Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine (BCOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So people keep saying the rotations here are going to be really good. How does one verify? I've looked on the website and they look as good or better than most schools (especially new schools).

Are these really all going to be wards-based rotations?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
So people keep saying the rotations here are going to be really good. How does one verify? I've looked on the website and they look as good or better than most schools (especially new schools).

Majority will be ward based, but will depend on which teaching hub the student ends up in. Some hubs will have a good dose of preceptor based. I personally want a mix of both

Last edited:
Majority will be ward based, but will depend on which teaching hub the student ends up in. Some hubs will have preceptor based. I personally want a mix of both
That's so awesome! How did you find out? It's easier with more established schools bc you can just ask students, but I can't find that specific info anywhere.

Members don't see this ad :)

From what I have seen, the two hubs that seem to be ward based with GME are Las Cruces and El Paso (not sure about Albuquerque or Tucson). You can already see the GME in place for Las Cruces. The El Paso hub has University Medical Center which is the primary teaching hospital for most of Texas Tech's residents. Not sure how many of the rotations will be in UMC.

Its on the clinical partners tab on the website :)

That's so awesome! How did you find out? It's easier with more established schools bc you can just ask students, but I can't find that specific info anywhere.

Yeah I know this for a fact. They started deferring people to the class of 2021 near mid/ late October and moved people from the wait list to deferred.

I think you misread his post. He says he believes it isn't the case now.

Reactions: 1 user
Its on the clinical partners tab on the website :)

Well yeah I saw that lol. Just how do you know if they're going to be wards vs preceptor?

Well yeah I saw that lol. Just how do you know if they're going to be wards vs preceptor?

You won't be able to truly tell unless you ask the faculty.

However, you can infer whether they are ward based by looking at the GME. If the teaching is done in a hospital with residents, it is ward based. For the Las Cruces hub, there are three residency programs that are in the network which are important for 3rd year: internal medicine, psychiatry, family medicine. So if you look at the 3rd year academic calendar there are two months internal medicine, one month psychiatry, and two months family medicine (included geriatric month as extra month). This means at least 5 months (2+1+2) out of the 9 will be ward based. However, I could be assuming to little or too much in terms of GME. I can't guarantee that 5 months with be with GME. It could just as well be 3 months. GME are also still being put into place and so the amount of ward based months could increase.

Remember that each hub is different in terms of what they have to offer. Try to research the hospitals and see what you can find in terms of clinical education.

You won't be able to truly tell unless you ask the faculty.

However, you can infer whether they are ward based by looking at the GME. If the teaching is done in a hospital with residents, it is ward based. For the Las Cruces hub, there are three residency programs that are in the network which are important for 3rd year: internal medicine, psychiatry, family medicine. So if you look at the 3rd year academic calendar there are two months internal medicine, one month psychiatry, and two months family medicine (included geriatric month as extra month). This means at least 5 months (2+1+2) out of the 9 will be ward based. However, I could be assume to little or too much in terms of GME. I can't guarantee that 5 months with be with GME. It could just as well be 3 months. GME are also still being put into place and so the amount of ward based months could increase.

Remember that each hub is different in terms of what they have to offer. Try to research the hospitals and see what you can find in terms of clinical education.

Thanks a lot! I've never been within 200 miles of a teaching hospital, so all this stuff is new to me. For a brand new school, this place seems like such a powerhouse in terms of...well... everything. I think I'm just over analyzing my options since no matter where I go (even LECOM) I can't even fathom the amount of money I'm going to spend. It's really freaking me out!

Heck, the suit I bought for interviews cost more than my car!

Members don't see this ad :)
I know they talked about it in my interview but I can't remember what was said about the computer. I know that it comes with all of the material ready to go but is it PC or Mac? Is it part of the tuition or do we have to pay for it separately?

I know they talked about it in my interview but I can't remember what was said about the computer. I know that it comes with all of the material ready to go but is it PC or Mac? Is it part of the tuition or do we have to pay for it separately?

The computer will be a Dell, so PC. It should be included within tuition from what I understand.

