files to go long with out in class lectures for a better understanding of what we will truly see in the field as physicians. BCOM is in the process of building a BRAND NEW building that will be home to the nations largest simulation lab that will be kept all to ourselves since we will be the only students in the building for the first year. BCOM has more residency slots than they do seats in a class, so that shouldn't pose a problem for any student. Last, but not least, the people I have had the opportunity to speak with on here and on Facebook really hold a promising spot in my heart for the forming of true, lifelong friendships between all of us inaugural classmates. It is one thing to have an amazing school, it is a very humbling added bonus to have an amazing class.

Choose you or destiny :) we will be waiting.

MD, DO, Potato, Potatoe....go where your heart feels most comfortable. I will personally say that BCOM has shown me a curriculum that no other school has come close to as of yet. Their curriculum gets me very excited and giddy when I think about how we will be using real life pictures and case files to go long with out in class lectures for a better understanding of what we will truly see in the field as physicians. BCOM is in the process of building a BRAND NEW building that will be home to the nations largest simulation lab that will be kept all to ourselves since we will be the only students in the building for the first year. BCOM has more residency slots than they do seats in a class, so that shouldn't pose a problem for any student. Last, but not least, the people I have had the opportunity to speak with on here and on Facebook really hold a promising spot in my heart for the forming of true, lifelong friendships between all of us inaugural classmates. It is one thing to have an amazing school, it is a very humbling added bonus to have an amazing class.

Choose you or destiny :) we will be waiting.

You might think its potato potato now, but to be honest going to an established MD program puts one in far better position for the future. I'm sure the MD school the OP got accepted to has a simulation center and many many connections to solid residency programs. Also, many med schools have a similar curriculum to BCOM. To be frank, I don't get why people think only at BCOM you will be using "real life pictures and case files." Regarding residency, programs will look more in favor to a student graduating from a solid MD program than a student graduating from the newest DO program- it sounds harsh and frustrates me, but its the sad truth. Also, these residencies spots BCOM established aren't just for BCOM students. Sure BCOM students will rotate through these hospitals but whose to say that only BCOM students will end up getting these spots... its unsure because no one knows yet.

I just think its good to give the OP honest feedback. Don't get me wrong, BCOM seems to be an awesome school. I give so much credit to the BCOM team for all they have done up to this point, but I guess I am bias because for me I need to go somewhere where I know students have succeeded and have a track record.

To the OP... please take everything what you are reading with a grain of salt. You and your family need to make this decision, not random people on a forum. Think about whats important to you. Follow your heart. Go to Las Cruces again get a feel for the area. Go to the area the MD program is at and get a feel for that area. Talk to people from each school. Have you always wanted to go to this MD program? Do the advantages of BCOM outweigh the advantages of the MD school? YOU need to ask yourself these questions and YOU need to answer them, not us.

Congrats to those who have been accepted to BCOM and any other DO/MD programs!

You might think its potato potato now, but to be honest going to an established MD program puts one in far better position for the future. I'm sure the MD school the OP got accepted to has a simulation center and many many connections to solid residency programs. Also, many med schools have a similar curriculum to BCOM. To be frank, I don't get why people think only at BCOM you will be using "real life pictures and case files." Regarding residency, programs will look more in favor to a student graduating from a solid MD program than a student graduating from the newest DO program- it sounds harsh and frustrates me, but its the sad truth. Also, these residencies spots BCOM established aren't just for BCOM students. Sure BCOM students will rotate through these hospitals but whose to say that only BCOM students will end up getting these spots... its unsure because no one knows yet.

I just think its good to give the OP honest feedback. Don't get me wrong, BCOM seems to be an awesome school. I give so much credit to the BCOM team for all they have done up to this point, but I guess I am bias because for me I need to go somewhere where I know students have succeeded and have a track record.

To the OP... please take everything what you are reading with a grain of salt. You and your family need to make this decision, not random people on a forum. Think about whats important to you. Follow your heart. Go to Las Cruces again get a feel for the area. Go to the area the MD program is at and get a feel for that area. Talk to people from each school. Have you always wanted to go to this MD program? Do the advantages of BCOM outweigh the advantages of the MD school? YOU need to ask yourself these questions and YOU need to answer them, not us.

