Nova Southeastern Univ (NSU-COM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I got the "complete call" on 10/21, but nothing since. Did you get the II by phone or email?

How long from submission did it take for them to call you/complete?

Members don't see this ad.

How do you all feel that NSU is adding the allopathic school? Do you0 think more efforts/ funds will be channeled to them?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if Nova is receptive to letters of intent/update letters? Recently started a clinical job 2 months ago not on my AACOMAS and hoping to tell them I'm very interested still
Why not? I sent in a letter of intent/update after my interview and it clearly didn't hurt! Unless a school specifically requests that you not send updates (like USF), then they usually want to know if you have pertinent information to add to your file. As long as you're not sending one every week lol.

Does anyone know if Nova is receptive to letters of intent/update letters? Recently started a clinical job 2 months ago not on my AACOMAS and hoping to tell them I'm very interested still
That's a question best answered by Nova admissions. I would call them to make sure.

If complete since 9/3 and no II, should we assume silent rejection?? :(
Assume nothing. Two months of waiting is a lot, but they've been pretty slow (read previous pages, you'll see). I think it might be a good idea to give them a call and see where they're at with your app. They had told me the review would take about 4 weeks, so I'm actually going to call them next week just to stay on top of things.

Reactions: 1 user
Wow. Wow. WOW. Interviewed today and all I can say is wow.

Reactions: 2 users
To those who interviewed, does the interview day typically end on time at 3:30 pm? I might have to work the following day so I wonder if a flight flying out at 6:18pm would be cutting it too close. Is traffic pretty bad on a Tuesday?

To those who interviewed, does the interview day typically end on time at 3:30 pm? I might have to work the following day so I wonder if a flight flying out at 6:18pm would be cutting it too close. Is traffic pretty bad on a Tuesday?

The interview did end around 3:30pm, if not 10 minutes more. If you are flying in to FLL, you'll have plenty of time!

This school takes the cake for being the most unorganized school I have ever applied too.
I am accepted to three schools and I havent even gotten an interview from then them........

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
This school takes the cake for being the most unorganized school I have ever applied too.
I am accepted to three schools and I havent even gotten an interview from then them........

No offense, but none of us are entitled to anything by any of the med schools we apply to..

Reactions: 3 users
We pay a supplemental fee and this fee entitles us to a due process. Not a process where everything is up in the air. Every other school has kept me so much better informed.
It is honestly ridiculous.

We pay a supplemental fee and this fee entitles us to a due process. Not a process where everything is up in the air. Every other school has kept me so much better informed.

Your two posts are on opposite sides of the fence! I can definitely agree with your second post. The first post seemed like the school owed you an II lol.

Well if its any consolation, once you actually get the interview they are very good with their response time compared to other schools. For example, I interviewed at NYIT two weeks before Nova (first week of October) and I still haven't heard back. Give it time dude, if you have 3 acceptances you don't need to be stressing anyway.

Reactions: 3 users
does anyone know what time the actual interview starts? we're told to arrive at 815 but i mean the actual interview part

Well if its any consolation, once you actually get the interview they are very good with their response time compared to other schools. For example, I interviewed at NYIT two weeks before Nova (first week of October) and I still haven't heard back. Give it time dude, if you have 3 acceptances you don't need to be stressing anyway.

No way!!!
I interviewed at nycom then too, I just got my acceptance there yesteray
My hands were shaking so hard when I saw I got a big envelope from them

Your two posts are on opposite sides of the fence! I can definitely agree with your second post. The first post seemed like the school owed you an II lol.

Oh I didn't mean it that way I just meant it as "why do they refuse to give us any info about interviews, a time line etc..."

My turn to wait for any news. Just submitted my secondary.

Complete in early July and haven't heard a thing. I called admissions today and they said I'm "under review" ... I wonder if this is a bad sign.

