Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine (BCOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
And here I am without an acceptance and will most likely matriculate at my first "Yes."

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
oh.. and who are you exactly to say she can't say that..??? She knows both programs. you dont
I'm just Going off the facts... Is not tru that ATSU has a proven track record and BCOM doesn't ? Is it not true that one attending any new medical school will face challenges ? Also, does this "very high up" person sit on the board at BCOM? I'm very curious as to why she said BCOM >ATSU in a heart beat because it certainly is not a easy decision.

It's almost as if she left ATSU not happy so her suggestion might be a bit bias ..

Lol " In a heart beat" okay that's a bit exaggerated ! Everyone is making it seem like BCOM is the UCSF of DO schools.... Slightly entertaining; however, to each their own. And also That is not a heart beat decision as ATSU is a very strong program with a proven track record. BCOM has the potential to be the same but no one knows yet.

It depends on what CHC location you go to. Some are excellent like the one in Brooklyn. However, you could be in that CHC that doesn't have a strong foot hold in certain hospitals and be drop. The CHC where I live is now not there anymore due to my local MD school expanding out.

Members don't see this ad :)
And here I am without an acceptance and will most likely matriculate at my first "Yes."
I know it sucks, but this lady I speak of has been the head of admissions at some schools and other people I know on admissions say the same thing that it is a crapshoot! I was on the family and friends list with a 3.97 at several schools and got rejections pre-interview. It sucks so bad, but alot of qualified people never get their chance. keep going and apply every cycle. PM if you want to talk.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm just Going off the facts... Is not tru that ATSU has a proven track record and BCOM doesn't ? Is it not true that one attending any new medical school will face challenges ? Also, does this "very high up" person sit on the board at BCOM? I'm very curious as to why she said BCOM >ATSU in a heart beat because it certainly is not a easy decision.

It's almost as if she left ATSU not happy so her suggestion might be a bit bias ..
Did I ever blatantly say I disagree with anything you are saying? NO! You are the one that just brought in all that crap. I simply said what someone told me, and no she is not on any board with BCOM and yes, she left ATSU on her own. Look, I don't know any details, I just told you what someone who has been involved with the DO family said about two schools. Does she know people at BCOM, yes. Just like she knows hundreds of faculty at a lot of different schools in the DO community. You and several others on this page love fighting and a lot of responders are very professional in dealing with you, but I am not going to be. If you are not attending this school, why troll? Why be on here at all? Do us a favor and leave. It's exhausting trying to get on here for helpful information and having to filter out the crap you and others bring into this school's page.

It's almost as if you didn't get accepted at BCOM (or anywhere else for that matter) so your judgmental comments might be a bit bias.

so for anonymity I won't say her position, but an individual who was VERY high up at ATSU and is now at RVU and who wrote me a letter is visiting for Christmas and walked into my bank and told me if she were in my shoes (choosing between ATSU or BCOM), she would choose BCOM in a heartbeat. just interesting is all.

Just curious, did she give her reasoning?

Just curious, did she give her reasoning?
no. it was one of those things where I knew it wasn't appropriate to push for reasons. I live 10 minutes from the school with my own family, too and she knows that and still suggested moving to NM.

no. it was one of those things where I knew it wasn't appropriate to push for reasons. I live 10 minutes from the school with my own family, too and she knows that and still suggested moving to NM.

Well congratulations on both of your acceptances! I applied to ATSU because I live in Phoenix but was not accepted there, so I have decided on BCOM. I don't think you can go wrong either way. After all, we are going to be physicians!

Well congratulations on both of your acceptances! I applied to ATSU because I live in Phoenix but was not accepted there, so I have decided on BCOM. I don't think you can go wrong either way. After all, we are going to be physicians!
This is true!

Lol " In a heart beat" okay that's a bit exaggerated ! Everyone is making it seem like BCOM is the UCSF of DO schools.... Slightly entertaining; however, to each their own. And also That is not a heart beat decision as ATSU is a very strong program with a proven track record. BCOM has the potential to be the same but no one knows yet.

I would choose BCOM in a heartbeat over many of the other established schools. This school really won me over, I love it and everything they're about. This school is absolutely amazing and people are praising it because of how well they are out together. The ONLY thing they don't have is a graduated class to be the gauge for student caliber, but give it time and myself as well as the other 161 students will happily oblige on that note roughly 4 years from now. I understand the skepticism, but some of you guys take it to extremes to make sure people understand BCOM has POTENTIAL flaws. I will never understand why people do this, but it's their wish to post it and it didn't hurt my feelings.. I am just happy to be a part of this school's future.

