Nova Southeastern Univ (NSU-COM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
supposedly nova looks at your app before the letters come in, but lots of other schools do not
Yes, and NOVA also sometimes does ii's before letters come in as well.

Members don't see this ad.

Edit, never mind. I was surprised they call everyone to tell them their complete.

But do they also ask everyone to confirm their adress and email adress?

Reactions: 1 user
I'm so confused. Nova just called me to confirm my address and email address. Then asked me If I had any questions, then gave me their number to check up on my status later if I wanted to.

Do they call everyone???

Yup. They when your application is ready for review.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can anyone kindly post the secondary application prompts? Thanks ahead!
There are none,

Relist volunteer stuff, and how you learned about osteopathic medicine. (Not supposed to be an essay)

Reactions: 1 users
Do we include physician shadowing under medically related volunteer activities on the secondary?

Same, the DO I shadowed mentioned that he will not write me a letter until he seems my MCAT results. So, not I have to wait till I write the mcat and the results to come in, and give him still a couple weeks to write the letter. Really annoying, but what can you do.

What kind of results does he want?

I start my first year at NSU-COM in a couple weeks. I can post about stuff like what the curriculum is like, campus environment, etc. if you guys want.
If anyone has any questions about the interview process/interview day let me know. Good luck everyone! :)

Reactions: 2 users
um............yeah.
I didnt. I dont think that is considered "volunteering"

Or maybe it is in my case since i helped with a couple things :p

Either way, i wouldn't stress. They have it on your primary

Reactions: 3 users
um............yeah.
Really? But it isn't exactly volunteering...i'm not doing anything to help or be of service, its more for personal?

Already submitted, but its in my primary anyways...so they should still see it..

Members don't see this ad :)
Really? But it isn't exactly volunteering...i'm not doing anything to help or be of service, its more for personal?

Already submitted, but its in my primary anyways...so they should still see it..
Idk I mean I included it last year on my secondary. I got an interview and was accepted so I don't think it really matters either way.

The best thing to do is just to answer each question honestly and to the best of your ability. Novas secondary application is one of the easiest ones to fill out, so don't over analyze or over think it lol.

FYI: Obviously proof read, but making 1 typo or grammar mistake isn't an app killer.

Some tips for those applying: This goes for any school, but don't sit on the secondary once you get it; turn it in ASAP. Nova's secondary is pretty easy so it should be a quick one. If you get an II, pick a day immediately. Interview days fill up incredibly fast at Nova and waiting even a little bit to choose a day can push your interview back a month. Good luck to everyone applying this cycle! And good luck to the incoming M1s. I look forward to meeting all of you.

I did get a call that everything was received. However, my LOR were not released from my school until today. My MCAT is a little low but I have really strong letters so I am hoping that they will review them as part of my whole application. It scares me that interviews are extended before LOR are even read - that might hurt me. Do you think I should contact admissions and let them know that my letters were just released?

Just let you know the timeline of the application process. Last year:

First round of ii started on the last Full week of July.
First interview dates started at the end of August.
Acceptances started around middle to late September.

The majority of interview invites happens between end of July and mid-September (ii batch every Friday)

The ii slowed down between Oct-Dec and then very sparingly Jan-March.

Disclaimer: Last year's application cycle was wildly unpredictable in terms of ii and acceptance turn arounds.
Yours may be different.

Just to give you a heads up:
1. Some students had a 4 day turn around after their interview & 0thers had a 3 month turn around (more towards the end of the year)
2. Sometimes people who interviewed weeks AFTER you will get accepted before you hear anything back (happened to me)

If this happens to...this is normal!

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Just let you know the timeline of the application process. Last year:

First round of ii started on the last Friday of July.
First interview dates started at the end of August.
Acceptances started around middle to late September.

The majority of interview invites happens between end of July and mid-September.
The ii slowed down between Oct-Dec and then very sparingly Jan-March.

Disclaimer: Last year's application cycle was wildly unpredictable in terms of ii and acceptance turn arounds.
Yours may be different.

