Touro University - California (TUCOM-CA) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
EDIT: I posted this in the wrong thread sorry :dead:

Members don't see this ad.

Interviewing here May 5th, and I've heard some pretty awful things about Touro, in terms of clinical rotations and the amount of help offered by the school. Can any current students at Touro (preferably 3rd/4th years) give their insight?

Reactions: 1 user
Just writing this in case an applicant this coming cycle reads old forums (I do that to see waitlist movement at schools/get feedback from current students about the school):

Hopefully their secondary this year isn't difficult to work with. If it still is, and they give you 4 lines and expect you to craft a decent answer, I did this: On the first line of each of those questions, I wrote "Refer to next page," where I had attached a word document (converted to PDF) where I had a *short* paragraph answering the question properly. I'm hoping this made it easier for them to read too...

I applied really really late and got an interview invite a couple days after submitting my secondary, so if anyone has any tips/feedback about the interview and TOURO-CA in general, I'm all ears :)

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Interviewing here May 5th, and I've heard some pretty awful things about Touro, in terms of clinical rotations and the amount of help offered by the school. Can any current students at Touro (preferably 3rd/4th years) give their insight?
I'm interviewing there on 5th too. Are you local or you will stay in a hotel? I'll stay in Courtyard on the 4th if you wanna hang out :)

PM me if you like. Current 4th year.

I'm interviewing there on 5th too. Are you local or you will stay in a hotel? I'll stay in Courtyard on the 4th if you wanna hang out :)
Hello! I'm currently in Irvine, but am from Fremont, so I'm planning on driving from my hometown on the 5th :( But I look forward to meeting you :D Hopefully the group interview isn't too bad

Also let me just say that touro gets some bad press especially here on sdn because of things that have been posted years ago but the reality is that touro does not have any problems in terms of clinical rotations that aren't also experienced by most DO programs. Also if you can, when you PM try to be specific about what you are concerned about so I can better focus my response thanks!

Again I'm a TUCOM-CA 4th year graduating next month entering ACGME internal medicine.

Hello! I'm currently in Irvine, but am from Fremont, so I'm planning on driving from my hometown on the 5th :( But I look forward to meeting you :D Hopefully the group interview isn't too bad
I'm looking forward to meeting you too. This is my first group interview hopefully I don't freak out LOL.

Do any past interviewees have any advice about group interviews? I've never been to one, so it'd be helpful to have an idea of what Touro's interview is like.

Also let me just say that touro gets some bad press especially here on sdn because of things that have been posted years ago but the reality is that touro does not have any problems in terms of clinical rotations that aren't also experienced by most DO programs. Also if you can, when you PM try to be specific about what you are concerned about so I can better focus my response thanks!

Again I'm a TUCOM-CA 4th year graduating next month entering ACGME internal medicine.
I just PMd you! Most of my concerns stem from the posts made a few years ago, so that's all I have to go off of until I see the school myself!

Hello there fellow SDNers,
I have all of the books, Welch Allyn kit which includes the pan optic ophthalmoscope set which is required from TUCOM-CA for doctoring courses, etc. for sale.
A survey was done from the class of 2015/2016 DO students in which students listed the most important/ useful books during their studies at TUCOM-CA. Before starting classes, I purchased all of the books listed from the survey and now I am looking to sell all these books to a future class of 2018 TUCOM-CA DO student.
I am selling this package deal (books, Welch Allyn kit, equipment, etc.) over 25% off what I paid for it. Open to any offers.
If interested please contact me by email at[email protected]

Declined my interview invite on 5/5. If anyone needs a spot on that day, call the office. Good luck!

The computer requirement shows needing Windows-based OS. Does anyone know if that still holds true or will my Mac work? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
The computer requirement shows needing Windows-based OS. Does anyone know if that still holds true or will my Mac work? Thanks.
when I interviewed someone asked and a 2nd year said that there's a pretty even PC/MAC split between the students...she said it doesn't matter which you have as long as you can run the exam software!

Just received an II this morning...declining. I'm surprised that they are still sending them out this late!

Just out of curiosity, how much is the seat deposit at Touro? I don't remember it being mentioned at the interview day.

Just out of curiosity, how much is the seat deposit at Touro? I don't remember it being mentioned at the interview day.
$2000 then another $1000 on 5/15 I believe...but they said for later acceptances they may extend the $1000

$2000 then another $1000 on 5/15 I believe...but they said for later acceptances they may extend the $1000

Ah! Thanks! And I believe the 1000 is refundable or something? At least I think that's what was mentioned on their website in terms of a second deposit.

Ah! Thanks! And I believe the 1000 is refundable or something? At least I think that's what was mentioned on their website in terms of a second deposit.
I thiiink so...I'm not sure when you would have to withdraw by...June? July? first day? I believe it IS refundable in some capacity though. What'd you think of the interview?

