Nova Southeastern University (NSU-COM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Feel like my interview went horribly so i'm assuming i got rejected lmao. Interviewed 9/22

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Feel like my interview went horribly so i'm assuming i got rejected lmao. Interviewed 9/22

I dont know about the others in this group but I interviewed much earlier than that and I think the others who heard today are in the same boat, I wouldn't be so negative before hearing some more people from your interview date.

Members don't see this ad :)
How many batches of interview results have come out? I guess in other words does anyone know if NSU has interviewed heavily already or not...

Hi, how safe it is studying at NSU in terms of crimes and hurricanes? Any current student or FL resident want to share their personal experience? Thanks

Hi, how safe it is studying at NSU in terms of crimes and hurricanes? Any current student or FL resident want to share their personal experience? Thanks
Haha I can speak for hurricanes.. majority of the time you have nothing to worry about. Every once in a while there could be a major hurricane, but then you could just evacuate. You'll be fine!

Reactions: 1 user

Davie is a pretty safe city since it is a college town. Hurricane is unpredictable but as the person above says, there would be no school and you would evacuate anyway so it is really nothing to worry about!

How many batches of interview results have come out? I guess in other words does anyone know if NSU has interviewed heavily already or not...

Not many, only a few batches. NSU usually interviews throughout the cycle until March/April, no news is good news!

Been complete since the beginning of August and haven't heard a peep :(

Anyone else in the same boat??

hai guyssss
for all you accepted peeps, shoot me a message if you have any questions. I'm a current M1 at Nova
congrats on the acceptances:)

Safe in Davie. Just don't go near Lauderhill, Dania Beach, or Liberia. Anything past the Turnpike going west is safe. Anything going nearer to the East is where it gets pretty bad.

:rofl:

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
@poloboy : hello gentlemen. I wanted to reach out and give you a little information about NSU (not necessarily the DO program but the grounds). NSU is my alma mater for both undergraduate and graduate. The University Center (The UC), the building where the gym, food court, bar, auditorium(s) are located) is a beautiful center with tons of things to do. An a gym rat myself, I will address the gym topics that have been brought up. The gym actually has 6 squat racks (3 on the left side and 3 on the right side of the center wall), it has two complete sections of free weights. Upstairs there are over 20 professional rowing machines as our rowing team can be seen practicing there AND 4 regular rowing machines. There are dozens of treadmills, bikes, mats of stretching and 1 boxing bag on the upper level near the elevators. The UC also houses a bar where you can grab a beer anytime (employees are only served alcohol after 1700, and more recently they have started serving food. There is also a mini convenience store, full food court with 24hr Starbucks , a souvenir store and two auditoriums. There is just an infinite amount of things that you can do and participate in. If you're still not satisfied with the facility there is a gym down on University and Stirling by the Target. We also have the Dolphins training camp right behind HPD which sometimes y can see the players practicing and for sure will hear the crowds.

If there's anything that you want to know, let me know. I'm applying next cycle so I hope to see some of you there during your M2.

I wonder who you are lol, fellow undergrad here too

Hey guys, sorry this is an unrelated topic, but is it true that this school "superscores" the MCAT?

Im interviewing Thursday. How many people interview you and about how many interviewees do they have at a time?

Hi, I need some second opinions from you guys.

I am currently doing my master program and will be graduating next year. I got accepted into nova and I don't know if I should finish my master program or withdraw it to save some money for med school. I have one year of research experience so far , and after talking to my research mentor it sounds like even if I finished my program the publication of my work is not guaranteed. So I'm not sure if it is worth completing the program. I know many residency programs want to see some research experience, but I don't know if they only consider publications or they consider research experience without publications as well. If they consider research experience without publication, is my one year experience good enough? Thanks.

I am currently doing my master program and will be graduating next year. I got accepted into nova and I don't know if I should finish my master program or withdraw it to save some money for med school. I have one year of research experience so far , and after talking to my research mentor it sounds like even if I finished my program the publication of my work is not guaranteed. So I'm not sure if it is worth completing the program. I know many residency programs want to see some research experience, but I don't know if they only consider publications or they consider research experience without publications as well. If they consider research experience without publication, is my one year experience good enough? Thanks.

I would talk to NOVA first. When you submit courses or degrees they are assuming you will have it before matriculation.

Im interviewing Thursday. How many people interview you and about how many interviewees do they have at a time?

Typical 2 vs.1 interview. My interview group (early august) had ~ 15-20 applicants.

Reactions: 1 users

Most residencies want to see publications while in medical school.