Congrats to those who have been accepted to BCOM and any other DO/MD programs!

Riiiiight..and my uncle is Bill Gates.

I want to say go to the MD school so I can have your spot lol

There are a lot of good points about the MD VS. DO, so let me ask you something: what specialty are you considering? Primary-care, surgery, w/e?

I do have to echo ****MCat's post about going with MD. In the long run, it would be easier to go with MD because it would make things a lot simpler. By "simpler", I mean that you have "more" options(not having to deal with DO bias) when it comes to residencies. Also, you only have to deal with the USMLE, which I think is convenient because these things are expensive and emotionally draining. In my case I plan on taking Step I on top of COMLEX in a few years so that I can be as competitive as possible for whenever the merger goes through.

Last edited:
congratulations to accepted users, will you please provide an overview of the interview -- format, questions types?

Any words of wisdom?

1. it's up to you
2. why are you bringing your mother with you?
3. After medical school you can live wherever you want (or find a job...)
4. You need to decide MD or DO resonates with you.

If it were me I'd take the MD school solely for the known reputation and you will have no "growing pains" with a new school.Also if you think you want any type of speciality, go to the MD school for a much better chance of matching in it.

This should pump some people up!

" Demand for admission to BCOM has exceeded expectations. To date, BCOM has been designated by nearly 3700 applicants for admission to the inaugural class entering in August, 2020. Admission to BCOM is highly selective. Of the 162 students currently offered admission for its 162 spaces, the average MCAT is approximately 25 (old scale) and the average GPA is 3.5. Accepted students’ MCAT and GPA have ranged as high as 36 and 3.97, respectively. Currently, BCOM has a waiting list of over 250 applicants, of whom 31 highly qualified individuals have been offered deferred acceptance to the class entering in 2017"

http://www.burrellgroupmtpfs.org/BCOMatNMSU.pdf

Reactions: 10 users
I will agree and disagree with the poster above me. It really is a decision that only you can make. That said, I don't think that it's necessarily a no brainer decision. It's true that the MD school might be more established and that it'll be cheaper, but it all comes down to what you want in life. For me personally, quality of life is everything. I'm looking to go somewhere where I absolutely know I would love to be. I'd hate for my medical school experience to be with classmates that I don't get along with and teachers that I dislike.

A couple of things you should do that might help guide you towards making a decision:
1) Do more research on the MD school. There will be complaints about every school, like the poster above me stated. You can't let the words of a few people ruin the image of the school in your mind. You never know - what other students dislike might be an aspect of the school that you might come to personally enjoy.
2) Talk with your mother some more about the decision. Don't just assume things. It's good that you're looking out for her happiness too, really. But at the end of the day she'll want you to do what you think is best for you. Your entire future is ahead of you. If she's anything like most mothers that I know, she'll be happy to support any decision that you make! :)
3) Maybe take your mother down for a trip to Las Cruces and see what she thinks of it. If you love it, maybe she will as well. There are several other states nearby too so if y'all are ever looking for somewhere fun to go for the breaks there will be plenty of places nearby (Texas, Arizona, Colorado, Oklahoma, etc.)
4) If you are still really leaning towards BCOM, figure out how you're going to pay for school (private loans, etc.)

Hope this helps! Congrats on pocketing two acceptances! That's awesome!

^ This. Exactly this.

I will definitely add that the interactions with your classmates is essential. It becomes a pseudo-family. I can say from the people that have been involved so far BCOM is going to wind up being a blast.

Reactions: 4 users
Are interviews at BCOM now for waitlist/deferred acceptances only?

qe'ci yew yew (thank you) all for the advice. I'm going to mull it over some more this winter break, but it's been helpful to get some feedback. Maybe I can even save up for another trip to each location for a final feeling of each, though it's a little more difficult since I help my mother with her bills (which is why I'll be moving her with me, it'll just be easier to help support her).

Ta'c lewei (good luck!) everyone who is still going through the application process!

Bummer, I was rejected post-secondary. But I received my secondary invite minutes after their primary confirmation, so I guess they didn't screen me out when they should have lol. My MCAT was only 25, and my GPA ~3.3 so I'm not surprised. Time to retake and reapply next year! Good luck to everyone else.