Pacific Northwest University (PNWU-COM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
No news---"committee" since 9/15 also...

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Committee since 10/7...I guess I still have a while to go.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, I'm a non-trad from a "rural" Central Washington town and looking to apply to PNW next cycle. I'm just curious about what kind of clinical experience/patient exposure did those who were accepted already this cycle have? I have access to plenty of shadowing in my hometown (my brother is an OBGYN, my dad is in Orthopedics, and because of such I know a good number of physicians here). I'm finishing up a bunch of prereqs that I never took as part of my undergrad that I finished 3 years ago , working, and have a wonderful wife and two little ones at home. I'm able to be flexible with some docs here that will let me come and go and shadow as much as I want and whenever I want but I'm just curious if PNW recognizes a good amount of only shadowing time as sufficient patient exposure? Any thoughts or personal insight??

Hey guys, I'm a non-trad from a "rural" Central Washington town and looking to apply to PNW next cycle. I'm just curious about what kind of clinical experience/patient exposure did those who were accepted already this cycle have? I have access to plenty of shadowing in my hometown (my brother is an OBGYN, my dad is in Orthopedics, and because of such I know a good number of physicians here). I'm finishing up a bunch of prereqs that I never took as part of my undergrad that I finished 3 years ago , working, and have a wonderful wife and two little ones at home. I'm able to be flexible with some docs here that will let me come and go and shadow as much as I want and whenever I want but I'm just curious if PNW recognizes a good amount of only shadowing time as sufficient patient exposure? Any thoughts or personal insight??
Shadowing will only get you so far (I didn't even shadow a DO). I work as part of the lift team in a major rural/underserved hospital in California and I am sure that experience helped get me accepted. Is your current job in healthcare? If not you might want to consider doing something like CNA or scribing. Also, have you been involved in community service/volunteering? Don't neglect that part of your application either.

Reactions: 1 user
The job isn't in healthcare (a junior college basketball coach). But, I'm pretty confident that I could work as a private scribe for a private practice physician. Do you think that would be more beneficial than shadowing?

I have worked in critical care at a hospital in southern Oregon for over 2 years. Also, I was a special Olympics coach for almost 4 years and took part in many medical community service and volunteer opportunities in college. I shadowed 2 DOs as well.

If you are wanting to stay in the PNW then that's a definite plus. I would do what excites you, so if you are offered an interview you can explain your experiences with passion when they ask.

Honestly, being from rural Washington and wanting to stay in the PNW is a HUGE benefit for you. The school is very biased to students with Northwest ties and who want to settle in the area. I'd focus on getting good grades and MCAT, and find ways to demonstrate that you're involved in the community. They seem to value community involvement very highly. Since you asked for more specifics, I have approximately 300 hours of hands on experience as a hospital volunteer (more or less a cna), 20 hours shadowing DO, 30 hours as an community liason through my church, and a couple hundred hours as a volunteer track coach. I don't think it's a magic formula, but that's what I have.

Reactions: 1 users

For me, I have 4000 hours working hands on as a CNA at a hospital in Oregon and only shadowed one DO about 8 years ago. Like everyone has said, there is no magic number on the amount of hours or what activities you need to have. As long as you can discuss why your experiences were meaningful to you and your goal in becoming a DO.

On a different note, anybody accepted send in their deposit yet? I have already done it so i wanted to see who all will be joining me in the fall! :)

For me, I have 4000 hours working hands on as a CNA at a hospital in Oregon and only shadowed one DO about 8 years ago. Like everyone has said, there is no magic number on the amount of hours or what activities you need to have. As long as you can discuss why your experiences were meaningful to you and your goal in becoming a DO.

On a different note, anybody accepted send in their deposit yet? I have already done it so i wanted to see who all will be joining me in the fall! :)
I'm still waiting for my physical letter! It's taking its sweet time to get to California. I will be submitting my deposit shortly, though!

Sent mine in a couple of days ago still no update in the portal though to mark it as complete. I think I'll send an email by the end of this week to make sure it got received if I do not see the portal updating. Sadly I do not trust USPS to get things done correctly. I still need to cancel my interview at COMP-NW in lebanon but wanted to make sure everything went through with PNWU before cancelling.

as for the question from:

I think your shadowing hours are pretty good already. I only shadowed an MD for 80 hours or so. I am a non traditional applicant who graduated with a business degree, worked for 5 years, went back to school to take prereqs and applied and got in this year. I've been volunteering in a hospital in the surgery pavilion and outpatient pharmacy (8 hours a week) for half a year so far. I am stopping the volunteering so I can find a part time job to save up money for when school starts. I also teach on the weekends at my church as a volunteer which I have been doing for the past 10 years or so. Besides the volunteering in a hospital I don't really have much of experience in the medical field. At the end of the day it's all about your application and how you sell yourself. If you are worried at clinical hours, I'm sure any hospital or clinic would be more than happy to have a volunteer come in once a week for a few hours to help them.