I would choose BCOM in a heartbeat over many of the other established schools. This school really won me over, I love it and everything they're about. This school is absolutely amazing and people are praising it because of how well they are out together. The ONLY thing they don't have is a graduated class to be the gauge for student caliber, but give it time and myself as well as the other 161 students will happily oblige on that note roughly 4 years from now. I understand the skepticism, but some of you guys take it to extremes to make sure people understand BCOM has POTENTIAL flaws. I will never understand why people do this, but it's their wish to post it and it didn't hurt my feelings.. I am just happy to be a part of this school's future.
If you wouldn't mind, can you pm me what the interview day was like? Interviewing in January

Members don't see this ad :)

I did a masters program at a newer MD school. I found that newer schools, no matter how well intentioned have SOME kinks to work out. The most disappointing part was that the faculty and staff admitted to fault in certain areas but refused to change anything for our class, instead always stating they would make changes for the next year. We felt like Guinea pigs. I brought this up during my interview at BCOM, to which my interviewers agreed and ensured me that they would do their best to make necessary changes for OUR class. I felt confident after talking to them that they have the students best interests in mind. I know that there will be issues but I was very pleased in the way they handled my question and I think they really want their first class to succeed.

I did a masters program at a newer MD school. I found that newer schools, no matter how well intentioned have SOME kinks to work out. The most disappointing part was that the faculty and staff admitted to fault in certain areas but refused to change anything for our class, instead always stating they would make changes for the next year. We felt like Guinea pigs. I brought this up during my interview at BCOM, to which my interviewers agreed and ensured me that they would do their best to make necessary changes for OUR class. I felt confident after talking to them that they have the students best interests in mind. I know that there will be issues but I was very pleased in the way they handled my question and I think they really want their first class to succeed.

Old schools aren't exempt from kinks either. My school just implemented a new curriculum for my class and while the changes seem to be a good idea overall, there are still plenty of hiccups. It might be frustrating at times, but I'm certain that I made the best choice for my education.

Although being a Guinea pig can suck from time-to-time, it might also be beneficial because I'm sure BCOM's faculty and administration might be a bit more responsive to student input than those at some of the older schools are.

tl;dr: you'll have kinks and issues regardless of which school you go. Some schools may have more kinks than others, but if you're patient and want to participate in improving the school, BCOM seems like an awesome place to do so.

Yes, every school will have its kinks, but BCOM really pulled me in.

Old schools aren't exempt from kinks either. My school just implemented a new curriculum for my class and while the changes seem to be a good idea overall, there are still plenty of hiccups. It might be frustrating at times, but I'm certain that I made the best choice for my education.

Although being a Guinea pig can suck from time-to-time, it might also be beneficial because I'm sure BCOM's faculty and administration might be a bit more responsive to student input than those at some of the older schools are.

tl;dr: you'll have kinks and issues regardless of which school you go. Some schools may have more kinks than others, but if you're patient and want to participate in improving the school, BCOM seems like an awesome place to do so.

Yep you are right. I have a good friend who is currently at AZCOM and is really struggling with some of their recent changes. Attending a new school just provides the advantage that the faculty may be more receptive to student feedback than a well established university...

Has anybody from the deferred acceptance/ waitlist seen any movement? I'm really hoping to get pulled up into the acceptance for next year, but apparently there is a 31 person deferred acceptance waitlist?

Has anybody from the deferred acceptance/ waitlist seen any movement? I'm really hoping to get pulled up into the acceptance for next year, but apparently there is a 31 person deferred acceptance waitlist?

I'd like to hear about this, as well. I'm on the deferred acceptance waitlist and I'd love to be in the inaugural class.

I'd like to hear about this, as well. I'm on the deferred acceptance waitlist and I'd love to be in the inaugural class.

I was on the deferred list until I sent in my paperwork. They accepted me right away. I think either way is a blessing, whether you are accepted now or next year. This year would be amazing to be a part of the inaugural class, but if you are accepted for next year you only have to pay for 1 year of private loans and you have upperclassmen to help out.

I was on the deferred list until I sent in my paperwork. They accepted me right away. I think either way is a blessing, whether you are accepted now or next year. This year would be amazing to be a part of the inaugural class, but if you are accepted for next year you only have to pay for 1 year of private loans and you have upperclassmen to help out.

By "paperwork" do you mean your acceptance agreement? I am going to call tomorrow and see if they're open. I'll ask about waitlist movement. The more I think about this school, the more it seems like the right choice. I have more interviews but this remains at the top of my list.

1. Fact: There are key differences between federal loans and private loans. Federal student loans offer several repayment plans, including an option to tie your monthly payment to your income. Learn more about the differences between federal and private student loans at StudentAid.gov/federal-vs-private

Some important info.

1. Fact: There are key differences between federal loans and private loans. Federal student loans offer several repayment plans, including an option to tie your monthly payment to your income. Learn more about the differences between federal and private student loans at StudentAid.gov/federal-vs-private

Some important info.

This tells us nothing other than what we already know, that federal and private loans are different. Some private loans could be considered "better" than federal loans, but federal loans are usually the safer bet.

By "paperwork" do you mean your acceptance agreement? I am going to call tomorrow and see if they're open. I'll ask about waitlist movement. The more I think about this school, the more it seems like the right choice. I have more interviews but this remains at the top of my list.
Yes, the agreement. I sent it in on a Friday Via express mail and I was offered a direct acceptance the following Monday.