Just to give you a heads up:
1. Some students had a 4 day turn around after their interview & 0thers had a 3 month turn around (more towards the end of the year)
2. Sometimes people who interviewed weeks AFTER you will get accepted before you hear anything back (happened to me)

If this happens to...this is normal!

Hope this helps.

Awesome, thank you for the helpful info!

This may sound like a stupid question but: Does anyone know whether NOVA does ii's before MCAT results? I have everything submitted including the LOR's, I am just waiting to do the mcat and for the results to come in, which will be early October.

This may sound like a stupid question but: Does anyone know whether NOVA does ii's before MCAT results? I have everything submitted including the LOR's, I am just waiting to do the mcat and for the results to come in, which will be early October.
Absolutely not. No medical does. Nice try though ;)

Hey all, I just submitted this secondary (my first DO secondary). How does the letters of recommendation work? When/how do I send them? I have interfolio, but have not done this yet for DO schools. Thanks!

Hey all, I just submitted this secondary (my first DO secondary). How does the letters of recommendation work? When/how do I send them? I have interfolio, but have not done this yet for DO schools. Thanks!
Usually, most students send them along with the secondaries. So log on to the interfolio account, select new delivery, type in the name of the school and it will automatically prompt you the address of the facility etc, then select which letters you would like to add to your delivery, then there is an option to add an ID that you would like to be associated with the delivery, and the ID should be your AACOMAS ID, so add it to the delivery, and after you see a checkmark, proceed with payment. Regards, OK

Just curious, how much did you guys write for the section "List and briefly describe your significant health care-related volunteer activities"? Did you copy and paste what you wrote from primary or cut it down to one or few sentence? Thanks

I was really confused by the wording in the prompt about working while in school. It said to start with your current position, but I haven't been in school for five years. I just listed the job I had during undergrad...

I was really confused by the wording in the prompt about working while in school. It said to start with your current position, but I haven't been in school for five years. I just listed the job I had during undergrad...

Yeah i think it assumes you are applying while in your senior year of undergrad. I did the same as you since I am no longer in school myself.

Any one know the process of getting the fee wavier for the secondary?

Good luck guys and gals! You should be receiving ii by the end of this week or the next.

Disclaimer: unless they really decided to switch up this application cycle

Good luck guys and gals! You should be receiving ii by the end of this week or the next.

No letters are needed yet for ii right? Just want to double check

My birthday is this weekend. Could definitely use an ii this week!!!!

Reactions: 2 users
Did everyone who was complete get a phone call? I haven't received a call yet and I submitted a long time ago.

They might have left you a message. Are you sure your contact phone number is correct?

Hey all, got the phone call like most of you. Enjoy reading your posts. Good luck to all of us waiting for ii's!

I don't want this to sound dumb but why do we have to disclose a sealed or expunged criminal offense? (I have an alcohol related written arrest from a few years ago) If it's expunged I it did not need to be noted on applications.

I don't want this to sound dumb but why do we have to disclose a sealed or expunged criminal offense? (I have an alcohol related written arrest from a few years ago) If it's expunged I it did not need to be noted on applications.

Honestly not sure. However, I wouldn't try to stress about it too much. If it was something that happened while you were young and won't prevent you from receiving your medical license, just own up to it and explain that you've learned from it.

I had a public urination I listed. Although I wasn't arrested and I'm 99% sure it's not on my record anymore, I disclosed it. I've actually had schools already tell me that it won't affect my app and that they appreciate my honesty.

Good luck and roll tribe.

Honestly not sure. However, I wouldn't try to stress about it too much. If it was something that happened while you were young and won't prevent you from receiving your medical license, just own up to it and explain that you've learned from it.

I had a public urination I listed. Although I wasn't arrested and I'm 99% sure it's not on my record anymore, I disclosed it. I've actually had schools already tell me that it won't affect my app and that they appreciate my honesty.

Lol

Thanks for the advice, mine was a written citation for having another persons ID at the beginning of my sophomore year (2011) and I did diversion and expungement. Guess I'll just explain the situation and hope for the best!

Did most people basically just reiterate their AACOMAS listings for the supplemental asking for significant activities? Thanks!!