The computer will be a Dell, so PC. It should be included within tuition from what I understand.
My paperwork shows tuition and then it shows fees and housing and stuff but it has 6K aside for books and supplies. Is that 6k included in tuition or is it on top, making our amount to live off lower. Check your paperwork, it may be online too I'm just going in to work right now

Edit:
I'm assuming laptop is included in books and supplies

Hey . When is the Texas match? Has it happened already? Just wondering because I feel like there will be some movement once people here from their in-state schools!

Hey . When is the Texas match? Has it happened already? Just wondering because I feel like there will be some movement once people here from their in-state schools!

TX match is February 1st

If they're pulling from the waitlist, it most likely means there's no one left on deferred list. There must have been a large amount of movement where people gave up their seats in the pasts couple weeks.

If they're pulling from the waitlist, it most likely means there's no one left on deferred list. There must have been a large amount of movement where people gave up their seats in the pasts couple weeks.
That's what logic would tell us, but I am curious to know if that is the actual case. Interesting.

Still waiting here. On the DA waitlist, and no luck yet. Really hoping I get the call soon.

I'm pretty sure there are still people on the deferred list, even though that list is shrinking. From what I understand from talking with them it seems as if they are expecting to move through the DA list and into the waitlist pretty soon. Hopefully that means good news for a lot of people.

I'm pretty sure there are still people on the deferred list, even though that list is shrinking. From what I understand from talking with them it seems as if they are expecting to move through the DA list and into the waitlist pretty soon. Hopefully that means good news for a lot of people.

Were you pulled from the Deferred Acceptance waitlist or from the regular waitlist? If the former, that is a ton of movement recently. That's 31 students on the DA waitlist.

That's unusual because it is understood that if you were DA'd you'd be placed atop the waitlist and ahead of those regular waitlisters. Congrats nonetheless.

Were you pulled from the Deferred Acceptance waitlist or from the regular waitlist? If the former, that is a ton of movement recently. That's 31 students on the DA waitlist.
If he was pulled from the waitlist, then that's strange seeing how there are still folks on the DA list.

I'm sure on a case by case basis someone on waitlist can move straight into the c/o 2020

Why weren't they initially placed on the deferred acceptance list then? I'm not saying whoever was accepted from the wait list doesn't deserve it, but it's kind of strange that they would be pulling from the wait list rather than the deferred acceptances.

Why weren't they initially placed on the deferred acceptance list then? I'm not saying whoever was accepted from the wait list doesn't deserve it, but it's kind of strange that they would be pulling from the wait list rather than the deferred acceptances.
Your guess is as good as as mine! Lol absolutely no idea,

LOL i know but i mean theres not rule to this.. G can do whatveva he want :)

It could be that all those on the DA waitlist are good applicants but not URM. From my understanding, the school has spots reserved for selected URMs and if one gives up their acceptance, then they would go to the next list that fulfills that open spots requirements. Im sure the school is aiming to meet a certain % of matriculants that fit the mission.

It could be that all those on the DA waitlist are good applicants but not URM. From my understanding, the school has spots reserved for selected URMs and if one gives up their acceptance, then they would go to the next list that fulfills that open spots requirements. Im sure the school is aiming to meet a certain % of matriculants that fit the mission.
This could possibly be the case as well. But, then again you would think they would put those URMs on the DA list, but oh well no one knows.

I agree. There is a lot of love for bcom on sdn but remember sdn represents a very small percent of the applicant pool. A lot of people don't want to go here so there will be more people dropping seats than we think even though it may not seem like that by reading this thread. Patience everyone and good luck

There's only a lot of love because those who only are accepted to this place have to convince themselves about how great it is somehow. If they were accepted anywhere else that just wouldn't be the case.

You should go with AZCOM. I'll take your seat at BCOM. I'm on the deferred list but I long for that sweet sweet Class of 2020 acceptance email.
Any luck getting off the DA list?

There's only a lot of love because those who only are accepted to this place have to convince themselves about how great it is somehow. If they were accepted anywhere else that just wouldn't be the case.
I dropped PCOM-GA for BCOM

Reactions: 1 users

Why are people still feeling the need to come on here and put other people down? If you didn't apply or won't be going to bcom that's fine, but there are a lot of really valid reasons people are excited about this school. For some it is their only acceptance and they should be proud that they got accepted to a US program. Just looking at this thread and the fb group though you can see that several people have multiple acceptances and are choosing bcom bc it's a better fit for them personally. Stop hating geeez

Reactions: 3 users

You can believe that if you'd like, but the truth is that many of us did have multiple acceptances and chose BCOM over other schools. Regardless, feeling it necessary to insult people who are ecstatic about the school they got into, in their own thread, reflects poorly on you.