First time using this website! Those that have interviewed, how long after the interview did you receive notice of a decision for acceptance, deferred, wait list, or rejection? Thanks and good luck to all!

First time using this website! Those that have interviewed, how long after the interview did you receive notice of a decision for acceptance, deferred, wait list, or rejection? Thanks and good luck to all!
Should find out same day or like 2 days max I'd say. I found out the next day

They have a VERY quick turnaround time. I had a decision about 2.5 hours after the interview.

I just called admissions. They said they had about 10 people drop over the winter break. There will be some good waitlist movement in the next couple of days. He said they will be making some phone calls in the next few days!

Reactions: 4 users
It has been awhile since I posted, but I noticed that while NM is not as cold as the Midwest at the moment, it is still rather chilly. I was wondering if New Mexico saw much snow this winter for those that live there, or interviewed recently, and if so, if it is still there or melting. What with El Niño, everything has been in wack haha. Thanks again!

It has been awhile since I posted, but I noticed that while NM is not as cold as the Midwest at the moment, it is still rather chilly. I was wondering if New Mexico saw much snow this winter for those that live there, or interviewed recently, and if so, if it is still there or melting. What with El Niño, everything has been in wack haha. Thanks again!
I have the same question. How is weather now compared to NorthEast regions?

ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1451937154.964162.jpg

I was just officially pulled off the deferred waitlist. I'm very excited about going here. This school is currently my top choice. Still going to go to my other interview to learn more about another school. I look forward to seeing everyone!

Reactions: 7 users
Just got the call! Moved up from deferred and into the class of 2020!

IM FREAKING PUMPED

Reactions: 8 users
Just got the call! Moved up from deferred and into the class of 2020!

IM FREAKING PUMPED
what were your stats. congratultions. I'm currently retaking 5 classes at a cc but that will only bring up my science gpa to a 3.2 . my dream is western but don't think it will happen because their requirement is a 3.5

Congratulations ladies and gentlemen! Welcome to the class of 2020!

Will they be keeping the same number of deferred acceptances out? Will people from the waitlist be moved up to deferred acceptance as those from the current deferred acceptance list are given acceptances for this year?

Will they be keeping the same number of deferred acceptances out? Will people from the waitlist be moved up to deferred acceptance as those from the current deferred acceptance list are given acceptances for this year?
I think you would have to email the school admissions personally, but intuition tells me that they probably won't move people from the wait list to the deferred list. I say this because it doesn't make much sense - the deferred acceptance list is for students the school seems worthy of accepting, but cannot due to the class being filled. However, the wait list is for alternative candidates that the school looks to as a sort of back up position filler to ensure the class remains full going into each new year.

I think you would have to email the school admissions personally, but intuition tells me that they probably won't move people from the wait list to the deferred list. I say this because it doesn't make much sense - the deferred acceptance list is for students the school seems worthy of accepting, but cannot due to the class being filled. However, the wait list is for alternative candidates that the school looks to as a sort of back up position filler to ensure the class remains full going into each new year.
Bummer. So with the size of the deferred acceptance list, it sounds like the waitlist doesn't have much chance.

I actually think they will move people from wait list to deferred ; after all, many people once on the waitlist were moved to deferred

I actually think they will move people from wait list to deferred ; after all, many people once on the waitlist were moved to deferred

Hi, long time lurker, never a poster. I called earlier and they suspect that everyone on the deferred waitlist and about half of the folks on the normal waitlist will be accepted due to the burn rate of folks dropping their seat, not paying their deposits, or making other decisions. Keep in mind they are still currently interviewing so acceptances could possibly be extended to new students as well.

Keep in mind they are still currently interview so acceptances could possibly be extended to new students as well.
That's what keeps me excited for my January interview coming up. I'd be happy with a deferred acceptance TBH seeing as how this cycle is playing out for me.

Hi, long time lurker, never a poster. I called earlier and they suspect that everyone on the deferred waitlist and about half of the folks on the normal waitlist will be accepted due to the burn rate of folks dropping their seat, not paying their deposits, or making other decisions. Keep in mind they are still currently interviewing so acceptances could possibly be extended to new students as well.
I agree. There is a lot of love for bcom on sdn but remember sdn represents a very small percent of the applicant pool. A lot of people don't want to go here so there will be more people dropping seats than we think even though it may not seem like that by reading this thread. Patience everyone and good luck

Reactions: 2 users
That's what keeps me excited for my January interview coming up. I'd be happy with a deferred acceptance TBH seeing as how this cycle is playing out for me.

Rock that interview and you'll be just fine. It was pretty relaxed with open ended questions, seemed to me they just wanted to see how passionate folks are. Good luck!

Last edited:
There have been people moving from Waitlist to deferred? Can anyone else confirm this?

It kinda doesn't make sense that they would move people from a waitlist to a deferred waitlist, there's no pressure to ensure a full class for next cycle as there's a brand new cycle next year.

It kinda doesn't make sense that they would move people from a waitlist to a deferred waitlist, there's no pressure to ensure a full class for next cycle as there's a brand new cycle next year.

I see what you mean not sure ... I do know that multiple schools do this though