Source: I have spoken to many PIs who said that my front-loaded publications are nice, but not what they're looking for.

Most residencies want to see publications while in medical school.

Source: I have spoken to many PIs who said that my front-loaded publications are nice, but not what they're looking for.
But will we have time to do research and even publish a paper? Cause we basically only have one break throughout 4 years which is the summer break between first and second year.

What if my supervisor is a Physician? Would that be a valid letter?

I'm new here, but this will prob be fine. I submitted 2 science, 1 DO, and 1 MD Supervisor letters. I didn't even ask if the letters were sufficient, but I got a call stating my app was complete (and an e-mail the following day). Very likely, you're good to go. :)

Anyone know the best email to contact admissions? Would like to provide some updates to my app.

But will we have time to do research and even publish a paper? Cause we basically only have one break throughout 4 years which is the summer break between first and second year.

Thousands of students do it every year -- yes. Like most things in this process: if you want it, you make it work.

Congrats to everyone accepted. Hoping to receive some love from NOVA

What did you bring to your interview day? Are there any forms/ state id? I did not see that info on website.

What did you bring to your interview day? Are there any forms/ state id? I did not see that info on website.

I don't remember anyone asking for any forms/state ID. If you're bringing a car, make sure you have the parking pass/directions they linked you to on your interview confirmation email. Otherwise, they didn't ask for anything and provide you with a bag/packet full of information. I don't remember needing anything off hand, although I did have a copy of my application for my own peace of mind, lol

This is my own biased opinion, but depending on what your masters/research is in, it might be worth it to stick it out even if you don't actually get published. If you drop out now then you would have 1.) wasted whatever money and time you've already invested, 2.) guarantee not getting any pubs/posters/presentations, and 3.) have no advanced degree to show for it. I also think it will be hard justifying adding that research experience to your residency application during a masters program that you never completed.

To answer your question, residencies will like seeing research and obviously having something published is better. However, you can add research experience to your application for residency even if you didn't get a publication or anything out of it. If I were you, I would at least complete the degree because then you can add it and the research for residency applications. Also, you should talk to your research mentor about helping with other projects and see if you can piggyback so you can at least get your name on something before you get your masters.

I want to emphasize that it really depends what research and field your masters is in, because depending on what field you go into and how you spin it, it can help you snag some interviews.

Just my two cents.

You aren't guaranteed to get into medical school again. See if nova will let you defer for a year to finish your degree. Just remember the end goal is to be a doctor so don't waste the opportunity! Best of luck to you.

Did anyone whose application was pending receive a II ? Also what's snail mail ?

If I didn't get a pending to receive an interview but haven't gotten rejected, do y'all think I'm basically screwed for an interview? Technically they would have to go through all the pendings and then get to the ones who not neither a rejection nor a pending. Idk if im overthinking or what to think so I wanted to ask

If I didn't get a pending to receive an interview but haven't gotten rejected, do y'all think I'm basically screwed for an interview? Technically they would have to go through all the pendings and then get to the ones who not neither a rejection nor a pending. Idk if im overthinking or what to think so I wanted to ask

I was wondering the same thing, then I got my pending letter the next day (lol)

Still no word from nova. Secondary was submitted 10/06 and complete 10/10. I'm hoping for good news soon. Has anyone called lately and has anyone gotten an II recently? Seems pretty quiet for a bit.

Just sent in my app here. Better late than never I guess. The doctor I'm good friends with went here and suggested I apply due to its awesomeness. o_O

Still no word from nova. Secondary was submitted 10/06 and complete 10/10. I'm hoping for good news soon. Has anyone called lately and has anyone gotten an II recently? Seems pretty quiet for a bit.

HAHA, look back a bit on the thread. It's going to be a long, LONG wait for this school.

Reactions: 2 users
HAHA, look back a bit on the thread. It's going to be a long, LONG wait for this school.

I know. It seems like everyone on the DO forums are quiet right now. I'm a little bummed at that because I'm sure there are plenty of people who aren't commenting about their II and acceptances and it's helpful for us who are waiting.

Hey, I'm in a similar position to you except my masters is course-based so it's not a big deal if I drop it. I am planning on finishing this year but not returning next year so I will not receive a masters degree. I knew I would prefer to go with med school instead of wasting another year doing a masters even though I liked it. If I don't get accepted I will complete it.

Alternate listed. Honestly not surprised and not upset. 100% withdrawing my app. Best of luck to everyone else

I got a call from Nova on Friday, but it was to tell me that I'm missing documents, they left a voicemail. Then got an email telling me to sign some document?? Anybody else get this?