Reactions: 2 users

I have two other acceptances but I'm going to BCOM. When I got the call from BCOM, I canceled all my other interviews.

Can't wait to meet you guys in the fall!

Reactions: 4 users
Although many people seem to put down this school, the fact that many people, I included, have dropped other acceptances to go to this school makes me excited.

I'm really excited to be future classmates with people who are very positive about this school. I think the student body and culture are going to be great because of it.

Reactions: 2 users
is it possible the people getting off regular waitlist interviewed before they started a deferred acceptance list and just were moved over to DA without being notified? as someone who interviewed in the very first group I was told people were ranked into quartiles on the list so just some thoughts.
also to above poster just received 4th interview invite with 2 acceptances and a WL already..so bcom is not a last resort - actually having a hard time with deciding btwn pcom ga and bcom like floresmd and may just place a deposit for pcomga until i make up my mind since my deposit deadline is fast approaching

is it possible the people getting off regular waitlist interviewed before they started a deferred acceptance list and just were moved over to DA without being notified? as someone who interviewed in the very first group I was told people were ranked into quartiles on the list so just some thoughts.
also to above poster just received 4th interview invite with 2 acceptances and a WL already..so bcom is not a last resort - actually having a hard time with deciding btwn pcom ga and bcom like floresmd and may just place a deposit for pcomga until i make up my mind since my deposit deadline is fast approaching
Congrats, on the acceptance. Place the deposit.

You can believe that if you'd like, but the truth is that many of us did have multiple acceptances and chose BCOM over other schools. Regardless, feeling it necessary to insult people who are ecstatic about the school they got into, in their own thread, reflects poorly on you.

You're in the minority for sure. If this was the case for most, the DA and a sizable portion of the waitlist wouldn't be depleted thus far. This place knows it's no one's top choice and that's why they started interviewing way earlier, as a desperate attempt to catch more people.

They are making hella bank off the increased security deposit price they did though. One way out of the innumerable ways Burrell largely failed though was the lack of scholarships they offer. If they wanted to go to toe-to-toe with the best they should have put their money where their mouth was and given people recruitment scholarships, instead they're just looking for quick and easy profit, hence the trying to build another school in montana right after this joint opened.

Last edited:
You're in the minority for sure. If this was the case for most, the DA and a sizable portion of the waitlist wouldn't be depleted thus far. This place knows it's no one's top choice and that's why they started interviewing way earlier, as a desperate attempt to catch more people.

They are making hella bank off the increased security deposit price they did though.

I'm imagining that probably 40-50% of any inaugural class is like that. I don't know why people who are going to other schools care so much about this place. I don't have a very high opinion of certain schools, but I'm not going to go troll those threads to make myself feel better. Did your parents not hug you enough as a kid or something?

I interviewed at plenty of schools and it seemed like a lot of them were just opened to make money. I won't name specific institutions bc I DON'T think it's appropriate to openly bash a school but there were a lot of problems in one way or another. There was either no effort to establish GME, research opportunities, or decent 3rd and 4th year rotations. Some had really vague descriptions of what the curriculum was like or really bare bones facilities. Some have a mission of attracting new doctors to the region and then choose to ship them all over the country every month for core rotations. Some had all of the above.

It has been made pretty clear that BCOM doesn't want to just be another school in a field in the middle of nowhere that gives its students the bare minimum and then cashes their tuition checks. It really seems like they are actually making an effort to attract physicians to the region and give them opportunities to be competitive residency applicants. And it looks like they're doing it to actually serve an underserved region. That's ultimately why I turned down my other acceptances and have decided I'll even turn down the acceptance I have (possibly) pending from what started out as my top choice at the beginning of this cycle.

It looks like you have had a successful cycle as well and I wish you the best of luck.

PS: I agree that the deposit is way too much , though

Reactions: 3 users