Complete in early July and haven't heard a thing. I called admissions today and they said I'm "under review" ... I wonder if this is a bad sign.
Their process is random...not s bad sign just have to be patient

Their process is random...not s bad sign just have to be patient
Also not all schools keep you updated. Most will just say you are under review until you get an interview or they will usually let you know this summer that you did not get it.

ACCEPTED via email just now!! Interviewed 10/15. OOS.

Reactions: 7 users
Does anyone know if NSU offers scholarships to international students? I've looked on their site but can't seem to find anything specific to DO

Accepted! Interviewed 10/29, OOS applicant!

Reactions: 4 users
Accepted. Interviwed 10/27...giving up my spot though. I hope it goes to one of you

Reactions: 2 users
ACCEPTANCE! Interviewed on 10/27. OOS. First acceptance. Mama, I'm gonna become a doctor!

Reactions: 7 users
For those waiting to hear, you should know there have been a lot of recent changes at the school which I am sure is slowing the process. Hang in there. I should tell you all, when I interviewed, we were told they accept just about everyone that comes in for the interview. If you get an interview, that's a really great sign. So if you were interviewed, be patient :)

When did you interview? I was told everyone that interviewed after Nov 5 would hear around Dec 4
Whoops, just realized I interviewed Nov 3rd. We were also told we would hear by Dec 4th. But I just got an email.

Last edited:
Did any of your accepted students send in thank you letters? I really want to but I don't want to get rejected because of it lol.

I got waitlisted to every school I sent thank you letters to and I got in to every school that I didn't lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Did any of your accepted students send in thank you letters? I really want to but I don't want to get rejected because of it lol.

I got waitlisted to every school I sent thank you letters to and I got in to every school that I didn't lol
I sent thank you emails to all the schools I interviewed at and to NSUCOM. I personally think that it is a good practice to send thank you notes. Good luck!!

Hey all. I have a question about what I should do at this point. I was complete at the end of October and I got the phone call. How long should I wait before giving them a call to ask about what to expect in terms of timelines, if I should even do that. Just wondering because there is no way to check admissions status, and I was wondering about interview chances

Hey all. I have a question about what I should do at this point. I was complete at the end of October and I got the phone call. How long should I wait before giving them a call to ask about what to expect in terms of timelines, if I should even do that. Just wondering because there is no way to check admissions status, and I was wondering about interview chances
I got the phone call 10/21 and they said my file would be reviewed in 4 weeks. I quickly learned from SDN that that would not be the case. But the 4 weeks will be up tomorrow and I will definitely call and ask about my application.

I think this is good evidence that thank you notes/letters are not critical and don't affect adcom decisions.

Also,
Pay very careful attention, because I really want to put a stake in the heart if this annoying pre-med urban legend:

Thank you cards have ZERO effect upon your acceptance. By the time the interviewer recives the card, the Adcom has already met, and the decision has already been made. Even NY the time you email your interviewers, they've already made up their minds.

I throw away cards unopened. Perversely, I'll read an email and acknowledge it. But no Adcom member will ever say "gee, how polite this fellow is, I'll accept him".

Capeesh?

Haha alright thank you! Because I really enjoyed the interview and loved my student ambassadors. I'll do it then :)

External: Besides the humidity, the pesky undergrads in close proximity, and the iPad necessity, I personally don't see any glaring negativity in nsucom :)

Topics to consider:

1. iPads have been failing during test taking, school hasn't tried to remedy this error. Ipads are a big obstacle being faced, starting next semester all exams will be given on iPads. Last exam given on ipad resulted in many students losing time to take the exam.
2. Testing in general has been rocky. In one exam, it was cancelled 30 mins after starting due to answers being provided on the exams.
3. Not all classes are run by COM because there are so many other programs on campus, therefore grading policies are not uniformed.
4. Classes are shared with MBS students, this means test averages include MBS students that have more time to study than their counterparts. This affects the class ranking.
5. Anatomy lab is still closed and there are rumors it might not be ready by this spring.