Nova Southeastern Univ (NSU-COM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am applying to Nova as well and found a few things that wanted to check up on:-

1. With regards to LOR's or References, I used Interfolio, had asked my writers to sign the letters they gave. The school's received the letters and they seem to be on my application.

2. I was told three weeks after sec app completion. I am curious to see if anyone so far has received a call after the two weeks?

3. What are the average stats that NOVA accepts? (i.e. MCAT vs GPA)

4. Do they have any small clinics that med students volunteer at? or any other volunteer locations?

I submitted my primary here last Wednesday (among 8 other schools). Still not received....do you know when schools will actually receive these primaries I've sent out?

Members don't see this ad :)
I submitted my primary here last Wednesday (among 8 other schools). Still not received....do you know when schools will actually receive these primaries I've sent out?

Pretty sure AACOMAS sends out primaries to schools every Tuesday.

Anyone have any issues sending letters via Interfolio that were electronically signed? Seems pretty bizarre that they would not accept letters with elec. sigs (this idea was mentioned earlier).

Last edited:
Got a call with vm that I was complete today! Can't wait to hear more :highfive:

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone have any issues sending letters via Interfolio that were electronically signed? Seems pretty bizarre that they would not accept letters with elec. sigs (this idea was mentioned earlier).
I'm not sure how they go about this. My school has a committee letter so when I submitted my evals to the committee they put everything together as a packet and upload it to Virtual Evals. The majority of the letters I sent to my committee were from Interfolio and NSU downloaded them from VE and I'm complete… I'd call and see. I called CUSOM and they said that (at least for them) they only need a letter on letterhead with original signature from the writer if it is sent via mail and anything submitted via Interfolio would be fine. Maybe the NSU policy is the same?

I'm not sure how they go about this. My school has a committee letter so when I submitted my evals to the committee they put everything together as a packet and upload it to Virtual Evals. The majority of the letters I sent to my committee were from Interfolio and NSU downloaded them from VE and I'm complete… I'd call and see. I called CUSOM and they said that (at least for them) they only need a letter on letterhead with original signature from the writer if it is sent via mail and anything submitted via Interfolio would be fine. Maybe the NSU policy is the same?
I asked admissions this point blank, she went and talked to someone higher up, and they came back and told me that it wasn't okay. Even from Interfolio. they want a real signature, they feel like the electronic is too easily 'faked'. Which of course, is rather bogus, but it appears to be a common line of thinking.

If someone else gets a different answer from a more recent than last Friday call I am interested in hearing. I would love to be wrong about this.

I asked admissions this point blank, she went and talked to someone higher up, and they came back and told me that it wasn't okay. Even from Interfolio. they want a real signature, they feel like the electronic is too easily 'faked'. Which of course, is rather bogus, but it appears to be a common line of thinking.

If someone else gets a different answer from a more recent than last Friday call I am interested in hearing. I would love to be wrong about this.
In that case I stand corrected, I have not contacted NSU directly about it. Just thought I'd throw in an anecdote to see if maybe someone else had done something similar.

That is bizarre. Common line of thinking? By who? I have a few physician administrators in my immediately family and have never heard of this.

Members don't see this ad :)
That is bizarre. Common line of thinking? By who? I have a few physician administrators in my immediately family and have never heard of this.
I was referring to a general sense that D.O. programs are more worried about false/fake/specific LOR than MD are. In my limited sample, I have had LOR difficulties with 3 out of 6 DO programs, whereas I had no trouble with any MD (9/9). I don't really want to get into specifics, but the DO schools have been much more suspicious of 'fake letters' and have in general a more cautious approach to LOR. I have had multiple programs mention not accepting certain types of letters cause they could be "too easily faked" even though they were verified by interfolio. Thats what I meant.

I was referring to a general sense that D.O. programs are more worried about false/fake/specific LOR than MD are. In my limited sample, I have had LOR difficulties with 3 out of 6 DO programs, whereas I had no trouble with any MD (9/9). I don't really want to get into specifics, but the DO schools have been much more suspicious of me as a nontrad and have in general a more cautious approach to LOR. Thats what I meant.
I see. Fair enough.

I was referring to a general sense that D.O. programs are more worried about false/fake/specific LOR than MD are. In my limited sample, I have had LOR difficulties with 3 out of 6 DO programs, whereas I had no trouble with any MD (9/9). I don't really want to get into specifics, but the DO schools have been much more suspicious of 'fake letters' and have in general a more cautious approach to LOR. I have had multiple programs mention not accepting certain types of letters cause they could be "too easily faked" even though they were verified by interfolio. Thats what I meant.
I am applying to Boston University and apparently they are also putting people on hold for not having signatures on their letters. It seems like some schools are much more strict than others in the allopathic realm too.