Sent mine in a couple of days ago still no update in the portal though to mark it as complete. I think I'll send an email by the end of this week to make sure it got received if I do not see the portal updating. Sadly I do not trust USPS to get things done correctly. I still need to cancel my interview at COMP-NW in lebanon but wanted to make sure everything went through with PNWU before cancelling.

Nice! Yeah I don't trust the USPS either. How long did it take on the portal to mark complete? The tough part for me is finding housing for my family and two dogs. Any current students have any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for all of the advice. If you have anything else, please don't hesitate to fill me in! Thanks again!

II today. Committee on 9/4.
II on Tuesday as well! I scheduled for 12/05.
For those that were accepted, you were all notified the next week, correct? I have some other acceptances that I need to decide between by 12/14 with my initial deposit, so I'm wondering if I would get the decision before then?

For those that were accepted, you were all notified the next week, correct? I have some other acceptances that I need to decide between by 12/14 with my initial deposit, so I'm wondering if I would get the decision before then?

They let you know the Thursday after the interview most of the time. I think they only time they do not do that is if the dean is out of the office or on vacation.

Was 12/5 the only available date? Or did you pick that date based on your schedule?

Oh and when were you placed under committee?

Last edited:
Nice! Yeah I don't trust the USPS either. How long did it take on the portal to mark complete? The tough part for me is finding housing for my family and two dogs. Any current students have any suggestions?

I have a friend who goes there right now who rents a house down the street from the school because he has a pet that the apartments do not allow. He tells me that the rent is pretty decent, around 900 a month or so.

is the secondary essay supposed to be single spaced or double spaced?

Was 12/5 the only available date? Or did you pick that date based on your schedule?

Oh and when were you placed under committee?
12/5 was the earliest date. They also had Jan/Feb available. I was put on committee on 9/4 and basically gave up hope on this school after a month of staying on that status, so receiving this II was fantastic. Like I said, I hope that they give out the decisions within a week, so that I have at least a few days to decide which school I want to put my money down on.

Anyone that was moved to committee on 9/11 get an II yet?

Curious as to the interview format as well as if they are open file or not? Just want to be as prepared as possible.

Curious as to the interview format as well as if they are open file or not? Just want to be as prepared as possible.
Yes... but I think you should know your application with any interview you attend. Good luck!

II just now...didn't realize they worked on Sundays...complete 9/18...committee since 10/7.

II just now...didn't realize they worked on Sundays...complete 9/18...committee since 10/7.
Congrats!!! Would you mind sharing your stats? Was your portal updated or did u get the email??

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

My portal was updated yesterday around 4:00pm and I received the email today....The only interview date options they gave me were January 23rd and February 27th though...I hope they don't fill all the seats by then :/

Can any current students give me an overall satisfaction rating for this school?

Rejected pre-interview via the portal today. Bummer but not terribly surprising - I have no ties to the PNW. Good luck to everyone else!

II! Was on committee since 9/4. January in PNW, here I come

Truly cannot wait to interview here. November 20th cannot come soon enough. Perhaps find a local haunt for drinks after? Who will join me?

Rejected pre-interview via the portal today. Bummer but not terribly surprising - I have no ties to the PNW. Good luck to everyone else!
Sorry to hear:/ When were u put on committee?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I randomly checked the portal today and it says interview!! Can't wait for that official email. Complete 9/1 and committee since 9/17. OOS applicant (east coast).

I randomly checked the portal today and it says interview!! Can't wait for that official email. Complete 9/1 and committee since 9/17. OOS applicant (east coast).

+1. Committee on 9/15.

How many MMI's are there on interview day? And how many interviewees? Wasn't it around 30 interviewees?

There were around 60 when I interviewed.

I interviewed the first day and there was only one group of 30 of us.

II today (OOS, committee 9/4)! :)

Do they screen hard pre-secondary? I submitted 10/1 and have yet to receive a confirmation email/secondary.

PNWU won't send you a secondary unless they could see you interviewing at their school. They aRe very conscious of your money and don't want you to waste money on your secondary if they can't see you interviewing. That's what Michael riggins told me, one of the admissions counselors.

I interviewed the second day and there were 64 of us. 4 MMIs and 1 group interview.
What format is the group interview? Is it like an MMI format where all of the members work together or a more traditional panel interview?

What format is the group interview? Is it like an MMI format where all of the members work together or a more traditional panel interview?
I don't think we can disclose specific information like that.. My advice on interview day is to live in the moment, know your application, and show your true self. You're interviewing for medical school! That's a huge accomplishment. Enjoy the experience and try to relax :)
Good luck!

Reactions: 2 users
I don't think we can disclose specific information like that.. My advice on interview day is to live in the moment, know your application, and show your true self. You're interviewing for medical school! That's a huge accomplishment. Enjoy the experience and try to relax :)
Good luck!
Thanks!!