I thiiink so...I'm not sure when you would have to withdraw by...June? July? first day? I believe it IS refundable in some capacity though. What'd you think of the interview?
It was interesting...I thought that the group interview set up was a little weird just because each applicant had unique questions and no one person's questions really tied together with another persons, so it was really hard to try to incorporate what others said within my own answers. That might have been unique to my particular group though. I did like walking around there though! Everyone seems really easy going (even if they are pretty busy). What about you? Did you like it?

It was interesting...I thought that the group interview set up was a little weird just because each applicant had unique questions and no one person's questions really tied together with another persons, so it was really hard to try to incorporate what others said within my own answers. That might have been unique to my particular group though. I did like walking around there though! Everyone seems really easy going (even if they are pretty busy). What about you? Did you like it?
loved it! had a great time and definitely have my fingers crossed!

The $1000 is refundable until the 1st day of classes.

High alternate. Notified just now via email (requested). Have to say I'm pretty bummed.

High alternate. Notified just now via email (requested). Have to say I'm pretty bummed.
Don't be discouraged. This school puts strong emphasis on the MCAT. Many people thinking about going here are the same in waitlist at MD schools. Just be patient.

High Alternate is better than low or even no alternate...

Acceptance email today! :) now to hope it wasn't a mistake email :/

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you! Hang in there!

Hey... Hang in there.. I know any wondering and waiting is tough. I hope it all works out for your liking.

Thanks everyone, not trying to be ungrateful. I'm from the east coast so I'm worried I wouldn't be able to accept the offer any later than like June and be able to go. It'll work out.

For people who were accepted and are attending, did you get a TU ID # or anything like that in your acceptance package or is that something that we get later on?

For people who were accepted and are attending, did you get a TU ID # or anything like that in your acceptance package or is that something that we get later on?

The ID # was supposed to be given to us with the acceptance packet but mine was not. Email the office of the registrar and they will give it to you.

Does anyone know if any other schools do group interviews or is Touro the only one?

Does anyone know if any other schools do group interviews or is Touro the only one?

LECOM does group interviews as well. LECOM's interviews are different in that the questions are not specific to the candidate's background - everyone goes around the room answering the same questions.

Ash, Do you have an interview coming up? Which day?

No, I decided not to apply this cycle, since I'm taking the mcat in september. But as a CA resident it is one of my top choices.

Group interviews just freak me out lol

LECOM does group interviews as well. LECOM's interviews are different in that the questions are not specific to the candidate's background - everyone goes around the room answering the same questions.
This is something I do not want to partake in...

Ash, Do you have an interview coming up? Which day?

They are still interviewing applicants into May? Maybe I should finish the secondary I was going to submit 3 months ago. ;)

Any DO/MPHers? I sent in my MPH application basically right after I got my acceptance packet and sent in the papers and all, but I didn't get any sort of response that they had gotten my application or that it would even be considered. Do they generally let you know if they've gotten your application if you're applying to the DO/MPH program? Or am I too late and the class is already filled? :(

Any DO/MPHers? I sent in my MPH application basically right after I got my acceptance packet and sent in the papers and all, but I didn't get any sort of response that they had gotten my application or that it would even be considered. Do they generally let you know if they've gotten your application if you're applying to the DO/MPH program? Or am I too late and the class is already filled? :(

Are you trying to get into the MPH that starts this summer? Orientation is tomorrow (Thursday). Your other option is to do an evening class each semester for the first two years during. The class is one evening a week from 6-9pm.

When do accepted students usually go about having their immunizations done?

You'll have one month after school starts to get everything in at the latest. That said, you should still do it this summer. The calendar states that we have an exam within the first 2 weeks of school, on the 15th.

Wow, didn't realize that either...when's the interview for? Next Mon/Tues?

Just a heads up for all applicants: the last interview of this application cycle was May 27th. Now the school will be going through their ranked wait list and sending out notices.

The next deposit is due soon and they anticipate people to withdraw their acceptances.

Do most people use laptops for taking notes or tablets during lectures?

I like my iPad for lecture notes because I can draw directly on PDF files. All the professors use PowerPoint presentations that they provide before class. I also bike to school and the iPad is lighter to carry than a computer.

Just a heads up for all applicants: the last interview of this application cycle was May 27th. Now the school will be going through their ranked wait list and sending out notices.

The next deposit is due soon and they anticipate people to withdraw their acceptances.
presumably after they accept people from this round, so probably starting on 6/9ish?

Are you trying to get into the MPH that starts this summer? Orientation is tomorrow (Thursday). Your other option is to do an evening class each semester for the first two years during. The class is one evening a week from 6-9pm.

Ah, yeah, I figured I wouldn't have time to make it to the summer classes since I only got my acceptance at the very first week or second week of May. I did get a response from them just a few days ago, so they're at least reviewing my app. Thanks for the info! :)

Withdrew my acceptance last week. Good luck everyone.