Should be any week now for interview invites, last year they began sending out on July 26 :)

Should be any week now for interview invites, last year they began sending out on July 26 :)
From perusing last year's threads, it looks like interview invites go out on Fridays. Maybe we can anticipate some activity tomorrow :)

Reactions: 3 users
From perusing last year's threads, it looks like interview invites go out on Fridays. Maybe we can anticipate some activity tomorrow :)
That would be cool with me, but I doubt I will get one since I only went 'complete' yesterday.

Does anyone know how to check the status of an application for this school?

Well I did have activity. I got a call telling me I was under review by the admissions committee. No II though.

Is everyones letters marked yet even though theyre not required yet

No II's today huh? Gotta be soon. Good luck everyone!

If we get a call from Nova saying our application is complete and under review (I got the call a few weeks ago), can we assume that everything has been accepted as is? My letters were sent via Interfolio but I didn't ask specifically for actual signatures vs. electronic signatures.

If we get a call from Nova saying our application is complete and under review (I got the call a few weeks ago), can we assume that everything has been accepted as is? My letters were sent via Interfolio but I didn't ask specifically for actual signatures vs. electronic signatures.
I'm wondering the same thing. I got the review call on July 1st. I tried calling Nova three times and also sent an email asking the same question. Couldn't get through the phone, nor have I received an email reply...

If your forwarded for review I would assume your fine. However, that is just IMO.

anyone get an II?
Not yet!! I think they review pretty hardcore before sending out II's, hope they can see through my bad grades that I have some potential in there somewhere :D

I would wager that once you receive a call from them saying that you are good to go, you are probably all set ! :)

Just so I'm 100% clear, NSU doesn't require your LORs to be in for you to get an II, right?

Just so I'm 100% clear, NSU doesn't require your LORs to be in for you to get an II, right?
I was told that they do require LOR's a couple weeks ago, others have been told that they don't. If you have 'em send 'em.

"Unfortunately, all four letters have to be on file for consideration, no exceptions." From an email I received about missing a non-science LOR.

To clarify, you DO need to have your letters in before you are extended an II, but they can be electronically signed/etc. However, if accepted, you must resubmit any letter not previously hand signed. Basically, they just need the gist of the letter to extend an II, but all of them have to be proven valid to complete your file upon admission. Hope this helps.

Reactions: 1 users
To clarify, you DO need to have your letters in before you are extended an II, but they can be electronically signed/etc. However, if accepted, you must resubmit any letter not previously hand signed. Basically, they just need the gist of the letter to extend an II, but all of them have to be proven valid to complete your file upon admission. Hope this helps.
This is incredibly helpful, thanks. I was wondering why they took my electronic sig guy after they said they wouldn't. This is at least a reasonable policy to me.

Do you know if we can mail them directly with the signed copy or do they want us to reupload it to interfolio?

Out of curiosity, where did you get this info from? Also, if my committee letter is hand-signed but the letters that accompany it aren't, would that be sufficient?

Per NSU's website: "It is recommended that letters are signed or submitted on official school letterhead."
http://medicine.nova.edu/do/admissions/

I added the bold to the "or" part. Wouldn't this mean that letters don't even need to be signed, electronic or otherwise, if the letter is on official letterhead?

FINALLY got to talk to someone in admissions. My "processed application summary" was never really updated except for the submission confirmation. They confirmed that all my letters had been received and didn't give any concerns about the signatures- for anyone who's concerned, all of my letters were sent via Interfolio. I know for certain one of them was not on letterhead.

Also, she said that interview invite correspondences should start "within the next month or two." ...

FINALLY got to talk to someone in admissions. My "processed application summary" was never really updated except for the submission confirmation. They confirmed that all my letters had been received and didn't give any concerns about the signatures- for anyone who's concerned, all of my letters were sent via Interfolio. I know for certain one of them was not on letterhead.

Also, she said that interview invite correspondences should start "within the next month or two." ...

Next month or two? NSU is a later cycle then :S

Wow, that cycle is so late, they might just be pregnant....

A little med humor...;)
Ive been a little confused of why sdners call it a cycle. Its not like we plan on applying again to complete the cycle. :p